Shoutbox

Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons (/showthread.php?tid=81481)

Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by azn angel on 02-06-2008 at 06:40 AM

I'm wondering if I should buy an ex-gov laptop but I know nothing about them

I was wondering what the pros and cons are besides them being cheap :P

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by Th3rmal on 02-06-2008 at 07:08 AM

how cheap exactly?

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by azn angel on 02-06-2008 at 01:07 PM

not sure...

i know you can buy laptops of $500 but i dont know what condition theyre in

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by lizard.boy on 02-06-2008 at 01:11 PM

It really depends on the laptop, I would think a used laptop is a used laptop, government use or not. Depends on how old and abused it is whether it's worth it or not.

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by saralk on 02-06-2008 at 01:53 PM

If by ex government, you mean ex government spy, get it, it might have a built in periscope or something.

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by Quantum on 02-06-2008 at 04:43 PM

Well there will be plenty in the UK for cheap. (you might even get 10000's of peoples details on them)

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by MC Inferno on 02-07-2008 at 02:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Well there will be plenty in the UK for cheap. (you might even get 10000's of peoples details on them)

Oh yeah. I bought my computer ex-gov and it had this CD still in the disc drive... over 25 million names, address's and bank details! ;)
RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by rav0 on 02-07-2008 at 08:50 AM

Government computers (and computers from basically any other organisation that leases them) are used in controlled environments, the computer is in virtually the same configuration as it was in when new. With private computers, people have changed things, so there may be broken/low-quality/strange components that will give you trouble later. Given this, and that they are configured to begin with to have the same type of computer used by tens of people to thousands of people, you can expect a standard of quality from the computer. However, since the users don't own the stuff, they treat it more harshly than otherwise (eg rather than find the problem and fix it properly, kickthe machine and hope it starts working otherwise just take it to helpdesk). Also, even though there will be a standard fo quality you can expect, this standard isn't necessarily high. For example, NSW schools use IBM/Lenovo computers, with nicely overpowered processors, but with extraodinarily low quality ram meaning that they can be unreliable.

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by azn angel on 02-10-2008 at 12:38 PM

ohh thanks. I'll look into all that.

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by Quantum on 02-10-2008 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
quote:

Oh yeah. I bought my computer ex-gov and it had this CD still in the disc drive... over 25 million names, address's and bank details! ;)

WOW! Its happend beofre to the UK:P
RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by MC Inferno on 02-13-2008 at 04:04 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
quote:

WOW! Its happend beofre to the UK:P

lol, I know man, I was makkng a joke ;)
RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by Quantum on 02-15-2008 at 02:07 PM

Me too.

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by bobby2000 on 02-15-2008 at 10:44 PM

lol.. doesn't that make you proud of our country , knowing we are so careful with that sort of information :P

RE: Ex Government Computers Pros & Cons by MC Inferno on 02-19-2008 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Me too.

Oh, my bad!