Shoutbox

Officer roughs up teen - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Officer roughs up teen (/showthread.php?tid=81658)

Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-14-2008 at 09:14 AM

I don't know if you all have seen this video or not but its the most watched vid on youtube right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hxOr3q7nrk

I can understand why the cop was pissed off. If you watch the first bit where the kid is saying he cant hear you hes got headphones in then he takes them out and the cop starts to talking to the kid, you cant hear the kid talking all you can hear is the cop. The kid was most likely saying all this smart ass shit thats why the cop got pissed. The kid was breaking the law by skateboarding where he was skateboarding, so the cop had a right to take the skateboard off him,but the kid refused and started talking back being a smart ass calling him dude and man, which you can tell he doesnt like. At the point where he grabed the kid he was really pissed off. The kid wouldnt respect him, the kid wouldn't stop calling him names that the police officer didn't like and the kid wouldn't hand over his skateboard that he has been breaking the law with. So the cop went up to him and grabed the skateboard, the kid held onto it and wouldn't give it over, so the cop had to use force and throw him to the ground. Then the kid continued to annoy the shit out of him by calling him dude and man. The funny bit is that he keeps saying "i didn't do anything" yes he did, he was skateboarding in the wrong place, then he disrespected the officer. I have noticed on youtube everyone is acting like this was unprovoked the kid did entirely nothing. What do you guys think?

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Jesus on 02-14-2008 at 09:28 AM

Don't know, wasn't there, video does not tell enough to make a judgement without falling into speculation.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-14-2008 at 09:53 AM

I asked what did you think of the video. I know you weren't there...

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Jesus on 02-14-2008 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I have noticed on youtube everyone is acting like this was unprovoked the kid did entirely nothing. What do you guys think?
From those 2 lines I made up you wanted to know whether or not we thought the officer's action was justified.
I can't tell that from the video.

If you want to know what I think of the video itself; I think it's shit.
Not only because of the bad camerawork and poor sound quality, but also because it's something the officer has to work out with the boy (and perhaps his lawyer).
In short, I've seen better video's with a more interesting storyline. :)

edit: I do think the cop needs some sort of anger management though.
Respect can also be earned in a more calmed down way.
RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-14-2008 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
I have noticed on youtube everyone is acting like this was unprovoked the kid did entirely nothing. What do you guys think?
From those 2 lines I made up you wanted to know whether or not we thought the officer's action was justified.
I can't tell that from the video.

If you want to know what I think of the video itself; I think it's shit.
Not only because of the bad camerawork and poor sound quality, but also because it's something the officer has to work out with the boy (and perhaps his lawyer).
In short, I've seen better video's with a more interesting storyline. :)

edit: I do think the cop needs some sort of anger management though.
Respect can also be earned in a more calmed down way.

omg, i know the video is shit quality the guy was filming without the officer that's not what the thread is about.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Volv on 02-14-2008 at 12:13 PM

Cop's up himself (wtf @ "don't get defensive with me", afaik he didn't do anything), I can't hear anything the kids said so I can't comment on whether what he did was justified or not.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Phillip on 02-14-2008 at 12:28 PM

Cop was a complete asshole. There was no need for the yelling. A simple please don't skateboard here probably would have been sufficient and if they didn't listen than he can get a bit aggressive.

If I were that kid I would have just called up my brother :grin: Then we will see who needs to respect who.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-14-2008 at 12:30 PM

don't call me dude ok sorry dude don't call me man ok man

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Volv on 02-14-2008 at 01:39 PM

quote:
A simple please don't skateboard here probably would have been sufficient
I think that's what he did while he was still inside his very little car, then when that kid didn't stop because he couldn't hear he got out and that's where the video starts.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Aeryn on 02-14-2008 at 02:32 PM

Wow, wtf. I agree that the kid has an attitude, but the cop certainly has one too. He just seems to want to show off how much power he has. And he obviously doesn't understand that calling someone "dude" is not just some "ranch" thing... 8-) Anyway, I think that cop should have acted professional, not just shouted at the poor kid like some abusive father.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Phillip on 02-14-2008 at 02:35 PM

I hate it when cops search your house and they pull all your clothes out and leave em on the floor just because they can :dodgy:

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Dr4g0n on 02-14-2008 at 03:00 PM

Bad memories Phillip?

