Shoutbox

Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) (/showthread.php?tid=80105)

Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) by owenw on 12-16-2007 at 10:41 AM

And Microsoft's gonna start rolling out the XP SP3 Public Beta in the coming few days...It's actually quite exciting. I love my XP SP2 Professional Machine as it is at the moment, and this pack should just make it faster, more stable and secure than it already is.

I'm a little guttered there won't be any specific new interface features or any major noticable updates, such as security center in SP2, but good on you Microsoft for actually releasing this pack, and not just trashing Windows XP for your Over-priced over DRM'd new Windows Vista.

I've attached a (partly) official SP3 Fixes list
so check it out (if you didnt know SP3 was around because you were under a rock, please slowly move away from the screen now.)

So, here's the official PDF file from microsoft, talking about the new features...note the "Activation Keyless" installation. Great for VMware and Virtual PC testing without a key code ;)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/7/6874...ice%20Pack%203.pdf

Mmm...so many updates.
So, what do you guys think? Will it actually be any good?

RE: Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) by Jarrod on 12-16-2007 at 11:57 AM

doesn't it make my welcome screen look like vista? that might be nice

RE: Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) by andrewdodd13 on 12-16-2007 at 04:52 PM

I already have it.

There's nothing new noticeable.

All I can say is basically what's in the PDF file - it's a bunch of roll ups and bug fixes that MS can't be bothered to release as individual patches. The new features are unlikely to be noticed by any home users.

RE: RE: Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) by owenw on 12-16-2007 at 11:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I already have it.

There's nothing new noticeable.

All I can say is basically what's in the PDF file - it's a bunch of roll ups and bug fixes that MS can't be bothered to release as individual patches. The new features are unlikely to be noticed by any home users.

This is true.
I had an interesting early version of SP3, which didnt really do much, but i did notice my start up speed was 4 seconds faster...so not really sure how they did that...but moh. Security updates are always good.
RE: RE: Gee! Microsoft, thanks for the gift!! (SP3) by owenw on 12-16-2007 at 11:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
doesn't it make my welcome screen look like vista? that might be nice

You wish...:P

That's what the Vista Transformation Pack 8 is for...