Shoutbox

[URGENT] my pc blew up? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [URGENT] my pc blew up? (/showthread.php?tid=81711)

[URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-17-2008 at 03:33 AM

i was doing some stuff with Virtual PC 2007 and loading ubuntu into it (ubuntu was downloading while i was playing around with vpc2007)

so i wanted to test it with windows XP.
i popped in the cd and made the VM boot from the cd so i could install XP...

BOOM!
my computer just turns off and i can't seem to turn it on again (tried unplugging the power and turning off main switch)

what's happened? :cry: (i'm on my dad's laptop atm :tongue:)

i really need some help it has important files on it and i have to write a document...

that explains why i'm offline on MSN..
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Chris4 on 02-17-2008 at 03:43 AM

Had a look inside the PC? See if anything is damaged.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by MeEtc on 02-17-2008 at 03:46 AM

maybe it overheated? If it did that, give it an hour or 2, and try again

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Dane on 02-17-2008 at 03:49 AM

Perhaps the Power Supply for the PC went out?  Or, Did the CD explode in the drive perhaps? (I've had that happen, computer wouldnt turn on for about an hour or two after that)

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-18-2008 at 09:31 AM

i unplugged it for the night, plugged it back in and it still doesn't work.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Th3rmal on 02-18-2008 at 10:07 AM

did you smell smoke coming from the computer, when my computer blew up (specifically my graphics card) the whole room smelt of smoke.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-19-2008 at 12:30 AM

no smell or anything...

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Nagamasa on 02-19-2008 at 01:13 AM

Chances are the power supply is dead. I remember I did that once when I was playing Warcraft. Didn't smell anything.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Chancer on 02-19-2008 at 01:15 AM

When it turned off did you notice any sound/noise?
Any signal of eletric variation (a lamp blinking or something)?

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by RaceProUK on 02-19-2008 at 02:31 AM

Is the PC plugged in via a surge protector strip? If so, a surge may have tripped the protector. So the solution is a new strip ;)

RE: RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by rav0 on 02-19-2008 at 02:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Is the PC plugged in via a surge protector strip? If so, a surge may have tripped the protector. So the solution is a new strip ;)
Powerboards can have two bonus features. They are a circuit breaker, and a surge absorber.

A circuit breaker cuts power ("trips") when it detects a fault. After removing the cause of the fault, you can reset the circuit breaker by pressing a button once you have waited one minute.

A surge absorber absorbs surges in supply voltage. The surge protector has a limited life (depends on the amount and severity of absorbed surges). Once the surge protector has been used completely, it ceases to function. The indicator light on the powerboard will not light, and surge protection will not be available, but the powerboard will still be usable.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by kao on 02-19-2008 at 07:43 AM

Just put the hard drive in another computer to get the files you need, then worry about fixing it.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Anubis on 02-19-2008 at 08:57 AM

First thing I'd try is the basics. Try changing the fuse in the computer's plug or simply try another computer plug lead. Chances are you can borrow a fuse from another device around your home (just make sure it is the correct ampage). If the fuse has blown and your PC has had experienced a sudden loss of power the noise can sometimes resemble a 'boom'.

If that doesn't fix your problem look at the power adapter inside your pc. Is there any visible sign of damage?

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by YottabyteWizard on 02-19-2008 at 08:59 AM

VGA problem i belive... if not then probably the monitor got fried? Any noise or signal of booting?

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Phillip on 02-19-2008 at 01:52 PM

This thread is really confusing.

First things first. Do what Alex said and grab the files you need off of the hdd.

If you plug the power cable in and no light comes on, on the motherboard then its the PSU. If that happens but the computer wont turn on (no beep) you have a dead mobo, cpu or ram. If you hear a few beeps (which I'm guessing you don't) you can check the manual to see whats wrong with it.. It will beep in a different sequences for different parts.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-19-2008 at 09:38 PM

my computer won't turn on at all

i don't seem to have the screw driver for the screws on the case :P

they are screws that look like they have round circles on them
so i couldn't get the HDD.

i smashed into the front and could see the inside but there are no visible damage/burns

the surge protector/strip is all ok.

i hear some electric shocks after i plug it in and press the power button.

my HDD light, keyboard, and mouse lights glow up when i plug in my USB hub :\

my PSP would normally change to "Please wait" in the usb connection even if my computer is off, but it doesn't.

i shouldn't be on my dad's laptop  right now :P

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by MeEtc on 02-19-2008 at 09:58 PM

Then the power supply probably either blew a fuse, or simply needs to be replaced.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-19-2008 at 10:55 PM

ive managed to get the hdd w/ help :d now i just need another computer..

