Shoutbox

MS + Yahoo vs. Google - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: MS + Yahoo vs. Google (/showthread.php?tid=81396)

MS + Yahoo vs. Google by joey on 02-02-2008 at 10:48 PM

Microsoft are trying to take over Yahoo! for something like $44bn i think (correction? =p) to try and rival Google's share in search engine and advertising marketshare "before Google get a foothold in", but if im not mistaken, around 75% of all searches were performed using Google in the U.K alone, so isnt it a bit late? :P

what's going to happen i wonder?

quote:
Originally posted by the internet

"Unless Microsoft has something planned that actually offers something new to the Internet, I don't believe this will threaten Google at all, or even significantly enhance any of their Internet businesses. Microsoft just doesn't have it in its blood to compete in the market of Internet applications and services. Their success was in the PC software market, and their strategy has usually been to corner the market before consumers get a choice, because most users are too complacent to download new software to replace what comes pre-installed on their computer. Even then, IE ultimately fell out of favour, after users became frustrated with yeras of security issues, which is only a testament to how slow they are to respond to the demands of Internet users. Google doesn't rest on their laurels. They challenge their programmers to always be working on something new. I'll believe Microsoft can step up to the plate and play this game when I see it."

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Supersonicdarky on 02-03-2008 at 04:09 AM

Yahoo is also the most popular site in the world at the moment (Alexa), and yahoo owns other popular sites such as flickr. I would rather have yahoo purchased by google though so they would finally dominate the interwebz.

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Chris4 on 02-03-2008 at 05:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
Yahoo is also the most popular site in the world at the moment (Alexa), and yahoo owns other popular sites such as flickr. I would rather have yahoo purchased by google though so they would finally dominate the interwebz.
Haha, M$ Would be really screwed then.
RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Spunky on 02-03-2008 at 11:14 AM

Google will buy MS eventually :D

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Basilis on 02-03-2008 at 11:21 AM

I think google is better than yahoo.

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by joey on 02-03-2008 at 12:16 PM

google just owns, docs, earth, maps, mail, and even its own IM, and all for free.
thats the best part...free. :P and i like how they dont JUST go for all these fancy graphics, its just functional and about as simple as it needs to be. and then there's microsoft, of which you cant use POP3 for free with hotmail :P yes i know im being biased XD

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Eddie on 02-03-2008 at 12:23 PM

Personally i think its a wise move, but it will be very interesting to see what comes of the Yahoo Applications and the currently testing Yahoo Messenger *-)

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by freak544 on 02-03-2008 at 12:33 PM

You can recieve hotmail message through outlook or windows mail you just need the hotmail plug-in for it in which i have used before

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by joey on 02-03-2008 at 12:35 PM

let me guess, you need windows? :P

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by John Anderton on 02-03-2008 at 01:49 PM

Google > Yahoo+MS on the internet :-)
As far as desktops go, Google still have a strong policy against entering into OS' but they are planning for their own phone :o
Its Google and MS. Has been for a long time now and I don't expect it to change :)

On the Internet, irrespective of who buys who.. Google will still lead MS :)

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by YottabyteWizard on 02-03-2008 at 07:42 PM

I don't think MS even has a chance.... if MS buys Yahoo, there will be a whole of stuff on the main page, which is also why google is so popular... it does what it has to do ONLY. All the other stuff is optional.

Also the search engine itself from google is way better than yahoo's.

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by lizard.boy on 02-03-2008 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWizard
it does what it has to do ONLY.

http://search.yahoo.com

But I'm still biased towards liking Google
RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Spunky on 02-03-2008 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
quote:

Yeah, but then take MSN into account ^o)

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by andrey on 02-03-2008 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
quote:

http://www.live.com/ :p
RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by YottabyteWizard on 02-04-2008 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neowin.net
Yahoo may join Google instead of Microsoft

from Neowin.net / Main by Emil Protalinski
A source familiar with Yahoo Incorporated's strategy suggested that the company may consider a business alliance with Google Incorporated, as an alternative to Microsoft’s $44.6 billion takeover proposal. Yahoo management is considering revisiting talks it held with Google several months ago on an alliance as an alternative to Microsoft's bid, that source said. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Google's chief executive Eric Schmidt called Yahoo's chief executive Jerry Yang to offer his company's help in any effort to thwart Microsoft's bid. Details of what conclusions the two men came to have yet to surface.

RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Shippo on 02-04-2008 at 01:28 PM

*yawn* Another plot for Microcrap to take over the industry. They never give up, do they? It's pathetic of them... Yahoo is quite popular around the world and $44.6 billion probably ain't going to cut it.

The only success I see in Microcrap is Windows XP and their simulation software, that's about it. All the other crap they pulled out (including Vista) is quite a joke.

Hm, why won't they just die so we can share the money where it's needed? In a way, if Yahoo wants to do something, go for Google, it's about the only other reliable search engine out there.

RE: RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Verte on 02-04-2008 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shippo
The only success I see in Microcrap is Windows XP and their simulation software, that's about it. All the other crap they pulled out (including Vista) is quite a joke.

Haha. I believe MS make most of their money on productivity software, and I'm going to guess that they are making quite a bit on the games side of things.

quote:
Originally posted by Shippo
Hm, why won't they just die so we can share the money where it's needed? In a way, if Yahoo wants to do something, go for Google, it's about the only other reliable search engine out there.

Phwoar. $44.6 bn. If you could invest that and get only 7% PA (which is pretty pathetic if you can afford huge hedge funds), that'd buy 31,000 developers on $100k. Just imagine the software you could write with that kind of power.

Shame Microsoft hadn't thought of this!
RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by John Anderton on 02-04-2008 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Verte
Phwoar. $44.6 bn. If you could invest that and get only 7% PA (which is pretty pathetic if you can afford huge hedge funds), that'd buy 31,000 developers on $100k. Just imagine the software you could write with that kind of power.

Yahoo doesn't *just* have a search engine. Yahoo brings along a ton of other services and millions of customers with it. You inherit *everything* ;)
RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Supersonicdarky on 02-05-2008 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
but they are planning for their own phone :o
it's called android and it's not a phone, its a mobile os that other hardware manufacturers will use

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28mobile_phone_platform%29

RE: RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by Verte on 02-05-2008 at 03:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Verte

Yahoo doesn't *just* have a search engine. Yahoo brings along a ton of other services and millions of customers with it. You inherit *everything* ;)

I was trying to say "Imagine the quality of products if they had that many developers!", the punch line is that they do.
RE: RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by rav0 on 02-07-2008 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
quote:
quote:

http://www.live.com/ :p
Live.com is still more cluttered than Google, and have you seen this? --> http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXAcwriid0 <-- it's all a joke, but really, it looks familiar, like a real Microsoft design
RE: MS + Yahoo vs. Google by joey on 02-08-2008 at 08:05 AM

lol old but i love it :P  i cant wait for the next load of crap to be shipped in to world, and for idiots to say wow its great and real humans to say its a load of crap to shipped in to try and get them to part with their money :P