Shoutbox

Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Forum: Skin Requests (/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+------ Thread: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? (/showthread.php?tid=80074)

Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 12-15-2007 at 02:04 PM

As I stated in this thread: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79851&page=1 I believe the skinning engine is powerful but not enough, although of course this is the start and better skins will come out.

The question is would it be possible (and does someone want to atempt it) to make a skin like this:

[Image: msnmessenger20screenshoeq5.jpg]

Thats right: Make WLM 8.5/9.0 look like MSN Messenger 2.0!
Reasons: None but it would really prove the power of the skinning engine IMO and hey maybe someone does want a very MINIMAL Messenger like old times.

Somone willing to do this?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Matti on 12-15-2007 at 02:11 PM

One problem would be the classic Windows style. In Messenger 2.0, there were no UIFILEs, but now we have to use UIFILEs for our GUI. So you can't say: "Hey there, Messenger GUI Engine! Can you please f*ck off with your UIFILEs, I want to use a simple Windows style without those fancy PNGs and stuff!".

Of course, you can make a Windows 95-alike window using UIFILEs, but it won't take the style from Windows itself but from the GUI. But I think it'd look cool to have an old looking Messenger running on Vista, so I don't think that'd be a problem. :P

I may want to try this, if I really don't find any inspiration for a skin. At the moment, I'm at the point of "What shall I try, and what can I do?". I already tried to install Wave11 MSN for 7.5 to extract the resources and attempt revive it but the UIFILEs were unreadable (i.e., no line breaks and I cba to add them).

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by vikke on 12-15-2007 at 02:18 PM

Using the current Messenger GUI framework, you cannot develop a Windows window, but you can make it look like one. But it will never be a genuine window. For example if you change theme color or something, the Messenger windows will still look the same.
MSN Messenger 2 doesn't use UIFILEs (as far as I know), so you cannot view them, or port them over. :(

Mattike: What editor did you use? You might've used an editor which couldn't read the line breaks.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Matti on 12-15-2007 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Mattike: What editor did you use? You might've used an editor which couldn't read the line breaks.
Nope, the cause is that the skinners tried to get their resources as small as possible. Therefore, they removed the tabbing and line breaks in their UIFILEs. Unfortunately, The Messenger Lab died some years ago and I haven't had contact with either Fizical or theunknown since then... Also, it seems like Wave11 MSN used a lot of gradients instead of PNGs and I have no clue if those would still work on WLM 8.5. But well, I'd give it a try if someone could "beautify" the UIFILEs. (I have them extracted, give a ring if you want to try and "decode" them :P)
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 12-15-2007 at 07:34 PM

Difficult but a challenge. I believe it would be intresting if somone could pull this off.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 12-15-2007 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
Difficult but a challenge. I believe it would be intresting if somone could pull this off.

I could do it.

It's not that difficult but yeah it'd just look like msgr2 in a gui way, it wouldn't be all in built icons into a toolbar etc.

what was the chat window like?
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Jimbo on 12-15-2007 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:

I could do it.

It's not that difficult but yeah it'd just look like msgr2 in a gui way, it wouldn't be all in built icons into a toolbar etc.

what was the chat window like?
Kinda like windows messenger, but a bit more "old"
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 12-15-2007 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo

Ya know..... some members seem to get dumber each day :( that really doesn't help me make a skin just saying old. 8-)

Can you provide a screenshot of the chat window?
RE: RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Willz on 12-16-2007 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Nope, the cause is that the skinners tried to get their resources as small as possible. Therefore, they removed the tabbing and line breaks in their UIFILEs. Unfortunately, The Messenger Lab died some years ago and I haven't had contact with either Fizical or theunknown since then... Also, it seems like Wave11 MSN used a lot of gradients instead of PNGs and I have no clue if those would still work on WLM 8.5. But well, I'd give it a try if someone could "beautify" the UIFILEs. (I have them extracted, give a ring if you want to try and "decode" them :P)

Gradients still exist in 8.5 so there is no need to worry there.
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 12-16-2007 at 07:01 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo

Ya know..... some members seem to get dumber each day :( that really doesn't help me make a skin just saying old. 8-)

Can you provide a screenshot of the chat window?
Well since 1.0 didnt have webcam features, maybe some of the GUI could also be taken from Windows Messenger, which can be installed on a XP machine.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by ShawnZ on 12-16-2007 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Well since 1.0 didnt have webcam features, maybe some of the GUI could also be taken from Windows Messenger, which can be installed on a XP machine.

o.O

or they could just... put the new features in logical places?

windows messenger and msn messenger 2 are completely different :/
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 12-16-2007 at 07:50 PM

[Image: msnvj8.jpg]

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 12-19-2007 at 11:30 PM

Anyone working on this?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 12-20-2007 at 12:15 AM

You know the rules on double posting chair, and you just posted a shot of windows messenger 8-)

I'm not going to even going to consider working on this till 2008 sometime

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Willz on 12-20-2007 at 10:51 AM

meh, to be honest I don't think this is something people are gonna dig.

