Shoutbox

How to send a network message to all LAN clients? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? (/showthread.php?tid=82086)

How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by kryp2nyt on 03-03-2008 at 04:08 PM

Hello all :)

I have a D-Link Wireless Router model DSL-2640T, connected to one desktop computer via cabled LAN, and two laptops connected via wireless LAN.

I have a question, how can i send a short msg to the network users "like those ones used to be sent via MS-DOS?"

What are the MS-DOS commands anyways?

Thanks ! :)

RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by MeEtc on 03-03-2008 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by COMSPEC
C:\>net send /?
The syntax of this command is:

NET SEND
{name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

C:\>

I'm pretty sure that this will not work unless you and the other users are logged in on a Windows domain.
RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by Ezra on 03-03-2008 at 05:40 PM

works without a domain too, but I think the service is usually disabled by default.

NET SEND * Hi There!

RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by kryp2nyt on 03-03-2008 at 06:14 PM

So how to enable it?

I got the following thing when i tried something of what i got from you guys:

Net

[Accounts|conputer|config|continue|file|group|help|helpmsg|localgroup|pause |print|session|share|start|statistics|stop|time|use|user|view]

Any ideas what is this?

I use Windows Vista Home Premium btw :)

RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by Ezra on 03-03-2008 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messenger_Service

The Messenger Service is no longer supported from Windows Vista and Windows Server "Longhorn".

RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by Jarrod on 03-04-2008 at 05:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
works without a domain too, but I think the service is usually disabled by default.

NET SEND * Hi There!

enabled by default if using sp1 or earlier
sp2 disables the messenger service
NB mcafee internet security and probally most other firewalls do block the port or what ever so sometimes it won't work
there are also netsend guis around

RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by ShawnZ on 03-04-2008 at 05:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kryp2nyt
So how to enable it?

Net

[Accounts|conputer|config|continue|file|group|help|helpmsg|localgroup|pause |print|session|share|start|statistics|stop|time|use|user|view]

Any ideas what is this?

try "msg * hi there" instead.
RE: RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by kryp2nyt on 03-04-2008 at 06:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by kryp2nyt
So how to enable it?

Net

Any ideas what is this?

try "msg * hi there" instead.

Did not work :(
RE: How to send a network message to all LAN clients? by Jarrod on 03-05-2008 at 09:06 AM

it should be

code:
net send 192.168.1.1 hello