Shoutbox

The return of Netscape? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: The return of Netscape? (/showthread.php?tid=80039)

The return of Netscape? by alegator on 12-14-2007 at 09:25 AM

Has anyone tried Netscape Navigator 9? Netscape was in my opinion the best browser when it was introduced. Does the current version follow suit?
http://browser.netscape.com/

RE: The return of Netscape? by Dane on 12-14-2007 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Has anyone tried Netscape Navigator 9? Netscape was in my opinion the best browser when it was introduced. Does the current version follow suit?

Its crap, it's based on Mozilla Firefox 2.x in whole.  Use a real browser like [Image: ie.png].
RE: The return of Netscape? by NanaFreak on 12-14-2007 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Its crap, it's based on Mozilla Firefox 2.x in whole.  Use a real browser like [Image: ie.png].
ok, that may be a "real" browser...but its nothing compaier to the way that FireFox is better in everything compared to it ;o

and i would just use FireFox anyway (maybe move to Opera, or have both =p)

oh and Dane, would be nice if you used words because i kinda have that image Adblocked :)
RE: The return of Netscape? by Oxy on 12-14-2007 at 11:06 AM

The feature list seems interesting:

quote:
Cross-platform

* Run Navigator 9 on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux!

URL Correction
URL correction

* Navigator will automatically correct common typos made in Web addresses.
    * Examples: .cmo => .com, htp:// => http://, netscape,com => netscape.com

Link Pad
Link Pad

* Use the Link Pad as a holding area for interesting links that don’t merit bookmarking.

FF2 Extensions
FF2 Extensions

* Install any Firefox ® 2-compatible extension.
    * Browse through thousands of extensions at Mozilla Add-ons.

Sidebar
Sidebar

* Use the sidebar as a "mini browser" to keep a page in plain sight while you surf through other pages.
    * Drag and drop links on the sidebar or right-click and choose "Open in Sidebar" to use the sidebar browser.

Notice to Suite Users

Netscape Navigator 9 is a browser-only release. It does not contain an e-mail client, newsgroup reader, or HTML composer.

Users of the Netscape 7.x suite may choose not to install Netscape Navigator 9 to avoid the loss of these features.

You can have the best of both worlds by keeping Netscape 7.x installed for mail and news and installing Navigator 9 for browsing the Web.

RE: The return of Netscape? by CookieRevised on 12-14-2007 at 09:08 PM

Netscape has always been my favorite (even over FireFox)....

RE: The return of Netscape? by ZrednaZ on 12-14-2007 at 11:13 PM

Firefox has nice features and all, but it crashes all the time. According to this page, I'm not the only one of this opinion.
Opera seems to be incompatible with many websites I visit on a regular basis. I'm very pleased with Opera Mini, though.
Don't know about Netscape; haven't had it installed for the past 10 years. Maybe it's like Firefox, only without the crashing? :P So unfortunately, I'm currently using IE - a browser I don't even like very much.

RE: The return of Netscape? by CookieRevised on 12-14-2007 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ
Maybe it's like Firefox, only without the crashing?
I always have defended Netscape exactly because of this reason, at least from my own experience (see old browser war threads :p)....

I rarely got crashes, while others reported this site or that site would crash firefox... ;)

I dunno if it still is true, but the difference between Netscape and Firefox was (is?) mostly that Firefox is open-source and worked upon by many people and communities. Netscape is closed-source and made by a dedicated set of people. I always thought of Netscape as the example of how open-source software isn't  always automatically good. Netscape often had (has?) fixes for stuff which is still buggy in FireFox. With Netscape they first make sure no (known) bugs exist, before adding a feature. With Firefox it was (is?) often the other way around. The only thing I see people who actually have used Netscape (instead of hearsay) comlaining about is that it looks old-fashion. I could care less; better old-fashion than buggy with all flashy skins.
RE: The return of Netscape? by kao on 12-15-2007 at 12:16 AM

Camino ftw ;D

RE: The return of Netscape? by markee on 12-15-2007 at 05:20 AM

Cookie is old school and only likes the ones who started everything.  If he could mod an atari to play DVDs I'm sure he would be there :P

RE: RE: The return of Netscape? by owenw on 12-16-2007 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
quote:
Originally posted by alegator

Well...not technically. So it's based on Firefox? mmm...that would be wrong. It runs on the same engine that firefox runs on to render the web, which is Gecko/20071127 or there abouts...so its not really THAT similar to Firefox.

I used to love netscape till they got bought out...

Now...firefox is the best browser which I will continue to use, just because of the security,speed and stability.

IE? Gahh! Quick!! Everyone run!!! It's a giant security flaw!!
Just kidding...IE7 isnt actually half bad now..

I've used FF since before the 0.9PR Beta, and I've only ever once seen a crash...this is on Windows Even...maybe your system is a little unstable...:P
RE: The return of Netscape? by -dt- on 12-16-2007 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owenw
Well...not technically. So it's based on Firefox? mmm...that would be wrong. It runs on the same engine that firefox runs on to render the web, which is Gecko/20071127 or there abouts...so its not really THAT similar to Firefox.
er what? it is firefox + a theme + a few options like an option to use the IE rendering engine.
(just like flock is :P)

http://browser.netscape.com/releasenotes/

quote:
Originally posted by that page

Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5 is based on Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11.

