Shoutbox

Never look at Messenger the same way again - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Never look at Messenger the same way again (/showthread.php?tid=82184)

Never look at Messenger the same way again by Patchou on 03-07-2008 at 11:45 PM

Hey everyone,

Messenger Plus! Live 4.50 has been immensely popular since its release, daily installs have almost doubled since last December and many of you can’t seem to get enough of one of the main new features: skins.

More than 40 skins have already been submitted and accepted in the official skin database and many more are coming. Because contests are always a subject of joy, I’m happy to announce that sometime this year, a big skinning contest will be organised, benefiting both developers (prizes) and users (new, better skins). Details will be announced when appropriate but as of now, something new and cool has already been put in motion in the world of skins: Will Ingles, the creator of popular skins such as Ev0, as agreed to dedicate some of his time to the creation of new skins inspired by movies and music groups.

What do they looks like? here are two example of these skins. The first one is inspired by Dr Seuss’ Horton Hears A Who, in theatres next week, and is already available as a download for all versions of Windows Live Messenger. The second one is based on the Iron Man movie that will be released in May and will demonstrate how much Messenger Plus! skins can change the look & feel of Messenger as a whole.

[Image: skin-horton.png]       [Image: skin-ironman.png]

Not bad hum? New themed skins will be added on this site every month and will allow you to completely transform your Messenger windows to match your favourite movies, singers, and more. Your Messenger experience will never be the same, that’s guaranteed, and you’ll probably never want to go back to the original interface once you’ve tried a couple of skins either. Also, if you enjoy switching from one look to the other regularly, or, if you just don’t want to miss the release of a skin related to a movie that you’ve been waiting for, sign up to Messenger Plus! Skins Alerts to get instant notifications. Needless to say, all of this is free so enjoy the current skins as much as you can and be prepared to be amazed!

Patchou

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Quantum on 03-07-2008 at 11:48 PM

WOW! Both of them are nice but the second one is just fantastic:P I really, really like it! Thank god for skins :)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Chrono on 03-07-2008 at 11:50 PM

wow, the iron man skin looks awesome :O

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Oxy on 03-07-2008 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
agreed.
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Th3rmal on 03-07-2008 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
quote:
agreed.

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by NanaFreak on 03-07-2008 at 11:59 PM

hott

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by warmth on 03-07-2008 at 11:59 PM

I am just sad that I have been soooooooo busy to make all the skins I want... but this makes me happy again :D!!!

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Baggins on 03-08-2008 at 12:05 AM

Nice.

Patchou: what is that black checkmark in your icon bar?

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by warmth on 03-08-2008 at 12:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Nice.

I think is the custom button for skin configuration window...

RE: RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Willz on 03-08-2008 at 12:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo
Nice.

That button opens up the skins configuration panel ;) Was easier than designing a new icon. :P
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Voldemort on 03-08-2008 at 12:38 AM

I like your now playing song on the first screenie.

I think i have been here for two long, i know who most of the people in those screenshots are.

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by L. Coyote on 03-08-2008 at 01:30 AM

Wow.

I have to be honest and say I hadn't seen any skin screenshot until now (or maybe I have and don't remember them, probably not as great as those two). I didn't know they could be so cool. :P

(Y)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 03-08-2008 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by L. Coyote
I hadn't seen any skin screenshot until now
You never visited the skins database :(? You can preview a screenshot of all of them.
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by L. Coyote on 03-08-2008 at 02:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
You never visited the skins database :(? You can preview a screenshot of all of them.
(a) Nope, I hadn't. I'll check it out. :)

Edit: Using Vista Ultimate now, woot!
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Dane on 03-08-2008 at 02:10 AM

Great work Willz, can't wait to see more of these skins. (y)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by matty on 03-08-2008 at 02:46 AM

w00t! I am famous!

anyways looking hot as always!