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Justin on 02-14-2008 at 03:13 PM

I would have smashed him in the head with the board when i had the chance. They wonder why no one respects them? Its because they do stupid stuff like this.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by -dt- on 02-14-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JustIncredible
I would have smashed him in the head with the board when i had the chance. They wonder why no one respects them? Its because they do stupid stuff like this.
idiot.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Omar on 02-14-2008 at 03:43 PM

quote:
zomg, you are so... hardcore!
RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-14-2008 at 04:11 PM

Wtf. That cop seriously should be fired. The kid does nothing wrong and he suddenly starts making comments about the kids dad and then starts pushing him over. That is not how to be a cop, I wouldn't of taken it from him and would of reported him.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Basilis on 02-14-2008 at 04:39 PM

The cop is a part of the system. He will never be fired.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by SikStyles on 02-14-2008 at 04:46 PM

Both crossed the line.
Cop clearly has power abuse problems and the kid is just a teenager with attitude, nothing special.

RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-14-2008 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Wtf. That cop seriously should be fired. The kid does nothing wrong and he suddenly starts making comments about the kids dad and then starts pushing him over. That is not how to be a cop, I wouldn't of taken it from him and would of reported him.

He was doing something wrong he was skateboarding in the wrong place then he was giving lip to the officier and the kid wouldn't listen

RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-14-2008 at 09:13 PM

quote:
quote:

He was doing something wrong he was skateboarding in the wrong place then he was giving lip to the officier and the kid wouldn't listen
He gave the cop lip after the cop got angry(as far as the video is concerned anyway). The cop shouldn't have gotten aggressive straight off just because they weren't allowed to skate there.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Menthix on 02-14-2008 at 09:25 PM

I think the car this cop drives in might be related to his anger problem.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-14-2008 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I think the car this cop drives in might be related to his anger problem.
and his uniform 8-)
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Voldemort on 02-14-2008 at 11:04 PM

I saw one a day ago or two where a cop arrested a guy in a wheelchair for parking in a prohibited place (he used special equipment to drive) after he gets to the police's offices he is asked to stand up by the cop. he can't stand up, and the officer insists on him standing up when he couldn't move his legs. The officer gets pissed and grabs the chair by the back handles and throws him to the floor, there were two other officers present there and they didn't do a thing. way to go, cops! (was in the US btw.)

RE: Officer roughs up teen by aNILEator on 02-14-2008 at 11:50 PM

funniest thing?

at the VERY end of the vid

Cop - "Is that camera on? If I find myself on y-"
*end of video*

Personally I think he (the cop) has been a complete definition of cunt in human form.

NO WAY was that reasonable force for the "crime" committed. Also he did not handle that in any form of professional manner at all, ok he confiscates the skateboard but he does not at any time write down the Name, Address or Contact Details of the child concerned or give his details over or any information regarding how to reclaim his property

Heck the force shown in the video alone can be enough for a court case on child abuse in some countries. (~50-54s)

Maybe I'm biased though being a (ex)skater, even so, things seem way too aggressive from the adult here, especially on such a petty crime.

I think he needs a real suit and car, that shows power not something I'd associate with gym exercise and 80's gay stereotypes

RE: Officer roughs up teen by prashker on 02-15-2008 at 12:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
funniest thing?

