Shoutbox

[HELP!] sharing folder - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: [HELP!] sharing folder (/showthread.php?tid=80199)

[HELP!] sharing folder by summerlovex on 12-18-2007 at 05:51 PM

yesterday i shared a msn sharing folder with my friend. this is my 1st time using sharing folder. :$ she asked me to share some songs with her. then one thing that i worried most is, if she accidentally delete the sharing folder from her computer, does it mean my songs will dissappear from my computer too? forgive my stupidity. so anyone pls answer me?  thanks in advance.

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by andrewdodd13 on 12-18-2007 at 06:10 PM

No, they won't be deleted.

When you share files with someone, Messenger actually copies them to a hidden directory.

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by Spunky on 12-18-2007 at 06:14 PM

Your sharing folder is is just a so they can see the files you have on offer. They choose it and it transfers automatically. They can delete local files (their end), but not remote files (your end) (Y)

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-18-2007 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Your sharing folder is is just a so they can see the files you have on offer. They choose it and it transfers automatically. They can delete local files (their end), but not remote files (your end) (Y)

When you're using shared folders, anything you copy in the folder is sent to your contact, if your contact deletes a file out of the shared folder, it will be deleted off your machine also. However, it won't delete the source file (The target file which you've copied from another location, INTO the shared folder). :)
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by aNILEator on 12-18-2007 at 07:32 PM

Actually Sean, the files do not get deleted out of your own shared folder, they don't synch like that

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-18-2007 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Actually Sean, the files do not get deleted out of your own shared folder, they don't synch like that

Yes, they do. Test it with a contact, I just tested it with two of my own. That's the point of shared folders :-/.
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by Dane on 12-18-2007 at 07:46 PM

quote:

I just tested this theory on WLM9 and what sean says is indeed correct, and this is also the expected behavior on WLM 8.5.  Sorry, the file do get deleted :-P.
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by aNILEator on 12-18-2007 at 07:49 PM

Whenever I've deleted files from my folder and I change computers or format my pc or something I always get the contacts started sharing folder requests and get all the old files back.

If I delete a file I don't get it sent back whilst I still use that computer but as soon as i switch or format then yeah i do, I've never had it work as you both say it works

RE: RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by freak544 on 12-18-2007 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Whenever I've deleted files from my folder and I change computers or format my pc or something I always get the contacts started sharing folder requests and get all the old files back.

If I delete a file I don't get it sent back whilst I still use that computer but as soon as i switch or format then yeah i do, I've never had it work as you both say it works

When I format my PC this also happens and occionsly when I go onto my sisters PC the sharing folders can also update on there
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-18-2007 at 07:57 PM

quote:

Well there's a problem with the synch proccess. Are you sure that it's successfully getting synched to your contacts when you delete something? Because that's what point of haing a synched folder, the same files PC2PC (So if you delete something, it's deleted off both ends of the user).
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by aNILEator on 12-18-2007 at 08:10 PM

Well obviously it isn't if I can delete the files, whilst they're online and we can synch etc.

Even so If I sign in after these folders/files are deleted then shouldn't it only send the files that originate from them?

I didn't think sharing folders were meant to work like Groove

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-18-2007 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Even so If I sign in after these folders/files are deleted then shouldn't it only send the files that originate from them?

Yes indeed. I'm just going to assume that your contact didn't sucessfully synch the folder with you because if it had, then when you sign back in it shouldn't synch the files you deleted; it would have been deleted on their end also.

Are you in the 9.0 beta?
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by aNILEator on 12-18-2007 at 08:18 PM

I am indeed, also beta tester for Plus! and SP3/4

I'm not using 9.0 at the moment though as I will not install it on my Dads PC whilst I am staying here for Christmas

When I'm back home I may do some VM tests on this and 9.0.

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-18-2007 at 08:21 PM

quote:
I am indeed, also beta tester for Plus! and SP3/4

I'm not using 9.0 at the moment though as I will not install it on my Dads PC whilst I am staying here for christmas

Well when you're able to test it on a machine running 9.0, and add me on messenger and I'll test it with you because it's functioning properly on my end :).

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by andrewdodd13 on 12-18-2007 at 11:13 PM

Usually when you delete a file using the sharing folders window, then it is deleted from the Sharing Folders cache on your hard drive. If you delete it from the folder it is usually re-downloaded. (Although this makes the USN journal service have no point in my opinion...)

I think Nile may be right now I think about it - I think you are only able to delete your own files, not 100% on that... will do some testing... when I have a contact online :p

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by freak544 on 12-18-2007 at 11:29 PM

Even if you do delete the file your end it may not delete on the other persons PC as they may have moved the file but its strange then when I sign into my sisters computer it updates my sharing folder on there with the files I sent one off my contacts previously

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by summerlovex on 12-19-2007 at 01:07 AM

omg thanks everyone!!! i thought no one will going to reply me. (:
but i still get confused. lol

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-19-2007 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I think you are only able to delete your own files, not 100% on that... will do some testing... when I have a contact online :p

No, that's not correct. That's the whole entire point of synching files between users. You SHARE the files, no matter what's in the folder, it's always synched. If a file is deleted from the folder, it's deleted off BOTH ends. That's expected functionality. However, if the synch is unsuccessful (Which happens very frequently), the files could remain on your contacts end until a successful synch between them. It's always been like this since Microsoft introduced shared folders into Messenger :-/.

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by aNILEator on 12-19-2007 at 03:15 AM

Hence why we all think it's the other way around.

Sharing folders are rubbish anyway :P

RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by RebelSean on 12-19-2007 at 03:22 AM

quote:
Hence why we all think it's the other way around.

Sharing folders are rubbish anyway :P

I didn't mean that the synch problem has been in messenger since shared folders were introduced, I meant that it's has supposed to work the proper way listed above since it was added to messenger. It has always synched perfectly for me :p.
RE: [HELP!] sharing folder by gaetano_gatto on 04-21-2008 at 03:21 PM

To be finished,

if user A deletes a file from its PC (using sharing folders button or deleting it directly from the folder C:\Documents and Settings\USER_A\Local Settings\Application data\Microsoft\Messenger\USER_A@somewhere.com\Sharing Folders), will user B have its copy of the file deleted or not?

if not, does this happen every time or only in some particular occasion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've a problem:

till yesterday, I used Messenger always on PC_1 and Sharing Folders Service worked perfectly;

now I use PC_2 for Messenger but SFS doens't work at all: on Option Panel, it's is written PC_B doesn't support that service...

I don't konow how to solve this situation! Help me please!!