Shoutbox

Is there an end to space - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Is there an end to space (/showthread.php?tid=8222)

Is there an end to space by viper15 on 04-13-2003 at 04:02 PM

Is there an end to space. u would think so but if it stopped somewhere wot is past that. more space? weird. Or would ugo round in a circle. i think u would, like goin round the earth...

There is no end, just this: by Cool Arrogance on 04-13-2003 at 04:06 PM

[Image: attachment.php?tid=8222&pid=61872]

...and this: by Cool Arrogance on 04-13-2003 at 04:09 PM

[Image: attachment.php?tid=8222&pid=61873]

Look close enough, and you may find this: by Cool Arrogance on 04-13-2003 at 04:12 PM

[Image: attachment.php?tid=8222&pid=61875]

RE: Is there an end to space by viper15 on 04-13-2003 at 04:18 PM

ah but that deos not explain is space ends. when u think of it its hard to pickture it going on for forever.

viper

RE: Is there an end to space by Cool Arrogance on 04-13-2003 at 04:22 PM

Well, my philosophy is Space is eternal, Space is forever.  There is no end.  You'll just keep going and going and going....
The only real "end" would be space becoming emptier and emptier.  And at the "edge" of the universe you are in a midst of nothingness.  Void.  Oblivion.  An endless field of darkness.  Not even darkness, but pitch black.

RE: Is there an end to space by viper15 on 04-13-2003 at 04:26 PM

well there u go

RE: Is there an end to space by WDZ on 04-14-2003 at 12:33 AM

I think there's probably an end. Everything else we know of has an end. But many facts about space are still a mystery, so it's hard to say... :undecided:

RE: Is there an end to space by Fragged on 04-14-2003 at 06:50 AM

Well I think that there is an end, in that we can't get past a certain point without going faster than the spped of light but if we could break that rule then we would be set. It's hard to explain, but the universe is moving apart so fast that there are some stars that we will never be able to see. If you wanna understand then read a new scientist from awhile back.

RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-14-2003 at 09:15 AM

No one knows, no one can be right, so why ask?

RE: Is there an end to space by Purplehaze on 04-14-2003 at 06:09 PM

well i guess it must stop sumwhere

RE: Is there an end to space by Dr Zoidberg on 04-14-2003 at 07:20 PM

If you stood on any planet in space for intance say the moon and looked through a pair of binoculars and held up you other hand you would eventuly see yourself.

RE: Is there an end to space by CoOl_GuY on 04-14-2003 at 09:16 PM

well i think there is aliens out there some where cuz if there isn't it is a big waste of space so there must be somethin else out there!!!

RE: Is there an end to space by Patchou on 04-15-2003 at 05:26 AM

I also tend to think there are some other species in the galaxie, hopefully they are not Borg (yeah, 5 hours of daily Star Trek make you see things). Anyway, think about it: we don't even know for sure how far our solar system goes, there are trillions of systems in our galaxie and there are millions of galaxies in the unverse, as far as we can tell. Maybe there's an even bigger entity, so the point is: we'll never know. As far as the universe is concerned, Earth is a stupid rock where some parasites succeeded to evolve and exterminate themselves in the blink of an eye. Probably millions of other civilisations existed before us in other systems and millions more will exit after us, chances are we'll never know about it either. It's sad but that's a fact.

By the way, very nice pictures posted here. It's good to see a thread not talking about sex or cars :).

Patchou

RE: Is there an end to space by Fragged on 04-15-2003 at 06:09 AM

We already have the borg; Microsoft.

My 'e' key is sticking :(

RE: Is there an end to space by Tandy on 04-15-2003 at 06:28 AM

i think i may have the answer

yes there WAS an end to space at the end to space at the end of this universe (which may seem unending because it is so big)
until a couple of years ago when scientists sent a laser beam into space (i dont know the full story so dont ask me) now if there was an end you would see the laser pass straight through. However it did not, it bounced off other things and reflected in different places etc. saying this means that there are parallel universes out there somewhere

so just think about it.............there could be another universe
exactly 100% the same as ours with the same milky way and exactly the same earth............with someone exactly like you...............doing exactly the same thing as you right now this very millisecond and thinking about exactly the same thing.

think about it and post a reply(or send me an email)

Tandy

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by Addo on 04-15-2003 at 06:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Muss
No one knows, no one can be right, so why ask?

O you Daler Mehndi.. kh kh kh
RE: Is there an end to space by viper15 on 04-15-2003 at 08:34 AM

Also when you see light i think most of them  are beams of moving light. then where did they come from? aliens????:)

viper

RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-15-2003 at 11:31 AM

What?

When you see light of course it is beams of moving light.

All light is moving light waves, the colour you see depends on what colours of the specrum are reflected, and which are absorbed :undecided:

It is impossible to send a laser into space, and for them to see it.

