Shoutbox

Presidential Election 2008 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Presidential Election 2008 (/showthread.php?tid=80836)

Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-10-2008 at 03:08 AM

After looking over the poll results from the 2008 presidential elections, I'm curious to know why those of you who've voted, voted for that canidate.

I originally voted for Huckabee, but after a 7 hour debate today in Nashville with the other FBLA state officers (Future Business Leaders of America), I've changed my vote to Clinton. Looking through the facts about Obama's campaign, he's contridicted himself many times by opposing the war in Iraq, but yet voting to fun billions of dollars. His views on same-sex-marriage are of his faith, and not of actuall legislation. While on the contrary, Clinton has been very straight forward from the get-go 5 years ago. Her statement to America about same-sex-marriage is that it needs to be resolved on local levels rather than by the executive branches. And she wants to re-gain America's trust by the countries that no longer support us.

Time for your views :).

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 01-10-2008 at 03:09 AM

I can't vote, but Clinton ftw.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by prashker on 01-10-2008 at 05:17 AM

Communist > Democratic :D

Kidding, my friend told me it was though (although I disagree ;o)

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Dane on 01-10-2008 at 06:21 AM

My views are pretty obvious (Hint: look to the left).  Hillary Clinton is by far my candidate of choice, after performing extensive research on the Candidates, she seems to have the most views that I agree with, she doesnt contradict herself, and she's got some great ideas to bring about change and move our country forward.  Barack Obama is in my opinion a fake and is not worthy for my vote, I tend to agree more with Democrats, but if he got selected i'd likely vote Republican just because I disagree with his views so much.   Come February 5th, 2008, My votes with Hillary.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by aNILEator on 01-10-2008 at 07:07 PM

Doesn't Hilary Clinton want to ban video games though, and she won't be able to bring in a decent and logical health care system for you guys because of the agreements Bush signed (see Michael Moore's Sicko)

TBH just someone who's not going to fuck you guys over and really bugger up the rest of the world again.

I heard Ron Paul was a good guy by a fair few internet people :-/

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-10-2008 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Doesn't Hilary Clinton want to ban video games though, and she won't be able to bring in a decent and logical health care system for you guys because of the agreements Bush signed (see Michael Moore's Sicko)

TBH just someone who's not going to fuck you guys over and really bugger up the rest of the world again.

I heard Ron Paul was a good guy by a fair few internet people :-/

I don't recall Clinton stating she wanted a ban on video games, although I could be wrong. Tried searching for it, but it's not apart of her campaign :p. Bush has signed a lot of legislation, but it can be reversed with due course :).

Ron Paul wants to get rid of the IRS and federal reserve system :|. Needless to mention other things he wants to do :-/.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by MeEtc on 01-10-2008 at 08:22 PM

Stephen Colbert FTW! [Image: woot.gif]

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by absorbation on 01-10-2008 at 08:27 PM

Clinton is the only one settings out real polices at the moment, showing she is organized and voters know what they are voting for. I'm happy whoever wins, as long as they are not Republican!

Who's the one who sounds like Donald Duck?

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by ddunk on 01-10-2008 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean
I heard Ron Paul was a good guy by a fair few internet people (Smilie)
He's also against net neutrality, which I don't quite understand why, but he's definitely not getting my vote.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-11-2008 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ddunk
quote:
He's also against net neutrality, which I don't quite understand why, but he's definitely not getting my vote.

That quote didn't come from me :p.

A just read a nice bit of information on Obama:

quote:
Originally posted by E-mail Message Forward
Very interesting and something that should be considered in your choice.

If you do not ever forward anything else, please forward this to all your contacts...this is very scary to think of what lies ahead of us here in our own United States...better heed this and pray about it and share it. We checked this out on " snopes.com ". It is factual. Check for yourself.

Who is Barack Obama?

Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHEIST from Wichita, Kansas. Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia.?

When Obama was 6 years old, the family relocate to Indonesia. Obama attended a MUSLIM school in Jakarta. He also spent two years in a Catholic school. Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Muslim. He is quick to point out that, "He was once a Muslim, but that he also attended Catholic school."