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Eddie on 03-08-2008 at 02:49 AM

Woh, those skins are awesome, the second was is very impressive but i will probably find it to compact, unless its stretchable, very good job :)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Nagamasa on 03-08-2008 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
quote:
agreed.

x3
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
a big skinning contest will be organised, benefiting both developers (prizes) and users (new, better skins).
Maybe I should keep one of the skins that I'm working on in "development stage". :P
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Willz on 03-08-2008 at 08:07 AM

Well I put up a more detailed screen shot for the iron man skin up on http://www.designevolved.net/ for all those interested. I'm making that website my official development area so I will announce and preview most stuff there first :P

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by blackjack on 03-08-2008 at 09:02 AM

WOW! very nice Willz ;)
Im loving the Iron Man Skin.. cant wait to see the finished product :P

Keep up Willz :)

And Obviously.. Patchou :D

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 03-08-2008 at 09:34 AM

That Iron Man skin is just fantastic :)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Matti on 03-08-2008 at 10:18 AM

God damn, Willz! First you announce that you're going to quit skinning and now you're back into a huge skinning project again. :P

Well, keep up the great work, I'm really really impressed!!! :D

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by High Speed Chaser on 03-08-2008 at 10:24 AM

Thanks Patchou for the update. Keep up the good work Willz and Patchou. Remeber the fate of messenger relies upon you guys (and some very good scripters and skinners).

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by vaccination on 03-08-2008 at 10:38 AM

Nice. I don't like the iron man one, but it's a cool proof of concept.

Good work o;

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 03-08-2008 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nagamasa
Maybe I should keep one of the skins that I'm working on in "development stage".
I think current skins will be able to enter competition as well (probably just like the scripting competition, an update to a skin qualifies too).
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 03-08-2008 at 01:49 PM

When exactly this contest will take place? In the summer?

RE: RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by High Speed Chaser on 03-08-2008 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
When exactly this contest will take place? In the summer?

I think it hasn't been decided or Patchou probably would have told us.
He might also want to do it when we least expect it.
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Soardra on 03-08-2008 at 05:28 PM

Interesting I think I'm gonna go the same as Nagamaster. I have a skin I'm working on that has a movie theme as well ;P

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by prashker on 03-08-2008 at 05:51 PM

How about we just not do a contest. And just declare me the winner. Because you all know I'd win at skinning :)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by warmth on 03-08-2008 at 06:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
How about we just not do a contest. And just declare me the winner. Because you all know I'd win at skinning :)
:P NO! I already won!!!
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Patchou on 03-08-2008 at 06:36 PM

I don't know yet when the contest will be organised but I'd say it will be sometimes during summer. Of course, existing skins will be able to compete simply by submitting a small update (to show you're alive and interested in the contest) so you can start working on your own creations now!

Many tutorials can be found on this forum already and they'll soon be better organised in the skin database itself.

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Nathan on 03-08-2008 at 06:45 PM

Does willz get included into this contest, I'm not being mean or anything, but it would be slightly unfair because he is the best out of all of us, and would win/

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Quantum on 03-08-2008 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Napbree
Does willz get included into this contest, I'm not being mean or anything, but it would be slightly unfair because he is the best out of all of us, and would win/

Think of him as an obstacle. He's the challenge!
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Soardra on 03-08-2008 at 07:43 PM

lol XD Such an obstacle will be hard to overcome O-O but I shall try XD we all shall o-o

RE: RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Patchou on 03-08-2008 at 10:34 PM

quote:
nope, he won'y be :p

(sorry Willz ;)).
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Chris4 on 03-08-2008 at 11:29 PM

Great work Willz and Patchou.

quote:
don't know yet when the contest will be organised but I'd say it will be sometimes during summer.
Another reason to look forward to the summer :P.
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Oxy on 03-09-2008 at 12:29 AM

:D:D:D

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by duck! on 03-09-2008 at 01:30 AM

Could we enter more than 1 skin? :P

EDIT: I'm guessing it'll be categorized (Minimalistic, OS Integration, Shaped etc)..

