Shoutbox

Do you recycle? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Do you recycle? (/showthread.php?tid=81303)

Do you recycle? by Panos on 01-29-2008 at 06:05 PM

I just wanted to see if you recycle or not.I would also like you to post your opinion about recycling and (whether you recycle or not) if you think it is  important and why...^o)

RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-29-2008 at 06:50 PM

I don't think it's so much a case of 'do you' but more a case of 'can you'. There probably people who would like to do their bit for the enviroment but there aren't the facilities available to do it (I can't even tell you where my nearest ones are).

The closest that I get to recycling is that of packaging as I buy a lot of things from the likes of eBay and other sites, to the likes of bubble wrap (get stress reliever btw) and cardboard, gets reused in my own packaging of my items I sell. ANd it won't be the first time that a copy of the odd Playstation or WebUser magazine, hasn't become shreded packaging :)

RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-29-2008 at 07:09 PM

I recycle as one week stuff like plastic and grass cuttings get collect and the other week platic carboard and tins gets collected as well as our normal rubbish

RE: Do you recycle? by Spunky on 01-29-2008 at 07:12 PM

Got bins for bottles/cans/tins, cardboard, grass etc, paper and normal rubbish... Sucks.

I don't always sort it out though

RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-29-2008 at 07:14 PM

I don't always sort it out my dad usually does by crushing all cans ripping up carboard and puttin it into one carboard box and crushing the plastic and putting the plastic into a carrier bag

I always help put it out though

RE: Do you recycle? by MeEtc on 01-29-2008 at 07:17 PM

In addition to recycling, the city here launched an organics collection system about 10 years ago now. In a family of 5 when I used to live at home, We usually produced on average only one bag of garbage over 2 weeks. The rest is put in blue bags or the organics cart. It gets horribly smelly in the summer though :sad:

Since it was launched here, most other parts of the province has adopted a similar system.

RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-29-2008 at 07:44 PM

See, our council has three bins for recycling (that is, if your lucky...seems to be new builds are getting two....and they want to start 2 weekly collection....that's another story....) and they are:

• Green - Household rubbish
  • Brown - Garden waste
  • Blue - Paper waste (but no cardboard, glossy magazines, envelopes with palstic faces etc etc etc)

My house only has the green and brown, so if we want to recycle paper, we need to take it down to my gran's house. I know that in Aberdeen (Scotland) they have the bags and they get sat by the roadside to be colllected.

There's always been the plastic bag recycling, but I think Tesco's is on the ball here in the UK, awarding 'Green points' to their loyalty card holders for not using plastic bags, or at least, not using new ones. You also get 'green points' for recycling your ink cartridges (although you do the send them through the post thing). And then of course you have the websites that will recycle that old mobile phone and give you money if it's worth anything...
RE: Do you recycle? by Panos on 01-29-2008 at 07:50 PM

I'm happy to hear  that you recycle...recycling is something for which we should all care about and believe me, it really helps nature.(Y)

RE: Do you recycle? by Basilis on 01-29-2008 at 08:02 PM

I recycle paper and cans or bottles. i think that we have to save the environment so that our children can live in good conditions

RE: Do you recycle? by Quantum on 01-29-2008 at 08:23 PM

Yes :) I also have a bad habit of switching off all the light's i go past.

RE: Do you recycle? by Nagamasa on 01-29-2008 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
In addition to recycling, the city here launched an organics collection system about 10 years ago now. In a family of 5 when I used to live at home, We usually produced on average only one bag of garbage over 2 weeks. The rest is put in blue bags or the organics cart. It gets horribly smelly in the summer though :sad:

Since it was launched here, most other parts of the province has adopted a similar system.

Same with us in Toronto. The organic "green bin" and the recycling "blue box" are collected weekly in front of our house. Garbage is collected every other week, with 4 bags being the maximum.

