Shoutbox

Blu Ray won - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Blu Ray won (/showthread.php?tid=81774)

Blu Ray won by Jarrod on 02-20-2008 at 06:01 AM

blu ray won

now the xbox 360 has nothing on the ps3

what do you think microsoft will do now that everyone will be buying ps3s to play blu ray, and not xbox 360s?

RE: Blu Ray won by blackjack on 02-20-2008 at 06:18 AM

360 > *
Buying Ps3 because of Blu ray... ermm na :P

I think 360 is ok now, :P it wont affect Ms

RE: Blu Ray won by High Speed Chaser on 02-20-2008 at 06:39 AM

You can buy a Blu ray player so you don't need a PS3 to watch Blu ray discs. Thus it wont really affect me.

RE: Blu Ray won by Discrate on 02-20-2008 at 07:11 AM

The xbox 360 is safe, it's not like blueray winning will affect the games etc. I think that the next xbox will be blueray.

RE: Blu Ray won by Th3rmal on 02-20-2008 at 07:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blackjack
Buying Ps3 because of Blu ray... ermm na (Smilie)
quote:
Originally posted by High Speed Chaser
You can buy a Blu ray player so you don't need a PS3 to watch Blu ray discs. Thus it wont really affect me.
IIRC The Ps3 is like the cheapest and best option for people who want a Blu-Ray player in Australia atm. and the good thing about the ps3 is that it does other things that bluray players dont, for example play games
quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
I think that the next xbox will be blueray
till then Ps3 FTW :refuck:
RE: Blu Ray won by Jarrod on 02-20-2008 at 07:30 AM

quote:
The xbox 360 is safe, it's not like blueray winning will affect the games etc. I think that the next xbox will be blueray.
well it does cos new games won't be able to use hd dvd discs:P

ps3s used to be cheaper than blu ray players that was the scam to get you to buy one
RE: RE: Blu Ray won by Discrate on 02-20-2008 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
quote:
well it does cos new games won't be able to use hd dvd discs:P

ps3s used to be cheaper than blu ray players that was the scam to get you to buy one

barely any xbox games are in hd
RE: Blu Ray won by Th3rmal on 02-20-2008 at 07:47 AM

quote:

so ur saying bluray players prices dropped dramatically all of a sudden? the cheapest one i could find is like 17 dollars cheaper than the 40gb Ps3
RE: Blu Ray won by Eddie on 02-20-2008 at 08:29 AM

Xbox 360 > PS3, simply because i think the online play is much better on Xbox 360, and also Microsoft can just as easily change to a Blu-Ray External Player if they wanted to *-) But Blu-Ray has definately won this format war :)

RE: Blu Ray won by Th3rmal on 02-20-2008 at 08:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Xbox 360 > PS3, simply because i think the online play is much better on Xbox 360, and also Microsoft can just as easily change to a Blu-Ray External Player if they wanted to *-) But Blu-Ray has definately won this format war :)
external players cost money, just like all other external stuff on xbox such as the HD DVD player or the hard drive. PS3 has a built in minimum 20gb hard drive and a built in Blue Ray player.
therefore built-in > * and external < everything
RE: Blu Ray won by Volv on 02-20-2008 at 08:56 AM

Fanboys aside (i.e. ignoring every post above this one :P), the volume and quality of games released on the 360 (BioShock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey) in 2007 were [far] superior to PS3s which was basically limited to Uncharted, the rest of which were unfortunately flops for the PS3 (ahem, Lair).

Whilst Blu-ray has won the battle I do not believe that this will particularly move many PS3s in the short term future as whilst the technology is great, it is not yet a 'must have' and in many households is still redundant technology. However, the fact that many of PS3's promised games which have unfaithfully been delayed are supposedly coming this year, any changes in units sold will not necessarily reflect Blu-ray's victory.
I dont think that people should be associating Blu-ray vs HD DVD as PS3 vs 360 as it's simply not true, how many 360 users have actually bought the HD DVD peripheral? I'm sure the answer is along the lines of 'little to none' yet people are still buying the 360.

RE: Blu Ray won by Phillip on 02-20-2008 at 09:35 AM

Blu-ray drives are getting cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't really matter. I would only get the 360 because they are the "best bang for your buck". But then again PC > *.

RE: Blu Ray won by Th3rmal on 02-20-2008 at 09:36 AM

Nintendo FTW :P lol joke

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
But then again PC > *.
I think we can all agree on that
RE: Blu Ray won by Eddie on 02-20-2008 at 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Blu-ray drives are getting cheaper and cheaper so it doesn't really matter. I would only get the 360 because they are the "best bang for your buck". But then again PC > *.
Completely agreed, if you have a computer thats up for the best games of today, some people don't have all the up to date graphics cards and stuff, like me till my new one comes :P So 360 is the next best thing :P
RE: Blu Ray won by vaccination on 02-20-2008 at 10:05 AM

I think you're all idiots. The Xbox doesn't use HD DVDs. That's why if you want to play HD DVDs on it you have to buy an extension. MS knows people wouldn't want extra money put on their console for a player not many people wanted. Unlike Sony. The PS3 is still crap and has not gotten any better since the death of HD DVD. It still has a limited game base, most of which are crap, and since it's a GAMING console, I'd say that's a major flaw.

MS can easily make a Blu dvd add on to the 360, just like they did for HD DVD, I don't think they're going to suffer very much.

