Shoutbox

Australia - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Australia (/showthread.php?tid=80318)

Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 04:10 AM

Is Australia, the best country? And why is it/isnt it?

RE: Australia by RebelSean on 12-22-2007 at 05:14 AM

On what basis would you consider a country to be the "best" country :p?

RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 05:18 AM

Oppinion. Iunno, the people, the country side. Whatever you like/look for in a country.

RE: Australia by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 07:03 AM

I wonder if the plus! meeting thread brought on this sudden rush of patriotism?

Aussie [Image: au.png] Aussie [Image: au.png] Aussie [Image: au.png].........

Australia is a great country.

but It will go downhill if Discrate becomes PM, Don't vote Discrate!

* High Speed Chaser speeds off into the distance with lights and sirens

RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 07:08 AM

Vote Mattisdada instead!!

Oh and i havent seen this Plus! Meeting thread...

RE: Australia by Kenji on 12-22-2007 at 07:08 AM

It's too hot there, England ftw.

RE: RE: Australia by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 07:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
You have not been to Tasmania.

quote:
Originally posted by mattisdada
Vote Mattisdada instead

How about ..... No!
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 07:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
quote:
You have not been to Tasmania.

quote:
Vote Mattisdada instead

How about ..... No!

Alot of parts in Australia(Vic, Tas, QLD) get really cold in winter.

And how about YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 07:36 AM

quote:

Hahahaha. If it gets to 30 degrees in england everyone starts dieing. Too cold in england

quote:
Does Discrate love australia discreetly?
i dont love australia discreetly,not at all.

quote:
I wonder if the plus! meeting thread brought on this sudden rush of patriotism?

Australia is a great country.

Yes vote for me or die. simple.

Ill remember  this, if i ever do get to be pm i will accidently change your records. So it will say this

Original country: south africa
Visa: expired.

Bye bye HSC. :refuck:
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 07:38 AM

Ooo, Australia was winn 5 to 2. But now its even! 5 to 5(2 not knowing anything about it)

*Mattisdada shoots Descrate.

VOTE FOR ME, YOUR  SAVOUIR!

RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Australia sucks.. Much better places.

gtfo! your just saying that becuase your stuck in perth. You wouldnt be saying that if you were in melbourne :D
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 08:02 AM

Damn true, perth sucks, MELB FTW!!!!

Oh and i just read the No Plus 2007 Meeting thread.... i now know why that user said that.

I made this thread cuase i noticed alot of people from Australia :P. And i think Australia is a beautifull country with great friendly people. And we are mates with the US and the UK. :)

RE: RE: RE: Australia by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate

quote:

Ill remember  this, if i ever do get to be pm i will accidently change your records. So it will say this

I don't have a South African background but what I do have is an Australian birth certificate and the protection of the Constitution from the likes of you :refuck:. That's what makes this great Country great.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 09:22 AM

quote:
quote:

quote:

I don't have a South African background but what I do have is an Australian birth certificate and the protection of the Constitution from the likes of you :refuck:. That's what makes this great Country great.

I know you dont have a south african background, what i am saying is that i will change your records so it says you do :^) And you will be fined for that fake australian birth certificate ;)
Discrate as a Dictator!!! by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 09:28 AM

quote:

I know you dont have a south african background, what i am saying is that i will change your records so it says you do :^) And you will be fined for that fake australian birth certificate ;)

No you wont! [Image: zippylero.gif]
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 09:29 AM

Ill vouch for the unenthucity

RE: Australia by azn angel on 12-22-2007 at 09:35 AM

BECAUSE ITS RACIST. no seriously... we're a pretty racist country compared against the UK and shit

RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 09:38 AM

Preety much, and yes its a word but i dont know how to spell it. Its when your not authentic.

azn_angle..... no i dont think were racist.... im not. But yeah i do know alot fo really racist australians, i also know alot of really racist amerkians(hehe), and alot of racist chinise....

RE: Australia by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
BECAUSE ITS RACIST. no seriously... we're a pretty racist country compared against the UK and shit

You mean stuff like the 2005 Cronulla riots. Lots of countries have racism problems but as Australia is a multi cultural society now I don't know where I'm going with this so I will just guess, and I reckon a huge percentage of the population are not racist. But there is always going to be a bad group in the general population.

Discrate the :deal: is that if I vote for you, I become the Governor-General of Australia.
that's another thing I like about Australia(ns), people joke around a lot.
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 09:51 AM

Melbourne=3rd largest population of greeks. :) Theres a few other groups like that but i cant remember....

And yeah... Australians dont seem to be the most serious people all the time.... :D

Thats why Ch10 has to say "seriously" all the time... or they think we might think that they were thinking of joking... very complicated matter.

RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 10:02 AM

quote:
quote:

You mean stuff like the 2005 Cronulla riots. Lots of countries have racism problems but as Australia is a multi cultural society now I don't know where I'm going with this so I will just guess, and I reckon a huge percentage of the population are not racist. But there is always going to be a bad group in the general population.

sif australia is racist. 50% of us are from overseas. The aussies at cronulla were pissed off with the lebos and other races becuase they were attacking people ect. Then one day, a lebo woman was drowning so the life guard goes and saves her, then what happends, they get bashed. So everyone had enough so they had a protest which turned into a riot. It wasnt just the aussies. many lebos got in cars from other cities and came down. They had a part in it as well. The word racist is used to much these days.
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 10:04 AM

Racist is the worlds middle name....

RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 10:12 AM

these days if you say "bob your skin is black" you get called racist.

RE: Australia by Phillip on 12-22-2007 at 10:18 AM

I'm racist.

RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 10:29 AM

quote:
I'm racist.

I am noy racist myself,but heres an idea for everyone. Whats wrong with being racist? If you dont like someone becuase they are black well thats your opinion. You have a right to have your own opinion.
RE: RE: RE: Australia by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 10:33 AM

quote:
quote:
I'm racist.

