Shoutbox

[Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! (/showthread.php?tid=80704)

[Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Keikonium on 01-04-2008 at 11:05 PM

When I had started my skin a month or so ago, I didn't even think about the problems I would face with a patched messenger. I read a couple weeks ago NOT to skin on a patched messenger cause it wouldn't work for others or something unless they had the same patch settings as you.

Anyways, I decided to uninstall WLM and then reinstall a clean version with ONLY mp!l as the only addon. I moved my skin folder back into skins, and enabled my skin. It said it was applied, but there were no changes at all to how my skin looked.

So is there an easy way to get my skin I made on a patched messenger to work on a fresh install?

RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by prashker on 01-04-2008 at 11:06 PM

Get a program such as AptDiff (program that compares 2 files together and shows the differences).

Compare your skins strings and definition files with UNEDITED ones.

Check what strings you changed, and find out what they should be....etc.

That would be my only idea besides starting fresh :p

RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Basilis on 01-05-2008 at 10:46 AM

The fact that your skin is shown does not mean something. It would be shown just because there is a SkinInfo with its name in the skins directory. You can check if there is a Skin trace so that you find out what mistakes you have made. If there is no Skin trace then I suggest you do what SonicSam told you.

RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Volv on 01-05-2008 at 02:14 PM

I don't understand the problem, if the skin is appearing exactly how you want it to appear then there is nothing wrong regardless of what others have said regarding patches.

RE: RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Vilkku on 01-05-2008 at 02:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
I don't understand the problem, if the skin is appearing exactly how you want it to appear then there is nothing wrong regardless of what others have said regarding patches.
What if he wants to release it?
RE: RE: RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Volv on 01-05-2008 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
What if he wants to release it?
If that's how he wants his skin to look then he has every right to release it as is... Unless ofcourse he has patched away adverts - which has not been mentioned at all.
RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by djdannyp on 01-05-2008 at 03:15 PM

yeah, but the point is that if he releases a skin with files from a patched messenger (A-Patch, MessPatch, etc) then it won't show up correctly for anyone who doesn't have that patch installed.

RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by NanaFreak on 01-05-2008 at 03:18 PM

yes they will... the patching programs edit the resources that you are editing... well they do it before you... so if you dont have the patch installed it will be exactly the same because you extract the resources that have been patched...
]
i hope i made sense there

RE: RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Volv on 01-05-2008 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
yeah, but the point is that if he releases a skin with files from a patched messenger (A-Patch, MessPatch, etc) then it won't show up correctly for anyone who doesn't have that patch installed.
Unless the patch is adding or replacing images (which pretty much doesn't happen with patches, and if it did it would only require the skin dev to add/replace the required images, not start again from scratch on an unpatched version) then it should work perfectly fine.

Yes, NanaFreak is right. What he's trying to say is that patches modify the resources which are then used in the development of the skin, so the changes made by the patches will be included in the skin too. It won't cause any problems, all users installing/applying the skin will see it exactly the same as the developer.
RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Basilis on 01-05-2008 at 03:24 PM

If the skin works properly on Windows Live Messenger 8.5 then you are free to release it.

RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Keikonium on 01-06-2008 at 05:20 AM

Woah, tons of replies, I will try and hit them all:

@SonicSam: That sounds like a good idea. I will try and do this, thank you :).

@Basilis: Didn't even think of the trace file >.<! I'll give that a look :).

@Volv: It does look how I want it to look. I have however, patched away the adverts, and do want to release it. Thats really the only reason I am going through the trouble of making it again WITH the adverts.

@djdannyp: I have tried my skin on the SAME messenger version on the same operating system without patches (mess patch in this case) and it didn't work, like you said.

@NanaFreak: That would make sense. I am extracting resources from edited resources (no different than a skin I thought?) but it doesn't seem to work for some reason :\.

@Basilis: I have gotten rid of the ads, but otherwise, yeah I know :).

So thank you all for your tips, and I will try to compare my files with brand new ones ^_^.

RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Volv on 01-06-2008 at 07:28 AM

You still do not need to start again from scratch just because the ads have been patched away, chances are it will just take a very minor change to your current file to bring them back.

RE: RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Keikonium on 01-06-2008 at 07:31 AM

quote:
You still do not need to start again from scratch just because the ads have been patched away, chances are it will just take a very minor change to your current file to bring them back.

That would be even better! I am currently going through the extracted resources with the program that SonicSam suggested to try and find the code that was removed to 'hide' the adverts... no luck just yet.
RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by Nagamasa on 01-06-2008 at 02:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
If the skin works properly on Windows Live Messenger 8.5 then you are free to release it.
Untrue. You could release for any version of Messenger that is compatible with Plus!.
RE: [Question] Made skin on a patched messenger... oops! by NanaFreak on 01-07-2008 at 01:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Keikonium
That would make sense. I am extracting resources from edited resources (no different than a skin I thought?) but it doesn't seem to work for some reason :\.
plus doesnt edit the file... it makes it do it in the memory ;)

so its not like that