Shoutbox

[Help] How to edit "about" - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Help] How to edit "about" (/showthread.php?tid=80314)

[Help] How to edit "about" by Dheano on 12-21-2007 at 11:58 PM

I need to know how to edit "about".

Im not quite sure how to, so any help is appeciated.

Thanks ~ Dheano

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 12:39 AM

I'm going to assume that you are talking about WLM about... replace/modify strings or images there???

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by Dheano on 12-22-2007 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
I'm going to assume that you are talking about WLM about... replace/modify strings or images there???

Correct :)
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 12:55 AM

The logo-image used in the about box is 1075. Not sure if you can edit the definition easily though. It doesn't look like a Messenger window, perhaps it's a dialog. I've made some string searches, and I haven't been able to find any about-box strings. :(
I would try editing the PE signatures with Resource Hacker, change "Product Name" and see if that would change the about box, if that's what you want..

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by Dheano on 12-22-2007 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
The logo-image used in the about box is 1075. Not sure if you can edit the definition easily though. It doesn't look like a Messenger window, perhaps it's a dialog. I've made some string searches, and I haven't been able to find any about-box strings. :(
I would try editing the PE signatures with Resource Hacker, change "Product Name" and see if that would change the about box, if that's what you want..

You can, which I've looked at but didn't proceed, as I think it's against Microsoft rules 8-)
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 02:36 AM

this is to change the string of about window:

code:
<String Id="61143">Windows Live Messenger</String>
and this for the image there:
code:
<Picture Id="1075"><File>1075.png</File></Picture>

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 02:50 AM

For 9.0 And 8.5:

code:
<Replace>
                    <Strings>                           
                        <String Id="20176">RRElive Messenger</String>
                        <String Id="61143">RRElive Messenger</String>
</Strings>
</Replace>

So you need it in the Strings and replace bit, this will change the bar to whatever you want(In my example RRElive Messenger)

If you paste that exact code in it will read(9.0)
"RRElive Messenger BETA
Version 2009 (Build 9.0.1407.1107)
Copyright C 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."
And the rest will be the same.

To change the logo at the top its ID is 1075
Script is
code:
<Pictures>
<Picture Id="1075"><File>1075.png</File></Picture>
</Pictures>
So you need it between Pictures.

Hope that helped :)

Oh and note changing the copyright is infact illegall. Dont try and change it. For the love of god DONT CHANGE IT!
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 02:53 AM

was it needed to be repeted??? can you tell me exactly for what are you changing the string 20176??? I bet you don't know... and just copied it from Apple Live Messenger...

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 03:50 AM

I can easily tell you why.

Look into msglang_strings. Then press CTRL+F. And find "20176".

As you can see, 20176=Windows Live Messenger. Now we want to get rid of all isntances of Windows Live Messenger so we replace Windows Live Messenger with RRElive Messenger.

Im fairly sure it replaces the one down the bottom(In the bars)(I did it all at once, not sure what thigns that replaces EXACTLY)

And could you curve your attitutude please.

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 08:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
For 9.0 And 8.5:
code:
<Replace>
                    <Strings>                           
                        <String Id="20176">RRElive Messenger</String>
                        <String Id="61143">RRElive Messenger</String>
</Strings>
</Replace>

You should not do like this. You should have one ResGroup for 9.0 and one for 8.5, otherwise you might change the wrong strings.
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 09:42 AM

Hmm yes, true. But, arn't they both the same for 9.0 and 8.5?

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 09:52 AM

quote:
Hmm yes, true. But, arn't they both the same for 9.0 and 8.5?
Oh well if that's the case, then no. Sorry.
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 09:56 AM

Oh no my mistake. Sorry!

For 8.5 the id for 9's 20960 is 20000.

Sorry for any confussion this may have caused.

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 09:59 AM

quote:
For 8.5 the id for 9's 20960 is 20000.
Sorry for any confussion this may have caused.
Now that's confusing. ;) Which ID is which?
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 10:03 AM

20960=9
20000=8.5
:)

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 10:06 AM

Then you should use multiple ResGroups. :)

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 10:11 AM

Yeah, thats why i said my mistake before :P

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by Patchou on 12-22-2007 at 05:23 PM

You can skin all the old-style dialog box windows of Mesenger by creating new resources in a DLL file. It's pretty easyer when you get used to it, I should create a section about that inu the documentation. All you need is a copy of Visual Studio Express, which is free.

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 07:30 PM

patch I don't really understand why this items aren't included in your skin engine... and we have to do those dll "tricks" to modify things like this windows, signing task bar icon, etc... can you explain it to me... :P I fill so dumb asking this...