To get to the end of the known universe, actually lets use our galaxy, the milky way.

It would take a very very very long time. not just a matter of year, but qa matter of decades. And there is no possible way of them seeing somethign as small as a beam of light.

If there was an end to space, the light would just stop. It couldn't pass through it, because it is hitting something.

It could have bounced off of thing (dust particles, other planets, etc) but then it wouldn't be travelling in a straight line, which is the whole thing behind the experiment.

Light travels in straight line - if it stops going, then there is an end

It hitting things on the way make it go off in different directions, which screws it up.

Either way, there are no telescopes powerful enough to see how far the beam would go, because it is such a small beam.

For all we know, we may be the edge of the universe(s) *in saying that, I don't mean the known universe, I mean the entire enity of space* And the centre is way the fuck in the other direction then people are looking.

RE: Is there an end to space by billywoods1 on 04-15-2003 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by viper15
ah but that deos not explain is space ends. when u think of it its hard to pickture it going on for forever.

Do you find it easier to picture it just stopping? I mean, what happens then? A great big brick wall and past that just 'doesn't exist'?

[boring]

By definition space is the absence of matter. Fair enough, there are stars and so on, but in between there is absolutely nothing. No air, no gas, no little dead space creatures, nothing. And that's what would be at the end of the universe. So basically, space is the existence of nothing. So either you imagine that something else goes on forever (e.g. space... space... space... space... space... and then suddenly strawberry Pop Tarts ad infinitum) or there is nothing. Just an empty... space.

So yes, I believe that something, space or not, goes on for ever. It can't possibly end. What would happen if it did?

More to the point, I believe that it is space that goes on for ever, not Pop Tarts or milk or geography teachers (shudder). Why? Because it's so hard to visualise an infinite amount of matter, I prefer to visualise an infinity of space with a finite amount of matter.

I suppose it all depends on what it's easiest to visualise. If there was just a brick wall at the 'end' of space, and you smashed a hole in it and went through, what would happen? A new 'space'? Would you appear at the other side, like a huge 3D game of Pacman? I doubt it.

Though, thinking about it, if you take the Earth, and you walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, you will never come to the end of the Earth and fall off. That's because you're covering 3D space in 2D directions. Maybe space somehow becomes a 4D torus or sphere, where you can only cover 3D movements, so you can never travel in that 4th direction to escape. But then... there IS another way to go off the Earth... even if there weren't, there would still be stuff there... or, more correctly, the absence of stuff... oh, forget it!

[/boring]

So, um, what was the question again? ;)
RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-16-2003 at 11:45 AM

There is stuff inbetween, gas, dust, rock, ice etc.

But it is a vacuum, but that stuff is still in 'space'

And there are gravitational feilds, waves, rays etc

Which doesn't make it empty does it? :P

RE: Is there an end to space by billywoods1 on 04-17-2003 at 06:41 PM

Ok, it's not empty. (I did say that once. :P)

All I'm saying is, if you took a part of space where there weren't any rocks or dust or waves or.... then it would still be space, no matter how small or big, it would still be space.

RE: Is there an end to space by Chrono on 04-18-2003 at 12:09 AM

Who cares ? :refuck:

I dunno :tongue:

RE: Is there an end to space by Fragged on 04-18-2003 at 05:53 AM

If there is an infinite amount of space but a finite amout of matter, well, it doesn't compute does it, the amount of matter in relation to the amount of space must also be infinitly small and well does that mean there is no matter?

I also read in New Scientist that Earth is a Spherical Geometry, which in small scales looks Euclidean (X, Y, Z all perpendicular). They think that space is the same but instead of being a sphere, it looks like a potato chip.

RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-18-2003 at 06:04 AM

If there is an infinite amount of space, yes there is an infinite amount of matter

Doesn't mean that there is the same amount, but that there is no end to the amount is there

Should be written, if there is an infinite amount of space, then there is an infinite amount of matter, but amount of space>amount of matter

RE: Is there an end to space by Fragged on 04-18-2003 at 08:52 AM

That's why Maths is stupid

If matter = space (both are infinite)
then how can matter < space

MATHS IS DUMB

RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-18-2003 at 11:24 AM

No, infinite things don't mean they = each other

Two things can be infinite, but that doesn't mean to say that if you were to take one number of one of them, the other would equal that.

Just means, there is no end to them, mater being infinite is dependant on space beign infinite, if there was an end space (or a volume that it couldn't exceed) then matter would have a limit, and would no longer be infinite

RE: Is there an end to space by shuttup stupid on 04-19-2003 at 04:43 PM

really people... WHO CARE?!?!

