Shoutbox

Anyway to change the address of msn? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Anyway to change the address of msn? (/showthread.php?tid=81173)

Anyway to change the address of msn? by Nathan on 01-24-2008 at 04:59 PM

Heya,

I am at schools for 24/5 and I would like to go on msn, but they've blocked it, is there anyway I can change the address of its connection server to another one? So I can then connect and use msn :)

I don't want to use online msn's.

Thankies :)

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by andrewdodd13 on 01-24-2008 at 06:51 PM

I think MSN caches the last login server used somewhere in registry, but I don't know where.

The way I would do it is open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and add

code:
<IP of msn server> messenger.hotmail.com

But then, if you're at school you'll need the administrator password to edit that file.
RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Nathan on 01-24-2008 at 07:11 PM

I am at school, but I am using my laptop. And while we are at it can anyone supply me with any other server IP + address's?

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Berger on 01-29-2008 at 07:09 AM

Any help with this? :)

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Th3rmal on 01-29-2008 at 08:15 AM

i do believe that there are portable versions of msn that just run off the folders they are in. i may be wrong, but i dont think they leave registry traces. or you could something like Pidgin (www.pidgin.im)

RE: RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by andrewdodd13 on 01-29-2008 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
i do believe that there are portable versions of msn that just run off the folders they are in. i may be wrong, but i dont think they leave registry traces. or you could something like Pidgin (www.pidgin.im)
If the ports are blocked for one client, they're generally blocked for them all. This is an outbound firewall issue, not an installation restriction.

Try 207.46.106.118:1863 - it's the one that's mentioned on hypothetic.
RE: RE: RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Berger on 01-29-2008 at 11:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
If the ports are blocked for one client, they're generally blocked for them all. This is an outbound firewall issue, not an installation restriction.

Try 207.46.106.118:1863 - it's the one that's mentioned on hypothetic.

IP didn't work for me, or.. It just tried connecting and didnt stop.
RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Ezra on 01-29-2008 at 11:50 AM

They probably just blocked outbound connections with a destination port of 1863, or just simply MSN packets

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Volv on 01-29-2008 at 12:39 PM

Umm, you may want to be cautious as to which 'servers' you're sending your login info to :P

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Nathan on 01-29-2008 at 07:12 PM

Yeah, well what I was asking if there were other msn servers (microsoft) that arent the default, so maybe i could sneak pass the firewall :p

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Shippo on 01-31-2008 at 02:47 AM

Don't know if this will work to be honest, but it's worth trying...

Pidgin Portable - could try that, but if the normal Pidgin doesn't work, then I suppose this won't either.

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by ShawnZ on 01-31-2008 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Yeah, well what I was asking if there were other msn servers (microsoft) that arent the default, so maybe i could sneak pass the firewall :p

they're all default. they're there for load balancing. MSN uses port 80. the reason it's blocked is because they're using stateful packet inspection. either set up a proxy or an ssh server at your home on an allowed port to get around the firewall.
RE: RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by andrewdodd13 on 01-31-2008 at 07:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by Napbree

they're all default. they're there for load balancing. MSN uses port 80. the reason it's blocked is because they're using stateful packet inspection. either set up a proxy or an ssh server at your home on an allowed port to get around the firewall.
Um... MSN uses port 1863 to connect, dude.

Of course, if they are blocking 1863 then you're screwed: all the MSN servers ask you to connect on that port.

The HTTP server stuff (which can be seen here) isn't used in the default client as far as I'm aware... the standard MSNP is used (here).
RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Th3rmal on 01-31-2008 at 07:52 AM

can u bribe the computer techies at your school?...just a thought....

RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by ShawnZ on 01-31-2008 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Of course, if they are blocking 1863 then you're screwed: all the MSN servers ask you to connect on that port.

yes, but it will fail over to port 80 when it realizes that port 1863 is firewalled
RE: Anyway to change the address of msn? by Nathan on 01-31-2008 at 10:23 AM

Surely they won't have blocked port 80, isn't that what web browsers use to connect (or is it 8080)?