Shoutbox

For those of you who are in the U.K. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: For those of you who are in the U.K. (/showthread.php?tid=80817)

For those of you who are in the U.K. by RebelSean on 01-09-2008 at 06:19 AM

I've been putting off this post for about a week now. I need your help (Those of you who live in the U.K.). In two months I have to have a 2,500 word research paper on any English (Not English the language, but the country) related topic. I've decided that I'll do a haunted castle, more so a very historic haunted castle.

Now, for the good stuff. I have to ask a specific question about my subject, in my case the castle. My question would be: Why is it a historic castle? I have to have the following:

• When the castle was built
  • Who, exactly, lived in the castle
  • Sources for people who've visited the castle
  • A few other things that I can find when I begin my research

I'm not asking you to do this research for me, but to help me start out by giving me some historic castle names in the U.K. :).

Thanks!
RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by aNILEator on 01-09-2008 at 09:50 AM

lookk them up on National Trust and English Heritage websites :) I don't think many are haunted though

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by Eljay on 01-09-2008 at 09:52 AM

Wikipedia knows all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castles_in_England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_haunted_locations#England

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by absorbation on 01-09-2008 at 11:36 AM

I once did a 20 page essay on Ludlow Castle, but it's not haunted. Warwick has a very interesting castle, but I have a lot of source related material on Ludlow and its full history.

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by RebelSean on 01-10-2008 at 03:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
I once did a 20 page essay on Ludlow Castle, but it's not haunted. Warwick has a very interesting castle, but I have a lot of source related material on Ludlow and its full history.

I'm curious, do you still have your research on Ludlow? I've gathered about 13 pages of information. I think I'm going to go with this :). Even though it's not haunted, but my english teacher can get over it :p.
RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by absorbation on 01-10-2008 at 05:31 PM

Yeh sure, this coursework got me an A* in my History GCSE and historically speaking it provides everything. The document is a little outdated for my taste (my writing style is rather basic) but it may as well have a better use. I can't believe it has been two years since I visited this place.

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by Spunky on 01-10-2008 at 06:50 PM

Alton Towers = Haunted Castle / Theme Park :D lol

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by RebelSean on 01-10-2008 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Yeh sure, this coursework got me an A* in my History GCSE and historically speaking it provides everything. The document is a little outdated for my taste (my writing style is rather basic) but it may as well have a better use. I can't believe it has been two years since I visited this place.

Looking through your report, I've noticed one thing :p, where is your source page? Thanks much, going to help cut down research a bit :).
RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by aNILEator on 01-10-2008 at 07:30 PM

Sean Where do you study and what's your lecturer's email?

* aNILEator types up plagiarism report email :P

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by RebelSean on 01-10-2008 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Sean Where do you study and what's your lecturer's email?

* aNILEator types up plagiarism report email :P

I'm by far not plagerising, simply taking information out of it :dodgy:.
RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by absorbation on 01-10-2008 at 08:36 PM

My sources, hum. There is a question of the importance of the sources, and that must provide an insight. However the pictures and a fair bit of the information is from the time I had to visit the site. The information pack on site provided information of the history and well as the castle's features. It is a published pack, and I do have a copy. I just can't find it at the moment ...

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by OCG on 01-11-2008 at 09:00 PM

lol chill, I think the plagiarism thing was more a joke than a harsh accusation!

Speaking of which, 2 students on my course a couple of years ago decided to hand in the exact same written paper for an assignment. Not having dealt with this before on the course, the course tutor decided to call them in to the office to talk about it. Obviously they were expecting some made up story about how they had no idea they were the same, or they didn't know what they were talking about...
No, they both just said, "Oh... well we both worked on it and contributed equally. Weren't we allowed to work as a group?" :rolleyes:

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by RebelSean on 01-14-2008 at 04:59 AM

quote:
My sources, hum. There is a question of the importance of the sources, and that must provide an insight. However the pictures and a fair bit of the information is from the time I had to visit the site. The information pack on site provided information of the history and well as the castle's features. It is a published pack, and I do have a copy. I just can't find it at the moment ...

Indeed, it's just if I take any information from your report, and use my BS degree, I'll need to source it :).
RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by aNILEator on 01-14-2008 at 07:44 AM

bullshit degree hehehehehe

RE: For those of you who are in the U.K. by RebelSean on 01-14-2008 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
bullshit degree hehehehehe

My professor says everyone has one, and those who write A+ papers are certified by her with one :dodgy:.