RE: Is there an end to space by Mat3 on 04-19-2003 at 04:50 PM

Space is theoretically a temporal sphere. Which is just a posh word for its finite (only so much matter in it) but has no boundaries. Eg if you went in a straight line you'd eventually get back where you started.

RE: Is there an end to space by Cool Arrogance on 04-20-2003 at 12:01 AM

Watch out for those quasars!

RE: Is there an end to space by jimmy_jim_jim on 04-20-2003 at 03:18 AM

hmmmmmmmmm....ahhhhhhhhhh........ummmmmmmm.......mmmmmmmmm.....after long amounts of thinkin i would hav to say no.......space neva ends.....

p.s i only thought as long as it took me to write this

RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-20-2003 at 03:57 AM

If you went in a straight line, it doesn't mean you will get back to where you started.

that is one theory, but is a crap one at best

RE: Is there an end to space by Bugz on 04-20-2003 at 08:14 AM

dunno if there's an end, and actually I don't care

RE: Is there an end to space by s7a5 on 04-21-2003 at 06:18 AM

everything has an end, but not sure about universe

RE: Is there an end to space by Superconductor on 04-21-2003 at 07:18 PM

i would assume that space is one motherfucking huge sphere and youll propbably end where started, that is if there was the technology to do such a thing

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by Guido on 04-21-2003 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Superconductor
i would assume that space is one motherfucking huge sphere and youll propbably end where started, that is if there was the technology to do such a thing

how could it be a sphere if you can go up, down, forward, backwards, to the left and to the right? i mean, in earth you can walk and youll end where you started (after some gatorades :tongue:) but in space, you don't walk on the floor... :-/ It can't be a sphere as you can go everywhere 360º

and its easy to say "it never ends" , but its hard to really think about it :P
RE: Is there an end to space by Superconductor on 04-23-2003 at 12:21 AM

maybe theres some sort of invisible wall that conects our dimension with another a dimension dogs walk people

RE: Is there an end to space by Tandy on 04-23-2003 at 12:32 AM

lol i couldnt care well ive had my theory

there may be and their may not, its probably something humans will neva find out until about 1000000 of years when the earth is overtaken by AI!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Is there an end to space by The I§land Prince§§¤ on 04-23-2003 at 01:42 AM

hey people..lets think .....if there is a beggining and an end for everything...dont u think that includes space........but were or what is the begginin of of space or the end????? weird..

RE: Is there an end to space by ]G[ on 04-23-2003 at 01:57 AM

*sittin with some smart appearance :D *
who told ya.. dat dariz some "end" fo everythin?:)

RE: Is there an end to space by BClapton on 04-23-2003 at 01:37 PM

If there is an end to space, i reckon there's a brick wall around it, and if there is, I want to be the first to tag it. hehe
but think about it, scientists say that the Universe is everything, and the Universe is ever expanding. So therefore i propose a question: what is it expanding into?

RE: Is there an end to space by LazuritEaNgeL on 04-27-2003 at 06:14 AM

More Space Pictures!!!!!!:grin:

RE: Is there an end to space by Muss on 04-27-2003 at 07:01 AM

where? :wtf:

RE: Is there an end to space by DXtremz on 04-27-2003 at 07:09 AM

End to space?...naw...
* DXtremz likes to think that space goes forever...or maybe its round...:P...wouldnt wanna fall of the face of space...:\...cuz, where would you go then?

RE: Is there an end to space by ILBteddie18 on 04-29-2003 at 01:48 AM

woo pretty pictures!!

RE: Is there an end to space by ^_^ on 04-29-2003 at 04:02 AM

maybe there is an end, but we haven't got the technology to reach it

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by Fragged on 04-29-2003 at 06:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dxtremz
End to space?...naw...
* dxtremz likes to think that space goes forever...or maybe its round...:P...wouldnt wanna fall of the face of space...:...cuz, where would you go then?

You can't fall off the edge of space, because there is nothing pulling you down (apart from the fact that space isn't 2D)
RE: Is there an end to space by AeRoOrAnGe on 04-30-2003 at 02:42 AM

well if there's an end to space, what about a beginning/end of time? when did time start? and what was before that? i think the reason why people havent figured all this out is because we can't understand something "going on forever". we're born and we die, we kno it, and we think about everything "starting" and "stopping", and our brains can fully understand infinity or "no end/no beginning". well, at least MY brain cant understand it, but they say I was dropped on my head as a child so hell, what do i kno?

