Shoutbox

Cannot add emoticons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Cannot add emoticons (/showthread.php?tid=80480)

Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 12-28-2007 at 02:06 AM

Somebody can help me please.

Cannot add emoticons . Ever since my new laptop came with Windows Vista Live.

I right click on the emoticon and i get it selected in the box as if I was going to be able to add it, instead I get .

a little window the first line says COPY in black and the second is faded you cant do anything with it that says select all.

Anyone pls. that had the same problem and got it fixed and how?

Thanks.

Im new here and I dont know where to post this for help. I really need the help since I got my laptop I've had this problem and still unresolved.

Its driving me up the walls.

RE: Cannot add emoticons by djdannyp on 12-28-2007 at 11:44 AM

That box that you describe comes up when you click on a default WLM emoticon (such as :) or :().  you cannot add those as they are already emoticons

ask a contact to send you a custom emoticon (one not included with WLM) and then try right clicking on it and see if you get the add dialogue

RE: Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 12-29-2007 at 11:26 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Everything that I mentioned about not being able to add emoticons and exactly what happens.

It happens every time I try to get an emoticon from a contact , from any contact.

I never get the add dialogue.

RE: Cannot add emoticons by Chris4 on 12-29-2007 at 11:32 PM

mikef2k1.. can you confirm that it is CUSTOM emoticons you are trying to add from your contacts and not default emoticons?

Here's what you should see when you add a custom emoticon:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=878681]

RE: Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 12-30-2007 at 11:45 PM

Yes they are CUSTOM emoticons Im trying to add .

I know what to do but ever since I got live messenger I cannot.

Everyting I wrote in my 1st post  thats what happens intead of the add I get the copy w/o the add as I described.

RE: Cannot add emoticons by exbox on 12-31-2007 at 03:35 AM

i think this has come up before, its quite strange and seems to be a random bug...

what version of messenger do you have? try installing the very newest one and see if it fixes it... if there is an emoticon that you really want then you can save it with the emoticon stealer on this tools page

if you fix it, be sure to tell us how you did it....

RE: Cannot add emoticons by ahmetgns on 01-01-2008 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikef2k1
It happens every time I try to get an emoticon from a contact , from any contact.
You said "any contact" but all of those cntacts whose custom emoticons you tried to add may have MessengerDiscovery on their computers and ticked its option "Don't allow my contacts add my custom emoticons by right-clicking on them". :rolleyes:
RE: Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 01-13-2008 at 09:13 PM

Hi I was away on a trip . thanks for the tip about the the emoticon stealer  Exbox .

It worked I tried it with my brother and only from him could get emoticons.

Ahmetgns what is this MessengerDiscovery because ,I think you are right .

I can see and add  all their pictures even the people who were offline,  but I could not add or see the emoticons of any of them.

RE: Cannot add emoticons by ahmetgns on 01-13-2008 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mikef2k1
Ahmetgns what is this MessengerDiscovery because ,I think you are right .
MessengerDiscovery Live is an add-on for Windows Live Messenger and it has the option I mentioned above. People who have the program installed at their computers can use that option and prevent their contacts add their custom emoticons by right clicking>Add... menu. But it is a small possibility that all of your contacts have that add-on and uses that option of it. Yet, you have to make sure that your contacts doesn't use it. (There may be other add-ons which does the same thing about emoticons, it is not necessarily MessengerDiscovery Live)
quote:
I can see and add  all their pictures even the people who were offline,  but I could not add or see the emoticons of any of them.
I see that you cannot add the emoticons but what about this "see" here. If you cannot see the emoticons, you cannot even try to add them :rolleyes: , you better explain it please (Remember that Windows Live Messenger itself has two options for both default and custom emoticons (Messenger Options>Messages>"Show emoticons" and "Show custom emoticons")
RE: Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 01-13-2008 at 10:10 PM

I meant about the program Exbox refered me to.

I could copy/add their display pictures if I wanted to which Im against.
The people online/offline(online opted to be offline).

But the emoticons I could not view at all of any of them.

I want to add that my brother opened this post for me when I got my laptop . My brother replied bellow , I ask him to reply on technical immediately .

You are all  really helpfull and know your stuff  so I want to be honest here.

RE: RE: Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 01-13-2008 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgnsI see that you cannot add the emoticons but what about this "see" here. If you cannot see the emoticons, you cannot even try to add them :rolleyes: , you better explain it please (Remember that Windows Live Messenger itself has two options for both default and custom emoticons (Messenger Options>Messages>"Show emoticons" and "Show custom emoticons")[/quote

What I meant to say was that using the CEDP Stealer program, I am able to copy other peoples profile picture. Yet I cannot copy their emoticons.

The way CEDP works is that it scans the computer for emoticon files. I assume they are either present in temporary folders or maybe the computer's RAM(after they are sent to me via a IM chat window. However this program is only able to find some custom emoticon animations, not all of them.
RE: Cannot add emoticons by mikef2k1 on 01-15-2008 at 01:29 AM

Im still having this problem and the CEDP stealer program worked on the first contact for the emoticons.

As for the display pictures yes it scans them and you can add/copy if you want.

I dont know maybe my laptop came defected or something.

RE: Cannot add emoticons by exbox on 01-15-2008 at 10:51 AM

what version of messenger are you using?

with the CEDP Stealer program, make sure you're using the latest version (6.0)... also, look in all of the programs sections, including the bit which says "Animations", the "Emoticons" section doesnt show the animated emoticons of your friends...hth