at the VERY end of the vid

Cop - "Is that camera on? If I find myself on y-"
*end of video*

I lol'd :D
RE: Officer roughs up teen by aNILEator on 02-15-2008 at 01:11 AM

i think i personally said pwned at my computer screen :P

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Chrono on 02-15-2008 at 01:36 AM

i think the kid learnt the lesson, well done mr officer :P

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Lou on 02-15-2008 at 02:58 AM

quote:
I asked what did you think of the video. I know you weren't there...
quote:
omg, i know the video is shit quality the guy was filming without the officer that's not what the thread is about.
Hey, maybe I should throw you to the ground, take your keyboard away, and start bitching about your parents and your language used on the forums. Maybe I should, on top of that, not identify myself legally, and harass you some more, forcing you to do something that you don't have to do under any law (like sitting down somewhere). Then maybe I can keep bitching at you and start complaining about a camera that your buddy has every right to use to film me doing all this to you.
quote:
don't call me dude ok sorry dude don't call me man ok man
He was obviously pretty scared. The kid was 14, and the guy could have easily hurt him (and seemed quite likely to do so).
quote:
Yeah, and then have the entire deal turn your way for assaulting an officer of the law
quote:

I don't know where this video was filmed, but had it been around here, the officer would not have been allowed to use such yelling or aggressive behaviour for something of the sort. He had to first ensure that the person in question was warned of the behaviour if there are no written indications in the area stating the fact that it is not legal to skateboard there. If the child continues to do it, the officer must then take names down and etc. Though in such a case, a a warrant is probably necessary, seeing as he does not need to arrest the person immediately as it's not dangerous.

If I were in the person's position, I would have made it clear that 1, I knew my rights, and 2, he was not in HIS rights to touch me without giving me a reason or showing me a warrant. Saying "you know what you did wrong" is hardly a valid reason for such violent behaviour.
RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-15-2008 at 04:30 AM

quote:
quote:
Hey, maybe I should throw you to the ground, take your keyboard away, and start bitching about your parents and your language used on the forums. Maybe I should, on top of that, not identify myself legally, and harass you some more, forcing you to do something that you don't have to do under any law (like sitting down somewhere). Then maybe I can keep bitching at you and start complaining about a camera that your buddy has every right to use to film me doing all this to you.

lou watch the video carefully. The officer asked for the skateboard which the kid was breaking the law with. The kid refused so the cop grabed the skateboard, still the kid didnt give it, thats when the cop has a right to use force. If i have 5 grams of weed in my hand and the officer says give it and i refuse then he grabs the weed then pushes me to the ground in a struggle and takes it, should i start complaining? He pushed me to the ground. Watch carefully and think about it. You cant really hear what the kid is saying, but the bits you can hear of the kid all you can hear is the kid giving him lip calling him dude man ect,talking back.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Eddie on 02-15-2008 at 07:10 AM

I think the cop had every right to tell the kid not to skateboard in an area hes not meant to, but i think he took it way over the top with the yelling and talking about his parents like that. I agree with the definition that he could be sumwhere else bustin up drug groups and stuff *-)

RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-15-2008 at 07:54 AM

quote:
lou watch the video carefully. The officer asked for the skateboard which the kid was breaking the law with. The kid refused so the cop grabed the skateboard, still the kid didnt give it, thats when the cop has a right to use force. If i have 5 grams of weed in my hand and the officer says give it and i refuse then he grabs the weed then pushes me to the ground in a struggle and takes it, should i start complaining? He pushed me to the ground. Watch carefully and think about it. You cant really hear what the kid is saying, but the bits you can hear of the kid all you can hear is the kid giving him lip calling him dude man ect,talking back.
I don't think he can confiscate the board if he has stopped using it after being told not to.

The cop shoulda came over and said "Hey guys, could you please move on to another area, you're not allowed to skate here, sorry." and the kids should of went "yeah sure dude, see ya" and that'd be the end of it.
Instead the cop starts off the conversation completely wrong and starts abusing the kids.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Th3rmal on 02-15-2008 at 08:02 AM

lol he must've like had some trouble in life, so he took it out on the kids. that cop was totally out of line

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Adeptus on 02-15-2008 at 08:06 AM

Discrate,

Given that you live in Australia, perhaps you are subject to different laws.  However, this video was taken in Baltimore, U.S., where certain individual rights apply, and this officer should is lucky if he only gets off with a suspension.