RE: Is there an end to space by wacky on 04-30-2003 at 03:20 AM

People on earth, many years ago, thought our planet was flat, right? but it turned out to be round. Maybe the univers is round 2 but in stead of us being outside of the sphere, we're inside, sort of like a galaxy. And their wer many universes that are in sumthing even bigger, wich is in sumthing even bigger... :shocked: that would mean that their's an infinity of space, but not of our univers... pretty complicated :-/

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by AeRoOrAnGe on 04-30-2003 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billywoods1

Though, thinking about it, if you take the Earth, and you walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, and walk, you will never come to the end of the Earth and fall off. That's because you're covering 3D space in 2D directions. Maybe space somehow becomes a 4D torus or sphere, where you can only cover 3D movements, so you can never travel in that 4th direction to escape. But then... there IS another way to go off the Earth... even if there weren't, there would still be stuff there... or, more correctly, the absence of stuff... oh, forget it!

this i agree with, because it makes sense. We did think the world was flat for a long time, and a bunch of people still didnt believe it wasn't until we figured our how to travel UP and off the planet. but don't they say that the 4D is time? if time travel were possible could you use it to "escape our space"? (not like that shitty timetravel cliché where you can go back in time and change things, that would make so many paradoxes it wouldnt work)
RE: Is there an end to space by Joshwuk on 05-18-2003 at 03:02 PM

Does anyone here believe in God?? i do

RE: Is there an end to space by Krazylady on 05-18-2003 at 10:01 PM

Yeah sorta do. too confusing subject though but i do think theres something bigger than us out there somewhere

RE: Is there an end to space by viper15 on 05-18-2003 at 10:13 PM

lol face it as far as we know there is no end to space...

RE: Is there an end to space by Ghetobyte on 05-19-2003 at 06:11 AM

or there may be...

RE: Is there an end to space by Krazylady on 05-19-2003 at 12:44 PM

you never know evrything has gotta end somewhen or somewhere. its prob just too far away for anyone to ever kow about or ever prove

RE: Is there an end to space by Johnny_Mac on 05-19-2003 at 02:16 PM

Blah... My beliefs on:

God: I dont have any
Space: Its expanding, and then will start contracting.

RE: Is there an end to space by D:Frag on 05-19-2003 at 02:54 PM

When it finishes contracting... what will be around it?? 

This gives me headaches... leave it to the scientists :P

RE: Is there an end to space by spokes on 07-07-2004 at 05:47 AM

but if its expanding, and its bounces back in (contracts) would'nt that make time bounce?, like make time go backwards?

RE: Is there an end to space by Patchou on 07-07-2004 at 06:01 AM

Well, the only explanation I've come to so far is that there's no end because it circles... but that's my own theory, as good/bad as any others. I just wish we'll be able to explore some part of our galaxy one day, it would be kinda cool to colonise planets and, who know, find other planets with strange lifeforms. Too bad it won't be in our life times though.

RE: Is there an end to space by lopardo on 07-07-2004 at 06:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Too bad it won't be in our life times though.
Well, at least we can say we could enjoy Plus ;)
RE: Is there an end to space by unknown2u on 07-07-2004 at 11:54 PM

I have often wondered that myself. Also why is space always horizontal? What is down? or up?  Is there more planets we don't know about sitting only miles in our vertical axis? Are the UFOs really coming from a plant that sits 400,000 miles under us?

RE: Is there an end to space by lopardo on 07-08-2004 at 06:47 PM

One more: do UFOs actually exist? :)

RE: Is there an end to space by saralk on 07-08-2004 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tandy
so just think about it.............there could be another universe
exactly 100% the same as ours with the same milky way and exactly the same earth............with someone exactly like you...............doing exactly the same thing as you right now this very millisecond and thinking about exactly the same thing.

the amount of times ive used that to pull :p no seriously!

I think space is infinate, yet i cant explain it. Its too big too imagine. Almost like thinking about nothing

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by unknown2u on 07-08-2004 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
One more: do UFOs actually exist? :)

Yes.

They fly UFO's like this one:

[Image: S37747.jpg]

[Image: S37739.jpg]

And look like this guy:

[Image: 55b.jpg]

If you spot a UFO report it ASAP!!! PLEASE!
RE: Is there an end to space by Jhrono on 07-08-2004 at 07:27 PM

people...i just have this to say...
We weren't made to discover certain things...like the end of space...only the word in it..who called it space?a person who that is was enourmous...we are like a water drop in an ocean or a cloud in the sky...if someone has the answer for that question,please answer me how the world was born...i'm catholic and in my case i call it faith to believe in what god tell's us in the holy bible...

[]

RE: Is there an end to space by sasquatch on 07-15-2004 at 08:09 AM

i noticed no1 talked about the big bang theory. If you assume that the big bang theory is true, then u also assume that all matter was created during the bang and therefore there is a finite amount of matter. Space was also created during the bang and therefore, space would also be finite. However, assuming you believe in a higher being (god, allah, etc) that created the heavens and the earth, then you really wouldn't know because they are all beyond human comprehension accoring to the old testament. these are my views at least from a religious and scientific prespective

RE: Is there an end to space by Pyroteq on 07-15-2004 at 09:38 AM

i think its a circle like earth with lots of clusters of planets like our galaxy and then eventually joins again and theres not just one sun but hundreds.

