Shoutbox

A question about MSN remote desktop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: A question about MSN remote desktop (/showthread.php?tid=80392)

A question about MSN remote desktop by patpatchou on 12-24-2007 at 07:03 PM

Hi, Guys,

I wish I could use MSN to remotely control my home pc or office pc, but it seems impossible, because I couldn't find remote control menu for this function. It seems MSN only provides a remote server function in its menu: Activity/As for remote asistance.   So, from the handy PC I am not able to make a remote-desktop connection to control the remote PC, unless somebody sits at the remote PC to start the connection for me.

Has anybody solved this issue?

Or Patchou, could you add some function to MsgPlus so that it could be used to do the job for remote controlling?

Thanks.

RE: A question about MSN remote desktop by Thor on 12-24-2007 at 09:38 PM

To do that, you need to use Windows built-in extern desktop.

Start > All programs > Accessories > Communication (I think) > Remote desktop connection

Sorry 'bout that, I have a tendency to swap certain words.

RE: A question about MSN remote desktop by ShawnZ on 12-24-2007 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nitro
extern desktop.

extern isn't a word. you mean "remote desktop connection".
RE: A question about MSN remote desktop by Menthix on 12-24-2007 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
extern isn't a word
It is :o, just not the right word.
you didn't understand my question by patpatchou on 12-25-2007 at 05:48 PM

Nitro, It doesn't work as I said.

Because the windows built in function doesn't allow you connects to a MSN PC online directly. It only allows you to connector to a PC of known IP address.

As we all know, MSN communicates through firewall and you have no way to use the built-in remote-desktop function.

The only way to make remote control is: using the "Ask for remote assistance" menu in MSN.  But you are not able to use this menu because you are not sitting at the remote PC.

My idea is, let the MSGPlus automatically invoke the "Ask for remote assistance" function on the remote PC.

Is it possible to make MsgPlus to do the job for us?
Is it possible to make a script to do the job for us?

RE: A question about MSN remote desktop by Jesus on 12-25-2007 at 06:29 PM

you could set an autoreply on the target PC, so that if you (or anyone else, so be careful) send eg. "connecttoremotedesktop" and the target pc will reply with "/assist", asking you to start remote desktop

edit: I'm not sure if you gain control over the remote pc immediately. Additional steps may be required to do this.

RE: A question about MSN remote desktop by ahmetgns on 12-25-2007 at 07:39 PM

You can use Answering Machine Plus! for auto replying and you can define a secret word for it to send /assist command back to you.

However, as far as I know when Remote Assistance is first started, it is enabled for only Viewing the Screen. To gain control over that PC, the person who asks for help should allow you to get control and Plus! can't do this normally and I think it mustn't, because it is not an add-on to do such things actually.