There is no requirement to surrender your personal property to the police without a valid warrant or a clearly stated intention to impound a vehicle (provided city of Baltimore extends police impounding to skateboards), with a proper receipt provided.  "Give it to me" does not constitute such, thus the kid is fully within his rights to refuse.  "I am going to impound your skateboard pursuant to [insert reference to the local ordinance].  Here is your receipt, this is the address where you pay your fine and pick it up" is how that should have been conducted -- if that power is even granted to the police in Baltimore, which I'd have to look up.  I will also note that at this point, the kid hasn't been cited for any offense.

In most states, there is no legal requirement that one should identify oneself to the police if they are not operating a vehicle that requires a license, or are inside an establishment selling alcohol.  Thus, the kid is probably fully within his rights refusing to answer the various "where are you from" questions.

The intended function of police is to enforce -- and follow -- the law.  It is not to act badass and demand "respect" that citizens aren't legally obligated to give.  It is entirely appropriate that this officer was suspended, and I'd say he should consider himself fortunate if the kid's family doesn't bother to bring a civil suit.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by aNILEator on 02-15-2008 at 09:59 AM

fully agree with adeptus here, and discrate made a very poor irrelevant comparison of confiscating a skateboard to confiscating drugs, i don't think I need to explain the differences of law that apply in such circumstances

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-15-2008 at 11:01 AM

If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated. If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated. And also like in that video we have a problem with skateboarders in the city skateboarding in the wrong place. If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Joa on 02-15-2008 at 01:08 PM

haha.. that kid got pwned by a cop :lol:

but yeah c'mon if you're wearing a police uniform, representing the law you should have a little bit more composure. sure the kid may have pissed him off, but i mean those guys are trained not to get provoked easily (so that they don't abuse their power) and to be honest the physical contact in this situation was unnecessary.  imo.
but it was kinda funny though..

RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-15-2008 at 06:07 PM

quote:
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated. If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated. And also like in that video we have a problem with skateboarders in the city skateboarding in the wrong place. If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.

Did you even read adeptus's post?

quote:
Originally posted by adeptus

However, this video was taken in Baltimore, U.S., where certain individual rights apply
-----
There is no requirement to surrender your personal property to the police without a valid warrant or a clearly stated intention to impound a vehicle (provided city of Baltimore extends police impounding to skateboards), with a proper receipt provided.

RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-16-2008 at 01:31 AM

quote:
quote:

Did you even read adeptus's post?

quote:
Originally posted by adeptus

However, this video was taken in Baltimore, U.S., where certain individual rights apply
-----
There is no requirement to surrender your personal property to the police without a valid warrant or a clearly stated intention to impound a vehicle (provided city of Baltimore extends police impounding to skateboards), with a proper receipt provided.

Yes i did read his post i am just stating what the law here in aus is.
RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by blackjack on 02-16-2008 at 01:46 AM

quote:

The cop shoulda came over and said "Hey guys, could you please move on to another area, you're not allowed to skate here, sorry." and the kids should of went "yeah sure dude, see ya" and that'd be the end of it.

No, because he doesnt want to be called dude nor man :P!
that would begin with another problem :P

I think the kid acted wrong, and the cop too.. :P
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Willz on 02-16-2008 at 02:32 AM

I lol'd at the end of that video.

Yeah the cop took it too far I think, but thats what happens cops do profiling a lot and will be assholes to people they believe fit their vision of a criminal.

Like my suburb has it pretty bad at the moment, why? Oh because I live in the same suburb as where that stupid Corey kid had that party ( if you havent heard about it google the words Narre Warren, 500 people and tool). So now there are cops everywhere, in fact on friday and saturday nights they take their choppers out and start shinning lights on random houses that look to have too much activity.