P.S.: The garbage doesn't smell that bad.
RE: Do you recycle? by Jimbo on 01-29-2008 at 08:47 PM

Yeh we have to here or we get fined:P Although i dont see how they would do that considering the amount of people that probably dont:P

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza

* Green - Household rubbish
    * Brown - Garden waste
    * Blue - Paper waste (but no cardboard, glossy magazines, envelopes with palstic faces etc etc etc)

Same as above, but we also have a purple one for old milk bottles, and cans

RE: Do you recycle? by ddunk on 01-29-2008 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo

quote:

* Green - Household rubbish
    * Brown - Garden waste
    * Blue - Paper waste (but no cardboard, glossy magazines, envelopes with palstic faces etc etc etc)

Same as above, but we also have a purple one for old milk bottles, and cans
Reminds me of http://youtube.com/watch?v=SC3CZBDz7Wg (nsfw, profanity. :p)

But to answer the topic, yeah. I do. But everything goes in one bin for us.
RE: Do you recycle? by Oxy on 01-29-2008 at 10:06 PM

Yup.

RE: Do you recycle? by blackjack on 01-29-2008 at 10:09 PM

Theres no such thing in my city :P
I would recycle if i could :P

RE: Do you recycle? by Quantum on 01-29-2008 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack

Surely thats not allowed?
RE: Do you recycle? by ddunk on 01-29-2008 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by blackjack

Surely thats not allowed?
Why not?
RE: Do you recycle? by vaccination on 01-29-2008 at 10:41 PM

We have two bins, one for garden waste and cardboard and a second for tins, bottles, glass and paper. Which has to be sorted into sections within the box(kinda)

RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-29-2008 at 10:44 PM

The scheme we use is called Reduce, Reuse, Recycle lol

We have to seperate out all our recyclables into either bags if its plastic or in boxs if its cardboard or tins or glass

RE: Do you recycle? by marissa on 01-29-2008 at 10:44 PM

we have a landfil for our garbage which they pick up for us every other week, but if you want to recycle you have to keep all of your stuff and bring it to large blue bins located in various places around the city where you can sort the paper into one, plastic in one, etc. in Ontario we had a blue bin for recycling, but here in Alberta i havent seen any :\

oh and yeah we recycle

edit: question about the 'organic bins' in Nova Scotia and Toronto. is that just like banana peels and stuff? just compost it yourself and feed it to your gardens? :p

RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-29-2008 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by freak544

Yeah I think that's the bog standard policy for the whole of britain...must ask Gordon if he obeys that policy......

completely off topic but I think this is about as active as I have been since 2005......
RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-29-2008 at 11:03 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by freak544

Yeah I think that's the bog standard policy for the whole of britain...must ask Gordon if he obeys that policy......

completely off topic but I think this is about as active as I have been since 2005......

Yeah I wonder if he does obey that policy

I heard that my council was going to change the recycling weeks collecting cardboard and grass cuttings one week a month and plastic, glass and tins three weeks a month I would understand if it was during the winter (due to hardly any grass cuttings) but in the summer it would be pointless
RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-29-2008 at 11:09 PM

See, for this whole changing of collection days to work, they first need to get the recycling side of things sorted and more accessable to people, otherwise we probably are going to end up with lots and lot and lots and lots (you get the idea) of rats etc because of rubbish being left lying.

Get the recycling side sorted and that, theoritically speaking, should reduce the amount of actual household rubbish, as the majority of stuff seems to be coming in recyclable (?) packaging.

RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-29-2008 at 11:13 PM

quote:
See, for this whole changing of collection days to work, they first need to get the recycling side of things sorted and more accessable to people, otherwise we probably are going to end up with lots and lot and lots and lots (you get the idea) of rats etc because of rubbish being left lying.

Get the recycling side sorted and that, theoritically speaking, should reduce the amount of actual household rubbish, as the majority of stuff seems to be coming in recyclable (?) packaging.

That is a good point all they do is send us a calender with the free newspaper which tells you if its a green or blue week with what you can put out

However I went onto there website and found out that they currently don't recycle all types of plastic which isn't on the calender so I doubt people actually know that all types of plastic there council don't recycle which I guess they need to get the recycling side of things sorted out as you said

RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-29-2008 at 11:15 PM

Up to writing to local MP/MSP/ (don't know what welsh ones are sorry) to complain and tell them to start acting? Of course for that we'll need facts and figures......