Obama's political handlers are attempting to make it appear that he is not a radical. Obama's introduction to Islam came via his father, and that this influence was temporary at best. In reality, the senior Obama returned to Kenya soon after the divorce, and never again had any direct influence over his son's education.

Lolo Soetoro, the second husband of Obama's mother, Ann Dunham, introduced his stepson to Islam. Obama was enrolled in a Wahabi school in Jakarta. Wahabism is the RADICAL teaching that is followed by the Muslim terrorists who are now waging Jihad against the western world.

Since it is politically expedient to be a CHRISTIAN when seeking major public office in the United States, Barack Hussein Obama has joined the United Church of Christ in an attempt to downplay his Muslim background. ALSO, keep in mind that when he was sworn into office he DID NOT use the Holy Bible, but instead the Koran.

Barack Hussein Obama will NOT recite the Pledge of Allegiance nor will he show any reverence for our flag. While others place their hands over their hearts, Obama turns his back to the flag and slouches. Let us all remain alert concerning Obama's expected presidential candidacy.

The Muslims have said they plan on destroying the US from the inside out, what better way to start than at the highest level - through the President of the United States, one of their own!!!!

Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?...... NOT ME

:|
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 01-11-2008 at 02:25 AM

oh yeah, he's muslim, lets shoot him.... that's why i don't like the US

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-11-2008 at 02:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
oh yeah, he's muslim, lets shoot him.... that's why i don't like the US

You're adding nothing to this thread. I was simply stating facts, more specifically that he is lieing to the American people. I didn't mention anything about shooting muslims. :-/
RE: RE: Presidential Election 2008 by WDZ on 01-11-2008 at 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean: E-mail Message Forward
We checked this out on " snopes.com ". It is factual. Check for yourself.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

Who Is Barack Obama?

Claim: Illinois senator Barack Obama is a "radical Muslim" who "will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance."

[Image: orly.gif]

Do these email-forwarding idiots think nobody will actually check Snopes? :p
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by ddunk on 01-11-2008 at 02:58 AM

[Image: snopes.png]

Anyway, i just hope the college age voters actually get out and vote this year. Might be far fetched, but it'd be nice to actually get them to vote for once. :p

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by andrey on 01-11-2008 at 04:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Well some will fall for it, as sean just proved to us.
which is a pity because I'd definitely prefer Obama over Hillary, I don't think another Clinton would be any good for the US. Obama just doesn't seem to be the typical (power hungry) politician.. Hillary is just scary tbh :tongue:

* andrey runs.

Hmm. Actually, I'll do some more research on the candidates now...
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by NiteMare on 01-11-2008 at 04:29 AM

i vote for ralph wiggum!:P
http://www.wiggumforprez08.com/

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by prashker on 01-11-2008 at 04:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
i vote for ralph wiggum!:P
http://www.wiggumforprez08.com/

That was totally by far the 10th greatest Simpsons episode ever :D
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-11-2008 at 05:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean: E-mail Message Forward
We checked this out on " snopes.com ". It is factual. Check for yourself.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp

Who Is Barack Obama?

Claim: Illinois senator Barack Obama is a "radical Muslim" who "will not recite the Pledge of Allegiance."

[Image: orly.gif]

Well didn't actually check Snopes, was in a hurry to get off here. Dodgy weather. Thank goodness I didn't forward that :p.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by aNILEator on 01-11-2008 at 10:56 AM

President elections are really overblown compared to elections in other countries I think

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Menthix on 01-11-2008 at 12:20 PM

quote:
President elections are really overblown compared to elections in other countries I think
Agreed... I'm surprised USA elections aren't held in the form of a idols-like game show yet where people send their official vote by text message :(.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by SikStyles on 01-11-2008 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Agreed... I'm surprised USA elections aren't held in the form of a idols-like game show yet where people send their official vote by text message :(.