I am noy racist myself,but heres an idea for everyone. Whats wrong with being racist? If you dont like someone becuase they are black well thats your opinion. You have a right to have your own opinion.

My opinion is because they didn't choose there race, why should they be discriminated for something they didn't choose. Calling someone black is just like singling them out and saying I'm superior. 
RE: RE: RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 10:37 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm racist.

My opinion is because they didn't choose there race, why should they be discriminated for something they didn't choose. Calling someone black is just like singling them out and saying I'm superior. 

Ok so if i say "bob has white skin" that means im racist does it? just becuase you point out what colour someones skin is doesnt mean your racist.
RE: Australia by Phillip on 12-22-2007 at 10:48 AM

It obviously does if they have a different skin colour :rolleyes:

RE: RE: Australia by High Speed Chaser on 12-22-2007 at 10:58 AM

quote:

I forgot to add that, thanks Phillip. I'm sure that if someone has black skin and that person calls another person with black skin black I don't think they will care.
RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 10:59 AM

quote:

shh you. But just becuaseyou point out there skin colour doesnt mean there racist. Seriously this world is just fucked. We are all going to hell.
RE: RE: RE: Australia by Phillip on 12-22-2007 at 11:04 AM

quote:
quote:

shh you. But just becuaseyou point out there skin colour doesnt mean there racist. Seriously this world is just fucked. We are all going to hell.
Well you are but I don't know about me (a)
RE: Australia by Eddie on 12-22-2007 at 01:28 PM

Cool country, great weather, but the people can be hypercritical a lot and also they take the piss out of england which i dont like bt hey, nothing can be done, good place i guess tho (H)

RE: Australia by Oxy on 12-22-2007 at 02:28 PM

Discrate sucks for spamming in a GCC thread.
don't like the heat, cold england anyday kthx.

RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 02:53 PM

Singling out someone is terriable. For example. (This example would undoubtly happen to at least a few in these forums) Meatheads often call nerds, nerds. Now theres nothing wrong with that(Ask em whats wrong with it and they can never say... :D)but there signilling you out, and it doesnt feel great.

And rascisim is SOOO stupid. You dislike someone, as a person, because of there skin color. An atribute that effects nothing else(Except the colen in your skin(Colen is what makes it black/white(lack of)))

RE: Australia by Spunky on 12-22-2007 at 02:55 PM

[OFF-TOPIC]
I've had racial comments hsouted at me... and guess what? I'm white... It's not a one-way street
[/OFF-TOPIC]

RE: RE: Australia by rav0 on 12-22-2007 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Oi, Oi, Oi!

dunno how nobody caught that yet *-)

quote:
We have now.

Now onto better things... like tacos...
Haha lol, Taco Bell got shut down.

But, *example of multiculturalism* that you mentioned tacos since they are mexican or spanish or something (I'm so un-racist I don't even care)
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-22-2007 at 03:55 PM

But Taco's are a delicious treat, whatever  country your from:D

And did Taco bell exsist in the AU? Never seen one....

PS rav0. I see you have an Opera sign in your signiture, i see that your also a supporter of Opera!

Opera! FTW(Email me if you want a pwnage Opera theme that i havent distributed yet :P)

RE: Australia by Volv on 12-22-2007 at 04:14 PM

I dont like the poll options, I don't think Australia is the best country, but I don't think there are places which are much better...

RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 04:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I dont like the poll options, I don't think Australia is the best country, but I don't think there are places which are much better...

How does that work? you dont think australia is the best country and you dont think there are better places. You must have 1 country you think is the best.

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
Discrate sucks for spamming in a GCC thread.
don't like the heat, cold england anyday kthx.

i am not spamming i am discussing ^o)
RE: Australia by Volv on 12-22-2007 at 04:55 PM

quote:
How does that work? you dont think australia is the best country and you dont think there are better places. You must have 1 country you think is the best.
The second option reads, "No.... there are places much better". I simply believe that there are better places, but not places that are 'much better'.
RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 05:09 PM

quote:
quote:
The second option reads, "No.... there are places much better". I simply believe that there are better places, but not places that are 'much better'.

ahhh i get what you are saying now :)

Where are all the australians? we have a fair few but not many are active!
RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Damokun
You're all city slickers.

I am not! dont insult me :D i am from the suburban areas

Country people need there heads checked.
RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-23-2007 at 01:11 AM

Dude, im a country person. I dont live in the city.

I live in Victoria, Colac.

RE: RE: Australia by rav0 on 12-23-2007 at 02:49 AM

quote:
But Taco's are a delicious treat, whatever  country your from:D

And did Taco bell exsist in the AU? Never seen one....

PS rav0. I see you have an Opera sign in your signiture, i see that your also a supporter of Opera!

Opera! FTW(Email me if you want a pwnage Opera theme that i havent distributed yet :P)
Yep, Opera user since version 6 (H).

The last (and only) Taco Bell I've seen was Bankstown (it might have been combined with a KFC, or maybe I've seen a Taco Bell-KFC somewhere else). So, I have seen one Taco Bell outlet in Bankstown, and I have seen one combined Taco Bell-KFC.

If by Opera theme you mean skin, then the only ones I've used are from the Opera website, and now I use the XPMC visual style in Windows with Windows Native skin in Opera.
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-23-2007 at 02:57 AM

Well i obviously think Australia is the best country, or one of the best countries in the world. But my subjective opinion doesn't mean much as i live there...

so i figured some nice Human Development Index figures would back up my claim a bit more strongly :):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by..._Development_Index

Australia is 3rd in the world by this index for living standards. So if you are living in iceland or norway on average you are better off! So yes, Australia is one of the best countries in the world :P

We are owning UK and if you live in America.. well sorry you are going backwards - thank your awesome president for that ;).

RE: Australia by mattisdada on 12-23-2007 at 06:30 AM

Go Chesatah, nicely played :)

RE: Australia by haydos on 12-23-2007 at 07:56 AM

Australians aren't racist in general. We just have enough ticker to cop any political incorrectness on the chin where many other people bitch and moan about it seeing as the rest of the world is becoming ridiculously politically correct.

