Shoutbox

Internet Explorer 8 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Internet Explorer 8 (/showthread.php?tid=80333)

Internet Explorer 8 by AngelDevil on 12-22-2007 at 07:57 PM

Bill Gates (my best friend :P) announce that his engineers are working at the development of Internet Explorer 8, and that probably a first beta it's going to be published in the first three months of the 2008.. And the cool news is that IE8 (also called IE.next) passed the Acid2 test in WebStandars... Straaange!!! :D What do you think about this?? And why about you Microsoft is going to release Messenger 2008, after the recently release of Messenger 2008 (i tell about official versions), IE8 after the recently release of IE7, Vista SP1 after Vista???? Apple and Mozilla incoming?? *-)

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by absorbation on 12-22-2007 at 08:02 PM

I don't think Apple and Mozilla have much to worry about, Microsoft is developing new software, but it is still years behind what other companies have produced and there has been a huge quality dip in recent years. Quiet simply Microsoft has gained a reputation of releasing unpolished programs.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Quantum on 12-22-2007 at 08:05 PM

The only reason IE is the most used it because its default with windows.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Discrate on 12-22-2007 at 08:37 PM

i dont get it.  for 4 years microsoft dont release another ie till vista, now vista has come out a year later they are making another ie. wtf.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by vaccination on 12-22-2007 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
i dont get it.  for 4 years microsoft dont release another ie till vista, now vista has come out a year later they are making another ie. wtf.
Pressure from other companies. More people are becoming aware that other browsers actually exist and MS are trying to keep people using their browser by stealing everyone elses features. And badly coding them 8-)
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Menthix on 12-22-2007 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
for 4 years microsoft dont release another ie till vista, now vista has come out a year later they are making another ie.
Because they finally got some decent competition in the form of Firefox to get heir lazy ass to update the ancient IE.
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Dane on 12-22-2007 at 11:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
MS are trying to keep people using their browser by stealing everyone elses features. And badly coding them 8-)

Its not like Firefox didnt steal any features either, all browsers steal from eachother, its not just an Internet Explorer thing.  And none of their features are "Badly Coded", they behave/operate as expected.  Personally, I cannot wait for IE8, I think IE7 was a great release.
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by vaccination on 12-23-2007 at 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane

Its not like Firefox didnt steal any features either, all browsers steal from eachother, its not just an Internet Explorer thing.  And none of their features are "Badly Coded", they behave/operate as expected.  Personally, I cannot wait for IE8, I think IE7 was a great release.
I didn't even mention Firefox in that sentence 8-) I cbf to go on about how bad IE7 is, it's an improvement on 6 yes, but it isn't great. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're entitled to your opinion and their is no right or wrong answer for this sort of thing, I just disagree. ;]
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 12:48 AM

I have seen the screenshots and I can't understand why they almost deleted the Menu bar in IE7 and now they are doing so huge Menu bar like Office 2007 menu bar... :S

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Dane on 12-23-2007 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
I have seen the screenshots and I can't understand why they almost deleted the Menu bar in IE7 and now they are doing so huge Menu bar like Office 2007 menu bar... :S

These screenshots that you're describing are fakes, which were obviously pointed out at the unedited Office 2007 "Word Count" and "Typing Indicator" on the bottom bar, etc. :-P, as far as I know, no real screenshots have leaked.
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 01:01 AM

:P oh ok... thanks for the info Dane...

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by duck! on 12-23-2007 at 01:04 AM

I will use firefox 3, internet explorer is an awful browser :P, it crashes, looks horrible and badly coded, i doubt Internet exploer 8 will be any better 8-)

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 01:10 AM

I'm having a problem with IE7 and latest releases of Adobe Flash Player since 2 years ago and I always wait for every update to solve this problem and nothing happens (it still crash when I visit www.acmilan.com and don't display the titles in www.espndeportes.com)... :( I hate it...

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Dane on 12-23-2007 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
I will use firefox 3, internet explorer is an awful browser :P, it crashes, looks horrible and badly coded, i doubt Internet exploer 8 will be any better 8-)

Like Firefox is any better?  Firefox chews up memory much quicker, I had a nasty bug with it a few weeks ago in which everytime I started it up (No Extensions/Fresh Install), it crashed.  The only way to fix it was to uninstall it and manually delete everything it did.  Also, Firefoxes appearance is awful and cluttered compared to IE7's, even with the skinning in Firefox it continues to look bad (i'm still waiting to see this new interface for Vista integration)...And, per my crashing problem, it also proves that Firefox is badly coded.

Don't get me wrong here, I keep Firefox on my computer for one reason and only one reason...if i'm going to hate a software as much as I hate Firefox, i'm going to keep using it and every new, consecutive version of it to ensure that I still feel the same way about it with every release.  IE8 will include support for the Acid2 test, which is the major thing imo that it was missing, but Firefox 2 currently fails the Acid2 test at this time too, so they're both improving upon that at the same time.

Also, don't doubt IE getting better.  Microsoft has seen that users want more in their browser from the users that HAVE switched to Firefox and i'm sure they're working on competitive features to get those users back.
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Also, Firefoxes appearance is awful and cluttered compared to IE7's, even with the skinning in Firefox it continues to look bad
well that is depending of the skin you use... no all are bads... and the skin engine I think is very good one...

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by aNILEator on 12-23-2007 at 01:52 AM

Dane Firefox is completely customizable you can get rid of any icons you want or adjust the spacing between icons or delete toolbars etc etc. So there's no way you can say it's crowded. It looks no different from most browsers tbh :S

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by djdannyp on 12-23-2007 at 02:56 AM

Internet Explorer 8 all the way for me

It always has, and always will be, all about Microsoft for me.  I only use non Microsoft programmes when there isn't a Microsoft alternative.  The products are always polished, reliable and exactly what you ask for, no hidden surprises.   And they never create any compatibility issues cos they're all designed to run together

Microsoft all the way for me (Y)

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by MicroWay on 12-23-2007 at 02:58 AM

For me, I will use IE8....
I never had problems with it... Even with the flash webpages and online games....

