Shoutbox

All in one protection - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: All in one protection (/showthread.php?tid=80871)

All in one protection by Jimbo on 01-11-2008 at 08:23 PM

Well, i wanna "buy" some anti-virus, anti spyware etc software. im not sure what to get, ive heard norton, and mcafee are good, are there any other better ones?

RE: All in one protection by Baggins on 01-11-2008 at 08:25 PM

nod32, but the new activation system makes it hard to "buy"

RE: All in one protection by roflmao456 on 01-11-2008 at 08:41 PM

are we talking about illegal stuff here? :rolleyes:

i have (bought) mcafee and it's working good for me. (user-friendly?)

RE: All in one protection by SikStyles on 01-11-2008 at 09:22 PM

Don't get norton! I say get Nod32.

RE: All in one protection by Oxy on 01-11-2008 at 09:31 PM

Nod32 has to be the best paid software i've used in a while..
But free antivirus does the job just as well.

RE: All in one protection by Shippo on 01-11-2008 at 09:35 PM

Norton sucks, however, Symantec Anti-Virus is pretty good to pay for. I haven't had any real problems with it on my XP machine (XP will be on my laptop by the time I force Vista out of it) since I can't stand Norton Internet Security.

I personally don't recommend all-in-one softwares that much, but eh.. I do use Ad-Aware (the free one works just fine) and Windows Defender (for the time being until I can find something better to manage) for spyware.

RE: All in one protection by Dane on 01-11-2008 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456

i have (bought) mcafee and it's working good for me. (user-friendly?)

I have got to say by far that McAfee is pretty sucky.  If you havent done your weekly scan, it shows "Attention", but it changes security status to good as soon as you Start a system scan (so, technically, you could scan one file and cancel and you'd suddenly be "Good").  It's also got REALLY SLOW definition response times, they used to be good but now they're slow.

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
Don't get norton! I say get Nod32.
Everyone picks NOD32 cause it had the highest detection rates for a while, but the truth is Norton and McAfee have now almost exact detection rates as NOD32.  Symantecs Award Winning Norton AntiVirus 2008 has recently also received the VB100 award.  It is also rated to be 64% FASTER than the competition, and 84% faster than Norton AntiVirus 2007.  It now has a little memory footprint compared to the days when everyone hated it for using a ton of memory, unfortunately everyone who bashes it usually hasnt tried the newer versions.  Norton products now come with a 60 day Money Back Guarantee, that is, if it isnt as fast as you'd like it to be, return it and get your money back.  I personally use Norton Internet Security 2008 and I love it, and their response times to new viruses are wonderful.  You can check out Norton AntiVirus 2008 here.  For the All-in-One Norton Internet Security 2008, click here.
RE: All in one protection by Voldemort on 01-11-2008 at 09:38 PM

TrendMicro was decent the last time i had an antivirus.

RE: All in one protection by Chris4 on 01-12-2008 at 06:40 AM

Kaspersky Internet Security is what I use. It's meant to be the best protection at the moment and I agree with that. I'd recommend it to you.

Reviews:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2162401,00.asp
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=1008

RE: All in one protection by prashker on 01-12-2008 at 06:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
nod32, but the new activation system makes it hard to "buy"

You just fail :p. I have 2 sites with up to date login informations :p

Infact set Nod32 to Update from http://nod32.nohack.cn/, If it allows updating from other places, use it!
RE: All in one protection by Voldemort on 01-12-2008 at 07:17 AM

Actually, i reinstalled windows and trendmicro today, and it has been decent so far...

RE: All in one protection by andrey on 01-12-2008 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
http://nod32.nohack.cn/
fails, says it's up to date although it isn't :sad:
RE: All in one protection by kao on 01-12-2008 at 06:44 PM

Dane is like a big nerdy Norton advert ;o

RE: All in one protection by Mike on 01-12-2008 at 11:44 PM

NOD32 Smart Security here says that I have 15000 evaluation days left (A)

RE: All in one protection by vikke on 01-13-2008 at 12:26 AM

Too bad some of you guys haven't payed for your anti-virus. These companies are working very very hard, looking up almost every new virus, and adding it to the database. It's not fair for them.
I know that it's out of my business, but at least you shouldn't recommend it to others.
On the question: I would say any decent anti-virus is enough. I've used NOD32 for a while lately, and I find it a lot faster and less annoying than other (yellow-windowed) anti-viruses.

RE: All in one protection by High Speed Chaser on 01-13-2008 at 04:12 AM

I agree with Voldemort. I have used Trend Micro Pc-Cillin and I like it.

RE: RE: All in one protection by Jesus on 01-13-2008 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Huge Norton advertisement-like post
Nah I was at a friends house recently and they have NIS 2008.
However, I find an entire toolbar in IE, just to show that NIS is enabled, just bloat.
I want my AV to only show me anything when there's something wrong (except for the tray icon maybe, but Norton's is 3-4 times as big as a regular one).

Now I didn't dive into it, so perhaps those things I noticed in the 5mins I was at the PC can be disabled, but the fact that it's an (apparently default (those people don't know too much about computers)) option, is enough for me not to choose NIS.
RE: All in one protection by calilo on 01-16-2008 at 03:40 AM

symantec. I was a computer tech for 4 1/2 years during highschool. its the best way to go dude. I got it for the whole entire school system and they havent had a bug problem since.