RE: Australia by azn angel on 12-26-2007 at 08:24 AM

quote:

sif australia is racist. 50% of us are from overseas. The aussies at cronulla were pissed off with the lebos and other races becuase they were attacking people ect. Then one day, a lebo woman was drowning so the life guard goes and saves her, then what happends, they get bashed. So everyone had enough so they had a protest which turned into a riot. It wasnt just the aussies. many lebos got in cars from other cities and came down. They had a part in it as well. The word racist is used to much these days.
err you knob. that's not what happened. These guys were teasing this lebanese girl and so the lebanese guys got pissed and bashed them. The media decided to tell the public that the guys who got bashed were lifeguards (which they are/were) but they weren't being lifeguards at the time, they weren't even dressed as life guards. it was entirely their fault. I watched this shit on 4corners.

Also I have received racist comments towards me, but I never said anything about the white people of australia being racist. I mean most of the population is regardless of their race. and tbh, i am fucking sick of white australians saying gtfo of OUR country. White people are not the original inhabitants of this country, they basically stole it. we are SUPPOSED to be a multi-cultural society but i am not seeing that happen =/

I had a teacher who taught in the UK and said that they are much more tolerant than we are.
RE: Australia by Volv on 12-26-2007 at 11:01 AM

aznangel speaks truths...

RE: Australia by CookieRevised on 12-26-2007 at 12:03 PM

quote:
and tbh, i am fucking sick of white australians saying gtfo of OUR country. White people are not the original inhabitants of this country, they basically stole it.
Amen to that.

[Image: au-aboriginal-flag-s.gif]

RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-26-2007 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
and tbh, i am fucking sick of white australians saying gtfo of OUR country. White people are not the original inhabitants of this country, they basically stole it.
Amen to that.

[Image: au-aboriginal-flag-s.gif]

As sad and terrible that part of history was, like many (if not a majority) of other countries and civilizations around the world, races have been conquered by other races.

I'm not condoning what has happened to the Aboriginals, however i'm just saying that similar "wars" have happened all around the world with other civilizations taking over the land/riches of other races. The aboriginals lost "the war" essentially and now Australia is a country belonging to every Australian citizen. Which i'm glad today includes the original inhabitants - the Aboriginals.
RE: Australia by CookieRevised on 12-26-2007 at 12:42 PM

I hear what you're saying, but what happened in Australia is actually quite different than what happened in most other countries. For starters there wasn't even a war (fair or not) to begin with.
(I noticed you quoted 'war' though, but still...) OK, there were settlements and all, but the penal collony and the later goldrush made that its history is somewhat different and can't be compared as such to other "new found lands".

Even the fact that most stuff happened around the 1900s, a time when you would think people would have learned one or two things from the past (eg: history about the America's and Indian people, etc) makes it a bit unique.

Not to mention that it was only after the second world war that the second extremely massive immigration began, which was conducted by their own goverment, which would lead to overpopulation in some areas and many of the disputes about land rights.

On top of this there was a "only white people can immigrate" policy up till the '70s, and together with other (racist) rules lead to fear of other races and a common racism in Australia, which is still present up to today in many people (liking it or not).

Let alone that still up to this day, the indigious inhabitants are being tricked and land is still being stolen from them, despite land right acts (which where made way too late to begin with)... Not to mention that economy is still dictating what land owners (or rather, those who did owned the land but were bought out) get (or rather not get), which is something you'll only see happening in 3rd world countries anymore...

Anyways, a lot has been done about this, and you would know the history of your own country better than I do, but it is still somewhat questionable (from the POV of an outsider) that all such stuff can happen in such modern times. But the main point of azn angel was, I think, that there are still a lot of white Austrialans who are completely oblivious to most of those facts and still do as if they "own" Australia and have every right to claim whatever land they want and calling the original inhabitants immigrants, while in fact it is them who are the immigrants. If this is because the history thought in school maybe only extents to the "white" history, I dunno, but still...

to make it clear: i do not think all Australians are racists though. far from it actually!!! The ones I know are actualy very anti-racism.
I wonder what SH thinks of this, if she reads this :p

RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-26-2007 at 01:22 PM

EDIT: PS - very impressive knowledge of Australian History cookie :P

quote:

Anyways, a lot has been done about this, but it is still somewhat questionable (from the POV of an outsider). But the main point of azn angel was, I think, that there are a lot of white Austrialans who are completely oblivious to those facts and still do as if they "own" Australia and have every right to claim whatever land they want and calling the original inhabitants immigrants.

Yeah, obviously that is completely wrong as the Aboriginals in my view have exactly the same rights as any other Australian - white, black, infact any colour, race, culture or religion.

quote:
I hear what you're saying, but what happened in Australia is actually quite different than what happened in most other countries. For starters there wasn't even a war (fair or not) to begin with.
(I noticed you quoted 'war' though, but still...)

Yeah sorry, i quoted 'war' because as you explained it doesn't exactly fit nicely in that category as some other events in the past can. It was a very unique situation.

quote:
Even the fact that most stuff happened around the 1900s, a time when you would think people would have learned one or two things from the past

Its amazing how blindly people can act. However, once again, what makes this situation unique is that the English believed that the Aboriginals did not own the land as they had not cultivated it or used it for cattle etc. Obviously we can see now how flawed that view was but that is what they thought back then.

The truly unique aspect of this part of Australia's history is that from a legal perspective Australia was found in the eyes of the English as "terra nullis" (feel free to correct my spelling ;)) - meaning of course "land belonging to no one". I won't go into the technical aspects of the implications of this but lets say it wasn't exactly an exciting 300 page read :P. Essentially from this day the current common law legal system of England was in place in Australia governing the conduct/autonomy of the Aboriginals. If instead, the British conquered the Aboriginals "winning" the land then the English common law system would have actually had to be positively implemented for it to take effect. So basicially, the laws that worked in England.. and i think its safe to say could not be said to be perfectly adapted for Australia were technically in force. Interesting stuff...

quote:

Let alone that still up to this day, the indigious inhabitants are still being tricked and land is still being stolen from them, despite land right acts (which where made far too late to begin with)... Not to mention that economy is still dictating what land owners (or rather, those who did owned the land but were bought out) get (or rather not get), which is something you'll only see happening in 3rd world countries anymore...