Exactly. We should make the candidates do stuff like how to act during an emergency and how to resist a hot secretary. Would be a wicked show.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by absorbation on 01-11-2008 at 02:49 PM

quote:
quote:

America affects everywhere in the world, and one President may favor a country compared to another. Remember a President's main power is in foreign affairs, home affairs are usually dealt by Congress. Remember when Bill Clinton attempted  a new health reform? Congress cut his budget to stop him.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 01-11-2008 at 05:34 PM

quote:
You're adding nothing to this thread. I was simply stating facts, more specifically that he is lieing to the American people. I didn't mention anything about shooting muslims.
Well, i think we can say the same about that forwarded email, you assumed some anonymous email is true, which doesn't offer any kind of proof, and posted it here? that doesn't add anything USEFUL to the thread, it's FALSE...
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by aNILEator on 01-11-2008 at 05:40 PM

It's all corrupted anyway, companies should not be allowed to buy into or directly influence the law, by whatever means. I'm thinking the big ones here, Fast Food, Health Care etc)

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by absorbation on 01-11-2008 at 06:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
You're adding nothing to this thread. I was simply stating facts, more specifically that he is lieing to the American people. I didn't mention anything about shooting muslims.
Well, i think we can say the same about that forwarded email, you assumed some anonymous email is true, which doesn't offer any kind of proof, and posted it here? that doesn't add anything USEFUL to the thread, it's FALSE...

Nothing is useless. I see it as showing an opinion of a small population of Americas and the prejudice attitudes towards Muslims :P.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by matty on 01-11-2008 at 06:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
My views are pretty obvious (Hint: look to the left).  Hillary Clinton is by far my candidate of choice, after performing extensive research on the Candidates, she seems to have the most views that I agree with, she doesnt contradict herself, and she's got some great ideas to bring about change and move our country forward.  Barack Obama is in my opinion a fake and is not worthy for my vote, I tend to agree more with Democrats, but if he got selected i'd likely vote Republican just because I disagree with his views so much.   Come February 5th, 2008, My votes with Hillary.
American's keep making the same mistakes... first they re-elect a Bush... now a woman is running... can your economy really withstand that lol

Hillary and George have 2 things in common... they both got bush and will both fail.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by ZrednaZ on 01-11-2008 at 06:52 PM

quote:
After looking over the poll results from the 2008 presidential elections, I'm curious to know why those of you who've voted, voted for that canidate.

I originally voted for Huckabee, but after a 7 hour debate today in Nashville with the other FBLA state officers (Future Business Leaders of America), I've changed my vote to Clinton. Looking through the facts about Obama's campaign, he's contridicted himself many times by opposing the war in Iraq, but yet voting to fun billions of dollars. His views on same-sex-marriage are of his faith, and not of actuall legislation.
I don't think that voting against going to war and subsequently voting to fund a war in progress contradicting. Not doing so would be like not accepting the facts of reality: the US has started a war and should be obligated to finish is properly.
My country, Denmark, started the war along with the United States and the UK, yet it has withdrawn from it very recently. I don't know who we think we are - forcing someone else to clean up a mess we helped create. 8-)

omg, Obama's against gay marriage? That's so silly - he just lost my respect. ;)

I'm voting for the Democrats (preferably Hillary) although I know, as a Texan voter, it will be a complete waste of my time because of the stupid Electoral College system. :(
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by calilo on 01-16-2008 at 01:21 AM

This year, is most highly going to be .. a history breaking year.

First and second place in runnings and standings right now is obama, an african american...(could be wrong?)

and hillary clinton, a white.. haha.. female.

If there are more female activists.. and females in general voting this year, hillary is probably going to take it...

then again... everyone does really want a man in office, not being sexist, because im against that, but its a mans job. there are some jobs in the world that just arent meant for a woman. Yes, we can do just about any job a man can do, but c'mon...

idk. i think this election is going to be a really weird one. im not votin this year. blah blah blah.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-17-2008 at 05:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty

American's keep making the same mistakes... first they re-elect a Bush... now a woman is running... can your economy really withstand that lol

Hillary and George have 2 things in common... they both got bush and will both fail.