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by Patchou on 12-22-2007 at 10:21 PM

You don't need dll files for icons (at least, when specifying icon groups). It's only needed for menus and old dialog windows. That's because these resources need to be compiled before they can be used. They are more complex and not that useful to skin develoeprs in general so I saw no point in adding extra support for them in the fisrt release. I do plan on supporting those in a future update though.

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by Dheano on 12-22-2007 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
You can skin all the old-style dialog box windows of Mesenger by creating new resources in a DLL file. It's pretty easyer when you get used to it, I should create a section about that inu the documentation. All you need is a copy of Visual Studio Express, which is free.

Or could I use ResHack? :p

Can someone spell it out, I don't quite get it all...
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 11:10 PM

Standard Win32 menus and dialogs are saved as compiled resources in a PE file (EXE- or DLL-file). Since they're compiled, it's pretty tough replacing these items without some kind of editor, to compile them. But it's possible, don't get me wrong.

You could create your own DLL (or steal it from mynetx as everyone else does), and then use a resource editor to add/edit the resource. I'm not sure if Resource Hacker has the ability to add new resources, but I'm very sure you can do this with Visual Studio. Visual Studio is an IDE, much more than just a resource editor. It also contains several handy tools when developing programs. The Express version is free, and I strongly recommend it.

Back to dialog-replacing. :) You can view the original dialog by opening the DLL/EXE containing the resource in Resource Hacker (this resource is not getting extracted by the MP!L extraction wizard), and then modify it and copy it over to your own DLL's resources (save it to a RES-file).

Under the SkinInfo documentation in the skinning-docs you can find the tags needed for dialog-replacement. I think you will find them on your own. :)

RE: RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 11:40 PM

quote:
You don't need dll files for icons (at least, when specifying icon groups).
I was talking about the one of the task bar, as mynetx replaced with a dll...

quote:
I do plan on supporting those in a future update though.
Nice to know it... :) thanks for the explanation...

quote:
The Express version is free, and I strongly recommend
wich one of they??? there are visual basic, visual c++, visual c#, etc...
RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by vikke on 12-22-2007 at 11:44 PM

Microsoft made all their versions so confusing. I think it's just called Visual Studio Express. But if I were you I would choose Visual C++ from the list you got, since C++ is the best programming language IMO.

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by warmth on 12-22-2007 at 11:47 PM

quote:
confusing. I think it's just called Visual Studio Express. But if I were you I would choose Visual C++ from the list you got, since C
Thanks for the info mate... I will ask mynetx about it... :)

RE: [Help] How to edit "about" by CookieRevised on 12-23-2007 at 01:30 AM

quote:
I'm not sure if Resource Hacker has the ability to add new resources
yes. Resource Hacker can even be controlled from the command line (it has its own scripting engine!) to extract, replace, remove, recompile resources, etc.... It is actually way more powerful than most people know. Read the help files closely ;)

eg: Since Plus!3, I use a simple batch file to replace the Dutch language file in the setup (which is actually a compressed custom resource in the setup) with the one I'm busy with, to test the translation with the setup. Which is normally only done by sending Patchou the latest translation update and then waiting on a new beta release.... All with a few Resource Hacker command lines (and a compression program to (de)compress the resource).... Similary, I have some batch files which will replace some strings and menus in Messenger automatically (searching, replacing the correct parts, recompiling, replacing). All I need to do is start the batch file, et voila, done.

--------------

As for Visual Studio, it is not so confusing actually...

"Visual Studio" contains "Visual C++", "Visual Basic", "Visual whatever". It is the whole lot plus some extras.... If you only need one programming language you need to get "Visual <the program language you want>" Edition.

And there are several different editions for each package. For example, you have "Visual Studio Professional Edition", "Visual Studio Basic Edition", "Visual C++ Basic Edition", "Visual Basic Enterprise Edition", "Visual C# Express Edition", etc....

However, for making dialogs and menus, you don't need such a 40Mb per programming language download (and that's just the stripped down Express editions - Visual Studio Express Edition is even close to 1GB!).... All you need is Resource Hacker and maybe a free resource compiler like GoRC.

The possible added benefit for downloading Visual Studio Express is that you have a nice GUI though. But, according to wikipedia, it seems that Visual C++ Express Edition does not include the resource compiler/editor.

Anyways, you can actually do everything from within Resource Hacker too (which will also show you how the dialog will look), since most of the time you're just going to edit existing Messenger dialogs anyways.

PS: Visual Studio Express Editions (which are free): http://www.microsoft.com/express/