Like yeah I'm all for the old school messenger resurrecting (like 8.1 and 8.0 beta). But this is like going from XP back to windows 98 :P

Plus because the UI relied more on windows back then it would be too much of a pain to get that working properly if at all :P

btw not every suggestion that is put up on the forums is gonna get made :P so please don't take it the wrong way if ideas just remain ideas.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by mattisdada on 12-20-2007 at 12:39 PM

I like the IDEA of it, but i wouldnt want to use it/make it...

RE: RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 01-07-2008 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
meh, to be honest I don't think this is something people are gonna dig.

Like yeah I'm all for the old school messenger resurrecting (like 8.1 and 8.0 beta). But this is like going from XP back to windows 98 :P

Plus because the UI relied more on windows back then it would be too much of a pain to get that working properly if at all :P

btw not every suggestion that is put up on the forums is gonna get made :P so please don't take it the wrong way if ideas just remain ideas.
I would use it if it was made correctly.

Id like to see this skin not because of its usability but as a "concept skin" to show the real power of the Plus! skinning engine.
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 03-08-2008 at 01:58 AM

I'd love something like this too.

I use the "Windows Standard" visual theme, even in Vista. And it's annoying to have every window with the same style and then Messenger still looks like Vista.

[Image: mwsnap032cq5.png]

Even if it's not technically possible to just apply the visual theme to it someone should be able to hack together the screenshots to make this look more "classic"?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 03-08-2008 at 11:11 PM

you have a good point but even so, surely it's to save resources yeah? why use such a memory hog as wlm????!!!

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 03-09-2008 at 11:56 PM

I use it because I prefer the simple, clean and minimalistic style.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 03-10-2008 at 12:26 AM

quote:
you have a good point but even so, surely it's to save resources yeah? why use such a memory hog as wlm????!!!
Well because WLM is the only client compatible with Plus! (and its skins)

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Armanius on 03-21-2008 at 10:55 AM

Could it be possible to use the Trillian skin for MSN Look-a-Like? Or to create something like MSN Messenger 5/4.8 skin?
look here]

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 03-25-2008 at 07:13 PM

I'd really like to see someone undertake this project. I seems a lot more usable than some faggy Sweeney Todd bullshiz.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 03-25-2008 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the_lone_bard
I seems a lot more usable than some faggy Sweeney Todd bullshiz.
That looked like one of the better skins in the database to me :S

A skin is a skin, it won't be any more usable than the client it's based on tbh :S If you mean suitable (as if you have a classic theme on windows) then yeah I accept that
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 03-25-2008 at 10:33 PM

I mean that it'd be more usable by a majority of people. I don't see a lot of people jumping up to proclaim their love of Johnny Depp with a MSN skin of him. But apparently thats the only type of quality skin we'll get for a while.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Justin on 03-25-2008 at 10:44 PM

You are joking? Did you see ALM?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 03-31-2008 at 01:19 AM

Maybe Ill try this out myself as my first skin :) Id just need screenshots/images of messenger 2.0

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 03-31-2008 at 06:55 AM

i'm working on a win classic msn classic atm

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 04-02-2008 at 01:01 PM

Thank you.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 04-02-2008 at 01:08 PM

can someone provide a screenshot of what conversations windows looked like in MSN 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 please?

I think 4 and 5 were basically Windows messenger but would be nice for some confirmation. No I will not track down and install various virtual machines just for this.

OR I might just make this a win classic theme, using the default icons of WLM 8.5 /9.0 but so it at least fits with classic theme borders etc.

It just looks horrible with 8 bit coloured icons +o(

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 04-02-2008 at 06:58 PM

Can you even install an old version and use it? Doesnt the server reject older versions? So you wouldnt be able to open a conversation?

Anyway I tried to track down any screenshots I could and didnt find much but I'll post a few things I did find...

