Shoutbox

Question when using uTorrent - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Question when using uTorrent (/showthread.php?tid=80381)

Question when using uTorrent by RebelSean on 12-24-2007 at 09:12 AM

I was downloading something and noticed a little green icon in uTorrent, I clicked it, and this is the message I received:

quote:
Originally posted by uTorrent
Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.
A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 48880 on xxxxxx...

Error! Port 48880 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

I'm a newb at this stuff, how do I open that port and will it give me better download speeds?
RE: Question when using uTorrent by Mike on 12-24-2007 at 09:30 AM

Try looking here: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_f...ng/routerindex.htm :)

RE: Question when using uTorrent by RebelSean on 12-24-2007 at 09:59 AM

Muchos gracias!

RE: Question when using uTorrent by vikke on 12-24-2007 at 10:01 AM

This is wierd, because the green dot is indicating that the port is forwarded correctly, and accepting incoming connections. If it's green, everything is working alright. If it's a yellow warning sign, it might work, but it haven't got any connections so far. Red, no connections accepted.

There's a protocol called uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) which "talks" to your firewall, and automatically allows incoming connections from the port specified. If your firewall has uPnP support, I strongly recommend this. You can set uTorrent to use uPnP in it's Settings-window, make sure it's ticked and try again.

If you don't like uPnP, you can always map a port (like 48880) to your network IP inside your router/firewall, more information about that on the link Mike gave you above. If you're not going to use the 48880 port, don't forget to change it in the uTorrent-settings as well (I always do this mistake). Every port will not work, for example is 80 already used by HTTP, the normal connection to the internet. I recommend you to use 20000+. :)

RE: Question when using uTorrent by Jarrod on 12-24-2007 at 01:11 PM

some isps also throttle known p2p ports I recommend hijacking another port, for example I use my voIP port(5060)
i needed to enable upnp port mapping but it worked once i did

RE: Question when using uTorrent by Voldemort on 12-24-2007 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
Muchos gracias!

muchas* at least get it right

vikke is probably right though :p
RE: RE: Question when using uTorrent by rav0 on 12-26-2007 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Every port will not work, for example is 80 already used by HTTP, the normal connection to the internet. I recommend you to use 20000+. :)
Port 80 will work unless you are running a server (eg web server) on that port already. however, ports numbered less than 1024 are special, so it's a better idea to not use it, also because 80 is sometimes blocked by transparent proxies (possibly some peers won't be able to connect to you at 80).