Shoutbox

Outlook & Hotmail Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Outlook & Hotmail Question (/showthread.php?tid=81732)

Outlook & Hotmail Question by M73A on 02-18-2008 at 04:46 PM

Why is it when i try and use my hotmail account through outlook it does this:

why isnt hotmail linked with the 'personal folders' of outlook

screenshot:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=888773

RE: Outlook & Hotmail Question by MeEtc on 02-18-2008 at 04:53 PM

Same thing happens with Gmail to me. Its because the Personal Folders is a database within a .pst file on your computer. Your Hotmail mail still exists on the web (although Outlook will keep an offline version of it too in a separate .pst)

RE: Outlook & Hotmail Question by M73A on 02-18-2008 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Same thing happens with Gmail to me. Its because the Personal Folders is a database within a .pst file on your computer. Your Hotmail mail still exists on the web (although Outlook will keep an offline version of it too in a separate .pst)
i just deleted my gmail acount settings because they had linked with personal folders, in a hope that hotmail would take its place but it didnt. hm. must be able to do it if my gmail did it
RE: Outlook & Hotmail Question by MeEtc on 02-18-2008 at 05:50 PM

Gmail is either going to use POP or IMAP. If you used POP, then yes, messages will be delivered to a personal folders file. I'm using IMAP, and don't have that option. Hotmail uses a special mode within Outlook that uses HTTP to connect, and I'm not sure how limiting that will be.

RE: Outlook & Hotmail Question by M73A on 02-18-2008 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
Gmail is either going to use POP or IMAP. If you used POP, then yes, messages will be delivered to a personal folders file. I'm using IMAP, and don't have that option. Hotmail uses a special mode within Outlook that uses HTTP to connect, and I'm not sure how limiting that will be.
ah ok, well thats poo!
cheers anyways :-)