Also, the discs haven't taken off much anyway, most people are still happy with their standard DVDs

RE: Blu Ray won by Th3rmal on 02-20-2008 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Also, the discs haven't taken off much anyway, most people are still happy with their standard DVDs
isnt this the case when most new formats are made, for a while the previous format is still more popular
RE: Blu Ray won by vaccination on 02-20-2008 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
isnt this the case when most new formats are made, for a while the previous format is still more popular
Yes? My point was that there's plenty of time for deals to be made and blu ray to be incorporated into the 360, not to the mention that rumour has it MS is releasing a new console in 2010 anyway.
RE: Blu Ray won by joemailey on 02-20-2008 at 10:32 AM

1million hd dvd player/drive(including the addon drive for 360) sales
vs
10million + blu ray players/drive/ps3 sales.

This is why hd dvd failed.

Ps3 a failure as a games console? maybe, but it can only get better with GTA and MSG coming.
Sony made blu ray and they put it in they ps3 bcos they new thats what they would have to do to win the format war.

After losing to VHS last time, they weren't gonna make the same mistake and they got that start because ps3 sold with a blu ray drive.

Mighten be good selection of games yet but it won sony the format war plus a lot of money now hd dvd will not be around.

Sony learnt a lot from the last format war and won this one hands down with experience!

RE: Blu Ray won by vaccination on 02-20-2008 at 10:35 AM

I think you'll find Blu Ray won due to Warner and such big films companies saying they were going Blu. Once they announced it, everyone followed suit like sheep. I'm not saying Blu is crap, I'm just saying it won't affect the xbox much.

RE: Blu Ray won by joemailey on 02-20-2008 at 10:39 AM

that was part of the reason also HD DVD didnt really go down to well, from the start.

Blu ray took of better.

It won't really effect 360 as you say just look at the Wii for example.
People will go for what suits them best.

RE: Blu Ray won by aNILEator on 02-20-2008 at 10:41 AM

DVD's are still brilliant, I don't actually think it'll die for a very long time now, if ever. everything should have that backwards compatibility, for various reasons, we've all bought massive amounts of DVD's now and they're good and cheap with plenty of sales going on all the time, the quality of films cannot be 'upscaled' to HD so whether the media whoring companies decide to just put on a larger dimensioned original source video I dunno, it just seems dodgy venture to me at the moment, by all means have an HD format for new films, but keep DVD going! The majority of people who can actually utilise HD * at the moment is very slim, there are no HD broadcasts past a Sky TV Box in the UK and whilst there are the games consoles that's about it that is worth getting if you have a big HDTV.

RE: Blu Ray won by Jarrod on 02-20-2008 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
DVD's are still brilliant, I don't actually think it'll die for a very long time now, if ever. everything should have that backwards compatibility, for various reasons, we've all bought massive amounts of DVD's now and they're good and cheap with plenty of sales going on all the time, the quality of films cannot be 'upscaled' to HD so whether the media whoring companies decide to just put on a larger dimensioned original source video I dunno, it just seems dodgy venture to me at the moment, by all means have an HD format for new films, but keep DVD going! The majority of people who can actually utilise HD * at the moment is very slim, there are no HD broadcasts past a Sky TV Box in the UK and whilst there are the games consoles that's about it that is worth getting if you have a big HDTV.
we get some shows in HD & Video ezy offers blu ray movies i'm sure
i also can't burn my new 16gb sd card to a dvd
RE: Blu Ray won by joemailey on 02-20-2008 at 11:07 AM

quote:
i also can't burn my new 16gb sd card to a dvd

why would you want to lol?

u cud use 2 dvds :P

RE: Blu Ray won by Jarrod on 02-20-2008 at 11:17 AM

so i can format my sd card and put it bak in my camera:P

RE: Blu Ray won by linx05 on 02-20-2008 at 11:22 AM

Winning doesn't mean you are better ;). Remember that kids.

I think it will be a long, long time before the new technology surpasses DVD player/disc sales. DVD + Upscaling DVD player = better than Blu-Ray.

RE: RE: Blu Ray won by joemailey on 02-20-2008 at 11:24 AM

quote:
so i can format my sd card and put it bak in my camera:P

I have a 1TB nas box for that :)

as i said 2 DL dvd's will sort you out.

RE: Blu Ray won by RaceProUK on 02-20-2008 at 07:19 PM

quote:
The PS3 wasn't priced to compete with Blu-Ray players, it was priced to compete with the XBox 360.

Anyway, you're forgetting the original PS2 was one of the cheapest DVD players in 2000.

PS: Before you blame me for being a Sony fanboy, I have an XBox 360 too. XBox Live hands PSN its ass on a plate any day ;)
RE: Blu Ray won by Chrono on 02-20-2008 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
IIRC The Ps3 is like the cheapest and best option for people who want a Blu-Ray player in Australia atm.
yeah but that will most likely change now :P
RE: Blu Ray won by Justin on 02-20-2008 at 10:58 PM

I much rather my PS3, my 360 just sits there and collects dust, my N64 gets used more than the 360 no joke, I just dont like the 360, i have no idea why, i just dont.

RE: Blu Ray won by Chrono on 02-20-2008 at 11:16 PM

sell it (to me :))

RE: Blu Ray won by Volv on 02-21-2008 at 04:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I much rather my PS3
Really, all 2 games? :p
RE: Blu Ray won by Anubis on 02-21-2008 at 09:32 AM

My laptop has a HD-DVD drive built in, lol, so if as these trends continue I'll have a very useless function at my disposal. Luckally it wasn't a really big feature why I got this laptop it was more of a 'bonus'.

RE: Blu Ray won by RaceProUK on 02-21-2008 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
My laptop has a HD-DVD drive built in, lol, so if as these trends continue I'll have a very useless function at my disposal. Luckally it wasn't a really big feature why I got this laptop it was more of a 'bonus'.
Toshiba laptop?
quote:
Originally posted by Volv
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I much rather my PS3
Really, all 2 games? :p
The catalogue's getting bigger; I have 7 games so far, with a few downloaded from PSN, and this year will see the next Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid. The latter will sell a  lot of PS3s I think.