I'm sorry but that is completely wrong. Land is not being stolen from Aboriginals today. It may have been stolen in the past from the Aboriginals who rightfully owned it but i highly doubt land is being stolen from Aboriginals to this day that rightfully own the land. Aboriginals have mostly an equal standing with all other Australians and i haven't heard of them being tricked in any way ever in my life time in the manner you are referring to. Many Aboriginals have taken their cases to court and the landmark decision was in the early 1990s with Mabo v The State of Queensland where Aboriginal land rights were recognised and became part of our law.

As you said, these rights were long overdue and thats exactly what the judges of the High Court said themselves (of course, the HCA had to wait until a case actually came before them to alter the law).

As for the economy dictating what the Aboriginals get in regard to their stolen land: well i'm not exactly sure what you mean in regards to the economy. This is a human rights issue and it is not a simple one. The fact is that despite that in the PAST some Australians have stolen the land of previous generations of Aboriginals, those Australians are not likely to be the ones owning the land that Aboriginals today are claiming. Its a conflict of rights between the innocent present Australians owning the land that will lose out substantially if the land is given back to the Aboriginals and the Aboriginals who their ancestors had their land stolen from them.

That is why their is a high onus of proof on any Aboriginal tribe/group claiming land on the basis of native title - they need to establish they've been living and using the land since "time immemorial". Basicially they need to establish they've always been living there, including up to the present time. Obviously it is going to be hard for anymore Aboriginals to claim native title as as time goes on they still need to be living on the current owners land etc.

Now whilst this may seem unfair to the Aboriginals, it is a very complicated issue of land rights which the Australian courts don't treat lightly and as such there should be a high onus on anyone trying to claim someone elses lawfully aquired land.

It is even debatable in the first place that native title should exist. Whilst i'm not knowledgeable on this, how many other conquered races in the world have been given their land back by their conquerors (or the generation after generation of the race that conquered them)?
RE: Australia by CookieRevised on 12-26-2007 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
I'm sorry but that is completely wrong. Land is not being stolen from Aboriginals today. It may have been stolen in the past from the Aboriginals who rightfully owned it but i highly doubt land is being stolen from Aboriginals to this day that rightfully own the land.
Unfortunatly I can't quote the source atm, but last year I came across a reportage from UK journalists (BBC?) which claimed otherwise. That despite the fact that some tribe had land rights, they still were being "tricked" by a big ass company and gained absolutely nothing for letting them mining their land. (I think it was somewhere in northern Arnhem Land, but don't quote me on this).
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-26-2007 at 01:38 PM

quote:
quote:
I'm sorry but that is completely wrong. Land is not being stolen from Aboriginals today. It may have been stolen in the past from the Aboriginals who rightfully owned it but i highly doubt land is being stolen from Aboriginals to this day that rightfully own the land.
Unfortunatly I can't quote the source atm, but last year I came across a reportage from UK journalists (BBC?) which claimed otherwise. That despite the fact that some tribe had land rights, they still were being "tricked" by a big ass company and gained absolutely nothing for letting them mining their land. (I think it was somewhere in northern Arnhem Land, but don't quote me on this).

I have no reason to think that would be untrue as i vaguely remember something of the sorts. Of course there are people in all countries in the world that try and manipulate people with certain situational disabilities etc like the aboriginals. If their consent was vitiated in whatever deal i'm guessing they agreed to then they should have taken it to court. We have a legal system for a reason and although i realise its often too expensive for most (sadly) i'm sure a lawyer would have helped them - big ass mining company = $$$$?

I guess we wouldn't know what was really happening until we viewed the evidence of both sides. Trust me... unfortunately from the experiences i've had with Aboriginals near my home town (and these are where the unfortunate stereotypes come from...) are ones of deceit, criminal in nature, where they hide behind their race and skin colour saying anyone who says that they did something wrong is racist. =/
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-26-2007 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
England (Not UK) ftw!

While we are talking about history... we could mention all the countries England has screwed up over the centuries by invading, pillaging all their resources and then bringing them back to England completely destroying the future economic potential for those countries! But yeah... :P
RE: RE: Australia by CookieRevised on 12-26-2007 at 01:53 PM

quote:
unfortunately from the experiences i've had with Aboriginals near my home town (and these are where the unfortunate stereotypes come from...) are ones of deceit, criminal in nature, where they hide behind their race and skin colour saying anyone who says that they did something wrong is racist. =/
blah, I know what you mean... those are equally bad (actually, if not worse) than those "white" racist people... We have some of those here too. Heck, they pop up everywhere in the world, unfortunatly...

Put them together with the racists and let them kill eachother :D (I didn't meant that... hmmm, maybe I do :p .... nah....)
RE: Australia by Volv on 12-26-2007 at 02:37 PM

quote:
If this is because the history thought in school maybe only extents to the "white" history, I dunno, but still...
Whilst I agree with most of what you said I would just like to defend the Australian education system :P
We are taught a large deal (in my state of NSW at least) about the Aboriginal peoples including their culture and religion (even from primary, that is 'elementary', school), as well as history involving the acts of Europeans (Settlement, murdering/hunting, Stolen Generations) and it is often taught in an unbiased manner, perhaps even weighted towards the Aboriginal point of view (at least in my schooling experiences).
RE: Australia by Phillip on 12-26-2007 at 02:50 PM

35 degrees in my bedroom this morning :sad: Woke up and could barely move :sad: Stupid aircon not working even though we have had it fixed 3 times in the last 2 months. Bloody aussie heat :dodgy:

RE: Australia by markee on 12-26-2007 at 03:53 PM

Cookie, I realise our past is quite questionable, but many other countries around the world enforced racist immigration policy around those times as well.