RE: Do you recycle? by MeEtc on 01-29-2008 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
edit: question about the 'organic bins' in Nova Scotia and Toronto. is that just like banana peels and stuff? just compost it yourself and feed it to your gardens? :p
Thats only part of it. A partial list as to whats included:
food waste
non-recyclable paper products (boxboard, etc but not waxed cups)
yard waste, grass clippings, tree branches

basically anything that was once alive, processed or not
RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-29-2008 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Up to writing to local MP/MSP/ (don't know what welsh ones are sorry) to complain and tell them to start acting? Of course for that we'll need facts and figures......

Yeah thats a goo idea (might have to write to them or leave a comment on one of there websites) and I am not welsh what made you think I was?

I live in a lovely place called essex lol
RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-29-2008 at 11:50 PM

No no no I had mentioned national, scottish and I know Wales has a parliament but I don't know what they are so it was so I didn't cause offence to them... that's all

Hey, Labour have that labour:vision channel on youtube....:D And I could always just go protest outside the Scottish Parliament (only an hour away....make a rubbish protest....get it :p)

RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-30-2008 at 12:03 AM

quote:
No no no I had mentioned national, scottish and I know Wales has a parliament but I don't know what they are so it was so I didn't cause offence to them... that's all

Hey, Labour have that labour:vision channel on youtube....:D And I could always just go protest outside the Scottish Parliament (only an hour away....make a rubbish protest....get it :p)

Oh right I understand what you was saying now

A rubbish protest lmao! thats a good one

RE: Do you recycle? by aNILEator on 01-30-2008 at 12:11 AM

Chelmsford (Essex) is really good for recycling the have brown bin for garden waste (every other week I think, but only when it's necessary do you put it out), black for normal (this gets collected every week) cans and glass box (every other week) paper and cardboard bag (the 'other' weeks) and also a plastics bag too, all collected from your door

Stoke-On-Trent varies in which part you live in, mine I had a real hard time even trying to get the box's to recycle with. But they collect rubbish weekly, and glasses and cans fortnightly and paper too in my area, there is a really good dump/recycle centre though which does EVERYTHING wood, textiles, electricals, fridges, washing machines other machines, plastics, cardboard, paint, oil etc etc etc and more etc

RE: Do you recycle? by Eljay on 01-30-2008 at 12:16 AM

quote:
Up to writing to local MP/MSP/ (don't know what welsh ones are sorry)

Welsh ones are called AMs, which stands for Assembly Member afaik ;) :P
RE: Do you recycle? by freak544 on 01-30-2008 at 12:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Stoke-On-Trent varies in which part you live in, mine I had a real hard time even trying to get the box's to recycle with. But they collect rubbish weekly, and glasses and cans fortnightly and paper too in my area, there is a really good dump/recycle centre though which does EVERYTHING wood, textiles, electricals, fridges, washing machines other machines, plastics, cardboard, paint, oil etc etc etc and more etc

That is simular to my collection and I live in colchester lol and we have a dump not that far away

We just put ours into old like washing baskets and they just take them out of there there was ment to be some big like tubs for us to put them in but the previous tennents took them with them

RE: Do you recycle? by Nagamasa on 01-30-2008 at 12:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Originally posted by marissa
Thats only part of it. A partial list as to whats included:
food waste
non-recyclable paper products (boxboard, etc but not waxed cups)
yard waste, grass clippings, tree branches

basically anything that was once alive, processed or not
We can recycle boxboard :P

Quick comprehensive list: http://www.richmondhill.ca/documents/going_green_what_goes_where.pdf

Some key items:

tissues (i have bag after bag of them :P)
anything that is is edible (bones, peels...)
"animal waste" (dog poo?, but I guess human poo would be okay too)
shredded paper (marks :P)
very small plants (larger ones go in yard waste)
NOT toothpicks (don't know why)
tampons (just found that interesting)
animal bedding
diapers

RE: Do you recycle? by Vazza on 01-30-2008 at 10:00 PM

I think there needs to be a standardisation of what can be recycled and what can't although I appreciate obviously various councils/localities etc etc etc, obviously don't have the facilities...yet they are the ones that say recycle recycle recycle!

Give the peoples the means to do so and then see if that increases the amount recycled and the amount wasted decrease....I would have said give them incentives but I thought that was going a tad too far (a)

RE: Do you recycle? by Basilis on 01-30-2008 at 11:03 PM

I agree with vassa. I also think that the governments must be the first to recycle and then the people will try to recycle too.

