Shoutbox

messages get lost with skinning in xp - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: messages get lost with skinning in xp (/showthread.php?tid=80227)

messages get lost with skinning in xp by warmth on 12-19-2007 at 04:21 PM

Well after many days of test... Now I'm able to say that there is an actual problem when you run WLM 8.5 in Windows XP with an applied skin... When you login you can send your contacts one message... the next one will be ALWAYS lost... so you will be able to only say HI and talk no more with them...

I have tried in windows vista but there all works perfect...
I have tried enabling several skins and the behavior is always the same...
I have disable all skins running XP and all works perfect...

the only thing is that I'm only tried this in my office... so I will do another test with my laptop (has xp) on my home and let you know the result...

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by Patchou on 12-19-2007 at 08:28 PM

Skinning cannot change any internal behaviour of Messenger, this can only be the result of some coincidence. Either that or you did something very strange in yoru skin files (tryanother skin).

Anybody else can give this a try?

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by duck! on 12-19-2007 at 08:37 PM

Nope, working all fine here.

RE: RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by warmth on 12-19-2007 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
(tryanother skin).
8-) you didn't read my whole post... I already tried with all the skins availables, to check if was a problem of my skin... but the same happens with all the skins... and is just when I have one skin enable running WLM over XP... cause in vista works perfect and disabling all the skins solves the problem...:(
RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by Voldemort on 12-19-2007 at 10:23 PM

This behaviour does not happen here, with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600) and Messenger Plus! Live 4.50.0.310...

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by NanaFreak on 12-20-2007 at 10:47 AM

i have those specs, nothing wrong.. all my messages work fine =\ must be your dodgy internet ;o

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by ahmetgns on 12-20-2007 at 11:04 PM

I have experienced some similar (or exactly same) strange behaviours after 4.50. We share an internet connection (ADSL) with my twin on one desktop and one laptop and when I send a message to my brother, he mostly doesn't receive it. I don't know why. Sometimes, very lately, he receives them (or some of them or only the first one of them). Both computers have Apple Live Messenger enabled (not sure which skin my brother is using though but it must be ALM). I don't remember whether I sent a message when I'm not using any skin.

But to other contacts out of our LAN, my messages are sent successfully, or I think they are successful because all of the time they reply :)

warmth, I don't know if you are testing this on a LAN but a LAN could be the cause of this bug, but it is still a bug of 4.50 :P imho.

Since this issue has been posted, I'll continue testing this as soon as I return home and try to post again.

Edit: XP / 8.5 / 4.50 / ALM skin

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by warmth on 12-20-2007 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
warmth, I don't know if you are testing this on a LAN
yes I am... but that LAN is behind a proxy...

Here in my laptop using xp and WLM 8.5 skinned with Old School Messenger all goes fine...
RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by NanaFreak on 12-21-2007 at 03:32 AM

i have done it over "lan"

but i though that the messages still have to go over the internet to the wlm servers... so really there is no lan sending of messages ;)

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by ahmetgns on 12-24-2007 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
this can only be the result of some coincidence.
Yes, probably a coincidence, now every message is being sent successfully here.
RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by albert on 12-24-2007 at 06:18 PM

I'm probably going to be totally wrong here, but I have a question to ask :

When someone actually applies as skin, that has all of the possible images and information changed from the original WLM skin, does it affect the program's name in anyway?

The reason I ask this is simple : I installed the Apple skin on my sister's computer, and once installed, WLM would just not log-in anymore, I've taken off the skin, and it did work instantly.

Now, although it's not suposed to change anything of the Messenger behavior, could it be that if it changes the name of the program, or its proprietes that this could then be blocked by an anti-virus or firewall?

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by warmth on 01-17-2008 at 09:23 PM

after a long long long test in my office... I maybe have to tell you this... I haven't this problem before installing WLM 9 in this PC, then I decided to uninstall it and downgrade to WLM 8.5... and the problem appeared.. I am not so sure if the problem began in that moment or days after... so I can tell you if the issue is because the uninstalling of WLM 9 and reinstalling of WLM 8.5... but this can be the real reason...

I decided today to install WLM 9 again to do a test... and the test failed... cause with WLM 9 (with MP!L enabled or disabled) my first message to a contact was sent but all the others after that one got lost... so I downgraded again to WLM 8.5 and the problem (without using a skin) began to appear... so I decide to restart messenger disabling MP!L and something very weird happened... all worked right :S...

parallel to this I turned on my laptop (the one is conected wireless to the same proxy server) and the WLM worked perfect with MP!L, and for your surprise SKINNED :S...

so I don't know what the f*** is happening here but is very very very weird... and seems to be a problem with MP!L 4.5 and my office PC (maybe for the installation of WLM 9)...

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by danzmann on 04-15-2008 at 03:59 PM

Greeetings,

I have experienced the lost of messagens after the succesfull first in the following conditions:

-In my office the firewall blocks port 1863 (*). The WLM tryes that port and, unsuccessfull, tryes port 80 and can estabilish the connection. In that condition, the messages I type in MSGPLUS, only the first one is delivered. The following messages are lost.

-In my home, using the same notebook, without firewall blocking port 1863 (*) the MSGPLUS works fine. No messages lost.

(*) I have monitored the ports using "netstat -a" in command prompt window.  The problem occurs only when using port 80 to establish communication.

Hope my post can help.

Btw, using XP SP2, WLM 8.5, MSGPLUS 4.6.

Regards,

Enio.

RE: messages get lost with skinning in xp by warmth on 04-15-2008 at 06:19 PM

same is happening here... but I haven't done those tests my friend... is nice to see that someone is suffering same thing like me... maybe this will bring the attention of patch to solve it...

if this helps my proxy server is using port 8080...