And I would be happy to give land back to aboriginals if they would use it for historical purposes, but it's not going to happen.  I used to live near a town of aboriginals and it was quite astonishing how bad things can be (I don't think this is the place to be telling any of the stories).  I realise there is some good in these communities, but with the 'reverse racism' and them punishing "white" people (or calling for punishment) over ANY incident involving an aboriginal, that is where I have a problem.  Palm Island's death in custody inquiry is a prim example of the political correctness that is ruining us, if Cameron was white then there would have been nothing really said about it (and yes his name was cameron before his death, after that the media started calling him by his aboriginal name).

Racism from white people still exists, but it normally comes from the people who have to deal with aboriginals the most, it changes their perspective on them negatively unfortunately.  Unline Europeans, Aboriginals haven't had alcohol over the vast number of generations, so they are not used to it, when they do have it it effects them much quicker than normal and hence leads to problems.  Plus they start to expect society to pay for them to survive because they apparently have it hard.  At the moment they get paid an allowance by the government and get extra funding at school, just for being aboriginal.  This money mosty gets wasted on booze (or metholated spirits), paint and petrol from my experience.

I realise you'll try to tell me that I'm beingvery steroetypical, but when you see the places and hear a few stories from you parents about what was happening, then you do believe the unfortunate trueth.  The only way I believe these things can be changed is with a long term approach to build up their sense of community and respect for authoity and self through their own people, but our government only wants quick fixes because they need to get re-elected next time.

RE: Australia by Jarrod on 12-26-2007 at 08:02 PM

phillip need to move south
australia rocks we're coming third on this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index but we're failing on this listhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_Internet_access_worldwide lol

RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-26-2007 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Put them together with the racists and let them kill eachother (Smilie) (I didn't meant that... hmmm, maybe I do (Smilie) .... nah....)

LOL nice one cookie :P.

quote:
We are taught a large deal (in my state of NSW at least) about the Aboriginal peoples including their culture and religion

Yep we sure were.. i remember having to memorise the exact dates for tests :(.

quote:
Bloody aussie heat (Smilie)

:(
RE: RE: Australia by CookieRevised on 12-27-2007 at 12:12 AM

quote:
We are taught a large deal (in my state of NSW at least) about the Aboriginal peoples including their culture and religion (even from primary, that is 'elementary', school), as well as history involving the acts of Europeans (Settlement, murdering/hunting, Stolen Generations) and it is often taught in an unbiased manner, perhaps even weighted towards the Aboriginal point of view (at least in my schooling experiences).
Very cool to know this. Thanks for correcting me. As I said, I don't know what's being taught and what not, so....

quote:
Originally posted by markee
I realise you'll try to tell me that I'm beingvery steroetypical
In fact, not at all, I wouldn't dare :p
I 'know' about the many problems with those aboriginal communities. And it is extremely sad how things are going in many of them. But it is also often the job of the goverment to do something about it too (because alone they wouldn't be able to solve it or come out of that circle of mysery). I know in some communities the (local) goverment does stuff about it though. But for what I know this happens to little and is too rare... I even hear that many aboriginals don't even know their own history, so...
Then again, I don't live there, I just follow news and know what people who visit there quite often tell me. You would know way better of course, so if I'm wrong, by all means correct me.
RE: Australia by markee on 12-27-2007 at 02:45 AM

quote:
I even hear that many aboriginals don't even know their own history, so...
Very true, many of the dreamtime stories have been lost because noone carried them on.

And the funding for these projects needs to be done at a federal level because they are the only ones who could actually be able to afford it and have the power to maintain it.  Our last Prime Minister who was in for over 10 years wasn't very good with his aboriginal policies at all and I really hope that Kevin Rudd will actually put some good things into play.  And I do believe he will finally say sorry on behalf of Australia for the stolen generation, which is very much needed for us to move forward in these issues.
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-27-2007 at 06:14 AM

God Kevin Rudd... can't believe Australia voted him in =/... hes the worst thing about Australia at the moment :P

And as for saying sorry.. i agree with Howard... we weren't the ones that caused/did the stolen generation - we have nothing to say sorry about personally ourselves. We can be sorry for the situations that happened in the past but i think it would be hypocritical to say sorry for something we didn't cause and i think even the Aboriginals wouldn't really appreciate it cause they'd know it would be purely a political stunt.

RE: Australia by -dt- on 12-27-2007 at 06:20 AM

quote:
And I do believe he will finally say sorry on behalf of Australia for the stolen generation, which is very much needed for us to move forward in these issues.
I dont think we should be saying sorry, we didn't do it. go find the people who made the choices to do it, and force them to say sorry.

quote:
God Kevin Rudd... can't believe Australia voted him in =/... hes the worst thing about Australia at the moment :P
I agree, hes a sneaky little thing
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-27-2007 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
I dont think we should be saying sorry, we didn't do it. go find the people who made the choices to do it, and force them to say sorry.

As Howard put it also, its not just a simple issue - not all Australians want to apologise for something they didn't do and it would be wrong for the government to make an apology on behalf of the whole country despite not everyone being united in that apology.
RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-27-2007 at 06:34 AM

quote:

And as for saying sorry.. i agree with Howard... we weren't the ones that caused/did the stolen generation - we have nothing to say sorry about personally ourselves. We can be sorry for the situations that happened in the past but i think it would be hypocritical to say sorry for something we didn't cause and i think even the Aboriginals wouldn't really appreciate it cause they'd know it would be purely a political stunt.

What are you smoking? Kevin rudd is not the worst thing about australia at the moment, infact he is the best thing. Howard and his IR laws had to go, simple as that. Kevin rudd is planning for the future. The voters did the right thing.
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-27-2007 at 06:43 AM

quote:
IR laws

ok A) Do you know anyone PERSONALLY that has been disadvantaged by these laws?