Actually I think Hillary would be the best democractic nominee for president, especially when it comes to the economy. I personally think she would do wonders to bring our economy back up and get us out of this recession.

And just curious, why couldn't a women run America? I don't believe it's simply a "mans" job. Looking at present and past situations with our presidents, I think it's safe to say it'll be better to have a women as our president because A) War is not the first solution B) They have a reputable open mind.

quote:
Originally posted by ZrednaZ

I don't think that voting against going to war and subsequently voting to fund a war in progress contradicting. Not doing so would be like not accepting the facts of reality: the US has started a war and should be obligated to finish is properly.
My country, Denmark, started the war along with the United States and the UK, yet it has withdrawn from it very recently. I don't know who we think we are - forcing someone else to clean up a mess we helped create. 8-)

omg, Obama's against gay marriage? That's so silly - he just lost my respect. ;)

I'm voting for the Democrats (preferably Hillary) although I know, as a Texan voter, it will be a complete waste of my time because of the stupid Electoral College system. :(

I however, do find it contradicting because Obama made a public statement stating he will not vote to go to war, and publicly stated he will not fund the war. Then going on and voting to fund it, then not to fund it, and then to fund it? Come on now, what would he do in a real situation if he were president? To declair war with North Korea, and then to cancel it two days later? America would be doomed, more so than it already is at current state.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by azn angel on 01-17-2008 at 11:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by calilo
then again... everyone does really want a man in office, not being sexist, because im against that, but its a mans job. there are some jobs in the world that just arent meant for a woman. Yes, we can do just about any job a man can do, but c'mon...
err you're just wrong.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Volv on 01-17-2008 at 11:26 AM

quote:
I think it's safe to say it'll be better to have a women as our president because A) War is not the first solution
There'll be a war on a monthly basis, at that time of the month :P
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by azn angel on 01-17-2008 at 11:41 AM

yes, but only on men.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by andrey on 01-17-2008 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Actually I think Hillary would be the best democractic nominee for president, especially when it comes to the economy. I personally think she would do wonders to bring our economy back up and get us out of this recession.
To expect that any politician would "do wonders" once he/she is elected is pretty naive IMO.

quote:
I however, do find it contradicting because Obama made a public statement stating he will not vote to go to war, and publicly stated he will not fund the war. Then going on and voting to fund it, then not to fund it, and then to fund it?
From what I have read, Obama was against the war from the beginning, nothing contradictory.

Comparison of Clinton / Obama position on the Iraq war:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/...obama_on_iraq.html
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Omar on 01-17-2008 at 03:43 PM

He has my vote.... him or the black guy.

[Image: walkenposterxj7.jpg]

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Tochjo on 01-17-2008 at 08:09 PM

There exists a Dutch site called StemwijzerUSA ('VoteGuideUSA') where you are shown 25 phrases to which you can click 'Agreed', 'Disagreed' or 'Don't know'. Based on those choices the site will show you which candidate matches you best. It also shows what the various candidates would answer to a phrase.

Based on that test I would vote for John Edwards, although Hillary Clinton would be a good second.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 01-17-2008 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
There exists a Dutch site called StemwijzerUSA ('VoteGuideUSA') where you are shown 25 phrases to which you can click 'Agreed', 'Disagreed' or 'Don't know'. Based on those choices the site will show you which candidate matches you best. It also shows what the various candidates would answer to a phrase.

Based on that test I would vote for John Edwards, although Hillary Clinton would be a good second.

Just took the quiz myself, and I agree mostly with Hillary and Thompson :p.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Menthix on 01-17-2008 at 08:32 PM

quote:
Same, Obama is very close to Hillary too, but Clinton seems to agree on subjects i find more important.

quote:
Linkage
http://www.eenvandaag.nl/stemwijzerusa/en/ even in english :).
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Zahid™ on 01-17-2008 at 08:32 PM

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Stemwijzer...oogle+Search&meta=

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by ddunk on 01-17-2008 at 09:52 PM

Hillary is speaking at my school tonight. I'm gonna try my hardest to get in. :D:D:D

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 01-17-2008 at 11:51 PM

ask her some tough question :P

i did the test, and i got barack obamah and Hillary with the same score

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Menthix on 01-18-2008 at 12:00 AM

Don't get tased.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by blackjack on 01-18-2008 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty

American's keep making the same mistakes...

offtopic:
Why people say American?
America/s is not a country at all, its a whole continent
i know it referrs to the US.. but thats just wrong..

