Shoutbox

I got my laptop but... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: I got my laptop but... (/showthread.php?tid=80882)

I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-12-2008 at 01:40 PM

I will never be buying an acer again, it has been the most fault-full (is that a word :P) laptop i have ever had, i sent it back and with a list of problems, and it comes back with only 1 or 2 of those problems fixed.

Not only that, it takes them just over 2 months to do it.

I want a alienware :(

RE: I got my laptop but... by Thor on 01-12-2008 at 02:08 PM

I have one thing to say.

[Image: getblog.gif]

On the other hand, next time, wait some time and think more through it before you buy something. ;)
RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-12-2008 at 02:10 PM

I did think about it, but at the time i didnt know about alienware, and this was a very good laptop at the time for its price and specs!

RE: I got my laptop but... by SikStyles on 01-12-2008 at 02:19 PM

What kind of flaws?

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-12-2008 at 02:21 PM

Every kind of flaw you could think of:

webcam temporental

keyboard very breakable

screen

hardrive

motherboard

etc..

RE: I got my laptop but... by saralk on 01-12-2008 at 02:31 PM

In my experience, if the specs are really good for the price, it means they're skimping on the other parts.

Computer shops like PC World do this all the time, they have laptops with amazing features like a huge hard drive, a massive screen, a fast processor and loads of RAM. For a really low price.

But the only reason they can get it so cheap is because they know that most of the people who buy laptops from them aren't going to do much research, and they aren't going to notice that everything else is crap.

The RAM will be slow, the build quality will be really poor, the screen will have bad specs (contrast ratio, colour depth etc..), and all the parts will be really bad, like the wireless adapter.

But because people like to be able to easily "score" things for comparison, they ignore this stuff.

Cameras are probably the best example, after about 3 megapixels, for most people, any difference will be lost, yet people by cameras soley based on how many megapixels they have.

RE: I got my laptop but... by absorbation on 01-12-2008 at 02:33 PM

My next computer will be a Macbook. Yesterday Vista updated itself and shut down without notifying me and I lost my work ...

Plus with a Mac the hardware is designed for the operating system, so no driver problems :grin:

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-12-2008 at 02:35 PM

lol,
The computer is really fast and i love it, its just the build quality.

To be honhest it wasn't that cheap (£1300) and it has good parts and all of that shiz, it just can't handle everyday wear and tear (im at school)

RE: I got my laptop but... by aNILEator on 01-12-2008 at 03:43 PM

Hey ross, I love my new macbook they're great vista booters too if you use bootcamp :D

There are still a few problems with Leopard and I personally think that the trackpad in Vista is a bit weird needs more tweaking of the driver to allow for customization of taps like in OS X and also tracking position it kept wiggling about like it was a little too sensitive and didn't know where it should be pointing on the screen.

but the mac side of it no problem, lovely bright screen and pretty good battery life. it looses about 6% if you leave it on sleep overnight :) and the webcam isight IS AMAZING! and you know how picky I am about video and webcams :P also the built in stereo microphones are real good too

RE: I got my laptop but... by Voldemort on 01-12-2008 at 05:54 PM

I'm buying a macbook in around two months, top, seeing as this one is shit.

RE: I got my laptop but... by kao on 01-12-2008 at 06:42 PM

Serves you right, you needed a mac.

<3 my MacBook Pro.

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-12-2008 at 07:04 PM

I had a macbook for about a month and i didnt like it, i just didnt :(

I want an alienware and my next laptop will be that I hope :P

RE: I got my laptop but... by Dane on 01-12-2008 at 09:10 PM

For the kind of money you spent on that laptop (About $2500USD), You should've bought a brand of computer that doesnt suck.  I got my notebook for $515 marked down from $700 cause it was a burst SKU (as in, they made only enough for one week's worth and advertised it).  Its awesome quality though.

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-12-2008 at 09:28 PM

Yeah, i regret it now,
I hadn't heard of acer before, i looked up reviews, and people raved about it, it was all good I thought

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nagamasa on 01-12-2008 at 09:44 PM

I use my Acer laptop: Aspire 5630-6992.

My rear USBs are dead. They don't say they use 2 512MBs (although I could've guessed.) But I like the OrbiCam.

RE: I got my laptop but... by aNILEator on 01-13-2008 at 01:43 AM

ha ha orbicam, orb used to be my nicknsme/tag/alias FACT

RE: I got my laptop but... by prashker on 01-13-2008 at 01:44 AM

I got a 22" Widescreen Acer monitor and I got no problems :P

RE: I got my laptop but... by segosa on 01-13-2008 at 03:29 AM

What model was it?

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-13-2008 at 10:14 AM

It's an acer 5672wlmi - the 2GB version, i've had it for about 1 year and 4 months.

RE: I got my laptop but... by kezz on 01-14-2008 at 02:16 AM

Are macbooks any good for gaming? (if vista/xp is bootcamp-ed)

RE: I got my laptop but... by aNILEator on 01-14-2008 at 07:48 AM

graphics card is a vista base of 3.5 so any games under that should be fine

RE: I got my laptop but... by kezz on 01-14-2008 at 09:33 AM

How would anything Source go (cs, half-life etc.)???

RE: I got my laptop but... by aNILEator on 01-14-2008 at 10:23 AM

yeah they'll work fine, but you'll probably want another mouse and shit, trackpad ain't good for anyone gamer :P

RE: I got my laptop but... by kezz on 01-14-2008 at 10:26 AM

Thanks, cos i'm seriously considering getting one for my birthday, OS X leopard looks great and they are advertised as very reliable. Does anyone have anything bad to spill on macbooks or apple in general?

RE: I got my laptop but... by aNILEator on 01-14-2008 at 10:41 AM

All OS' are shit, all big companies have major flaws.

I personally don't like a lot of apple's advertisements messages (Not that I don't like their adverts (hard to explain :S)) and they are too damn secretive/restrictive on a lot of information, including support.

Leopard still has some networking bugs etc but apart from that my experience has been good :) and I really think bootcamp is cool :P

I love my new macbook, they'll be releasing some new ones next week apparently, the MacBook Air made of aluminum and really light or something

RE: I got my laptop but... by kezz on 01-15-2008 at 04:41 AM

I'll have to do some reading then. apple.com/google/ebay

Bootcamp really does look well engineered, it is handy that Apple have realised that the majority of people want to use multiple OS's and have put together something to enable people to do that.

RE: I got my laptop but... by Nathan on 01-15-2008 at 08:31 AM

Wtf is with all of this offtopicness?

Why don't you just go and make another thread? :P