B) Have you read the legislation in its entirety?

C) Do you do understand economics and/or law?

If you can't establish these 3 things please go and do them before making a comment on Howard's IR reforms.

The fairness test was a very good test for ensuring the balance between flexibility and fairness between employers and employees. As you can see with our amazingly low unemployment rates the new IR reforms have worked nicely :). Not looking forward to Rudd's roll back (which generally seems to be the labor government's policy when its not copying Howard...) which will most likely increase unemployment :(.

The most annoying thing about the entire election was the fact that people were saying Howard was too old. That is the most frustrating and flawed reason ever for voting out the government that has reduced unemployment to record lows, paid off all the government debt left by the pre-1996 labor government and also brought about the longest sustainable period of economic growth Australia has ever had! And the main consensus? "Oh Howards been in too long.. lets just change for the sake of change" - the stupidest logic i've heard in a long time =/.
RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-27-2007 at 06:46 AM

quote:
quote:
IR laws

ok A) Do you know anyone PERSONALLY that has been disadvantaged by these laws?

B) Have you read the legislation in its entirety?

C) Do you do understand economics and/or law?

If you can't establish these 3 things please go and do them before making a comment on Howard's IR reforms.

The fairness test was a very good test for ensuring the balance between flexibility and fairness between employers and employees. As you can see with our amazingly low unemployment rates the new IR reforms have worked nicely :). Not looking forward to Rudd's roll back (which generally seems to be the labor government's policy when its not copying Howard...) which will most likely increase unemployment :(.

A- yes

B- no, but i understand the basics of it.

C - yes a bit

The IR laws were good to a few people,like the mining industry but to the minority it was bad. Are you telling me that firing a woker and then offering there job back with lower pay is good? Are you telling me taking away a workers holidays ect and making them work longer for less pay is good?
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-27-2007 at 06:50 AM

quote:
The IR laws were good to a few people,like the mining industry but to the minority it was bad. Are you telling me that firing a woker and then offering there job back with lower pay is good? Are you telling me taking away a workers holidays ect and making them work longer for less pay is good?

Refer to B), read the "fairness test" in the legislation - that is impossible.

-------

Workplace Relations Act 1996 (Cth)

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCo...s1996Vol1_WD02.pdf

Subdivision C—The fairness test

346M When does an agreement pass the fairness test?

(1) A workplace agreement passes the fairness test if:

a) in the case of an AWA—the Workplace Authority Director is
satisfied that the AWA provides fair compensation to the
employee whose employment is subject to the AWA in lieu
of the exclusion or modification of protected award
conditions that apply to the employee; or

b) in the case of a collective agreement—the Workplace
Authority Director is satisfied that, on balance, the collective
agreement provides fair compensation, in its overall effect on
the employees whose employment is subject to the collective
agreement, in lieu of the exclusion or modification of
protected award conditions that apply to some or all of those
employees.

(2) In considering whether a workplace agreement provides fair
compensation to an employee, or in its overall effect on employees,
the Workplace Authority Director must first have regard to:

a) the monetary and non-monetary compensation that the
employee or employees will receive under the workplace
agreement, in lieu of the protected award conditions thatapply to the employee or employees under a reference award
in relation to the employee or employees; and

b) the work obligations of the employee or employees under the workplace agreement.

Essentially, you can only lose entitlements and conditions if you are fairly compensated for the loss of those conditions - e.g. losing sick days for a small increase in pay.
RE: Australia by markee on 12-27-2007 at 07:20 AM

The fairness test was not part of the original legislation that was enforced.  It only came around because the election was closing in and Howards polls were looking terrible.  Therefore the fairness test counts for nothing when you are doing pro and cons.

RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-27-2007 at 11:42 AM

quote:
The fairness test was not part of the original legislation that was enforced.  It only came around because the election was closing in and Howards polls were looking terrible.  Therefore the fairness test counts for nothing when you are doing pro and cons.

The fairness test came in a year after the original legislation passed to prevent the minority of employers abusing their employees under the new legislation.

I can see no logical reason why it shouldn't be included when doing pros and cons as it IS the current legislation provided by the Howard government - to exclude changes is like the competition of Msgplus! saying.. no we are not going to compare our version to the bug fixed version of Msgplus - we are going to compare it to the original version which has bugs...

With such big reforms theres bound to be problems found and i think its a positive thing that the Howard government saw these problems and attempted to fix them with the fairness test - which i think he did. So yes, the fairness test is part of the law and if you blindly want to "forget" it exists by all means be deluded :).
RE: Australia by -dt- on 12-27-2007 at 11:52 AM

quote:
so, rudd basicly copied all of howards policies during the election, so under that same logic we shouldnt count 99% of the rudd labor goverments policy?
RE: Australia by markee on 12-27-2007 at 12:40 PM

quote:
With such big reforms theres bound to be problems found and i think its a positive thing that the Howard government saw these problems and attempted to fix them with the fairness test
It should have been there from the beginning.  The whole reason for awards in the beginning were that they would provide security for low paid workers who do not have bargaining power as individuals, because they are replaceable.  These people always require some protection from exploitation and if the Howard government couldnt see that from the beginning then how many other economic policies did they really get wrong ;)
RE: Australia by Jarrod on 12-27-2007 at 12:50 PM

I think liberal should have won but howard lose his seat.
I h8ed that old bald doushe

RE: Australia by Volv on 12-27-2007 at 12:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
Beats Costello
RE: Australia by markee on 12-27-2007 at 01:00 PM

quote:
quote:
Beats Costello
Is that really much of an achievement?
RE: RE: Australia by Volv on 12-27-2007 at 01:05 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
Beats Costello
Is that really much of an achievement?
That's my point, what use is Liberal winning yet Howard losing his seat (as hoped by xen0h) if we're stuck with Costello as PM instead?
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-29-2007 at 06:19 AM

quote:
Beats Costello

Costello is a legend! The only bad thing if Costello did become our PM would be that potentially Australia's greatest treasurer.. wouldn't be a treasurer.. he'd be our PM - although i think he'd also be a good PM.
RE: RE: Australia by Verte on 12-30-2007 at 01:49 AM

quote:
Oppinion. Iunno, the people, the country side. Whatever you like/look for in a country.

