Shoutbox

Adware/Sponsor Questions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Adware/Sponsor Questions (/showthread.php?tid=80467)

Adware/Sponsor Questions by Leiko on 12-27-2007 at 04:29 PM

Okay, so last night a friend told me about MsgPlus, and I decided to try it out.
I hurried through installation since it was late at night, and I think I might have installed the sponsor, too.

I ran Ad-Aware, AVG anti virus, etc. and they didn't pick up anything, so NO, I didn't unistall anything via those programs (except for a few cookies, but I always get those).

I then read more, and read about uninstalling it via Add/Remove programs. Sure enough, it said Sponsor as well. The thing is, my Ad-aware and AVG didn't even detect it, nor have I had pop-ups, and Internet Explorer doesn't have some new toolbar on it like you're supposed to get (you do get one, right?). So I went to uninstall the sponsor, but it said it couldn't complete un-installation, so I went ahead and just removed MsgPlus instead.

How do I know if I have this adware on my computer or not? Is there a way to search it?

I don't really want to have to re-install that crap onto my computer again...or is that the only way? I'm not even sure that it's on here, besides the fact that I saw it listed on add/remove programs.

Please help. This is driving me nuts, because this is a new computer, and I really, really, really do not want any programs on here that I don't want, IE. trojans and adware.

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by ShawnZ on 12-27-2007 at 04:36 PM

if it was listed in add-remove programs, it's installed -- the installation probably just didn't complete. i recommend you follow the instructions and reinstall it with the sponsor and then fully uninstall it.

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Leiko on 12-27-2007 at 04:44 PM

Also...what all is the sponsor? What damage can it cause to my computer/my privacy?
I heard there's a Trojan, and adware of course.
What do they do?

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Volv on 12-27-2007 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leiko
Also...what all is the sponsor? What damage can it cause to my computer/my privacy?
I heard there's a Trojan, and adware of course.
What do they do?
The sponsor isn't malicious software, it is just adware which displays advertisement popups.
I would suggest following shawnz's (above) instructions to ensure proper removal.
RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Leiko on 12-27-2007 at 05:19 PM

I re-installed the sponsor.

"The sponsor's uninstallation program couldn't be started. Please try restarting your computer and disable your antivirus programs."

I've restarted the computer before...and Ad-aware isn't running...

Edit: If it helps, these are the anitvirus/spywear/adware programs I have:
Norton Protection Center
Ad-Aware
Windows Defender (comes with windows vista)
AVG-Antivirus

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by ShawnZ on 12-27-2007 at 05:24 PM

try running the uninstaller in safe mode, to make sure that both it and any anti-virus isn't running.

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Leiko on 12-27-2007 at 05:41 PM

Didn't work...when I used Safe Mode, it gave me the same message as before.

Would system restore solve this if I restored to the day before I installed it?

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by aNILEator on 12-27-2007 at 07:05 PM

maybe, System Restore has an odd way of actually doing what you want it to do sometimes

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Leiko on 01-09-2008 at 01:07 AM

Okay, here's an update on my problem.

I never decided to system restore yet.

But today, my anti-virus program detected a trojan located in a folder called "Circle Development". Is this the same thing as "CiD" that comes with MsgPLus? :\ The file detected as a trojan within the folder was named "Uninstall.exe". The antivirus program called this discovery "Trojan horse Generic9.ALBS".

Apparently, my brother ran the anti-virus program a few days ago, and deleted it. But it popped up again today, this time, when I ran the antivirus... and when I looked in the Ad and Remove programs section, to uninstall MsgPlus + the sponsor, it said something along the lines of "Sponsor damaged by third party program, please install again."

I have re-installed it to remove it, and it didn't seem to work. I even tried safe mode.

I have a feeling this trojan is from the sponsor... So, please, oh please, help me remove it?

PLEASE, before you respond to this post, read the stuff I've written above in previous posts.

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by vaccination on 01-09-2008 at 08:31 AM

It is NOT a trojan, your adware removal software detects it wrong. If you then delete that it will corrupt the uninstaller. You are at no risk at all, nothing malicious is in the sponsor, it is simply a program that displays advertisement popups when Internet Explorer is running, this is so Patchou(creator of Messenger Plus!) can generate revenue. This is not the reason you couldn't uninstall it before though, something else has happened, I'm not sure what.

It should fix itself if you reinstall Plus! with the sponsor, restart, then uninstall both plus and the sponsor. (You can then install Plus! without the sponsor)

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Dane on 01-09-2008 at 08:54 AM

You are using AVG AntiVirus along with Norton Protection Center (which == 2 antivirus programs == conflicts).  You do NOT need to be running 2 AntiVirus Programs, i'd personally stick with Norton.  AVG is likely grabbing the sponsors files (as you say, it detected a "Trojan", it isnt really a trojan, AVG just sucks) and not alerting you correctly.  I'd say Remove AVG, Reinstall Plus! with Sponsor, Uninstall Sponsor using MsgPlus Setup.  And Never, EVER use 2 AntiVirus programs at once.  I hope this helps.

RE: Adware/Sponsor Questions by Patchou on 01-09-2008 at 05:54 PM

If you don't see any popup advertisements marked "CiD", then the sponsor did not install on your system for some reason. Note that some detection programs block the sponsor without notice so if you didn't disable them before isntallation, this could explain why the program tried to install, failed and so, did not show anything as a result.

Bottom line is: don't worry. The only thing the sponsor does is show some advertisements, it does not do anythign else on your system. If you don't see the ads, then there's no need to search for the program and you can let your antivirus remove the uninstaller if it wants.