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Spunky on 03-09-2008 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
Could we enter more than 1 skin? :P

That was the way it was in the scripting competition. Patchou, wheres my T-Shirt btw?! rofl
RE: RE: RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Willz on 03-09-2008 at 03:23 AM

quote:
quote:
nope, he won'y be :p

(sorry Willz ;)).

hahahaha awwwww :P

Nah its all good I can understand why, well if you need a judge or something you know who to call :P
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by John Anderton on 03-09-2008 at 06:03 AM

I'd totally hit that :-x
* John Anderton spanx Willz :)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Matti on 03-09-2008 at 12:44 PM

Damn, a skinning contest. Think I'll have to start learning skinning again. :P

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 03-09-2008 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by duck!
Could we enter more than 1 skin?

EDIT: I'm guessing it'll be categorized (Minimalistic, OS Integration, Shaped etc)..

You mean there will be the best shaped skin, the best stylish skin etc?
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 03-09-2008 at 07:48 PM

quote:
You mean there will be the best shaped skin, the best stylish skin etc?
I doubt those are the categories, since there are 0 minimalistic skins at the moment :p. At this point it's not even sure if there will be categories... could just be "make the most awesome skin in general" :).
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 03-09-2008 at 07:52 PM

I think there could be the most awesome skin in general and then have the Computer & OS and Stylish categories, which both have over 10 skins. What the prizes are going to be? And MenthiX, when that update in the skins database you were talking about will be done?

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 03-09-2008 at 08:12 PM

quote:
when that update in the skins database you were talking about will be done?
No estimates yet... for now just "when it's done" :).
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 03-09-2008 at 08:13 PM

Mysterious.... About the skinning contest prizes? Any information? :)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 03-09-2008 at 08:16 PM

quote:
About the skinning contest prizes? Any information?
I honestly know just as much about the skinning contest as you at this point.

* Menthix pokes Patchou with a Vista 64bit install disk
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Nagamasa on 03-10-2008 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I doubt those are the categories, since there are 0 minimalistic skins at the moment :p.
I have one that's being drafted in my mind. :P
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
well if you need a judge or something you know who to call :P
I need you to make a skin on my behalf and let me call it my skin. :P
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Let's not and say we did :P
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by aNILEator on 03-10-2008 at 06:10 AM

iron man needs mo yello!

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by absorbation on 03-14-2008 at 01:05 PM

It shows how what we thought a few years ago was impossible is now possible and its all thanks for quality programming.

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by blessedguy on 03-15-2008 at 10:55 PM

quote:
...existing skins will be able to compete simply by submitting a small update (to show you're alive and interested in the contest)...
I think I won't send Aurora Live 2.0 till then!!!

quote:

Does willz get included into this contest, I'm not being mean or anything, but it would be slightly unfair because he is the best out of all of us, and would win

Fortunately he won't...
(Willz: finally we, mere newb skinners, will have a chance!!!)

(And plz!! Put this contest in July...then I could use my vacation [God bless the vacation time!!] to make some niceee things...)

I can't wait!!!
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Andylongi on 03-15-2008 at 11:14 PM

Please send it out earlier, cant wait for it because Aurora 1,8 is my absolutly favorite skin till now!

Hm I think its wrong to post that one here but i dont know where else to post it : Does anybody know when the new MSG Plus Version will be out ?

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by blessedguy on 03-15-2008 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andylongi
Hm I think its wrong to post that one here but i dont know where else to post it : Does anybody know when the new MSG Plus Version will be out ?
(i guess there isn't a place for it anyway...)
well...Patchou should be able to answear this for you...but i think it will be out soon...4.50 has been out for too long already...(and we need a pretty good new to stay happy =) )
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Patchou on 03-16-2008 at 12:00 AM

how about next week?

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Voldemort on 03-16-2008 at 12:04 AM

....absolutely....

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Nagamasa on 03-16-2008 at 12:29 AM

quote:
how about next week?
And I demand that there are to be lots of Easter eggs!
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Andylongi on 03-16-2008 at 04:42 AM

would be wonderful what will be new in the next Version!?

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 03-16-2008 at 09:50 AM

Mostly bugfixes and little improvements. It's labeled 4.51 4.60, so don't get too excited :).

