Shoutbox

[COMING SOON] Summertime Skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin (/showthread.php?tid=79962)

[COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 09:59 AM

now that we are in winter and are surrounded by cold weather it sort of feels depressing, i have a gadget on my desktop that shows its sunny in kenya where im going on holiday next year and find seeing sunny stuff on my desktop cheers me up, its because of this i decided to make this Beach Skin, originally was going to be a Blue Skin but this morning i was inspired to turn it into a beach theme, below is a screenshot.

[Image: BeachSkin.png]

please let me know what you think, remember this skins still in developement so i can make changes if necesarry.

EDIT:

ive fixed the screenshot now hope that its ok.

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by NanaFreak on 12-12-2007 at 10:01 AM

hmm would be good if you sould make the image bigger... dont like the idea... mainly because it has been done before in a very dodgy way =\

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
EDIT:

im sorry for the small screenshot but i dont know how to specify the size on these forums.

maybe take a larger image? if you make that any larger it will pixelate.
RE: RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by raghav on 12-12-2007 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
hmm would be good if you sould make the image bigger... dont like the idea... mainly because it has been done before in a very dodgy way =\

Agreed , i don't like the idea but lets see how it turns out to be.
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Felu on 12-12-2007 at 10:18 AM

No offense, but the color combination just sucks!

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 10:26 AM

i created the image based on the skin submission guidelines stating to use a resolution of 1024x768, i put the size on here to 480x360 as didnt want to make the image too big on here as it would mean people having to scroll too much, i can however make it larger if you would like.

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Mike on 12-12-2007 at 10:27 AM

I don't think you should use the name "Beach messenger" since there is another skin called like that: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=77385

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Oxy on 12-12-2007 at 10:27 AM

quote:
stating to use a resolution of 1024x768, i put the size on here to 480x360
Hyperlink the 480 image to the 1024 ;)
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by NanaFreak on 12-12-2007 at 10:29 AM

this should be called tripped out messenger... also maybe show screenshots of no borders...

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 10:35 AM

well the name is a work in progress, i couldnt see one called beach skin in the skins database so didnt realise it would conflict, nanafreak could you maybe explain why you suggested tripped out messenger im not saying its a bad suggestion im just curious as to the reason behind it.

i am willing to take on board any constructive criticism you guys have to offer, at the end of the day i just want to make a nice skin that people will enjoy.

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
No offense, but the color combination just sucks!

as i said above i will happily accept any constructive criticism offered to me, you said the colour combination was poor, i admit it could be better, however if i just randomly change colur combinations this could take months to develope, therefore if you could point out on which windows the combinations dont work on and maybe suggest a possible combination that might look better i would be happy to make the modifications.
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by NanaFreak on 12-12-2007 at 10:51 AM

quote:
nanafreak could you maybe explain why you suggested tripped out messenger im not saying its a bad suggestion im just curious as to the reason behind it.
you have to be off your face to be able to like it... or something like that
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Willz on 12-12-2007 at 11:02 AM

The colors are too strong for my liking. Perhaps a calm blue with a bit of a light orange-yellow would work nice i think.

Anyway just keep at it and im sure you'll make something people can enjoy.

RE: RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
The colors are too strong for my liking. Perhaps a calm blue with a bit of a light orange-yellow would work nice i think.

i have made some modifications to the image files and they are shown below, please let me know so i can perfect them before uploading them into the skin.

[Image: BeachGradient2.png]

[Image: background.png]

i appreciate any help i can get, nanfreak you stated earlier that i should show screenshots without the borders, what borders are you refering to exactly as theres a couple of things i might consider to be borders.
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by NanaFreak on 12-12-2007 at 12:07 PM

the aero boarders... and the show menu stuff =\

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 12:09 PM

oh right so just take off the show menus in future, ok well once i settle on new colour combinations ill have to make new screenshots and then i will do that for you.

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Phillip on 12-12-2007 at 12:12 PM

Just a tip for the next time you screenshot your skins.. Remove your contacts email addy.. I'm sure they don't want random people adding them. Might want to do the same for your own to.

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-12-2007 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Just a tip for the next time you screenshot your skins.. Remove your contacts email addy.. I'm sure they don't want random people adding them. Might want to do the same for your own to.

thanks man i havent ever done this kinda thing before so have never really thought about it but will take it on board for the future.

RE: RE: RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Aardvark on 12-13-2007 at 11:27 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Willz

i have made some modifications to the image files and they are shown below, please let me know so i can perfect them before uploading them into the skin.

[Image: BeachGradient2.png]

i appreciate any help i can get, nanfreak you stated earlier that i should show screenshots without the borders, what borders are you refering to exactly as theres a couple of things i might consider to be borders.

The initial blue colour is good. (EDIT: I just realised it's more of a green than a blue but whatever) Maybe a little bit lighter shade though, like the colour I can see on the bar under where I'm typing this post which says Options: Signature/Email Notification/Disable Smilies yeah you know what I'm talking about.

As for the gradient to red/orange, perhaps if it was to yellow it would look a lot better. Cos personally, prefer yellow sand over red any day.