RE: Do you recycle? by aNILEator on 01-31-2008 at 01:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I agree with vassa. I also think that the governments must be the first to recycle and then the people will try to recycle too.

good assumption, works well in all societies throughout life and teaching, leading by example........ only when it's not the government.
RE: Do you recycle? by lizard.boy on 02-01-2008 at 12:30 AM

Where I live, we have normal trash, recyclables, organics, and yard waste.

It's really a pain as to what you can put in what bin, but it's really worth it when you think about how much dosn't have to end up in a landfill, which in our case means shipping it to Michigan.

Here's a link to my municipality's  recycling site.
http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/waste/

RE: Do you recycle? by Voldemort on 02-01-2008 at 12:32 AM

Well, we've got all trash and yard waste...

RE: Do you recycle? by Baggins on 02-01-2008 at 04:26 AM

RRR. (y)

RE: Do you recycle? by Yugatha on 02-01-2008 at 07:37 AM

i think we should. i mean, is it going to kill you if you put your stuff in another bin?

RE: Do you recycle? by Eddie on 02-01-2008 at 08:03 AM

Yeah, there are recycling bins all over the place here, my school has separate recycle bins for everything, its a good idea to recycle but i think they over emphasise the fact and should stop Global Warming first.

RE: Do you recycle? by Basilis on 02-07-2008 at 07:51 PM

The fact that many people do not recycle is one of the parameters that cause the Global Warming. I learned it from Biology

RE: Do you recycle? by Eddie on 02-08-2008 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
The fact that many people do not recycle is one of the parameters that cause the Global Warming. I learned it from Biology
Thats not the main fact though, the main fact of Global Warming is the way we treat the environment and the use of Fossil Fuels, if we were to move to cleaner energy it would help, especially countries like the United States and China.
RE: Do you recycle? by haydos on 02-08-2008 at 05:52 PM

Here in some areas there are 2 seperate bins, one for rubbish and one for recycling. Where I live we get one bin for both which is all sorted and recycled for us!

RE: Do you recycle? by SikStyles on 02-08-2008 at 07:08 PM

I'm too lazy to recycle.
Guess I'll never be a buddhist. :sad:

RE: Do you recycle? by Matt-in on 04-25-2008 at 03:12 PM

Lol For sure I Do, To keep environment safe, clean :)

RE: RE: Do you recycle? by Phillip on 04-25-2008 at 04:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
Here in some areas there are 2 seperate bins, one for rubbish and one for recycling. Where I live we get one bin for both which is all sorted and recycled for us!
(H)
RE: Do you recycle? by Rik on 04-25-2008 at 04:50 PM

I do. In my area every house has 4 bins, one for organic waste and the other 3 are one for papel, one for plastic/metal and the other for glass. They get colected atleast once a week. Makes it really easy to recycle :p

RE: Do you recycle? by aNILEator on 04-25-2008 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rik
They get colected atleast once a week

Damn, all of them? or bi-weekly timetable?

My cans, glass and paper was done today woo! now another month or mores worth of paper trash needed and 4 weeks of booze and food cans/bottles/jars :P

I keep forgetting to put them out biweekly, or it doesn't seem worth it for paper etc
RE: Do you recycle? by Rik on 04-25-2008 at 08:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
quote:
Originally posted by Rik
They get colected atleast once a week

Damn, all of them? or bi-weekly timetable?

The organic waste is colected 3 times a week (not worth putting it all the time out though). The recycle ones is only once a week.
Lets hope one day the trash to recycle will be at higher levels around the world, it would save us a lot of resources :P
RE: Do you recycle? by GiantSpider on 04-25-2008 at 08:19 PM

Yeah, we recycle glass, and cans.

But thats pretty much all you can recycle in our area, it really varies from local authority to local authority.

On continental Europe pretty much everything is recylced, i think in Germany it is like 80% of house hold waste.

RE: Do you recycle? by Rik on 04-25-2008 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
On continental Europe pretty much everything is recylced, i think in Germany it is like 80% of house hold waste.
I think Portugal doesn't get to 20% unfortunately but it's progressing :P