Shoutbox

Theory on making messages infinite length - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Theory on making messages infinite length (/showthread.php?tid=81765)

Theory on making messages infinite length by Nathan on 02-20-2008 at 12:06 AM

Well is it possible to remove the lock after 1500 characters (or whatever it is) and let the user keep typing, and just split the messages up.

I'd use it, it'd be really useful :)

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Lou on 02-20-2008 at 12:25 AM

There would definitely have to be a message that would say "Message max length reached: Splitting message" and it would have to be able to find the last word before the split, so words aren't split in half.

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Nathan on 02-20-2008 at 12:56 AM

Yeah, maybe theres someway you can incorporate a HR (horisontal rule), where its splits

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Lou on 02-20-2008 at 01:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Yeah, maybe theres someway you can incorporate a HR (horisontal rule), where its splits
or simply send it as a new message, which is most likely more possible/easy,
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Patchou on 02-20-2008 at 04:10 PM

sure thing. That's something I wanted to do a long time ago but then decided otherwise to prevent flooding. 1100 characters is already a lot for a message... in what occasion would you want to send more? (I need to be convinced this is for the greater good :p)

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Jesus on 02-20-2008 at 04:37 PM

copy/paste e.g. large articles (although you could send the URL or file instead)
I can't think of another use tbh

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Spunky on 02-20-2008 at 04:54 PM

Sending large amounts of code without "txt-ing it up" :p

It wouldn't really be able to be used to spam people as they could just copy&paste then send the message x amount of times anyway. Just make it like a text message and set it to so many "pages"

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Nathan on 02-20-2008 at 05:27 PM

Yeah, I used to help people with php alot, and there was never anything that annoyed me more is when I had to split the code up (making it harder for the other person to understand)

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by RaceProUK on 02-20-2008 at 07:12 PM

Paste the code in a txt file and send that ;)

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Spunky on 02-20-2008 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
Sending large amounts of code without "txt-ing it up"

quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
Sending large amounts of code without "txt-ing it up" :p

Gets annoying :(
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by deAd on 02-20-2008 at 09:22 PM

I think this could be used too easily for flooding....usually SP3's 5000 characters are enough for articles and code *-)

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by RebelSean on 02-20-2008 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
sure thing. That's something I wanted to do a long time ago but then decided otherwise to prevent flooding. 1100 characters is already a lot for a message... in what occasion would you want to send more? (I need to be convinced this is for the greater good :p)

To be completely honest, I think it'd help a lot of students who help each other with essays, research, etc etc over messenger. I know quite a few people who do it in highschool and college around here both. I'd personally would love if I could simply copy and past it rather than sending it. Would save time.
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Patchou on 02-21-2008 at 03:38 AM

well, the problem is that if you want to send a lot of text, even if the message gets split-up, you'll get "Contact says:" in the middle several times which would be annoying.

Here is an idea: what would you think if Plus! simply detected you're trying to past more than the maximum amount of characters allowed and automatically send it as a text file to your contact? this could be used as some kind of enhanced-paste feature and be extended for example to paste pictures, html pages, etc... ?

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Jesus on 02-21-2008 at 03:59 AM

That would be even better IMO for the reason you mentioned already ;)
I'd sure like to see that in a future release, especially when images will be supported too. (lol screenshot sender sort of partially included in plus!)

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Matti on 02-21-2008 at 04:55 PM

That's one very nice idea, Patchou! :)
Add an option to do it automatically, give us some setting to change the text file's name (eventually with some tags for date or number) or a window which lets us specify the name and you have an awesome feature! :D

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Nathan on 02-21-2008 at 06:18 PM

Or even maybe, it could detect if the other user has plus, and if it does send them as split messages and then msgplus on the other end, recode it so its in one message?

Is it possible

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by ArkaneArkade on 02-22-2008 at 02:18 AM

I don't think theres any real way to detect if a contact is using Plus! except by sending a ping request, which means you'd need to wait for a response before deciding whether to split the message or tell you its over the limit.  I'm also not too sure how much control Plus actually has over the "Contact says" and it might be extra hassle for Patchou!

Besides I think the text file idea sounds absolutely great.  Perhaps a similar idea could also be used for files - if you try to send a file and it's of a dodgy extension (I get it frequently despite disabling all the options) maybe it could automatically rename it to (and from on other end)  Filename.ext.pluszip or something to make it acceptable.

RE: RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by kaourika on 02-24-2008 at 01:45 AM

quote:
1100 characters is already a lot for a message... in what occasion would you want to send more?
Hah! Typical male response. Chicks can find plenty of reasons to be so verbose *grins* :D

Pretty much all of my friends enjoy writing as a hobby, as do tons of others in the "creative young adult" type demographic (think Livejournal and DeviantArt kinda people). Predictably, the text limit makes sharing stories frustrating. You're copying chunks from Word or whatever several paragraphs at a time, and it's impossible to judge where your writing is going to get cropped mid-sentance. It turns a would-be simple ctrl+c, ctrl+p affair into an editorial process. DX

Also, as already mentioned, sending bits of articles and code. In my own experience, both of these things have been frustrated by the text limit before.