Anyway it's a nice concept you've thought of here, but it's gonna be pretty tricky getting the right colour combination right, as people are usually pretty fussy when it comes to specifics on their visual styles, which is why its a good thing when you get the exact right colour on this one, it's gonna be awesome. :)
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-13-2007 at 05:57 PM

ok ive made those changes, the lighter blue may also solve my toasts problem too.

Login Screen Background:
[Image: BeachGradient.png]

Contact list Background:
[Image: background-1.png]

let me know if that looks better

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Nathan on 12-13-2007 at 06:00 PM

The blue is a tad to bright, gimme amin and I will give it a go

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-13-2007 at 07:07 PM

ok napbree i see your point, aardvark pointed me to a blue used in this forum so i did my best to match it, by the way my skin now supports wiindows live messenger 8.1 aswell as 8.5 thanks toi a lot of help from sunshine so big props to him.

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by lizard.boy on 12-13-2007 at 10:56 PM

The light blue colour used for backgrounds in this forum is #D2EDF7.
Also, I don't think sunshine would appreciate you calling her a guy. ;)

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Sunshine on 12-13-2007 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
Also, I don't think sunshine would appreciate you calling her a guy. ;)
Lol, he isn't the first doing that (online that is, never happend in real life )....thanks for telling him :cheesy:
RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by Aardvark on 12-14-2007 at 12:42 AM

YAY! Blue and yellow looks much better. :) Wrong blue though :P

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-14-2007 at 06:04 AM

sorry sunshine forgot to check your gendar symbal lol

below is the new images using the blue lizard suggested.

[Image: BeachGradient.png]

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by NanaFreak on 12-14-2007 at 09:06 AM

would you mind showing us some screenshots of it now?

RE: [COMING SOON] Beach Skin by stuartbennett on 12-14-2007 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
would you mind showing us some screenshots of it now?

sure thing, they will be up in a few minutes i just need to blue a few bits of text out and upload them. please note some of the text on the login window is still white from when i had my original darker blue if you decide ive got a good colour combinationation then ill make the changes to make the white text black so it can be readable again.

EDIT:

ok the new screenshot is shown below:

[Image: BeachSkin-1.png]

i hope you all enjoy.

RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by Shiny Rabbit on 12-15-2007 at 03:49 PM

i suggest making the top of the contact list/chat window lighter and it will perfect

RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by stuartbennett on 12-15-2007 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Rabbit
i suggest making the top of the contact list/chat window lighter and it will perfect

when you say make the top of chat window lighter do you mean the dark blue bit? the dark blue bits in chat window and on contact list are part of the dashboard and toolbars i have found any tutorials on how to customise these sections yet, as soon as i figure out how to do it i will add that to the skin, im also trying to skin the word wheel so it looks like a single continuous image running down the back of the whole contact list/chat window, well thats the plan.
RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by aNILEator on 12-15-2007 at 09:05 PM

How did you get such a dark blue as the default blue colour :S

Anyway if you'd read the skinning documentation or looked at any other skin you'd soon see how to change the top parts of the contact list and chat windows.

from memory...

Contact list is
637.png
640.png
636.png <- might be something else..... *-)

Chat window top bar
1652.png

I too suggest you change them to blend in more with your default skin colours

BY THE WAY!

You god-damn better not be skinning on top of a patched messenger, it looks like you've used mess patch.

RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by stuartbennett on 12-15-2007 at 10:23 PM

thanks anil eator, yes i do use messpatch is that going to cause any problems?

RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by Menthix on 12-15-2007 at 10:49 PM

quote:
i do use messpatch is that going to cause any problems?
Yes it will. When extracting resource you will extract the resources with the patch applied, which means all your users will be forced to have these patches applied too. This is a problem.

Disable the patch, make sure everything is back to default, and extract the resources again. Make sure you don't use the consolidated version either.
RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by aNILEator on 12-15-2007 at 11:02 PM

Actually he can use the consolidated Definitions Fine but it's highly suggested to use the Standard Styles files

I actually have my latest skin in the works in the Consolidated Folder Structure with Consolidated Definitions and original Styles files.

I plan to re-make beaver and steve soon so don't worry foreigners

RE: [COMING SOON] Summertime Skin by stuartbennett on 12-15-2007 at 11:11 PM

sorry about that menthinx i really didnt know that my extracted resourced would be prepatched if my messenger was patched when extracting them, ill try to fix it all asap.

i now have a nicely skinned login screen and contact list, i skinned word wheel and dashboard and toolbars on the contact list so it really looks nice now only the convo window to go and then ill go through my uifiles and copy my customisations to the unpatched ones.

again im sorry about the whole patched resources thing.

EDIT:

i have unpatched messenger and by completely uninstalling it deleting all messenger directories and reinstalling a new clean copy, i then reinstalled plus and have redone my UIFILES based on the newly extracted UIFILES so theres no patches applied in my skin now, after doing all that i took some new screenshots and now can show you what it all looks like at moment.

[Image: SummertimeSkin.png]

contact list and login window are now fully skinned to my satisfaction, well i might add options in to patch certain elements later assuming of course thats not against any rules as im not sure to be honest, and the convo window needs a little more work.

anyways tell me what you think of it so far.