Anyway.. i dont really know any candidate.. But as i see clinton is one of the best choices 8-)

:blah!:
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by *Saint* on 01-18-2008 at 12:53 AM

These are my results from that test is Hilary then a 4-way time between Guliani, Huckabee, Obama and Thompson.

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
http://www.electoralcompass.com > that :p
[Image: d46njy8p-Untitled.jpg]
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Omar on 01-18-2008 at 03:43 AM

quote:
me too.... Im a democrat anyway :p
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by prashker on 01-18-2008 at 04:15 AM

You provided insufficient valid answers to the VoteMatch statements. A reliable recommendation cannot be given.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by John Anderton on 01-18-2008 at 11:05 AM

[Image: Presidential%20Election%202008%20-%20JAs%20result.PNG]

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Sunshine on 01-18-2008 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Done the test too, same outcome :)
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by ddunk on 01-18-2008 at 05:28 PM

That test thingy doesn't even list all the candidates. That sucks. :( The good ones aren't there. :(

Anyway, here's pictures of Hillary at my school. :D
each word is a link to a picture. :p

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Joe on 01-18-2008 at 05:37 PM

I got a tie among Clinton, Obama, and Ron Paul...

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by ayjay on 01-18-2008 at 06:27 PM

http://www.electoralcompass.com > that :p

[Image: attachment.php?pid=882602]

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Menthix on 01-19-2008 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ayjay
http://www.electoralcompass.com > that
Heh, that's from a Dutch organization too. Doesn't USA have their own sites comparable to these? And not biased ones funded by candidates please :p.

EDIT: http://www.electoralcompass.com Gives me a top 3 of 1: Obama, 2: Edwards, 3: Clinton. StemwijzerUSA was: 1: Edwards, 2: Clinton, 3: Obama.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Tochjo on 01-19-2008 at 12:00 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=882707]

Confirms the result of the previous test.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 02-06-2008 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RebelSean, via Neowin - The Results of Super Tuesday
Yesterday marked one of the biggest days of the political elections of 2008, Super Tuesday. Twenty-four states held their presidential primaries or caucuses, and the results, in my honest opinion are amazing. There has been quite a few extremely close races between the top-runners for each party. Here's a mini analysis of what has happened yesterday, for the democrats there are 1681 delegates at stake, and for republicans there are 1020 delegates at stake.

Barrack Obama has won Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, and Utah

Hillary Clinton has won Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee

New Mexico is the only state left to have a projected winner, but I feel that Clinton can make a come back. She's only down a little over a thousand. Even though Obama has won many states, Clinton is still in the lead with the most delegates. Clinton has 811 pledged delegates, and Obama has 639.

The race for the democratic nomination is going to be very tough within the coming months. The District of Columbia, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin all have yet to hold their primaries and caucuses. Those are going to be the key states that will decide if Obama or Clinton will be the democratic nominee.

I personally would love for Clinton to win the nomination, not only that she's a stronger candidate to run against the republican leader, McCain. Obama doesn't have a chance against McCain, IMHO.

I'm very proud of Clinton :).
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 02-22-2008 at 06:55 PM

I know this is double posting, but I'm sure it'll be allowed. I found this video while doing research on what Senator Obama has accomplished in the senate. And to be honest, I think this video tells a lot about Senator Obama. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeu_4Ekx-o

Thoughts welcome :).

