Shoutbox

Music Library Duplicate Removerererer - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Music Library Duplicate Removerererer (/showthread.php?tid=80517)

Music Library Duplicate Removerererer by lordy on 12-29-2007 at 11:20 AM

Does anyone know of a program that, rather than analyzing the ID3 tags of an mp3 file to find duplicates, actually analyzes the song data to find duplicate copies of a song? I know that I have numerous duplicates in my music library but the traditional programs dont pick them up because the ID3 artist/title tages are spelt different or something.

RE: Music Library Duplicate Removerererer by Chestah on 12-29-2007 at 11:47 AM

[unrelated]

why does this remind me of that awesomely dodgy itunes library exporter i made :D

[/unrelated]

RE: Music Library Duplicate Removerererer by Voldemort on 12-29-2007 at 04:06 PM

you could try finddupe in your music directory or noclone on several directories, it generates a hash number and compares that... so it finds duplicates nicely, i have used them :D

RE: Music Library Duplicate Removerererer by rav0 on 12-30-2007 at 11:36 AM

What programs are there that do this using how the track sounds? I have duplicated that have different metadata, but also duplicates that are encoded differently (eg a high bitrate version for my computer alongside lower bitrate versions for my phone).

RE: Music Library Duplicate Removerererer by CookieRevised on 12-30-2007 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
you could try finddupe in your music directory or noclone on several directories, it generates a hash number and compares that... so it finds duplicates nicely, i have used them :D
That will never work.

The hashes are based upon the file. It is just the same as simply comparing the file. The ID3 tags are contained within the files, so if they are different and the actual MP3 data stream is the same, the hashes would be different too and thus those duplicate songs will never be detected.

----

What is needed is a program which compares the actual decoded audio stream. (and prefereably does frequency analisys too, so that tiny differences can be dismissed or noted as 'almost similar' using spectography).

I requested the very same thing a very very very long time ago (back in the time the animals could still talk :p), never found a decent program: compare MP3's

And in January, the very same thing was also asked, but for images: Find copies of images