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Chestah on 12-23-2007 at 03:03 AM

I have no idea why we are speculating as we have really no idea what IE8 is going to be like... for all everyone knows here it could truly be better than FF3 (unlikely but very possible - don't forget the resources Microsoft has available).

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I don't think Apple and Mozilla have much to worry about, Microsoft is developing new software, but it is still years behind what other companies have produced and there has been a huge quality dip in recent years. Quiet simply Microsoft has gained a reputation of releasing unpolished programs.

ha.. i don't think Microsoft has much to worry about either... their market share is barely feeling FF and Opera and i imagine in the future new releases of IE, as they become more up to a FF standard, will convert people back.

Its a case of waiting and seeing :P

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by kezz on 12-23-2007 at 04:54 AM

There really isn't much point arguing over which one is better, because people are unlikely to swap based on a few opinions, they usually have to try it for themselves. Personally, Firefox is great, but i'm waiting to see what MS can produce in IE8, because I think they have potential.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by -dt- on 12-23-2007 at 04:58 AM

Heh, but with places in firefox 3 and awesomebar I cant see anyone swapping back, hell i know tones of people who will swap just for awesomebar alone
[Image: firefoxawesomebar.jpg]

quote:
but Firefox 2 currently fails the Acid2 test at this time too, so they're both improving upon that at the same time.
not really, firefox 3 added acid2 support back around 19-Aug-2006.
IE is far behind firefox

quote:
Also, Firefoxes appearance is awful and cluttered compared to IE7's
I've never thought this, I prefer it over IE7's new "hide all the menus and see if people can find them" look : <

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
ha.. i don't think Microsoft has much to worry about either... their market share is barely feeling FF and Opera and i imagine in the future new releases of IE, as they become more up to a FF standard, will convert people back.
=p i don't see that happening.
IE needs to upgrade jscript ( to add support for E4x, generators and iterators, destructuring assignment )
IE needs DOM2 events
IE needs the html5 canvas tag (sure you can emulate it, but other browsers are already working on 3D canvas (using opengl) which you cant emulate.)
IE needs svg support (without adobe's plugin)

IE could use microsummaries which are pure awesome
IE could use html5 Client side persistent storage
IE could use html5 Server sent events (only opera supports these at the moment, example)

heh that's all i can think of at the moment, that's all i can think of from the top of my head.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Chestah on 12-23-2007 at 05:31 AM

so basicially to sum up this thread... IE could use dt :P

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Eddie on 12-23-2007 at 06:05 AM

Firefox all the way for me, which has been the case since i moved to Firefox 1, i like the way it works, the memory leak can be easily fixed, it doesnt look cluttered and the options are easy to navigate, top browser for me, but i will try IE8 because IE7 isn't to bad. But Firefox will always be the top of my list.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by AngelDevil on 12-23-2007 at 07:49 AM

I try both of them... Now I've Firefox 2, it's nice expecially because it have plugins and extension, I like Google View for example. But when I open it, it load for 5-6 seconds in my pc... too! And so I prefer to use IE7, that load in 2-3 seconds.

If I create a website, it's logical that I need to try it with Firefox... try for example to use www.msghelp.it with IE7 (many errors) or with Firefox (nothing errors!).. but if IE8 respect rules of WS and W3C, i think that I use it...

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Lourix on 12-23-2007 at 08:45 AM

I have to admit I have had more problems with IE then Firefox, also on Firefox it is way easier to customise it which is great. What I hate about IE is the fact that it is so cluttered, with all the extra bars and all.
Firefox is the future people :D

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by vaccination on 12-23-2007 at 09:45 AM

Hiding all userbars so that people can't find them is not clean ¬_¬

There's a wealth of good skins for Firefox. Using the Nasa Night Launch skin atm, it's hot and fits well with Vista. The design is completely customizable as Nile said.

Not to mention all of Firefox 3's new features 8-)

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Eddie on 12-23-2007 at 11:01 AM

Personally IE7 on my computer loads quickly but i find it to be extremely laggy with certain websites such as myspace, where as Firefox 2/3 load the website quickly and my computer doesn't lag which just drives me insane on IE7.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by AngelDevil on 12-23-2007 at 12:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Personally IE7 on my computer loads quickly but i find it to be extremely laggy with certain websites such as myspace, where as Firefox 2/3 load the website quickly and my computer doesn't lag which just drives me insane on IE7.

:D hahahah... a future advertisment:

Drives you insane. Download now Internet Explorer.

But a thing. Live Spaces have many errors and viewing problems with Firefox..
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by aNILEator on 12-23-2007 at 12:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
so basicially to sum up this thread... IE could use dt :P

Well maybe but we could be in for %Nan%
RE: Internet Explorer 8 by Chris4 on 12-23-2007 at 12:42 PM

I don't have a problem with IE7, but I prefer Firefox 2 because of all the features it has which IE doesn't: add-ons, themes, (loads more), etc. You can personalise FF2 a lot more. You just use IE how it comes.

RE: Internet Explorer 8 by MeEtc on 12-23-2007 at 06:40 PM

Personally, I use Firefox 2. I'm comfortable with it and i love the addons and built in search. I haven't upgraded to IE7 because of all the negative press I heard about it. My IT dept has also recommended that nobody should upgrade to IE7 on company computers either, due to compatibility issues.