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Th3rmal on 03-16-2008 at 10:41 AM

quote:
quote:
how about next week?
how many easter eggs are in the current version? i only know of /patchou
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Quantum on 03-16-2008 at 11:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
quote:
how about next week?

Same. Is there anymore..

I really want to know! Thanks..
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by MeEtc on 03-16-2008 at 11:58 AM

I count 4 in 4.50

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Eddie on 03-16-2008 at 12:10 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
how about next week?
same here, i never know how to find these easter eggs <_<
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by blessedguy on 03-16-2008 at 12:31 PM

quote:
how about next week?
Nice!! (even though it's just a minor release!)
it would be a great "easter gift" for us...
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
same here, i never know how to find these easter eggs <_<
neither do i
=(
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Th3rmal on 03-16-2008 at 12:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I count 4 in 4.50
would you mind spilling the beans please? :D
RE: RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by warmth on 03-16-2008 at 03:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
even though it's just a minor release!
minor??? just in words :P
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by mynetx on 03-16-2008 at 08:51 PM

quote:
would you mind spilling the beans please?
If you really wanna know, take a look at the main dll's text, opening a copy (!) in notepad. You might find 1 or 2 more eggs there, but not all. Other ones can be found by inspecting the dll with other tools (about which I won't disclose information for now).
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by saralk on 03-19-2008 at 01:57 PM

Just a little thought for Patchou: you could quite easily make a bit of money by licensing your scripting engine.

For example, a movie company pays you to use the scripting engine to create a special skinned version of Messenger for their film, as a promotional thing.

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by aNILEator on 03-19-2008 at 02:25 PM

patchou
patchou 2 :)
patchou 3 (ip)
patchou's (L)
Undocumented Registry entries

I count 4 real ones, pretty sure I missed one out :S

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Quantum on 03-19-2008 at 05:32 PM

I know about the /patchou

Whats the other ones? I don't know what you mean about the reg-entries.

switching skins? by nutty on 06-11-2008 at 04:18 PM

I did a search first..... found nothing. I apologize if it has been posted before.

How does one switch skins in Plus? I'd like to download the skins I am interested in, but switch them out later as my mood suits.  Any way to do that? *-)

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 06-11-2008 at 04:36 PM

You open your Preferences and go to the Customize tab. Then, you go to skins and you can select the skin you will be using

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by nutty on 06-11-2008 at 04:46 PM

Thanks so much. :kiss:

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by mattisdada on 06-20-2008 at 01:28 PM

I really like the orange one if it wasnt for that damn Elaphent! Otherwise itd be pure pwnage.

And the ironman, i dont like personally, but it does look VERY impresive!

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Ozzymick_93 on 06-30-2008 at 07:39 PM

Woow,is there any Iron Maiden or Half-Life(Maybe I saw that one;)) skin:P???

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 07-01-2008 at 07:32 AM

There is not an Iron Maiden skin but there is a half life one.Here it is:
http://www.msgplus.net/skins/view/33-Half-Life-Skin/

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Lou on 07-04-2008 at 01:11 AM

Okay Patchou, this is slightly dodgy:P:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=915951]

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Voldemort on 07-04-2008 at 01:14 AM

that never appeared here

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Menthix on 07-04-2008 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
this is slightly dodgy
That popped up randomly on 4.6? Interesting :o

Probably location targeted. No point in teasing people at the other side of thw world with free tickets :D.
RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by warmth on 07-04-2008 at 07:03 PM

that means that there are some hidden features in MP!L that we don't actually don't know... :|

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by Basilis on 07-04-2008 at 07:13 PM

I assume Patchou has inserted something in Plus! so he can announce things from toasts.

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by mynetx on 07-04-2008 at 09:00 PM

Strange. Really strange. I suggest supervising your network connection. :P

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by albert on 07-04-2008 at 11:07 PM

Didn't see that pop-up.
Although I haven't been on messenger so much lately..

RE: Never look at Messenger the same way again by roflmao456 on 07-08-2008 at 02:45 AM

hmm.. decompile plus! :P

and i never seen that toast