[Image: msniconsfullsizevx4.gif]

[Image: msnversionscy4.gif]

[Image: 180pxmsnmessenger20scretp4.png]

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 04-02-2008 at 07:22 PM

really, still after pre-4.7 shots but thanks lone_bard good effort there :)

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 04-02-2008 at 10:14 PM

Yeah I searched like hell for 2.0 3.0 and 3.5 screenshots but the couple that I found were dead links :(

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by TheSteve on 04-03-2008 at 05:32 AM

Can I suggest using the dfc function for things like scrollbars rather than including images?

dfc function info:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80254

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 04-04-2008 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheSteve
Can I suggest using the dfc function for things like scrollbars rather than including images?

dfc function info:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=80254

You tell me how the hell it'd work on all operating systems with win classic and where the winclassic theme is then I'll give it a go

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by TheSteve on 04-07-2008 at 03:36 AM

DrawFrameControl doesn't rely on the theming APIs. It always paints in Windows Classic mode regardless of whether you're using Windows Classic or not.

As for OSs, it'll still only work in XP and Vista.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by riahc4 on 05-08-2008 at 08:00 AM

I think the proper thing to do is install MSN Messenger 1.0/2.0/3.0/4.0/etc on a virtual Win 98 SE machine and rip the images.

If someone could give me some links to the installs, Ill be more than happy to do it myself :) I also need the patch that allows old versions of MSN Messenger to connect to the service (or somehow emulate it so I can open convo windows and stuff like that)

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 05-08-2008 at 09:59 AM

quote:
I also need the patch that allows old versions of MSN Messenger to connect to the service

msnserversx but it's hard to find and didn't work when i tried
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Aibita on 05-11-2008 at 07:03 PM

Okay, so is 5.0 trying to be made at the momment?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by tony on 05-11-2008 at 07:05 PM

Yes.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Aibita on 05-11-2008 at 07:06 PM

Oh, alright sounds good :) i was also looking for this to be made as well....

but i dident think it was Possible,

Hmmm... is it possible that it would be finnished today?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Matti on 05-11-2008 at 07:35 PM

You can't make a decent skin on one day. Seriously, if someone was already working on this, it would take some weeks to make it good, given that the person has some other things (work/school) to do as well.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Aibita on 05-11-2008 at 07:37 PM

Blah.    im a pushie person, i like having things done in one day.

k thnx. dont mean to sound  ''demanding''  but im also one of the people waiting for this.

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Th3rmal on 05-11-2008 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aibita
Blah.    im a pushie person, i like having things done in one day.

k thnx. dont mean to sound  ''demanding''  but im also one of the people waiting for this.
You could try making it yourself
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Aibita on 05-11-2008 at 08:54 PM

Aha.  i dont know how, think ill just wait (=

RE: RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 05-27-2008 at 03:43 PM

quote:
If someone could give me some links to the installs, Ill be more than happy to do it myself :) I also need the patch that allows old versions of MSN Messenger to connect to the service (or somehow emulate it so I can open convo windows and stuff like that)

If someone else had that they'd do it themself. Why would they send it to you just to screenshot?
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 05-27-2008 at 03:45 PM

I'll work on this after my current enormous task ;)

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Basilis on 05-27-2008 at 04:05 PM

Does your task have to do with what Willz was talking about?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 05-27-2008 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Does your task have to do with what Willz was talking about?

Possibly, depends what he talked about, it'll be of benefit to you guys anyway :)
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Basilis on 05-28-2008 at 09:27 AM

Won't you participate in the contest?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 05-28-2008 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Won't you participate in the contest?

Yeah I'm not barred from entering, and Willz thinks I'll have a good chance seeing as I'm going to be remaking all my skins made and in progress :)

The question is do I release what I'm working on now or wait till after the comp, it'd aid people and expand their potential like with Open Live. But that would also hinder my chances :P
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by Basilis on 05-28-2008 at 06:24 PM

Something shaped right?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 05-29-2008 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Something shaped right?

No not at all
RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by the_lone_bard on 06-16-2008 at 12:14 AM

Any advancement on this by anyone?

RE: Would a "MSN Messenger 2.0" skin be possible? by aNILEator on 06-17-2008 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by the_lone_bard
Any advancement on this by anyone?
Working on Beaver and Steve (about 65% done) then 'OR' then MSNAges :) but anyone can feel free to jump right in with this :P