Shoutbox

Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? (/showthread.php?tid=81635)

Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by M73A on 02-13-2008 at 02:38 PM

was some thing on tv and this guy just literally drove down a road, loaded up this program and could see what computers on an unsecured wireless network were doing...

how easy is that to do?

ta

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Jesus on 02-13-2008 at 03:07 PM

well, afaik you can do some packet sniffing, but that would only show their wireless network traffic, not their actual desktop if that's what you're after.
unless they also have no password on their remote desktop connection (if that's even possible)

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by M73A on 02-13-2008 at 03:10 PM

lol i dunno, the guy printed out what this dude was doing in his house (booking holidays etc) and gave the printouts of the webpage to him :S

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Spunky on 02-13-2008 at 04:37 PM

It's fairly easy to access a WEP or WPA encrypted wireless network... Even easier for an unsecured one. I know because I tested the security in my network. Once on a network you can packet sniff. Ethereal (now WireShark) can sniff packets and possibly display information sent unencrypted such as certain logins from unsecrue sites, but most likely not anything using SSL or some form a encryption when submitting data

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by vaccination on 02-13-2008 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
lol i dunno, the guy printed out what this dude was doing in his house (booking holidays etc) and gave the printouts of the webpage to him (Smilie)
Just sniffed the packets to find out what url they had come from/to?
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Jesus on 02-13-2008 at 05:40 PM

vax, you failed at quoting :P

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
It's fairly easy to access a WEP or WPA encrypted wireless network
I know about WEP being easy to crack, but has WPA been cracked too?
And how about WPA2?
edit: just googled for the answer :P
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Dane on 02-13-2008 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus

I know about WEP being easy to crack, but has WPA been cracked too?

WEP is hardly easy to crack imo...You need very specific hardware with monitoring modes and you need to collect enough packets, etc....
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by WDZ on 02-13-2008 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
WEP is hardly easy to crack imo...You need very specific hardware with monitoring modes and you need to collect enough packets, etc....
quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
... today a WEP connection can be cracked with readily available software within minutes.
:p
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Dane on 02-13-2008 at 06:14 PM

It lies, WDZ.  Do the research and try for yourself, haha.  I have tried as an experiment (6).

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by absorbation on 02-13-2008 at 06:19 PM

WEP is insecure as its encryption key has been cracked, and thus people can discover a password to a network. WPA keys can also be cracked, but only with a random key access attempt; have a bizarre password and the chances are minimal that someone can get in. Also try Mac address filtering and look for vans with a satellite dish outside your house :P.

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by vaccination on 02-13-2008 at 06:57 PM

Indeed, WEP is easy to bypass with the right software.

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
vax, you fail at quoting :P

fixed ;[
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by absorbation on 02-13-2008 at 08:34 PM

Was this the video you were talking about? :P:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBHjZUKW54

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by M73A on 02-13-2008 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Was this the video you were talking about? :P:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgBHjZUKW54

that would be the one!
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by prashker on 02-13-2008 at 10:14 PM

On the way to Daytona, I jacked internet froma  gas station. Which was pretty epic. I managed to download an emulator for my games :D

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by roflmao456 on 02-14-2008 at 03:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
On the way to Daytona, I jacked internet froma  gas station. Which was pretty epic. I managed to download an emulator for my games :D
....:dodgy:

i thought daytonasam said that you were at your own internet cafe.
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Voldemort on 02-14-2008 at 03:42 AM

... on the way to daytona

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by prashker on 02-14-2008 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
....:dodgy:

i thought daytonasam said that you were at your own internet cafe.
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
... on the way to daytona
exactly :p.
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by ShawnZ on 02-14-2008 at 04:12 AM

quote:
It lies, WDZ.  Do the research and try for yourself, haha.  I have tried as an experiment (6).
just because you have shitty wireless hardware or crappy drivers for them doesn't mean "wep is incredibly hard to crack." wep is amazingly easy to crack, and doesn't require any special hardware. the fact that your wireless equipment can't do it is the exception, not the rule.
RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by Dane on 02-14-2008 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

just because you have shitty wireless hardware or crappy drivers for them doesn't mean "wep is incredibly hard to crack." wep is amazingly easy to crack, and doesn't require any special hardware. the fact that your wireless equipment can't do it is the exception, not the rule.
Umm, maybe you should research it a bit more, WEP does require very specific hardware and drivers to crack.  And, most wireless cards do not support the current tools created for Windows to do it.  Linux is an exception in that more readily available drivers are there if thats the problem, but its still not easy.

RE: Wifi- how easy is it to see what someone else is doing? by ShawnZ on 02-14-2008 at 04:21 AM

quote:
WEP does require very specific hardware and drivers to crack

not really :-/