Shoutbox

Also need help looking at laptops - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Also need help looking at laptops (/showthread.php?tid=80698)

Also need help looking at laptops by Anubis on 01-04-2008 at 08:22 PM

I'm just comparing two very similar laptops. One has a T2310 processor and the other has a T5250 processor. Without a doubt the T5250 seems much better. However, I just wondered if you guys could give me any feedback on whether it is that straightforward or not. Thanks :D Also with the more modern dual core processors, does clock speed still really matter as much? A lot of people are telling me it is not as important (because a few more efficient processors can actually perform better on a lower clock speed).

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Shippo on 01-04-2008 at 11:20 PM

Exactly what do you plan to use the laptop for? I'd love to have a couple links to them as well.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by albert on 01-05-2008 at 01:29 AM

I'd go for the T5250, not a question of speed, but of cache.
The T2310 only has 1MB of cache.. The T5250 has 2MB (I'm guessing that's by core..)

I've bought my sister a Toshiba U300-TP3, and was also wondering between these two processor (T5250 with 1GB or T2310 with 2GB of ram), I've chosen the later, but I highly suggest you don't make the same mistake as I did.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Menthix on 01-05-2008 at 01:47 AM

Any differences in the specs apart from the CPU? I wouldn't base a decision like this just on CPU.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Shayne on 01-05-2008 at 11:46 AM

As people mention above it matters on what you're going to do with it. If your not going to do much like Web browsing or what not, then even a simple crappy laptop will pull through.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Anubis on 01-05-2008 at 08:20 PM

Right I've pretty much looked around for a good while now and I'm looking towards this laptop or this one (I can get it somewhere else for £360 despite what it says on the website). The processor seems to be the major difference (the 160gb vs 250gb hard drive isn't a big factor). I personally think paying £60 for the better processor cache is worth it. Also, I'm not that familiar with dual cores, and I do like a bit of gaming does anyone think they'll work (reasonably) okay with games like Battlefield 2 or Counter Strike Source (despite being a little under-spec)?

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Shippo on 01-06-2008 at 12:56 AM

The one you link to from Staples is a better buy, I will admit that. However, your dreaming if you think you can play either of the games will work on a laptop to be honest. In my view, laptops are meant for doing documents or something and possibly light gaming depending on what kind of game.

Games like Battlefield 2 or something won't necessarily work well on a laptop, even on lowest settings.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Anubis on 01-06-2008 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shippo
However, your dreaming if you think you can play either of the games will work on a laptop to be honest.
The Staples one should play CSS without a problem. I'm actually looking at one up in Dell, with a T7250 processor.
RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Quantum on 01-06-2008 at 06:36 PM

I wouldnt buy from dell they suck big time.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Shippo on 01-06-2008 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by Shippo
However, your dreaming if you think you can play either of the games will work on a laptop to be honest.
The Staples one should play CSS without a problem. I'm actually looking at one up in Dell, with a T7250 processor.

Who knows, I don't play it at all. o.O But like I said, laptops aren't really meant for gaming.
RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Voldemort on 01-06-2008 at 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
oh, really? proof.
RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Shippo on 01-06-2008 at 07:48 PM

I never was a fan of Dell much. But with the recall of the batteries and such would make me turn away from them. (not that every company has some sort of recall, but it's typically Dell that I keep hearing recalls from)

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Quantum on 01-06-2008 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
oh, really? proof.

http://www.ihatedell.net/

Bought a laptop from them a few years ago. Sent wrong one twice and billed me for them. Thats why i thing dell sucks.
RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Jarrod on 01-06-2008 at 09:03 PM

mac book pro :banana:

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by Voldemort on 01-06-2008 at 09:57 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
oh, really? proof.

http://www.ihatedell.net/

Bought a laptop from them a few years ago. Sent wrong one twice and billed me for them. Thats why i thing dell sucks.

ages ago? just about the same time you've been designing web pages for? i have a hard time believing you, your made-up story, or anything you say, krissy, george, whatever your lame name is.

RE: Also need help looking at laptops by ShawnZ on 01-06-2008 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Right I've pretty much looked around for a good while now and I'm looking towards this laptop or this one (I can get it somewhere else for £360 despite what it says on the website). The processor seems to be the major difference (the 160gb vs 250gb hard drive isn't a big factor). I personally think paying £60 for the better processor cache is worth it. Also, I'm not that familiar with dual cores, and I do like a bit of gaming does anyone think they'll work (reasonably) okay with games like Battlefield 2 or Counter Strike Source (despite being a little under-spec)?

games dont use dual core