Shoutbox

Cable/ADSL Router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cable/ADSL Router (/showthread.php?tid=81899)

Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-25-2008 at 09:50 AM

can i use cable internet with an adsl router?

if not where can i get a good cable router from (in melbourne, no net shops plz)

btw if it is of any help, im with Optus

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Quantum on 02-25-2008 at 04:08 PM

No.

Not if it doesn't have a internet or WAN port.

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by tony on 02-25-2008 at 04:28 PM

what kind of router it is?

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 05:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tony
what kind of router it is?
what do u mean?
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by NiteMare on 02-26-2008 at 05:30 AM

not its like trying to use a ethernet cord as a power cord, just doesn't work

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Chris4 on 02-26-2008 at 05:35 AM

I made the same mistake. My dad got an ADSL router and we have cable internet. It didn't work.

Get yourself a Linksys cable router (which is what I have now) from a computer shop (I'm sure you must know of some?) (Y).

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 07:26 AM

well in Optus's modem page, it says the only compatible ones are about 5 specific Motorola modems (which i cant seem to find anywhere), and 1 specific Netgear model (cant find that either). I'm thinking of buying just any cable modem since i dont think it will make a difference.

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Chris4 on 02-26-2008 at 07:38 AM

Didn't you get a cable modem with Optus?

Also, the modem configuration for Optus just says 'Cable Modem', nothing specific.

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Didn't you get a cable modem with Optus?

Also, the modem configuration for Optus just says 'Cable Modem', nothing specific.
i did get a cable modem, but i need another one as i'm buying a second computer.

And as for the modem type, i was looking at this page Broadband Approved Equipment List for Optus

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Chris4 on 02-26-2008 at 08:14 AM

Hmm, I think one of us is getting confused with routers and modems.

If you've got one modem, you need a cable router to connect your other PC wirelessly, correct? Not another modem..

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by ShawnZ on 02-26-2008 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
i did get a cable modem, but i need another one as i'm buying a second computer.

you can't have two modems using one internet connection. that's what a router is for -- plug a router into the modem.
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Adeptus on 02-26-2008 at 10:19 AM

Let's get this straight.  There are:

- DSL modems
- cable modems
- routers without any kind of modem built in, which can work with either
- DSL modems with built-in router
- cable modems with built-in router

Since you already have a cable modem, you just need a plain router.  Here's an example of one.  Virtually any router you can buy will have the functionality of a WiFi access point; they used to sell wired only routers, but I think they have stopped that. 

What you need to know about WiFi (assuming you even care -- if you are going to use a laptop or can't run cables for your desktops) is that the 802.11n standard is sexy and fast, but not quite done yet.  The "draft" devices, such as the router I linked you to, are designed to be compatible with the current working draft of the future standard.  They will likely be upgradeable to the final standard with a firmware update, once it is finished.  If you think WiFi will be important to you and you will use it for file and printer sharing, buy an "n" device. 

If you have no current plans to use WiFi, or you can only see yourself using it for Internet sharing, you can buy an older, cheaper "g" device -- they are plenty fast to keep up with your cable Internet connection.  Using wire (ethernet) remains the best option, if it's not going to unreasonably inconvenience you. 

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 12:58 PM

wait so i dont need another modem for my second computer which is downstairs in the basement.

I just thought i need a modem because i have a cable connection point downstairs and so instead of getting a router i can use a modem.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
you can't have two modems using one internet connection. that's what a router is for -- plug a router into the modem
Upstairs i have a cable modem, to that modem i have connected a router (which i use to connect to the internet with with my lappy and psp), downstairs i wanted a modem because i wanted the computer to be connected directly to the net and not through a wireless connection (because i thought seeming as the computers are on different levels of the house i may not get the best signal strength.)

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Using wire (ethernet) remains the best option, if it's not going to unreasonably inconvenience you.
could you explain that a little more, do you mean i can connect to the net using my ethernet connection?

i'm confused lol

im usually not this newbie but i will admit i dont know too much when it comes to computer hardware
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by ShawnZ on 02-26-2008 at 01:02 PM

the signal will be fine :p

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 01:13 PM

quote:
ok so if i buy a new router, i can connect to the router upstairs, hence getting a wireless connection to the internet.

if i do this the internet connection point wont need to be used will it?
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by ShawnZ on 02-26-2008 at 01:14 PM

quote:
quote:
ok so if i buy a new router, i can connect to the router upstairs, hence getting a wireless connection to the internet.

if i do this the internet connection point wont need to be used will it?

i thought you already had a router?
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 01:17 PM

ok heres the situation

Upstairs:
I have a computer with a modem AND router

Downstairs:
I have a computer, able to connect to the internet using the internet connection point,

i need to know what is the best way to connect to the internet using the downstairs computer. I also have an ethernet connection connecting the two computers.

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by ShawnZ on 02-26-2008 at 01:19 PM

why not put the modem and router downstairs and connect the computer using a cable, since everything upstairs is wireless?

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 01:25 PM

quote:

why not put the modem and router downstairs and connect the computer using a cable, since everything upstairs is wireless?
if i take the modem and router downstairs when upstairs will no longer be wireless...

upstairs MUST be the access point for various reasons.
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by ShawnZ on 02-26-2008 at 01:34 PM

quote:
if i take the modem and router downstairs when upstairs will no longer be wireless...

upstairs MUST be the access point for various reasons.

so get a wireless card for the downstairs computer?
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 02-26-2008 at 01:36 PM

quote:

cant i get a wireless router instead?

i would also rather prefer a physical connection to the internet rather than a wireless one
RE: Cable/ADSL Router by tony on 02-26-2008 at 04:54 PM

Just run a big ass cable from upstairs to the basement :p

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by MeEtc on 02-26-2008 at 06:32 PM

quote:
quote:

cant i get a wireless router instead?

i would also rather prefer a physical connection to the internet rather than a wireless one
if you get a wireless router, the connection between the two routers is still going to be wireless.

The only way that you're going to get a wired connection to the computer downstairs is if you run an ethernet cable from the router upstairs, to the computer in the basement.

Your alternative is to put a wireless card in the computer in the basement, or get a second wireless router that has the ability to act as an access point to an existing wireless network.

RE: Cable/ADSL Router by Th3rmal on 03-04-2008 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
he only way that you're going to get a wired connection to the computer downstairs is if you run an ethernet cable from the router upstairs, to the computer in the basement.

Your alternative is to put a wireless card in the computer in the basement, or get a second wireless router that has the ability to act as an access point to an existing wireless network.
YAY somebody made sense to me lol

i can run an ethernet cable from my computer to my downstairs computer because i got the ethernet connection right next to my computer, both upstairs and downstairs, hence the big ass cable is not needed.

If i do what i have stated above, then i will have a LAN connection, is that correct?

EDIT: what if i buy the P5k-e-wifi, then i wont need a router will i, i can just use the access point...