You think the Australian countryside is awesome until you see other countries. NZ make us look pretty silly.

quote:
Thats why Ch10 has to say "seriously" all the time... or they think we might think that they were thinking of joking... very complicated matter.

The alternative was "Like, totally", except Sandra Silly couldn't remember the line.

quote:
and tbh, i am fucking sick of white australians saying gtfo of OUR country. White people are not the original inhabitants of this country, they basically stole it. we are SUPPOSED to be a multi-cultural society but i am not seeing that happen =/

What's happening here is that people are coming into this country without respecting it's laws. If a law is wrong, you can follow the proper channels to have it changed. Until that happens, you damn well follow that law.

Gtfoooc is usually invoked when migrants have no respect for the country that they are moving to. Which is not to say that it can't be misused by stupid people, but it's not a bad thing in itself.

quote:
...but last year I came across a reportage from UK journalists (BBC?) which claimed otherwise. That despite the fact that some tribe had land rights, they still were being "tricked" by a big ass company and gained absolutely nothing for letting them mining their land. (I think it was somewhere in northern Arnhem Land, but don't quote me on this).

You're probably talking about Jabiluka.

Which is not aboriginal-specific, of course. Federal governments often make decisions regarding mining material or the placement of refuse sites or power plants over the heads of local owners of the land. It's the same story with transport- if the state government wants to build a freeway on your land, they have the ability to take that from you. That the interest is commercial is of as much relevance as if that freeway was to be a tollway.

---

With regards the IR laws (this is becoming an interesting thread!)

The fairness test:

The best fairness test is the employee. Why not let them decide if they would like to give up benefit X for reward Y? That's what the old system was.

--

Kevin Rudd is a pushover. He had an opportunity to really make a stand for this country, but he's gradually rounded off his edges to fit the conservative mold. Yuck. That said, Wayne Swann will make a great treasurer!
RE: RE: RE: Australia by Discrate on 12-30-2007 at 05:56 AM

quote:
quote:
and tbh, i am fucking sick of white australians saying gtfo of OUR country. White people are not the original inhabitants of this country, they basically stole it. we are SUPPOSED to be a multi-cultural society but i am not seeing that happen =/

What's happening here is that people are coming into this country without respecting it's laws. If a law is wrong, you can follow the proper channels to have it changed. Until that happens, you damn well follow that law.

Gtfoooc is usually invoked when migrants have no respect for the country that they are moving to. Which is not to say that it can't be misused by stupid people, but it's not a bad thing in itself.

Amen to that!
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-30-2007 at 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte

The fairness test:

The best fairness test is the employee. Why not let them decide if they would like to give up benefit X for reward Y? That's what the old system was.

I disagree with the employee "fairness test". How can something be fair if its decided by one of the two parties which obviously has a bias towards decisions benefiting themselves? There has to be a "test" or at least an approach to deciding whats fair - the IR system has to be fair on both employers and employees offering both incentives for employers to employ workers and offering employees some flexibility in the process as well.
RE: RE: Australia by rav0 on 12-30-2007 at 09:07 AM

quote:
quote:

The fairness test:

I disagree with the employee "fairness test". How can something be fair if its decided by one of the two parties which obviously has a bias towards decisions benefiting themselves? There has to be a "test" or at least an approach to deciding whats fair - the IR system has to be fair on both employers and employees offering both incentives for employers to employ workers and offering employees some flexibility in the process as well.
It has to be made by both people concerned, and both people will have an interest in benefiting themselves. They should be able to decide what's fair on their own, however an external review can help employees recieve more consideration.

Verte, under the old system employees were not allowed to give up certain benefits for other rewards.
RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-30-2007 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0

It has to be made by both people concerned, and both people will have an interest in benefiting themselves. They should be able to decide what's fair on their own, however an external review can help employees recieve more consideration.

Very true :)

quote:
Verte, under the old system employees were not allowed to give up certain benefits for other rewards.

Its all about choice and extra flexibility!
RE: Australia by haydos on 12-30-2007 at 07:07 PM

hmm a few different points here...

First of all; the racism towards Aboriginals. Yes, they cop it. Their race was thrown big time off track when the poms and convicts came to Australia. Since then they have had major societal problems. The thing is that our generation of non-Aboriginal Australians are not committing any wrongdoing against them, but their culture has been thrown so far off that many of them are giving the rest a bad name. It's a tough chain to be in.

Being Australian is as much something in your heart as it is something on your birth certificate or place of living. White Australians are perfectly within their right to call Australia 'our' country in my opinion. You'll find the majority are extremely accepting of the ethnic part of our society.

As for the politics part of the thread.. I am fully in support of Howard for not apologising. I wouldn't apologise. I am sorry it happened, but I have nothing to apologise for.

I still don't understand the "beats Costello" argument. He has been the best Treasurer Australia has seen - why would he not be a good PM? That's all too late now anyway, I hope Rudd struggles to get rid of the IR laws they are doing good things for the country. Of course there will be individual cases that aren't good for the employee, but you have to look at the overall effect. If the employee is good enough they should be able to quit their whinging and find another job.

mid 40 degree days around Christmas and all throughout summer.. I love it!

RE: Australia by markee on 12-31-2007 at 12:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
I am sorry it happened
That is the whole idea.  Sorry that it happened and a committment that he would not do the same and pledge that he would try to embrace aboriginal culture more for the benifit of maintaining the heritage.
RE: Australia by rav0 on 12-31-2007 at 02:55 AM

Can this be put in GCC?

It's become a more serious discussion than the original "is Australia awesome?" (which belonged in T&T). It'd be nice if this could be kept in the forums (no purge).