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Chrono on 02-22-2008 at 06:59 PM

quote:
TBH just someone who's not going to fuck you guys over and really bugger up the rest of the world again
lol that's impossible :P
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by andrey on 02-22-2008 at 07:16 PM

quote:
I know this is double posting, but I'm sure it'll be allowed. I found this video while doing research on what Senator Obama has accomplished in the senate. And to be honest, I think this video tells a lot about Senator Obama. Check it out:

8-)

Seriously, that post is almost as sad as the one about the chain-letter..
This guy wasn't prepared to answer a question he obviously didn't expect, but how does this tell a lot about Barack Obama?

You should do more research, and perhaps start here: Kirk Watson's reaction to this on his blog
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 02-22-2008 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
quote:

8-)

This guy wasn't prepared to answer a question he obviously didn't expect, but how does this tell a lot about Barack Obama?

You should do more research, and perhaps start here: Kirk Watson's reaction to this on his blog

My point being that if you support a canidate, and endorse them, yet can't name an accomplishment on national television, why are you supporting that canidate? I've never seen anyone that couldn't name at least one thing that a canidate has done. More to my point is that voters don't take a hard look at the facts before they vote. That base their vote on what they've heard, and to me that's heartbreaking because our country is falling now more than ever, and we need a president that has the experience.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Menthix on 02-22-2008 at 07:49 PM

So it says something about that guy being interviewed, not Obama.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 02-22-2008 at 08:57 PM

quote:
So it says something about that guy being interviewed, not Obama.
i agree, and i didn't like clinton using it against him. low blow.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by vaccination on 02-22-2008 at 09:00 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

8-)

My point being that if you support a canidate, and endorse them, yet can't name an accomplishment on national television, why are you supporting that canidate? I've never seen anyone that couldn't name at least one thing that a canidate has done. More to my point is that voters don't take a hard look at the facts before they vote. That base their vote on what they've heard, and to me that's heartbreaking because our country is falling now more than ever, and we need a president that has the experience.
Clinton's never been president and so has no experience?

Secondly, what has Clinton ever done?

Thirdly, the whole point of the election is for people to vote on a candidate from what the candidate says they will do for them. How is the election not supposed to be won by what has been heard? That's pretty fucked up 8-)
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by absorbation on 02-22-2008 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination

Believe me, she had influence when her husband was President.

In the UK the ideologies of a political party must be outlined in their manifesto and upon being electing into power they must fulfill their mandate. Upon research it can be difficult to find out what changes in legislation the new president will bring about, which makes it difficult for me to side with one candidate.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by vaccination on 02-22-2008 at 09:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Believe me, she had influence when her husband was President.
That doesn't mean anything though 8-)
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 02-22-2008 at 09:29 PM

she is/was a senator?

and so was obamah, iirc.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by absorbation on 02-22-2008 at 09:46 PM

Hilary was the women behind Bill in many forms, she basically ran as President by having a huge influence over her husband's polices. If you want to see what Hilary will do for America, look at America when Bill had power :).

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Rolando on 02-23-2008 at 12:42 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ddunk
quote:

That quote didn't come from me :p.

A just read a nice bit of information on Obama:

quote:
Originally posted by E-mail Message Forward
Very interesting and something that should be considered in your choice.

Who is Barack Obama?

Probable U. S. presidential candidate, Barack Hussein Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, to Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., a black MUSLIM from Nyangoma-Kogel, Kenya and Ann Dunham, a white ATHEIST from Wichita, Kansas. Obama's parents met at the University of Hawaii. When Obama was two years old, his parents divorced. His father returned to Kenya. His mother then married Lolo Soetoro, a RADICAL Muslim from Indonesia.?

Please forward to everyone you know. Would you want this man leading our country?...... NOT ME

:|

Nice how they use his full name to associate him with Saddam Hussein. That's pretty stupid, and a bunch of crap if you ask me (Not saying that it's a bunch of lies, but it's just written to make him seem like something he's not)

Hillary is pretty dumb and has contradicted herself a lot (Saying "I have no responsability for what my husband did in office, and do not associate me with him [as a president]" and at other times saying that she has a lot of experience because of her husband. Make up your mind, either you want us to judge you for what your husband did or not. Plus she's always playing dirty tricks (Like when talking about Obama plagiarizing part of the speech, when he's a good friend of the governor that issued it first and had his consent.. ).. etc.

