Shoutbox

Help Buying PC Speakers - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Help Buying PC Speakers (/showthread.php?tid=81676)

Help Buying PC Speakers by Salem on 02-15-2008 at 09:47 AM

Hi All

My PCs speakers have just given up, so am looking into purchaseing new ones. I've been looking online and am seeing many 2.1 speaker systems. I've got a standard sound card on a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop, which is only a stereo card.

So, my question is...Is my understanding current that there'd be no point in buying 2.1 channel speakers as the sound card is only a 2 channel one? Or, will the speakers connect be able to work fully (including the sub-woofer) with a 2.0 channel card?

Also: My current speakers connect via a normal speaker port in the PC, and I see that quite a few speakers connect via USB. Would it be OK to be USB connecting speakers and just fit them into a USB port?

I'm hoping to buy something over the weekend (or next week). Thanks in advance

~Salem(@)

RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by rav0 on 02-18-2008 at 06:12 AM

To drive a set of 2.1 channel computer speakers, you only need a stereo source. The set has it's own crossover and amplifier(s). If you buy a 2.0 system, it will also work, but generally 2.0 systems are inferior to 2.1 systems.

You could buy USB speakers if you wanted. Normal speakers might be better though, as your current sound card will be more reliable, and you will be able to use your speakers with more devices (older computers, portable media players and game systems).

RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by Pyro on 02-23-2008 at 10:16 AM

2.0 is stereo. 2.1 just takes a little bass out and puts it into the sub. so that u get better quality with the volume people crave. cant go wrong with logitech

RE: RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by Salem on 02-24-2008 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyro
2.0 is stereo. 2.1 just takes a little bass out and puts it into the sub. so that u get better quality with the volume people crave. cant go wrong with logitech

Thanks guys. I actually did buy a set of Logitech speakers last weekend.
RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by RaceProUK on 02-24-2008 at 03:31 PM

Another high quality brand is Altec Lansing. In fact, my PC speakers are Altecs, and they sound brilliant at a wide range of volumes. The sub's easily capable of sending vibrations across a house ;)

RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by rav0 on 02-25-2008 at 11:39 AM

Do not forget Creative. They make great quality equipment. Especially if you are looking for a reasonably-priced, compact system, Creative must be considered.

RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by MC Inferno on 02-28-2008 at 07:14 AM

Whats your budget?

RE: Help Buying PC Speakers by M73A on 02-28-2008 at 05:42 PM

i would really recommend getting a surround sound card, i love my speaker set up. saying that, i only have a normal card... but the drivers/software/hardware allows me to change my audio in and mic connectors to rear out and center out. (maybe yours has something like this?)