Shoutbox

WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures (/showthread.php?tid=81722)

WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by tokinux on 02-17-2008 at 08:02 PM

i've had this problem for awhile now. i create a 96x96 image to use as my display picture and it doesn't even matter what i save it as, .gif, .png, .jpg.. after awhile of being logged out, when i come back to msn, a second, lower quality display pic has been created in my list of display pictures and the crappy version has been automatically selected. i delete it and go back to my original but it keeps happening.

from what i know, the d/p's are stored on msn's servers. is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Windows Live! Messenger v8.5.1302.1018
Messenger Plus! Live v4.50.0.312

RE: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by deAd on 02-17-2008 at 08:12 PM

This is a known bug, and there is no fix currently available for it.

RE: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by tokinux on 02-17-2008 at 08:27 PM

wut if there wuz sum sick programmer at M$ who made that bug on purpose.. and he monitors the ppl deleting the crappy d/p and going back to their originals OVER AND OVER for yearz and he jus sits there laughing maniacally with slobber dribblin down his chin

RE: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by Patchou on 02-17-2008 at 09:19 PM

lol... now that's a possibility I never imagined, thank you for giving me an alternative (now that wtbw has left me, I'm missing this kind of insight).

As for the bug itself, I noticed it too ad it's espcially annoying when your picture has big areas of solid color. The problem seems to be coming from the new roaming features of Messenger. Your dp is sent to the server, its recompressed (for some dumb reason associated with bandwidth I imagine), and when you sign back in, it's sent back to you in case you'd be on a different computer. Disabling the romaing feature should fix the problem.

RE: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by V@no on 08-25-2010 at 12:46 AM

I know this is a very old topic, yet the bug still exists. Any news/tutorials how to fix it?

Thank you.

RE: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by Chrissy on 08-25-2010 at 12:51 AM

This happens when you set WLM to use the same DP and personal message every-ware you sign-in. The file 'reduces' quality so it can be sent over the network using low amounts of bandwidth. 

To 'fix' this, open Tools > Options > Sign-In
Un-check 'Use the same Personal Message and Display Picture wherever I sign in'.

RE: WLM creating duplicate, low-quality display pictures by V@no on 08-25-2010 at 03:03 AM

Thank you very much!(Y)

P.S.
Wish MS would be smart enough to save the MD5 or something like that of the original image, so it can be checked against currently selected, before it downloads low quality one...