RE: Australia by Chestah on 12-31-2007 at 04:21 AM

quote:
hmm a few different points here...

First of all; the racism towards Aboriginals. Yes, they cop it. Their race was thrown big time off track when the poms and convicts came to Australia. Since then they have had major societal problems. The thing is that our generation of non-Aboriginal Australians are not committing any wrongdoing against them, but their culture has been thrown so far off that many of them are giving the rest a bad name. It's a tough chain to be in.

Being Australian is as much something in your heart as it is something on your birth certificate or place of living. White Australians are perfectly within their right to call Australia 'our' country in my opinion. You'll find the majority are extremely accepting of the ethnic part of our society.

As for the politics part of the thread.. I am fully in support of Howard for not apologising. I wouldn't apologise. I am sorry it happened, but I have nothing to apologise for.

I still don't understand the "beats Costello" argument. He has been the best Treasurer Australia has seen - why would he not be a good PM? That's all too late now anyway, I hope Rudd struggles to get rid of the IR laws they are doing good things for the country. Of course there will be individual cases that aren't good for the employee, but you have to look at the overall effect. If the employee is good enough they should be able to quit their whinging and find another job.

mid 40 degree days around Christmas and all throughout summer.. I love it!

Nice post :) - pretty much summed up exactly how i feel! Also i like your forum nick ;). Do you watch much cricket :P?
RE: RE: RE: Australia by Verte on 01-01-2008 at 06:19 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

The fairness test:

I would suggest, if any party disagrees, no agreement should take place. An employee should be able to get all the benefits required to be offered under the previous laws, and they can decide whether or not they stay based on the pay.

Employees certainly were allowed to give up benefits. Few employers offered a system for doing so is all. In Western Australia, many miners were on AWAs before the new IR laws. The difference today is that employers can mandate them for new employees. All they have done is remove choice from workers.

edit: fixed splelling.
RE: Australia by haydos on 01-01-2008 at 11:21 AM

quote:
quote:
I am sorry it happened
That is the whole idea.  Sorry that it happened and a committment that he would not do the same and pledge that he would try to embrace aboriginal culture more for the benifit of maintaining the heritage.
It's not the same thing. Just because I'm not pleased that it happens doesn't mean that I feel they are deserving of an apology from me or anyone from this generation. The context of the word sorry is very important.

quote:
All they have done is remove choice from workers.
Not really. I don't know of a lot of cases where the employee would be in much of a negotiating position upon entering a job (ie when the contract would be signed). It's still the same with AWAs you have the alternative to go elsewhere. If people are taking up the jobs then it can't be all that bad. You'll notice that since AWAs have been introduced the amount of jobs in Australia has risen, which personally I think is a success for the implementation of the legislation.

quote:
Also i like your forum nick ;). Do you watch much cricket :P?
I live cricket pretty much, but the forum nick comes from my actual name not Matthew Hayden as I think you're suggesting :tongue:

RE: RE: Australia by Verte on 01-02-2008 at 03:42 AM

quote:
It's still the same with AWAs you have the alternative to go elsewhere.

Not really. Jobs are not a commodity market. I can't just go and pick one up with the features I want. You take what you are offered, usually.

quote:
If people are taking up the jobs then it can't be all that bad.

Yes it can. It means that people need more money than they are getting these days.

quote:
You'll notice that since AWAs have been introduced the amount of jobs in Australia has risen, which personally I think is a success for the implementation of the legislation.

I agree. The new IR laws are an attempt to strengthen the economy, of course. It works like this:

employer gets employees on AWAs, with less net pay per year.
=> company can hire more employees on the same cash or the same number of employees for less.
=> profits go up.
=> the company has more money to invest locally.
=> the company does invest locally.
=> country profits.

I do believe that, while the fourth implication is very weak, the new IR laws will strengthen the economy overall [better than, say, dropping the minimum wage and the dole so as to compete with third world countries in the labor market]. I just don't feel that what we will gain is worth what we have lost. I'd rather a slightly weaker economy, relatively speaking, with wonderful things like guaranteed awards and a competitive Job market, than a higher GDP with cheaper labor over all.
RE: Australia by Jarrod on 01-02-2008 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Some Labor slogan

we are a country not just an economy

so I agree with verte
RE: Australia by Discrate on 01-03-2008 at 06:52 AM

Go here http://msgplusville.myminicity.com/ to build the new msgplus city in australia :P

RE: Australia by Volv on 01-03-2008 at 10:24 AM

quote:
I'd rather a slightly weaker economy, relatively speaking, with wonderful things like guaranteed awards and a competitive Job market, than a higher GDP with cheaper labor over all.
Perhaps you do, but I'm sure all the people which were previously unable to find a job think otherwise...
RE: Australia by haydos on 01-03-2008 at 05:16 PM

quote:
I'd rather a slightly weaker economy, relatively speaking, with wonderful things like guaranteed awards and a competitive Job market, than a higher GDP with cheaper labor over all.

A weaker economy would likely have a snowball effect that would end up being a burden to the benefits you pointed out. If you are willing to bust your ass and make an effort, you can get the income that you deserve. Good employers will understand they have to pay fair rates to get good employees.
RE: Australia by markee on 01-05-2008 at 01:31 PM

quote:
quote:
Perhaps you do, but I'm sure all the people which were previously unable to find a job think otherwise...
The whole 0.2% of the labour market?  We were basically at full employment anyway and the little bit extra is pointless realistically.  We have more jobs avaliable than people looking for them, just people dont want to move to the mining areas for some stupid reason.  This peice of legislation was put in at the wrong time, it was better suited for 1987 rather than 2007....

I also believe everything that Verte said, and I dont think we should realistically increase profit lines for businesses further and further, that is one of our big causes of inflation (and then realistically, that needs tighter taxation and modification of other legistlation rather than higher interest rates so as to combat the supply-pull rather than the cost-push mitigating measures they are using).