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Spunky on 02-19-2008 at 11:10 PM

Anubis probably made the most sensible comment so far... First port of call is to check the fuse. IIRC 5 amp should be enough (1Kw = ~4.1 amps). If you can take the side panel of your PC, you might want to try a new watch battery. My mates computer stopped working at it turned out to be this BIOS battery. Might also be worth a quick inspection of the power cables (to and from the power supply). Failing all that you could find someone willing to PAT test it for you (Although I doubt you'll know anyone with a tester or willing to help) ;)

Make sure all wires leading to your motherboard and drives are securely clipped in. When trying the power you say you hear "electric shocks". I think this may be electricity building up normally and then dissapating through the earth. (This happens if you turn of your PC and then flip the power switch on the back then proceed to try and turn it back on).  You should also notice the fan spin briefly.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-20-2008 at 12:46 AM

i think i may have found the problem.

the power supply is all OK.

when i turn on the PC, the fan on top of the cpu just turns alittle and nothing happens after that

so i think it's the CPU that died. (probably can't handle the VM :()

might get a P4 to replace it

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Nathan on 02-20-2008 at 12:57 AM

Whoah, hold your horses.

The cpu, wouldn't and shouldn't stop everything else powering up. I very much doubt its the CPU.

It sounds like its the PSU.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-20-2008 at 01:53 AM

but when i turn off the main switch i hear the mobo turn off so it cant be the psu

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Voldemort on 02-20-2008 at 02:31 AM

get a voltmeter on a molex connector and check if it's working?

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Jesus on 02-20-2008 at 02:34 AM

it can still be the PSU, every PSU has more than one output voltage, so it could be that one of them died. I'd try one from another PC before running to the store to get new parts. Actually, I would recommend not to buy any new parts until you're sure it will solve your problem.

The fact that your CPU fan turns a little after turning the PC on does not necessarily point to a faulty CPU in any way. The CPU fan is connected to your mainboard, not to the CPU. In fact, if I cold-boot my pc, the CPU fan also spins only a little before stopping again (smart fan control by the bios, temperature controlled) so that could even be normal behaviour.
How about your PSU fan, is that one spinning? (although that one could be temperature controlled too)

Anyway, if a PSU from another PC does not solve your problem, try removing as much of the hardware as possible (eg. use only one memory bank(try all slots and banks), use onboard vga (if available) and remove the AGP/PCIe card, remove extra pci cards, hdds and cd/dvd/floppy drives, unplug usb devices (except mouse and keyboard ofcourse:P), etc.) and see if it works.
If it does, put the hardware back one piece at a time until you identify the culprit.
If it still does not work, try borrowing parts until you find out what's causing the problem. If you can't borrow the parts it might be better to return it to the shop rather than buying new parts without knowing if they will solve your problem (unless you planned on buying them anyway)

Bit off-topic, my sisters pc wouldn't boot yesterday. No beeps, no errors, monitor displayed "signal cable not connected" message only when the pc was turned on, only the fans would start spinning (no smart fan control :P), turned out my dad forgot to plug in the 4-pin atx 12V connector after switching her PSU :P

RE: RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Phillip on 02-20-2008 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
stuff
Fuse..? Never seen a fuse near my computer. Also the CMOS battery just has that little bit of power so it can load your settings each time you boot. The computer should still work without the battery (I know for a fact they do in newer computers) and even if it was the battery the computer should still beep indicating the problem.

It looks like the PSU is tripping every time you turn the PC on. Go grab another one and try it. If you don't know what you are doing then just take it to someone that does know what they are doing.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Nathan on 02-20-2008 at 03:40 PM

All the CMOS battery does, is powers the little bios chip to stop it from dying (am i right?)

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Jesus on 02-20-2008 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
All the CMOS battery does, is powers the little bios chip to stop it from dying (am i right?)
depends on what you mean by "dying"

If the battery is removed or empty, all bios settings in the CMOS are lost. You'll probably notice this first by looking at your clock, because the hardware clock will start from 0:00 every time you boot.
At least that's how it used to be in earlier days ;)
Modern PCs often have a 5V standby voltage, which can also power the CMOS, so as long as they are plugged in and the PSU is switched on, they will keep their settings, even without a CMOS battery. (I use this 5v standby voltage to charge my phone through USB while my pc is turned off)
The PC will function, regardless of the amount of energy left in the CMOS battery.

edit: On topic :P: roflmao, to be able to test all pins on you power supply, take a look at this article for info on how to "power it on" without having it plugged in your mainboard (I destroyed my mainboard once while trying to measure the PSU while it was still attached to my mainboard... spark, poof :S)
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Nathan on 02-20-2008 at 03:58 PM

Yeah thats it. To stop the BIOS from losing its memory

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Anubis on 02-21-2008 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Fuse..? Never seen a fuse near my computer.
The plug that you use to plug in your computer will have a fuse in. If I'm not mistaken the power supply in your pc should be fused as well.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-23-2008 at 04:08 AM

so my solution is a new psu then?

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Pyro on 02-23-2008 at 10:10 AM

yes thats what i would do. it is usually the problem. while you do it just check that there is not alot of dust no the ram slots/video card slot.

also download vmware. VPC doesnt like linux..