Some of my friends have been stopped for the most dumbest of reasons, worst one is one of my friends was pulling out of his driveway and a cop stopped him because he was thinking he was robbing the joint. He was a complete dick to him until he put in his key to the house, and even still the douche had the nerve to say he was giving a warning and that he shouldn't deceive the police.

end rant :P

RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-16-2008 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
quote:

The kid has every right to call him dude, the cop has no right to force people to call him what he wants, which is why I said dude in my post, because a good officer wouldn't of made a fuss about it. o;
RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-16-2008 at 08:42 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

The kid has every right to call him dude, the cop has no right to force people to call him what he wants, which is why I said dude in my post, because a good officer wouldn't of made a fuss about it. o;

He has a right to call him that but, it still insults him. I have a right to walk up to you on the street and call you a loser or something like that, but you would be angry and insulted.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by vaccination on 02-16-2008 at 08:46 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He has a right to call him that but, it still insults him. I have a right to walk up to you on the street and call you a loser or something like that, but you would be angry and insulted.
Yes, but there's nothing legally wrong with it, and so I can't do anything legally about it. As a cop he shouldn't let his personal feelings get in the way. "dude" or "man" is hardly insulting is it, he needs to learn to deal with it, he has anger issues and is definitely a bad cop.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Jesus on 02-16-2008 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wikipedia
The term "dude" is an American English slang word generally used informally to address a male individual.
I don't see an insult there, neither in the word "man"

unless it's a woman ofcourse
RE: Officer roughs up teen by prashker on 02-16-2008 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
Originally posted by wikipedia
The term "dude" is an American English slang word generally used informally to address a male individual.
I don't see an insult there, neither in the word "man"

unless it's a woman ofcourse

dudette!
RE: Officer roughs up teen by haydos on 02-16-2008 at 04:04 PM

quote:
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated. If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated.

The anti-hoon laws are totally unconnected with skateboarding, and they aren't covering every illegal act with a car. That's a very broad view you have on the laws, and it's not even relevant to the thread.

quote:
And also like in that video we have a problem with skateboarders in the city skateboarding in the wrong place. If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.

Pretty sure you made that up. They can't use unnecessary force (similarly to the video) just because you don't hand over a skateboard at an officer's demand.
RE: RE: Officer roughs up teen by Discrate on 02-17-2008 at 12:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
quote:
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated. If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated.

The anti-hoon laws are totally unconnected with skateboarding, and they aren't covering every illegal act with a car. That's a very broad view you have on the laws, and it's not even relevant to the thread.

quote:
And also like in that video we have a problem with skateboarders in the city skateboarding in the wrong place. If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.

Pretty sure you made that up. They can't use unnecessary force (similarly to the video) just because you don't hand over a skateboard at an officer's demand.

I know they are unconnected with skateboarding i was just saying.

And no i didn't make it up. I am not saying oh yeh the force he used was correct. But if in melbourne your skateboarding somewhere your not suppose to it can be taken off you. If you refuse some force will be used, i am not sure what they would do, but i am just telling you what i know.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Menthix on 02-17-2008 at 04:54 PM

Same cop: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=867_1203133697

RE: Officer roughs up teen by Jesus on 02-17-2008 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Same cop: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=867_1203133697
they should have called him "dude" in that video :P

anyway, good to hear that it's now being investigated and that he's suspended in the mean time.
to be continued i guess :)
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Ash_ on 02-19-2008 at 03:08 PM

im looking into a career in law enforcement and this is terrible. that officer is a joke.. plus i thought you had to be in top physical condition to be a police officer. after reading the comments on the video it suggests that the officer should have been busting drug dealers etc, this cop would be useless at that as the offenders would run then what will he do? shoot them? you can't shoot them all.

i can see nothing the kid has done to provoke such aggressive behaviour, take the kdis name down and ask him to leave the area and if you catch him again then take it to the next step. if you think smart arse comments should allow the cop to act this way im afraid i can't agree with you. kids will be kids and there is no law against lack of respect lol. i don't even consider calling someone dude or man a sign of lack of respect and ill admit, i find it hard to stop saying words i use alot when i'm asked to.

i would have been even more of a smart arse if i was there and kept my skateboard under the previously mentioned individual rights law. i do like to stir the pot though lol.

