Shoutbox

Need help with creating!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Forum: Skin Requests (/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+------ Thread: Need help with creating!!! (/showthread.php?tid=80990)

Need help with creating!!! by jonesy123 on 01-16-2008 at 07:36 PM

please can someone help, i have tried and tried to create a man united skin and i failed every time.
I was wondering if anyone out there would make one for me with the man united emblem(logo) in the contact list background.

P.S. Thanks:D

RE: Need help with creating!!! by Basilis on 01-16-2008 at 08:26 PM

There is a script that changes the contact list background and also a thread that tells how this can be done. I suggest you read the skinning documentation or willz's guide and try doing it on your own.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by jonesy123 on 01-16-2008 at 08:34 PM

seriously i have tried about 5 times and it went wrong each time i just need someone to make if they have spare time.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by djdannyp on 01-16-2008 at 09:24 PM

Skinning is a trial and error process

If anyone here (even Willz :P) claims that they got everything right first time then they're lying.

It takes numerous mistakes, mess-ups, even breaking entire windows before you get the desired effect.

Read through the skinning documentation and maybe download a skin made by someone else that changes the contact list background (such as my SexySkin) and see how we changed the contact list background

If you understand the basics of XML and can read through code properly then it's a very straightforward thing to do.

It's the trial and error that makes it all worthwhile when you get it working.  Sure you could just get someone else to do it.....but where's the satisfaction in that?

RE: Need help with creating!!! by Basilis on 01-16-2008 at 09:55 PM

djdannyp is right. It is definitely a great done and you feel very happy when you finally manage to bring out the desired effect because all your attempts are paid off. Only if you try it you will know what we mean. Think of it!

RE: Need help with creating!!! by warmth on 01-16-2008 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jonesy123
someone seriously i have tried about 5 times and it went wrong each time i just need someone to make if they have spare time.
well then just post your problem here and we will help you teaching you what you did wrong...
RE: RE: Need help with creating!!! by Willz on 01-17-2008 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Skinning is a trial and error process

If anyone here (even Willz :P) claims that they got everything right first time then they're lying.

What? :P Me not get something right the first time HA right!

Nah :P

In my early skinning days, I would at least screw up my MSN like 20-30 times a day just with experimenting. You learn from your mistakes and you get better for it (Although now I trial and error a lot less :P)

You shouldn't give up so easily just because things don't work the first couple times. Nowadays you can get help with skinning, hell some people are even nice enough to put tutorials up :P

Back when I started it was all about taking random stabs in the dark and hoping for the best, and if you got stuck in a hole..... well you had very few people to get you out of it.

What I say is just post up where you are having issues and people will for sure try to help out.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by Sunshine on 01-17-2008 at 12:39 PM

If the only thing you are after is a background in the contactlist why do it the hard way trying to make a skin? Why not use a script that allows you to set those easily?

As Basilis already mentioned there is a script available doing just that: Background Changer

The only possible thing you might not like with that method is the fact the image stretches along with the window, but if that doesn't look so bad or doesn't bother you then go for the easy route (at least give it a try to see if that's what you want) ;)

RE: Need help with creating!!! by warmth on 01-17-2008 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
If the only thing you are after is a background in the contactlist why do it the hard way trying to make a skin? Why not use a script that allows you to set those easily?
He/she likes to get things done in the harder way :P!!! or maybe is just so lazy to do it himself/herself and that's just an excuse to get what he want without moving a finger...
RE: Need help with creating!!! by jonesy123 on 01-17-2008 at 08:36 PM

Ok sunshine ive downloaded the background changer now what do i do ive imported it but there isnt no icon on ma contact list

RE: Need help with creating!!! by warmth on 01-17-2008 at 08:47 PM

inside the Messenger Plus! Live Script menu (a icon of three colorized boxes in contact list dashboard) you will find a submenu for BG changer (this submenus will appear for almost all the scripts you import, cause the most of them will have options/settings and an about place)

RE: Need help with creating!!! by jonesy123 on 01-17-2008 at 09:02 PM

Thanks but now when i open a photo or picture like a jpg it comes up with like blue and purple lines all over it.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by Basilis on 01-17-2008 at 09:04 PM

You mean there is no icon of the script? You just go to the preferences and from there you select the script and then the picture you want to have in your contact list background.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by jonesy123 on 01-17-2008 at 09:05 PM

no there is but the pic is weird with blue lines and purple lines all over it and some pictures dont cover the whol contact list.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by Oxy on 01-17-2008 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
You mean there is no icon of the script? You just go to the preferences and from there you select the script and then the picture you want to have in your contact list background.
please refresh before you post. |-)

quote:
no there is but the pic is weird with blue lines and purple lines all over it and some pictures dont cover the whol contact list.
What filetype are you trying to use?
RE: Need help with creating!!! by Basilis on 01-17-2008 at 09:23 PM

It may be bug of the script but it also the fact that you are using jpg. Try using a png picture.

RE: Need help with creating!!! by warmth on 01-17-2008 at 09:58 PM

quote:
It may be bug of the script but it also the fact that you are using jpg. Try using a png picture.
BG image is made by default with gif file... so the problem you are getting is because your jpg file has colors over the 256 of a gift file... try saving your jpg file with gif extension with a picture edit program like photoshop...
RE: RE: Need help with creating!!! by davidpolitis on 01-18-2008 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
try saving your jpg file with gif extension with a picture edit program like photoshop...
He might aswell as make a skin then since the quality will most likely be horrible.
RE: Need help with creating!!! by warmth on 01-18-2008 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidpolitis
He might aswell as make a skin then since the quality will most likely be horrible.
no always... cause he is just trying to put the man united logo... and this doesn't have such complicated colors...

I had the ACMilan logo in gif since MSN 6 and looked great...
RE: Need help with creating!!! by jonesy123 on 01-21-2008 at 08:44 PM

How do i change the jpg to gif then

RE: Need help with creating!!! by freak544 on 01-21-2008 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by warmth
quote:
BG image is made by default with gif file... so the problem you are getting is because your jpg file has colors over the 256 of a gift file... try saving your jpg file with gif extension with a picture edit program like photoshop...

As explained in this post or could searcha search engine for one
RE: Need help with creating!!! by warmth on 01-22-2008 at 12:25 AM

quote:
How do i change the jpg to gif then
try this!!!