Shoutbox

IE8 Beta 1 is out! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: IE8 Beta 1 is out! (/showthread.php?tid=82149)

IE8 Beta 1 is out! by mynetx on 03-05-2008 at 11:36 PM

IE8 Beta 1 is out! To be honest, I did take notice of the whole preview talk, but I didn't expect a first public beta so fast... :)

[Image: 2cy5g8n.png]

What do you think of it? Tested it yet?
Works fine? Is cruel? Or are you a real Firefoxist?

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by MeEtc on 03-05-2008 at 11:44 PM

too late.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=82146

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by mynetx on 03-05-2008 at 11:46 PM

Lol, I didn't read that thread as its title doesn't reveal anything at all...

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by Spunky on 03-05-2008 at 11:47 PM

I can't right click anymore... thats what I think of it. Crashes and then I still have to end the process

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by roflmao456 on 03-07-2008 at 03:40 AM

it's kinda laggy and screws up some web pages too

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by Soardra on 03-07-2008 at 04:26 AM

o-o I don't like using IE period. I prefer Firefox over it and *shrugs* I still think Firefox is safer than IE. another thing, IE stole the idea of tabbed chats from IE as well as password management (and even then they don't have a master password for it or anything)

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by Jesus on 03-07-2008 at 07:04 AM

K let's give it a try...

quote:
Originally posted by IE8 installer
Checking your computer for malicious software
WTF? I'm installing a browser, not some anti-malware tool..
I'll do that when I feel like it, not when m$ feels like it :S

anyway,
quote:
Originally posted by IE8 installer
You must restart your computer before using Internet Explorer 8 to ensure that all files are updated."
"Restart later"
quote:
Originally posted by Annoying popup
It is strongly recommended that you choose "Restart now" to allow setup to finish. Blablabla
Are you sure you want to restart later?"
yeah I'm sure else I wouldn't have clicked "Restart later"... geez let me finish my download first please

So after the download is finished and the pc is rebooted I could start using IE8

First page I visit (default msn stuff not included) is already screwed. It's the latest post section of the msghelp forums.
I can't seem to open any image (just the image, an image inside a page works fine) from SkyDrive, which is a service from m$ so I'd expect that to work.
But oh well, it's still beta so I guess that will be sorted out over time, just like the google maps issue.

As for memory usage, I looked up iexplore.exe in the task manager and was amazed that it used only 20MB of memory with 2 tabs open.
After a second look (and a sort-by-mem-usage:P), however, I discovered a second iexplore thread eating away almost 70MB.
That's a total of nearly 90MB for only 2 tabs.
Though that will hopefully be sorted out in the final.
But wtf does a browser need a second thread for?

Now, usability.
I don't know how it was with IE7, but one of the first things that annoyed me in IE8 is the fact that you can not move the toolbar on the left side of the tabs, you can only resize the toolbar. Apparently m$ used some sort of digital super glue to keep them in place, so once you have a few tabs open either their titles become impossible to read or half of the buttons are hidden behind an arrow, defeating the whole purpose of having them on a toolbar in the first place. This lack of movability is not only present in the mentioned toolbar, actually it applies to most of the toolbars.

In short, it will not be a browser which could possibly replace the one I currently use.

NOTE: I don't name my current browser on purpose, to prevent certain people from accusing me of "destroying an IE thread with fanboyism" \o/

edit: wtf? can't seem to uninstall the darn thing :S
RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by RaceProUK on 03-10-2008 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
But wtf does a browser need a second thread for?
Separating the UI from other work. A large number of programs use 'background workers' to keep the UI responsive during lengthy tasks :P
RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by absorbation on 03-10-2008 at 03:51 PM

I still believe there are rendering problems, all browsers expect IE8 render my website correctly :P.

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by Supersonicdarky on 03-10-2008 at 09:04 PM

yay! another crappy release of a crappy browser by a crappy company

:)

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by andrewdodd13 on 03-11-2008 at 09:35 AM

I put it on my laptop as soon as it came out.

Windows Update doesn't work if you don't emulate IE.

DreamSpark's download manager doesn't work, it just closes the window.

Memory usage isn't too bad, not as low as Fx3B4 though.

--

To install Vista SP1 RTM I think you have to first uninstall the beta and then install RTM.

RE: IE8 Beta 1 is out! by Eddie on 03-12-2008 at 02:01 PM

Take back any positive thought i gave this beta, it crashes quite a bit for me, pushed me back to Firefox 3 Beta 4 and the preb5 nightly builds *-) Was ok for a while but yeah, once again IE your time is up with me :P