Obama ftw
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 02-23-2008 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
quote:
quote:

8-)

Thirdly, the whole point of the election is for people to vote on a candidate from what the candidate says they will do for them. How is the election not supposed to be won by what has been heard? That's pretty fucked up 8-)

You're right, Clinton has never been president, but she's been in the White House and in this country's political proccess for 35 years, compaired to Obama's first term as a senator. To me, that's not enough to get my vote. I will never vote based on what a canidate says they will do, anyone can say they can do so much for America, but it will take someone very strong to bring those changes. I belive it will take someone who is able to unite the parties, so we can get those solutions in place. I don't believe that we should have a president who will need to be on training wheels during their first years as president. America is already in extreme economic trouble, and our deficit is rising. I have a great deal of respect for Senator Obama, but I just don't think he's what America needs right now.

As far as what Senator Clinton has done, I'll simply leave you with the choice to read this very in depth article on the thing's she's done in the senate: http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Hillary_Clinton.htm
I'll try to find a nice page that lists everything else Hillary has accomplished.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Voldemort on 02-23-2008 at 03:25 PM

I don't trust rebelsean's links.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Tasha on 02-23-2008 at 03:59 PM

quote:

As far as what Senator Clinton has done, I'll simply leave you with the choice to read this very in depth article on the thing's she's done in the senate: http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Hillary_Clinton.htm

Sorry, I think in your pro-Clinton-ness, you forgot to also post a list of things that Obama has done in the senate:
http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Barack_Obama.htm.

Just because Clinton has been in the White House does not mean she will make a better President than Obama will. Does the tea lady who has worked in the White House for 50 years have more experience at being President than Obama does, just because she's been in the White House?
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 02-24-2008 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
quote:

Sorry, I think in your pro-Clinton-ness, you forgot to also post a list of things that Obama has done in the senate:
http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Barack_Obama.htm.

Just because Clinton has been in the White House does not mean she will make a better President than Obama will. Does the tea lady who has worked in the White House for 50 years have more experience at being President than Obama does, just because she's been in the White House?

Actually I did not post a list of Senator Obama's accomplishments because that was not the question asked :p. It had nothing to do because I'm a Clinton supporter.

I did not say that simply because Senator Clinton has been in the White House will make her a better president than Senator Obama would. You missed the part where I said that her 35 years of being a part of the government would. And it's not that either, there's are many reasons why I think that Senator Clinton would make a better president than Senator Obama would.  I have a great deal of respect for Senator Obama don't get me wrong. I just simply don't believe that he's ready, and that's my own opinion. I don't think that he can unite the country, and take on the repercussions that Bush is leaving us with.

I firmly believe a statement that Senator Clinton made a few months ago:

"It took a Clinton to clean up after the first Bush, and now it's going to take another Clinton to clean up after the current Bush".
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Svip on 02-24-2008 at 04:13 PM

:( Why isn't Al Gore running?  I want him to win!

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by andrey on 02-24-2008 at 10:47 PM

I think this video tells a lot about Hillary Clinton. Check it out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/24/hillary-...s-bar_n_88194.html

Thoughts welcome :p.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Dane on 02-24-2008 at 11:41 PM

quote:

I respect her more for that.  She's completely right.  Everyone is so caught up in Obama because he promises "change" yet the policies he proposes leave millions in the dark.  Not to mention his campeign has a larger backing of younger voters...my most recent example is the Obama Campaign bought Pizza for every day of the week a few weeks ago for our local community college and within about a snap of a finger the student populations vote went from Majority Clinton to Majority Obama.  They arent even deciding on the issues.

The truth is, Obama cant provide all the changes he is promising.  He is making empty promises to the American people and they're lapping it up like its whipped cream.

I will continue to support Hillary Clinton for President because at least she can provide a realistic outlook on her policies/priorities.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by Pr0xY on 02-25-2008 at 01:07 AM

quote:
Ron Paul wants to get rid of the IRS and federal reserve system . Needless to mention other things he wants to do .
The founding fathers of the United States did not want any type of central banking institution in our country. It's one of the main reasons people started the revolutionary war & fled Britain for the United States. Gotta love Woodrow Wilson.