In essence, I really do think that the legitimate reasons one might be sharing large chunks of text FAR outweigh instances of flooding.  Every single one of my contacts has been been stymied at some point or another by the text limit while talking with me. Conversely, I've never had a problem with flooding -- and if I did? the block button is right there.

quote:
well, the problem is that if you want to send a lot of text, even if the message gets split-up, you'll get "Contact says:" in the middle several times which would be annoying.

Here is an idea: what would you think if Plus! simply detected you're trying to past more than the maximum amount of characters allowed and automatically send it as a text file to your contact?
Hate to be a killjoy, but that sounds way more obtuse than just "Contact says" D: Especially because the eye just glazes over those tags during a convo. Of course, more functions are always nice, and I'm sure it would have its uses in some circumstances. But if such a function was integrated, I hope it would be possible to turn it off. Sorry to be flippant, but... generally, when I'm sending text via Msg window, it's because I just wanna send it via Msg window =P There are half a dozen OTHER ways I could do it and not have to worry about the text limit at all, but I choose to do it through a WLM wnd because that's how I want to do it.

HOWEVER...
quote:
this could be used as some kind of enhanced-paste feature and be extended for example to paste pictures, html pages, etc... ?
I would LOVE if when you CTRL+V'd (or even drag-dropped) an image into a window, it put it into shared folders instead of inititiaizing the old fashioned style image transfer. You should probably make that turn-offable in the options, though, as I'm sure many people prefer the simplicity of the old way -- not to mention sharing folders sometimes goes offline for long periods of time.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post *cough* Hope I made my point here. :D I'll just finish by saying that the text limit is by far my #1 frustration with WLM, and I'd be overjoyed to see it gone.
RE: RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by stu on 03-01-2008 at 07:05 PM

quote:

Of course theres always the option in WLM itself to "Group sequential messages from each contact together". If the user has that set up, there would be no noticable breaks in the text, other then the line break where it has been split up which is hardly anything to complain about imo
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Quantum on 03-01-2008 at 09:34 PM

How about this for plus users only:

Say the limit is 10 characters.

I say this:

lolkjijuhghytgh

when i post it plus makes it

lolkjiju::

sends it then sends

::hghytgh

plus notices the :: :: and joins then together to make one big one?

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Voldemort on 03-01-2008 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
How about this for plus users only:

Say the limit is 10 characters.

I say this:

lolkjijuhghytgh

when i post it plus makes it

lolkjiju::

sends it then sends

::hghytgh

plus notices the :: :: and joins then together to make one big one?

IIRC plus doesn't have control over messages in conversation windows...
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Quantum on 03-01-2008 at 10:23 PM

It can be done, right? Plus can just change what WLM receives. Correct me if i'm wrong.

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Voldemort on 03-02-2008 at 02:51 AM

quote:
It can be done, right? Plus can just change what WLM receives. Correct me if i'm wrong.
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort

IIRC plus doesn't have control over messages in conversation windows...

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by John Anderton on 03-02-2008 at 04:53 AM

I haven't read the whole thread but I just got an idea after reading the first post.
1100 is the char limit, right? Now I paste a message that's 1500 chars long so Plus! Takes the first 1090 chars appends special hax string saying something like "to be continued" then sends it. Then it does the same for the remaining 410 chars only a string is added to the beginning to say that this is the continuation of the previous message.

Say the message is abcdefgh
My client sends abcd*1/2* and efgh*2/2*
Here * is a single special char or a set of special chars that don't show up in normal messages.
The recipient's client sees the *1/2* and waits for the second part.
If it arrives before a time out period, both messages are joint and shown. Else only the messages that showed up before the time out are shown :)

Seems like a good idea to me. What does the Patch think? :P

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Voldemort on 03-02-2008 at 05:42 AM

I'm still stubborn on the idea that plus can't do that kind of changes, based on that old /echo request thread that i can't cite.

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by markee on 03-02-2008 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
I'm still stubborn on the idea that plus can't do that kind of changes, based on that old /echo request thread that i can't cite.
Just the fact that when changing the message value of a recieved message through a script can only be equal or less than the original length is a good enough way of showing that there is a limitation.  If Patchou had the ability to make a recieved message longer than he would have given this ability to scripters already (as it has already been asked for).
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Quantum on 03-02-2008 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I haven't read the whole thread but I just got an idea after reading the first post.
1100 is the char limit, right? Now I paste a message that's 1500 chars long so Plus! Takes the first 1090 chars appends special hax string saying something like "to be continued" then sends it. Then it does the same for the remaining 410 chars only a string is added to the beginning to say that this is the continuation of the previous message.

Say the message is abcdefgh
My client sends abcd*1/2* and efgh*2/2*
Here * is a single special char or a set of special chars that don't show up in normal messages.
The recipient's client sees the *1/2* and waits for the second part.
If it arrives before a time out period, both messages are joint and shown. Else only the messages that showed up before the time out are shown :)

Seems like a good idea to me. What does the Patch think? :P

I just said that....
RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by vaccination on 03-02-2008 at 09:41 AM

quote:

I just said that....

quote:

RE: Theory on making messages infinite length by Quantum on 03-02-2008 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

I just said that....

quote:

I know.

I was just telling him that i said that.