RE: Officer roughs up teen by rav0 on 02-27-2008 at 11:33 AM

quote:
The kid was breaking the law by skateboarding where he was skateboarding, so the cop had a right to take the skateboard off him
quote:
So the cop went up to him and grabed the skateboard, the kid held onto it and wouldn't give it over, so the cop had to use force and throw him to the ground.
quote:
he disrespected the officer.
The skateboard belongs to the kid.

Throwing a person on the ground is usually assault. It doesn't matter if you were trying to snatch a skateboard from them, it didn't need to be done and is a crime.

It's not the law to respect people.

quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
Both crossed the line.
Cop clearly has power abuse problems and the kid is just a teenager with attitude, nothing special.
Abusing authority is "crossing the line" (by definition), but teenagers have attitude (it's a fact of life), that's not "crossing the line".

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
I don't know where this video was filmed, but had it been around here, the officer would not have been allowed to use such yelling or aggressive behaviour for something of the sort. He had to first ensure that the person in question was warned of the behaviour if there are no written indications in the area stating the fact that it is not legal to skateboard there. If the child continues to do it, the officer must then take names down and etc.
I expect in most places, including the setting of the video, the officer would not be allowed to act in that manner. Still, not being allowed doesn't stop people from doing things.

quote:
If you are breaking the law with something the police are allowed to confiscateit, well here in australia they are.. Here in victoria, we have laws that are nicknamed "anti-hoon laws" If you are caught drag racing, you car gets confiscated.
That's partly right. A street racer can have their car impounded by a court, for street racing, but the law doesn't saw if you are breaking the law with something it can be confiscated.

quote:
If your car has to much sub woofers etc and its creating lots of noise your car can be confiscated.
If the mechanics of the car is making so much noise that it is deemed defective, it shall be ordered of the road. If you have an audio system that is disturbing people, you will be told to turn it down. If you don't, you may be ordered to leave the area or you may be charged for making too much noise.

quote:
If you are caught your skateboard will be taken off you. If you refuse to give it up,it will be taken off you by force.
What's the law that allows this?

quote:
Originally posted by Joa
haha.. that kid got pwned by a cop :lol:

but yeah c'mon if you're wearing a police uniform, representing the law you should have a little bit more composure. sure the kid may have pissed him off, but i mean those guys are trained not to get provoked easily (so that they don't abuse their power) and to be honest the physical contact in this situation was unnecessary.  imo.
but it was kinda funny though..
When police officers stretch their control past their authority (maybe not as far as Officer Riviera, but beyond what they should) it builds negative images about police. Instead of being seen as people who protect and help, they become people who  hassle and intrude. Of course, once the negative goodwill is built, protecting and helping people becomes harder since they don't want to be around you.

quote:
I have a right to walk up to you on the street and call you a loser or something like that, but you would be angry and insulted.
You are still able to do it.
RE: Officer roughs up teen by Fanta on 02-27-2008 at 05:09 PM

Honestly, that cop seems to be having a very bad day. 

I agree with one of the first posts that the video gives very little information to base much judgment on, but that copper shows disrespect to those 3 kids and then is surprised when he receives attitude back.

Also the officer says: "Obiously your parents dont put a foot in your butt quite enough because you dont know the meaning of respect"

Kicking/slapping/spanking your child would be child abuse, and in many countries would be falling under crime laws.

I once pointed and laughed at a police officer on a bike and said loudly so that  all my friends could hear, that that was the most pathetic police officer I ever saw. (which is obviously clear disrespect, but hey, I was 15)
He stopped, came to me and asked something along the lines of me being a little bitch. I answered that the difference was that I was not a bitch, but he was still, for a fact, a copper.  He left after asking me kindly to be a little more respectful next time, which made me at that time, feel guilty for making fun of him.

I think that any police officer would be better off reacting like the cop in my own story, even though he showed me disrespect in return, he used it to point out its not nice when people make unfounded rude statements about you.

What the cop in that video seems to do, is turn it around and give a very "childish" attitude to those skateboarders, who are teens and obviously are going to react on what that cop is doing. Any and every cop should know the psychological basics behind communication and know how to turn the situation to your advantage, not against you. This cop clearly makes some errors regarding his communication skills.