Shoutbox

Firefox being very slow :( - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Firefox being very slow :( (/showthread.php?tid=81455)

Firefox being very slow :( by Chris4 on 02-05-2008 at 02:56 AM

Well, Firefox 2.0.0.11 is sucking for me lately. It is really slow loading pages, images in particular, compared to Internet Explorer which loads them quickly.

I have tried clearing cache, disabling all add-ons and making a new firefox profile.

Don't know what else to say really. I have Windows XP. :S

Thanks

RE: Firefox being very slow :( by Dane on 02-05-2008 at 03:18 AM

Use Internet Explorer instead...its clearly the better software, it doesnt fail like Firefox.

RE: Firefox being very slow :( by MeEtc on 02-05-2008 at 03:22 AM

gah, is microsoft paying to say that? :p

I told him on WLM to download firefox portable, see if thats any faster

RE: Firefox being very slow :( by Chris4 on 02-05-2008 at 04:54 AM

MeEtc helped me out :)

I backed up profile, uninstalled firefox, installed firefox, imported profile and it's better now :D

Thanks.

RE: Firefox being very slow :( by NanaFreak on 02-05-2008 at 05:45 AM

use the add-on called fasterfox it helps out firefox a bit... not too much but it does help

RE: Firefox being very slow :( by markee on 02-05-2008 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Use Internet Explorer instead...its clearly the better software, it doesnt fail like Firefox.
Personally I will never use Internet Explorer again because I know what damage I can do with it and all it takes is acceptance of activeX objects which many people don't even think about accepting because they are forever bombarded with alerts and warning pop-ups from microsoft products.

Firefox may have some issues, but there are far better features in it and from tests that I have done, also renders pages faster than IE.

In future if people ask for help with something then give them the help rather than trying to give them an alternative that they have obviously steered away from for some reason.  If you don't have a sufficient answer then move on and look to post you IE bullshit somewhere else where it is more on-topic.

As for make firefox better, there are many settings that you can tweak and many site proclaiming that they have the solution.  You can always give them a try to see if it makes any improvements.
RE: Firefox being very slow :( by ShawnZ on 02-05-2008 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Personally I will never use Internet Explorer again because I know what damage I can do with it and all it takes is acceptance of activeX objects which many people don't even think about accepting because they are forever bombarded with alerts and warning pop-ups from microsoft products.

uh, all it takes on firefox is the acceptance of a netscape plugin?
RE: RE: Firefox being very slow :( by Verte on 02-05-2008 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by markee

uh, all it takes on firefox is the acceptance of a netscape plugin?

While I dislike the plugin architecture (there's not enough isolation, the WMA plugin on Windows is crashtastic, and the adobe flash plugin is yuck, but neither should *ever* be able to crash the browser if the interface is defined properly), I'd be hesitant to say it's as bad as ActiveX. Installing plugins generally goes through the mozilla site, those plugins that don't get blocked, and you have to explicitly allow them.

so, acceptance of a netscape plugin takes a lot more work than accepting an ActiveX script.
RE: Firefox being very slow :( by Quantum on 02-06-2008 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak
use the add-on called fasterfox it helps out firefox a bit... not too much but it does help

I really don't agree. It changes the max_connections to a server to the max. Doing so makes some servers think your DDOS'ing them when your browsing there site.

They also have apps that block you after time and wont let your IP access for days.
RE: Firefox being very slow :( by Nathan on 02-06-2008 at 06:48 PM

Yeah i remember, 110mb.com had that problem, but they sorted it all out. Not many people add that feature lol

RE: RE: Firefox being very slow :( by Chris4 on 02-06-2008 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
quote:
Originally posted by NanaFreak

I really don't agree. It changes the max_connections to a server to the max. Doing so makes some servers think your DDOS'ing them when your browsing there site.

They also have apps that block you after time and wont let your IP access for days.
Only if you put it on 'turbo charged'. 'Optimized' is fine.