Shoutbox

Accessing a computer on a network - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Accessing a computer on a network (/showthread.php?tid=82122)

Accessing a computer on a network by saralk on 03-04-2008 at 10:34 PM

Hi, I am on a network, with about 500 other people, so we all share the same IP address for the internet.

Is there any way that someone from outside the network, can access my computer specifically, obviously since I am on a network they can't just type my IP address in.

I have created a game in Java for my coursework that you can play over the internet, and I want my friend to play it.

RE: Accessing a computer on a network by andrewdodd13 on 03-04-2008 at 11:19 PM

Try using Hamachi. This allows you to create a Virtual Private Network with your friends.

I did not think it difficult to install at all, and it works on my university's network so I would assume it will work for you.

RE: Accessing a computer on a network by Soardra on 03-04-2008 at 11:19 PM

O.o wouldn't you just embed it in a site and then link the friend to the site? (aka put the applet in Myspace or MSNSpace via code)

I don't know Java all too well, so if you don't find this helpful I don't mind o.o

RE: Accessing a computer on a network by Th3rmal on 03-05-2008 at 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Try using Hamachi. This allows you to create a Virtual Private Network with your friends.

I did not think it difficult to install at all, and it works on my university's network so I would assume it will work for you.
Hamachi is a very good program, but i think that it also works upon IP addresses (i could be wrong), but im sure theres a way to join just your specific computer..
RE: Accessing a computer on a network by Jarrod on 03-05-2008 at 05:56 AM

well I think you want to use Universal plug n Play port mapping, I wouldn't quite use hamachi but maybe a porable version (buri) might be plausible
but may be more trouble than it's worth, hamachi connects to the logmein ppl's server then you create a new virtual network then have others join it gives you an ip address for your virtual network.

Soardra has the most common solution but you could try and do something with port mapping (you could also connect outbound of your gateway to the target ip as outbound is eaiser to unblock but my guess is that is not what you want to do)