RE: RE: The return of Netscape? by owenw on 12-16-2007 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
er what? it is firefox + a theme + a few options like an option to use the IE rendering engine.
(just like flock is :P)

http://browser.netscape.com/releasenotes/

quote:
Originally posted by that page

Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5 is based on Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11.

Hmmmmmmm....FF also has these things tho...so why not just use ff, geez! lol, You can get an IE tab with a plugin. I believe thats the same method this new netscape uses.

Anyone have any idea if it can render all sorts of pages properly? such as gmail, and Windows Live hotmail?

Also, didnt they get bought out by AOL now?
RE: The return of Netscape? by CookieRevised on 12-17-2007 at 03:49 AM

quote:
Hmmmmmmm....FF also has these things tho...so why not just use ff, geez! lol, You can get an IE tab with a plugin. I believe thats the same method this new netscape uses.
No, it isn't just a jacket around FF. It is a rewrite, done by a dedicated in-house set of developpers.

quote:
Anyone have any idea if it can render all sorts of pages properly? such as gmail, and Windows Live hotmail?
Those show without any problem, even in Netscape 8. I assume they would show just the same, without errors in Netscape Navigator 9.

In fact Netscape Navigator 9 apparently doesn't use the rendering engine of MSIE anymore, but actually uses MSIE itself to display MSIE-only pages. Which should mean that even more MSIE-only sites (all?) would be supported, including ActiveX, etc....

quote:
Also, didnt they get bought out by AOL now?
IIRC AOL is the owner yes, but that doesn't mean anything negative at all...

-------------

PS: Netscape is, unlike FF, always properly reconized as the default browser. You wont have any problems clicking on links and MSIE opening instead...
RE: The return of Netscape? by Omar on 12-17-2007 at 04:03 AM

I remember the old Nestcape Navigator.... :cry:

RE: The return of Netscape? by Eddie on 12-17-2007 at 04:54 AM

The only feature i liked the sound of in that change log was the auto correction thing, would be handy as i tend  to do that a lot :P

RE: RE: The return of Netscape? by rav0 on 12-18-2007 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
The only feature i liked the sound of in that change log was the auto correction thing, would be handy as i tend  to do that a lot :P
The new Google Toolbar does that.
RE: The return of Netscape? by alegator on 12-30-2007 at 01:13 AM

Well, it seems it's the end of Netscape
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2242152,00.asp

RE: The return of Netscape? by ShawnZ on 12-30-2007 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In fact Netscape Navigator 9 apparently doesn't use the rendering engine of MSIE anymore, but actually uses MSIE itself to display MSIE-only pages. Which should mean that even more MSIE-only sites (all?) would be supported, including ActiveX, etc....

actually, it's just firefox 2.0, so it doesn't have any support for IE-only pages at all, or activex.

[/thread revival]
RE: The return of Netscape? by CookieRevised on 12-30-2007 at 10:06 AM

Netscape 9 is not just Firefox 2 with a skin, shawnz.
Netscape and Firefox share the same technology and Gecko rendering engine (rv 1.8.1.11pre), yes, but that doesn't mean Netscape is just only a Firefox skin (not yet). Netscape 9 shares more code with Firefox, than Netscape 8 did, also true...

Both Firefox and Netscape are still different branches based upon the Mozilla technologies, they are not the same thing in a different jacket, and they are not for the same usergroup either (Firefox is more aimed at the developper-usergroup, while Netscape is more aimed at the end-usergroup). Netscape 9 is based upon what Firefox 2 uses, but that does not mean they are the same thing.

If you want Firefox + theme (like some people claim Netscape just is), you can find that here.
(and this is exactly what they recommend people should do if they want to coninue using "netscape" after Februari)

RE: The return of Netscape? by Verte on 01-01-2008 at 05:30 AM

Firefox rant:

Firefox used to crash sometimes for me. Not regularly, but sometimes. It was almost always while viewing WMP or QT content, so I put it down to those plugins, and that there isn't enough isolation between the browser and the plugin. These days I block plugins and javascript by default [they add nothing to the browsing experience, other than weight].

I can't say I haven't had any crashes in the last year. However, I assume that these have mostly been out-of-memory crashes. With the known resource leaks when using Firefox with X, and my 256 MB ram, not to mention all the other stuff I have loaded [usually two Evinces, one or two open offices, Firefox with 200+ tabs, two Emacsen with 20-30 open buffers, terminals and repls, sage, xmms] it's hard to believe it runs at all.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with proprietary plugins so much anymore [the gnu flash clone is well written], and so any crash that has happened during the last few months I attribute to running an unstable and rather buggy old kernel.

The conclusion I've drawn is that Firefox crashes are in fact plugin crashes. Blocking plugins and Javascript, aside from getting rid of the cruft from the net (such as popups and advertisements that steal focus), seem to make for a much better browser.

RE: The return of Netscape? by vaccination on 01-01-2008 at 11:15 AM

The quicktime crashes I believe were a Firefox bug, as I used to get that. Google revealed it happened for a lot of other people too, and it got fixed, I believe.  But yeah, most crashes are probably due to dodgy plugins  :P

I haven't had any crashes in the Firefox 3 beta yet though.