Shoutbox

I know this isn't an xbox forum but... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... (/showthread.php?tid=80590)

I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 01:03 PM

My xbox is broken and I need help

I start a game, and then I start to play  it, it will just show green distortion.
You can still here the sound but the video is screwed.

Its not the tv, my PS3 works on it fine.

Thanks

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by vaccination on 01-01-2008 at 01:09 PM

Does it happen for all games? Or just a particular one?

Are you sure the cables are connected properly?

Are you using a mode on the xbox which your monitor/tv doesn't support? ( On the xbox dashboard, go to the System tab > Console Settings > Display to find the current settings and mess around with some others)

If the xbox dashboard is displaying fine and it's only when you start a game, I'd suggest it's something to do with the Display settings.

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 02:04 PM

No, sorry I didn't specify.

The cables are indeed in properly, and it's not about the game, its more how long the xbox is on for. So if its on for a certian time, then it will do the green thing

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by vaccination on 01-01-2008 at 02:42 PM

Hmm, well a google search found this.

quote:
Originally posted by site

Symptoms of the defect include the screen blacking out, with white dots appearing all over it. Some posters also report that green shadows plague their television displays (one of the common signs of video card failure). The audio, they claim, remains unaffected.

If it's a hardware issue they'll replace your xbox for you. Just hope you don't get same problem as Patchou 8-)
RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Volv on 01-01-2008 at 02:45 PM

What type of 'green distortion' do you mean, is it like the noise when your TV is not picking up any channels or an overlay of green, or is it just some random specks of green appearing in random places?

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 04:05 PM

its an overlay of green with speckles and strips of black

Thanks for that Vacci :)

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Discrate on 01-01-2008 at 04:46 PM

Maybe your tv doesn't work good with the xbox for some reason. Is your xbox  a 360? how old is the tv?

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 05:52 PM

Erm, it wouldn't just stop working after months and months on being used on it.

I have a 360, and the tv is 3-4 years old

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Oxy on 01-01-2008 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree

Erm, it wouldn't just stop working after months and months on being used on it.
If it's got wear and age on it, it'd probably have more chance of breaking than a new one. :wink:
i'm aware you might not have had it for that long, but i was just stating a point.
RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 08:18 PM

I've had it for nearly a year, I got it just after christmas :P

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by vaccination on 01-01-2008 at 08:34 PM

I'm guessing it's something to do with overheating.

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 08:38 PM

Hmm, it doesn't get hot at the back :S

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by vaccination on 01-01-2008 at 08:41 PM

The graphics chip isn't at the back

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 08:56 PM

It doesn't matter, the fan's draw out all of the heat... right?

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by prashker on 01-01-2008 at 09:01 PM

Are you getting any red lights? (Ring of Death :p?)

If so, they extended the warranty to 3 years for that.

If not, make sure all cables are plugged in, try putting the Xbox 360 Vertical (or Horizontal, whichever is the opposite of what you had). And try to turn it on.

If it does not work call em up and explain the issue.

You'll most likely get a refurbished one back :)

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 09:16 PM

I don't get the ring of death, but I have done previously when we has a power cut, once I turned it back on it quickly flashed the ring for about 2-3 secs :(

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by prashker on 01-01-2008 at 09:24 PM

quote:
I don't get the ring of death, but I have done previously when we has a power cut, once I turned it back on it quickly flashed the ring for about 2-3 secs :(

Call em (y).
RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by Nathan on 01-01-2008 at 09:47 PM

Can't atm, they're shut (according to there website :P)

RE: I know this isn't an xbox forum but... by user27089 on 01-01-2008 at 11:11 PM

quote:

There's a chance that you may have shorted a circuit within the console itself then, and when it gets to a certain temperature, it causes the graphics card to go overheat and no longer function properly.

I hope your 360 is under warranty, legal and registered properly. Go to www.xbox.com to sort it out dude.