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Clinton is the only one settings out real polices at the moment, showing she is organized and voters know what they are voting for. I'm happy whoever wins, as long as they are not Republican!
Her tactics are questionable, fighting dirty towards Obama. Says something about her character and how she 'might' run our country if she was to win... BUT, the other question is.. wtf is Bill doing!? In my personal opinion, the Clinton campaign is questionably more of a duel Presidency campaign (Bill & Hilary), then just Hilary.

quote:
It basically is in a nut-shell. Only difference from the US's Elections & American Idol is... In American Idol, the people's vote counts.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by RebelSean on 02-25-2008 at 05:00 AM

quote:
I think this video tells a lot about Hillary Clinton. Check it out:

Thoughts welcome :p.

And she's exactly right; Senator Obama's entire campaign is based on hope and change. But without the ability to bring about the change, it's all a misconception. America's current state is not something that you can hope to fix, and it's not something that you can fix through policies, not even to mention the fundamental flaws in his policies that, as already stated, will leave out millions of Americans. We've been dominated to republicans for years now, and Senator Obama is simply not going to be able to unify Washington.

Senator Clinton has been able to, on many occasions, bring together republicans and democrats to pass very important policies. I'm not sure if Senator Obama has and I'm certain that he won't be able to as president because his policies leave out millions.
RE: Presidential Election 2008 by andrey on 04-02-2008 at 02:46 PM

Okay, things have developed quite a bit since February and I think we should bring this thread back up.

My opinion is that Clinton won't be the Democratic candidate for the 2008 U.S. presidential election and she should accept it. There is (almost) no way she can possibly win at this point.

Obama's performance in the last weeks was better than Clinton's, while she messed up with her Bosnia sniper fire 'misspeaking', her involvement in NAFTA and her role in the peace process in northern Ireland.

And, personally, I don't understand what's wrong with a candidate who tries (and seems to succeed in) giving hope to the people, and I think it's quite obvious that it's not just hot air like Clinton tried to portray it as in the video I linked in my last post. (Just look at Obama's "A More Perfect Union" speech, for example)

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by absorbation on 04-02-2008 at 03:18 PM

The House of Representatives still holds sovereignty remember; the President cannot always pass legislation without their support, so it's not always about the president, but the party the president represents. The problem is the Republicans are seen as incompetent and full of sleaze. This means a democratic president is the way forward. But would people rather have a black president or a republican? America still has its racist roots and it could be seen as a risk to have Obama as the Democratic candidates if it will lose votes.

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by GiantSpider on 04-02-2008 at 05:26 PM

Winning election isn't about providing change, its about compromise. It's about vague promises, its about populism. It isn't about policies its about personalities.

I know it should be the other way round, but it isn't, the majority of your population will vote for whoever they have traditionally voted for, or whoever promises them the best deal.

Our two country's hold very much the same recent political histories which prove this. In the 90s we both had countries tarnished by the neo-liberalism of Regan and Thatcher. So along come Blair and Clinton with their third way, providing style rather than substance, and a compromise between neo-liberalism and social democracy. The "Radical Centre" has been adopted for 10 years. Now along comes Cameron and along will come Obama, who both will try to provide a compromise between the third way and neo-liberalism.

None of the candidates actually stand for much other than "Change", because people are sick of those in charge. But if they were to say how they want to change things, they will alienate voters, which is a no no.

Personally I would still vote for Obama anyway, for two reasons, if Clinton wins no one other than a Bush or a Clinton will have been in the White House since 1989, that in a country with limited terms? Sounds more like a monarchy to me. Not that you even directly elect your president.....

RE: Presidential Election 2008 by aNILEator on 04-02-2008 at 06:21 PM

seriously can this shit just end already, it's driving me insane and I'm in England, must be terrible in the US for all the fucking advertisements and news must be hell!