RE: Is there an end to space by ~INVASION~ on 07-15-2004 at 09:58 AM

well f course there are hundreds of suns that pretty obvious but there not called suns there stars(*) lol  our "sun"is just another star and here on earth we are lucky enough to have the living conditions that we do and there is most likely other planets just like ours we will just never find them because they are out of our reach and do not have the technology.....yet.

alien,not ufo's cause UFO just means their spaceship do exist well thats just wat i think and one day we will prolly look like them too:throwup:       maybe:P

RE: Is there an end to space by Shadow D on 07-17-2004 at 12:48 AM

Well heres my opinion:

It all comes down to what you believe in; If there is a "beginning" to the universe, then I believe that you would reach a point in space where literally nothing exist, no time no space and no mass, because scientifically, the universe is contracting, so there must be an end, so, when you reach that point and (try) cross the border, you would:

a. Disintegrate at the border
b. Never make it there, and just fell a wall (:|), because humans are composed of enrgy/matter and to pass matter through nothing, is like walking into an impenetrable wall.

Now, if you dont believe in "The Big Bang", then I don't think that space will ever end, because it must be infinite if it doesn't have a beginning. And in that case...perhaps God might solve the puzzle?

If you don't understand one bit of this post, then don't worry, i'm pretty confused right now my self ;).

RE: Is there an end to space by illuzn on 07-17-2004 at 06:04 AM

Okay heres my two cents...
Scientists currently have three main theories on the shape of the universe which will ultimately determine if there is an "end" to it.
It some wierd variable thingo (i forgot its name :p) is <1 then the universe is closed something like a sphere. In this case the universe is finite.
If the variable = 1 the universe is flat... in this case the is no end to the universe instead you loopback or something i forget.
If the variable > 1 the universe is in this wierd camel hump shape... if you can imagine multiple camel humps joined together something like that. In this case the universe also has no "end"

I am not a theoretical physicist or anything so i am probably wrong :p or said something wrong here... but that's all i could remember.

edit: just remembered another thing.... to test this theory scientists want to measure the angles of a triangle. Heres an experiment you can try yourself.
Draw a triangle on a piece of paper (flat universe) suprise suprise 180 degrees
Draw a triangle on a sphere (finite/closed universe) more than 180 degress wow...
I think in the case of the wierd one angle is less than 180 degrees but i can't remember the exact reason why...

Now for those of you who are curious it isn't easy for scientists to measure the angles of the triangle for one simple reason. Get the sphere out again and draw the smallest possible triangle you can. That triangle is probably representative of the milky way in the whole universe. Now if you measure the angle its pretty close to 180 degrees. So scientists need a really big triangle to work out which case is true.

Also another side note if the universe is spherical... parallel lines do cross!!!! Imagine a globe... and now imagine to lines of latitude. These lines are "parallel" however, they meet at the poles...

All this stuff is interesting... but it also confuses the heck out of you :S

RE: Is there an end to space by CookieRevised on 07-17-2004 at 06:18 AM

contracting, expanding, beginning, end.... these are all words that refer to things we can comprehend. Words that we use to try to make sense and try to understand....

When talking about the universe, there is something that scientists autmaticly do. They talk with basic human words but they use them to make theories which humans can't comprehend. There is not a single person who can understand and explain how big the universe is. We can only "imagine". That's because the human brain can't handle such complex stuff...

A nice example: Everybody knows what 3D is and can comprehend it. But there is also 4D, now imagine how that will "look". ("look", example of such a word which I talked about in the first paragraph. Actually "to look" means you can see something, and seeing means 3D, not 4D...)

And when we come to the universe-talk, everything is like that, we "say" it extracts/compresses. We can't comprehend that, because the universe is infinite, yet it contracts... So that should be impossible, yet it is possible (proven)...

The Big Bang (or something similar) has existed. Scientists say that everything comes from a single "something" (calling it "atom" would be wrong). This has been proven, yet we can't comprehend that or put it in words and describe it. We can only give a relative explaination and simplify it by doing that.

But by doing that, we also make mistakes on purpose. It is wrong to build further upon those "simple" explainations (with the included mistakes), and that is exactly what you're doing if you say things like "the big bang existed, so everything came from a single thing, so that means matter is finite"...

Also, another thing. Many people say that space itself contains nothing. Well that has been proven to be wrong. "Nothing" does contain something; there is something called "black matter", which is the opposite of matter. Again something we can't comprehend, but it does exist. So even if all the matter was contracted again (big bang-loop-theory), space would still exist and would be "filled" with black matter (or sometimes called anti-matter)...

