Shoutbox

DNA or Man's free will - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: DNA or Man's free will (/showthread.php?tid=81202)

DNA or Man's free will by Basilis on 01-25-2008 at 07:05 PM

I had a lesson in school and we were talking about what DNA determines and if Man's free will can jump the obstacles that DNA puts. So I thought it would be useful to see what other people think about this important subject...

RE: DNA or Man's free will by Tochjo on 01-25-2008 at 07:15 PM

Could you explain further what you mean with 'obstacles' and 'everything'?

RE: DNA or Man's free will by Basilis on 01-25-2008 at 07:17 PM

I mean that DNA sometimes causes disabilities. For example some people are blind or can't walk. Everything means that by trying hard, you can complete your targets, even if DNA has given you disabilities.

RE: DNA or Man's free will by Aeryn on 01-25-2008 at 07:20 PM

Well, I'm no expert, but as far as I have realized, not everything is determined by DNA. Sure, DNA says that we are more likely to be talented at drawing, or that we have outstanding skills of solving certain kind of tasks. But it doesn't mean we are limited in making decisions. The way we end up doing things, think, act, is greatly influenced by what we have experienced throughout our life, not by DNA.

I think the two sides that you distinguish between, exist together, not either one or the other.

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I don't believe it is possible to overcome these disabilities. For example, I am colourblind. This is caused by a hereditary disorder, i.e. a DNA issue. There is no way for me to have this 'fixed'. Perhaps some difficulties can be overcome (e.g. use coloured contact lenzes to change your eye colour or dye your hair to change your hair colour), but certainly not all of them.

I agree with you. When we talk about physical disabilities, I can't imagine how one could just "will it away".
RE: DNA or Man's free will by Tochjo on 01-25-2008 at 07:22 PM

I don't believe it is possible to overcome these disabilities. For example, I am colourblind. This is caused by a hereditary disorder, i.e. a DNA issue. There is no way for me to have this 'fixed'. Perhaps some difficulties can be overcome (e.g. use coloured contact lenzes to change your eye colour or dye your hair to change your hair colour), but certainly not all of them.

And I also agree with what Haz said above me :)

RE: DNA or Man's free will by Basilis on 01-25-2008 at 07:22 PM

I put another option for those who have the same opinion as you

RE: DNA or Man's free will by Voldemort on 01-25-2008 at 09:45 PM

none determine your life definitely

RE: DNA or Man's free will by Nathan on 01-25-2008 at 09:49 PM

Life is full of surprises!

RE: DNA or Man's free will by vaccination on 01-25-2008 at 09:50 PM

Will power alone would not fix it, however changing your DNA would(duh). Soon it will be possible to commercially get your DNA changed to remove such disabilities. At first it'll only be before birth, before the proteins are coded. Later we should be able to change our DNA 'on the fly'; just like Bioshock, i guess.

I'm pretty sure already, if you're rich enough, you can pay to choose the sex of your baby, eye colour etc.

In answer to your question though, no I don't think it would be possible to change ones appearance or disability simply using willpower, as we don't have control over destroying nor making the proteins that define us.

RE: DNA or Man's free will by albert on 01-26-2008 at 03:49 AM

To be honest.. I believe anything is possible.

RE: DNA or Man's free will by ShawnZ on 01-26-2008 at 05:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Haz
But it doesn't mean we are limited in making decisions.

what if your DNA limits your ability to make decisions, e.g. autism?
RE: DNA or Man's free will by Panos on 01-29-2008 at 05:53 PM

I've chosen the 3rd option as I think that in some cases (depending if we want or not) we can can overcome problems but in other cases, like problems from birth can't be always solved....but as they say ''c' est la vie''...

RE: DNA or Man's free will by absorbation on 01-29-2008 at 06:34 PM

Studies into identical twins have shown they have similar talents and personal characteristics, even of those separated at birth. This suggests that there is a genetic link. However, there is no direct cause and effect, so it is most likely a combination of nature and nurture. Physiological psychologists would argue genetics have an important effect on human behavior.

RE: DNA or Man's free will by andrey on 01-29-2008 at 07:22 PM

free will is an illusion.

it's not completely on-topic, but still an interesting idea :tongue:

not DNA, but our brain makes decisions even before we think we make the decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will#Neuroscience

quote:
Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills.
that seems logical to me..
RE: DNA or Man's free will by Basilis on 01-29-2008 at 09:40 PM

I think that if you believe in God and you want something very much, then it can happen. You just need to ask for His help and you can overcome any disability. That is what I think.