Shoutbox

[REQUEST] Weather Skin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Forum: Skin Requests (/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+------ Thread: [REQUEST] Weather Skin (/showthread.php?tid=80349)

[REQUEST] Weather Skin by stuartbennett on 12-23-2007 at 08:31 AM

ok to be honest i would have loved to have been the developer to accomplish this but right now its way beyond my ability, i dont even know if messenger or even plus will let you do this but hey maybe one day.

i have windows vista on my pc and use the weather gadget to see what the weathers like, gadgets are made in xml and guess what so are skins, so it occured to me why cant one xml thingy work in combination with another?

so my idea is this, a skin that gets the current weather state from vista bundled weather gadget and based on what the weather is the theme of messenger would change accordingly, also this gadget shows night like images during the evening so when the gadget does that messenger could theme itself into a night time theme.

now knowing that whenever you change from one theme to another your loading a different resgroup im guessing it restarts messenger so like i said above may not be technically possible at present but would be nice if this could be acheived in the future anyways just some food for thought.

RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 01:33 PM

I think that you will need some scripting things that you won't be able to do with skins... :( but I love your idea...

RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by stuartbennett on 12-23-2007 at 02:18 PM

thanks warmth, yeah like you said its probably going to take a better skinning engine that the one plus has now to pull this off and even then i still dont know if messenger itself is capable of running something that advanced in its present state but hey messenger and messenger plus are constantly be improved and updated so maybe one day this will be a reality.

RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by Spunky on 12-23-2007 at 02:53 PM

I think all images are loaded into memory at startup and not re-read meaning it would only be able to change the skins to what it was when you started messenger. Even then, skins will probably be loaded before scripts meaning that a script will not have time to change the skin before it's initialized. It is a good idea, but I don't think that it will ever be possible.

RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by warmth on 12-23-2007 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
thanks warmth, yeah like you said its probably going to take a better skinning engine that the one plus has now
:O I didn't say that... I think is more a sync lack between scripts and skins... but that was already adviced for next releases of MP!L so if this comes true maybe we will see things very near of what are you requesting...

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
It is a good idea, but I don't think that it will ever be possible.
I think it will... have you ever changed the lvback.gif file minimized WLM to taskbar and reopened??? the image reload... maybe in some future MP!L can do the same...
RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by stuartbennett on 12-23-2007 at 06:03 PM

cool, yes we probably need an update to plus but yeah i think itll be possible one day.

RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by Nathan on 12-23-2007 at 06:18 PM

Yeah, i think you should be able to implement scripts into the skin, that way it expands the skinning world even more!

RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by stuartbennett on 12-23-2007 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Yeah, i think you should be able to implement scripts into the skin, that way it expands the skinning world even more!

yeah napbree, you see with skinning having interconnectivity to scripts i could have my skin hook into the birthday reminder script so when its my birthday it changes to the birthday theme, and if birthday reminder was expanded to allow you to remember valentine day and other events that happen same day every year then it could change to those themes on those days automatically too
RE: [REQUEST] Weather Skin by Voldemort on 12-24-2007 at 07:31 PM

well, you could do some sort of neutral skin and change lvback.gif when required, with a script