<small>i guess this is one problem that can't be solved by formatting and installing linux. XD...... for shame linux.. <small>

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Phillip on 02-23-2008 at 11:04 AM

The problem is most probably the PSU. I don't think anyone is willing to confirm this as they don't want to tell you to go buy a brand new PSU then it still doesn't work.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by rav0 on 02-24-2008 at 02:04 AM

If you would buy a PSU from a computer shop, take your computer there and try a different PSU to see if it works.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Spunky on 02-24-2008 at 03:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Fuse..? Never seen a fuse near my computer.
The plug that you use to plug in your computer will have a fuse in. If I'm not mistaken the power supply in your pc should be fused as well.

Yeah, I meant the fuse in the plug. It's unlikely to be the one inside the PSU. I thought it might be that on mine and received to very nasty shocks after knocking myself into the earth wire inside (Aren't I lucky around a bunch of 415v circuits at work :s). Any warranty you may have for the PSU will be void though if you open it up (Which I wouldn't want you to do anyway for the reasons I just said) ^o)

Try a different power cable, PSU, fuses etc before even considering a new PSU. It could be one of a whole bunch of things

EDIT: In fact, just try (with the PC off) flipping the switch at the back to off, press the power button on the front (the fan should spin shortly), flip the switch back and try turning the PC on... I seem to remember that working once.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by KRB on 02-24-2008 at 05:57 AM

it could also be a corupted harddrive

RE: RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by ryxdp on 02-24-2008 at 06:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pyro
also download vmware. VPC doesnt like linux..

:undecided:

That is true, VPC does not play well with Linux, but there is a workaround for it on Ubuntu, namely, the i8042.noloop technique. It's not too conventional, and a little bit slow, but it works. So really, you could choose either of them (VPC or vmware) but in the long run, it would make little to no difference.

When I tried vmware Compiz Fusion wouldn't work...but that's probably my GeForce4 Ti 4400 being elderly.

quote:
Originally posted by KRB

Most likely not, if his HDD had been corrupted he wouldn't have been able to recover his files.

quote:
Aren't I lucky around a bunch of 415v circuits at work

Hehe. I've been shocked at least twice (that I can vividly remember) with 240v AC...one of those times I took out a whole circuit in my house :/

Ow.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by MeEtc on 02-24-2008 at 06:20 AM

quote:
Yeah, I meant the fuse in the plug. It's unlikely to be the one inside the PSU. I thought it might be that on mine and received to very nasty shocks after knocking myself into the earth wire inside (Aren't I lucky around a bunch of 415v circuits at work :s). Any warranty you may have for the PSU will be void though if you open it up (Which I wouldn't want you to do anyway for the reasons I just said) ^o)

NEVER, EVER, EVER open a power supply even when its unplugged, unless you're trained to do so! PSU's contain quite a few large-capacity capacitors that can give you just as much of a shock (or even burn) as bare wires.

Same thing goes for CRT monitors

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by RaceProUK on 02-24-2008 at 03:17 PM

If you absolutely have to open a PSU, it's worth leaving it plugged into a mains socket that is off, to allow stored charge to drain through the earth connector.

RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Spunky on 02-24-2008 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
If you absolutely have to open a PSU, it's worth leaving it plugged into a mains socket that is off, to allow stored charge to drain through the earth connector.

I left mine in and on ^o) Too much hassle to keep removing it or switching it off. I learnt my lesson :p
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by vaccination on 02-24-2008 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KRB
PC would still boot, just not into windows
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Spunky on 02-24-2008 at 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by KRB

Would probably hang when it auto-detects your hard-drive
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by vaccination on 02-24-2008 at 04:47 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
Originally posted by KRB

Would probably hang when it auto-detects your hard-drive
But the pc would still be on, so it has no relevance to this thread, because the pc doesn't turn on at all.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by roflmao456 on 02-24-2008 at 10:31 PM

:grin:
me and my dad took my computer to a computer shop and they replaced the psu for $30. now my computer's up again :grin::grin:

thanks to everyone!

RE: RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by rav0 on 02-25-2008 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
me and my dad took my computer to a computer shop and they replaced the psu for $30. now my computer's up again :grin::grin:

thanks to everyone!
I hope that was the installation fee only and you bought the PSU as well. If you have a $30 PSU it's gonna break again.
RE: RE: RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Phillip on 02-25-2008 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456

thanks to everyone!
I hope that was the installation fee only and you bought the PSU as well. If you have a $30 PSU it's gonna break again.
It will last a few years, and if he cleans the PSU out occasionally (with compressed air) it should last alot longer. The problem isn't the PSU it's what the PSU outputs. Some of the cheaper PSUs put out a higher voltage along the 12v rail which can damage parts like the mobo and CPU over a certain amount of time.

Anyway most Computer shops wouldn't stock such dodgy PSUs. Glad to see you got it working.
RE: [URGENT] my pc blew up? by Jesus on 02-25-2008 at 01:16 PM

lol I always had PSU's in that price range (only replaced the fan for an adjustable, silent one), never had problems with it :)