Also don't forget that the laws of nature as we know them, don't exist in space as we know them. In space there are other laws. Laws which have to be yet discovered, or to put it in a better way: the big law has yet to be discovered. Because many laws have been discovered already. But many laws contradict other laws.

It's nice to talk about all this stuff, but you must not forget that it is just talking about very simplified things and thus you can't make assumptions and theories. We aren't scientists. We can only try to understand what those formulas means. Heck even scientists have often problems understanding their own laws.....

If you are interested in those things, I suggest to read a book from Stephen Hawkins (their is that dude again :p). His string-theory (everything exists of "strings") is very very very complex and explains many strange things happening in the universe (black holes, worm-holes, relativity, mini-big-bangs, contracting, expanding, lack of time, butterfly-effect, etc.. etc..), but at the same time it can realy explain the basic laws of nature (from Einstein, Newton, etc...) on earth as well. And although it is very complex, it can put things realy simple by comparing it to strings of a violin...

I'm going to end this strange post :p I can talk about it for hours, but my English isn't good enough to do that. All I can say is that it is fasinating and fun to talk about it. But let the scientists do their job, and let us do ours: enjoying life and wondering how beautiful it can be (and how shitty it can be).....

;)

RE: Is there an end to space by illuzn on 07-17-2004 at 06:27 AM

You just reminded me of another thing cookie... the universe is not infinite! while there may be no "end" to the universe it actually has a finite "volume".

Also i remember another thing for the mathematicians out there to imagine this... if you imagine a mandelbrot set (the set of all points x+yi that do not diverge)

It has a finite area (clearly its volume is less than a binding rectangle you draw on it)

However it has an infinite perimeter since the mandelbrot set has infinite complexity. This could be an example of how the universe works... maybe i dunno....

RE: Is there an end to space by CookieRevised on 07-17-2004 at 06:56 AM

hehe, indeed, I was reading your post:

quote:
Originally posted by illuzn
You just reminded me of another thing cookie... the universe is not infinite! while there may be no "end" to the universe it actually has a finite "volume".
I wanted to reply that finite volume doesn't mean finite dimensions, so I kept that in mind while reading further:
quote:
Also i remember another thing for the mathematicians out there to imagine this... if you imagine a mandelbrot set (the set of all points x+yi that do not diverge)
Exactly what I was going to reply ;) not realy an exact comparison, but the best I can think of also...

Indeed, this is a nice example of how things can work and that you (not you illuzn, you're clearly with me on this ;)) must not simply things too much...

In the basic laws of nature we all have learned that every object has a certain amount of volume since we can calculate the volume from it's dimensions. But this doesn't apply to certain things (like space)....
RE: Is there an end to space by Pipish on 07-17-2004 at 07:13 AM

i probably think theres an end i just thing no-one will every get there with the fuel and everything they might try one day could end in tragity

RE: Is there an end to space by Varish on 07-17-2004 at 07:43 AM

Well, i think human minds can't think that further......is like wondering how god was made!

No  offencer everyone,...

RE: Is there an end to space by Weyzza on 07-17-2004 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[L]et the scientists do their job, and let us do ours: enjoying life and wondering how beautiful it can be (and how shitty it can be).....;)
Agreed... Nice essay, though ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe
Well, i think human minds can't think that further......is like wondering how god was made!
(Y)
That's what I believe

I'm sorry to disturb you guys with your discussion, but I'd like to share some information that I read last year. Maybe this could help, maybe this couldn't...
I'm too lazy to check (8 pages of posts) if this URL has been posted before :p

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/universe_soccer_031008.html
RE: Is there an end to space by Jhrono on 07-17-2004 at 01:15 PM

Well here's another thought of mine...
Kinda..I dont think we'll never get to that point...my idea i've posted few days ago...here's the quote...

quote:
Originally posted by johny
people...i just have this to say...
We weren't made to discover certain things...like the end of space...only the word in it..who called it space?a person who that is was enourmous...we are like a water drop in an ocean or a cloud in the sky...if someone has the answer for that question,please answer me how the world was born...i'm catholic and in my case i call it faith to believe in what god tell's us in the holy bible...

Just for the ones who don't believe in god...how do you think human kind appeard?:?

Like i said in a thread in wich we were discussion religious aspects...It just comes by (your idea) in what you believe in...

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by illuzn on 07-17-2004 at 01:57 PM

quote:

But wondering outside of the square is why we have a life as wonderful as it is today... imagine if nobody thought of using a round device to ease carrying loads now known as the wheel. Imagine a world with no computers, no internet and golly gosh no MP!3 :o

While all this conversation may seem meaningless now it will probably lead to advents like faster space travel and the like... and who knows maybe there is other life out there
RE: Is there an end to space by Jhrono on 07-17-2004 at 02:00 PM

man but mp3 and all the stuff your talking about were reachable things!!Don't compare The human being Appearance with mp3...

