Shoutbox

someone hacking my account - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: someone hacking my account (/showthread.php?tid=80449)

someone hacking my account by cd02 on 12-26-2007 at 09:52 PM

is it possible that someone is trying to hack my account with a bot ?

if so, anyone know how to put a stop to it ?

RE: someone hacking my account by MattyRid on 12-26-2007 at 10:28 PM

change your password maybe?

RE: someone hacking my account by RebelSean on 12-26-2007 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MattyRid
change your password maybe?

As well as your secret question and answer :).

http://account.live.com
RE: someone hacking my account by cd02 on 12-27-2007 at 01:28 AM

everytime i change my password, within 2 mins, they've attempted to hack it again and i'm re-locked back out, hence me thinking its a bot attack, like a program not a person..

RE: someone hacking my account by MattyRid on 12-27-2007 at 01:42 AM

which means you have nothing but viruses on your computer as well..., I suggest then format your computer, reinstall windows and then change your password, secret question, etc.

RE: someone hacking my account by Shippo on 12-27-2007 at 02:24 AM

If you got access to another computer, change the information on that while you scan your computer. Do not format, but try scanning to see what's going on and delete as much of the stuff as you can. I don't necessarily recommend formating unless it's absolutely necessary to do so.

RE: someone hacking my account by cd02 on 12-27-2007 at 03:16 PM

microsoft have sorted it now.. wasn't a virus as happened on every machine i tried, windows, mac, pc, laptop..

was advised someone had added me to a bot list where it keeps trying to hack your password.. hence it locking me out as it tries loads in a ever short amount of time..

RE: someone hacking my account by RebelSean on 12-27-2007 at 07:00 PM

quote:
which means you have nothing but viruses on your computer as well..., I suggest then format your computer, reinstall windows and then change your password, secret question, etc.

You shouldn't suggest that to users when it's mearly someone using a bot to login to an account X times and kicking them off :-/.

RE: someone hacking my account by MattyRid on 12-27-2007 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

You shouldn't suggest that to users when it's mearly someone using a bot to login to an account X times and kicking them off :-/.

So it isn't possible that someone was/is using a virus, or even a keylogger, to get that information and quickly lock him out of his account? Take it from me, it happened to me until I formatted.
RE: someone hacking my account by RebelSean on 12-28-2007 at 06:43 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
quote:

So it isn't possible that someone was/is using a virus, or even a keylogger, to get that information and quickly lock him out of his account? Take it from me, it happened to me until I formatted.

I forget exactly how many attempts that it takes for failed logins until your acount is locked for X minutes (It's changed since the last time I tried it). cd02 didn't state someone had his password, only that his account kept getting locked. Even if cd02 had a virus or a keylogger, recommending a format is the last resort. A virus scan/adware scan should be the first steps. :)