RE: Is there an end to space by RebelSean on 07-17-2004 at 03:43 PM

I myself think there is NO end to space. It goes on for trillions and billions of lightyears (however you spell it). Thats what i think! :D

RE: Is there an end to space by Varish on 07-17-2004 at 04:06 PM

quote:
    quote:Originally posted by Chloe

But wondering outside of the square is why we have a life as wonderful as it is today... imagine if nobody thought of using a round device to ease carrying loads now known as the wheel. Imagine a world with no computers, no internet and golly gosh no MP!3

I said ...Cant think that further
meaning that  our minds can only think to a certain extent..got it?

RE: Is there an end to space by Maniac on 07-17-2004 at 08:02 PM

I truely think space is a sphere.... don't ask me how it's possible, i'm still trying to figure that little detail out :rofl:

RE: Is there an end to space by Shadow D on 07-18-2004 at 12:12 AM

I think some people in here are underestimating the human mind by saying that there are things we are unable to understand, just think we have evolved so much in so little time (hey +5000 years isn't that much after all). A few thousand years ago man would probarbly start worshipping a TV if it suddenly appeared in front of them.

And have you ever heard the one about those monkeys? well, just think about this, if monkeys kept on writing random words for a loooong time, one day they would eventually write the Bible, weird huh? Well, thats kind of like us; were bound to learn everything at some point (of course assuming we survive long enough)

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by Maniac on 07-18-2004 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by unknown2u
I have often wondered that myself. Also why is space always horizontal? What is down? or up?  Is there more planets we don't know about sitting only miles in our vertical axis? Are the UFOs really coming from a plant that sits 400,000 miles under us?

Space isn't flat.... who said it was? Of course there are planets under/above us, our own solar system isn't flat (not all planets move in perfect concentric circles.... some go up and down more than others....)
RE: Is there an end to space by sasquatch on 07-18-2004 at 08:06 AM

wow, haven't read up on these forums for a while, alrite, have a couple things to say first, in responses to cookie's essay

quote:
Also, another thing. Many people say that space itself contains nothing. Well that has been proven to be wrong. "Nothing" does contain something; there is something called "black matter", which is the opposite of matter. Again something we can't comprehend, but it does exist. So even if all the matter was contracted again (big bang-loop-theory), space would still exist and would be "filled" with black matter (or sometimes called anti-matter)...

i read in pop-sci and in many other places that anti-matter is rare and was mostly destroyed in the big bang (many scientists think that antimatter may have been a catalyst for the bang). perhaps you are refering to the mysterious "dark matter" that plagues the minds of scientist along with "dark energy". note that anitmatter and dark matter are complety different things. perhaps this is all beyond our comprehention, which leads me to the other comment in regard to
quote:
quote:

quoteriginally posted by Chloe

But wondering outside of the square is why we have a life as wonderful as it is today... imagine if nobody thought of using a round device to ease carrying loads now known as the wheel. Imagine a world with no computers, no internet and golly gosh no MP!3

i figure, at some point we have to seperate religion and science within this thread. the limit to which a human mind can think is distince between science and religion. science does not allow for the existence of god and god doesn't allow for the existence of science. basically, if all scientist believed in god, science would fail to exists becasue the answer to every question or every hypothesis would be "God wanted it that way" or "God made it that way". And god (a omnipotenet one at least) would deny the explinations of science because they say that He in fact is not responsible for everything. This original of question would then have to be classified as a scientific question, though you can use religion to explain that "we cannot comprehend it", that doens't really answer the question, so hence, i suggest you try using science, and as science dictates, space is finite, HUGE, but finite in the end since science believes in the big bang. however, if you can provide an alternate theory, it may possibly allow for an infinite universe (using string theory as an example, it allows for up to 11 dimensions which could possible allow for an infinite universe within the other dimensions). so it really depends, as for now, we really don't know, everyone has seperate beliefs, but as far as the traditionalist scientist within me is concerned, space, at one point or another, is finite
RE: RE: RE: Is there an end to space by CookieRevised on 07-18-2004 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow D
I think some people in here are underestimating the human mind by saying that there are things we are unable to understand,
We (I at least) never said the human mind can't "understand" something. I said "comprehend", as in "imagine". There is a difference there...

We can perfectly understand things (formulas, calculations, explainations, etc), while at the same time we can not "see"/"comprehend"/"imagine" it.... There are thousands of examples that we understand but can't "see"....
quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
quote:
Originally posted by unknown2u

Space isn't flat.... who said it was? Of course there are planets under/above us, our own solar system isn't flat (not all planets move in perfect concentric circles.... some go up and down more than others....)

He didn't say it was flat. He said horizontal. There is a difference. Of course space isn't flat, but he is right in saying that wherever you are in space, you're always "horizontal", because there is no fixed reference to call it horizontal.

(btw even on Earth, the word horizontal is a bit strange, think about it ;))

Anyways, maybe I'm wrong in assuming he did meant this. And maybe he meant realy "flat". Again, he's partially right. Our solorsystem is partially "flat" (except for a few planets). Furthermore, most common galaxies (swirling-galaxies, like ours) are indeed relative "flat". This is due the swirling motion around the axis that they make....
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch
i read in pop-sci and in many other places that anti-matter is rare and was mostly destroyed in the big bang (many scientists think that antimatter may have been a catalyst for the bang). perhaps you are refering to the mysterious "dark matter" that plagues the minds of scientist along with "dark energy". note that anitmatter and dark matter are complety different things. perhaps this is all beyond our comprehention, which leads me to the other comment in regard to
true, it's "rare" in the scope of the total mass of matter in the universe, but "rare" is relative...

Many spaceobjects emmit not only radiation, but also anti-matter is believed (and black-matter also) when doing "things" (explotions, implotions, black holes, etc...). What I meant was, when space contracts again, space will be filled again with this kind of matter, so the loop can begin again (and the black-matter can function as a catalyst again)

There is indeed a difference (I thought) between dark-matter and black-matter/anti-matter... Black-matter being the opposite of matter, and dark-matter/energy being something that "holds" "pushes" things together appart, something like gravity, but different...

EDIT: in the quick writing I made a fundamental mistake and gave the definition of gravity (was thinking about gravity while writing about dark-matter/energy :p), I must be the opposite of course ;)
RE: Is there an end to space by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 05:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There is indeed a difference (I thought) between dark-matter and black-matter/anti-matter... Black-matter being the opposite of matter, and dark-matter being something that "holds" things together, something like gravity, but different...

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,220659-1,00.html

antimatter was almost completey destroyed in most versions of the big bang that involve antimatter, so it reli doesn't amount to nething in space, dark matter is sumthing we have yet to detect and the "gravity" u were talkin bout is "dark energy"

most theortical physicist think that dark matter accounts for about 2/3 of the mass of the universe while the remaining third is matter and itz variants (antimater, neutrinos {which are kinda a form of matter}) so ur right in the sense that space is not "empty" but i'm just saying itz probably not antimatter otherwise there would be antimatter-matter reactions everywhere which would destroy everything in our known universe (sounds fun doesn't it?) f.y.i.
RE: Is there an end to space by CookieRevised on 07-19-2004 at 09:11 AM

(Y) I stand corrected....

(btw energy=matter    E=MC^2)

RE: Is there an end to space by sasquatch on 07-19-2004 at 11:56 PM

errr, u just proved energy isn't matter, e=mc^2 means that, in terms of unit, energy = (kg*m^2)/s^2 even tho c is a constant, they are NOT the same :D ... i learned this in physics just now, itz like saying velocity=displacement (distance) becuz v=displacement/time, but we all know that isn't true (i hope) ;)

i also quote http://www.geocities.com/thesciencefiles/emc2/emc2.html (from google)

quote:
Einstein's formula tells us the amount of energy this mass would be equivalent to, if it were all suddenly turned into energy. It says that to find the energy, you multiply the mass by the square of the speed of light, this number being 300,000,000 meters per second (a very large number)
so :P to u again!

edit: i also quote http://www.spacedaily.com/news/darkmatter-02d.html

quote:
To calculate the fraction of the energy in the Universe which is Dark Energy Manchester's Dr. Kyu-Hyun Chae combined the gravitational lens statistics with the latest results on the numbers and types of galaxies in the Universe made with optical telescopes. The result which emerged is that around two thirds of the Universe's energy appears to be Dark Energy.

The remaining third is made up of Dark Matter, whose form is presently unknown, and "ordinary" matter which makes up the stars and planets. For both of these forms of matter gravity acts as normal and attracts.

In contrast Dark Energy has long-range anti-gravity properties and now appears to be causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate, rather than slow down as would be expected if gravity was the dominant force. While astronomers have no idea about what Dark Energy might be, these new results add to their growing confidence that it is real.

and i stand corrected bout the ratios i gave earlier, turns out itz reversed, 2/3 is dark energy while 1/3 is matter/dark matter/animatter and so on
RE: Is there an end to space by illuzn on 07-20-2004 at 01:40 AM

Wow... a lots been said since i left... lets address a few things...

quote:
thousands of years ago the earth was our universe (people believed that stars were lights on a dome which surround the flat earth) and people could not even think that maybe there were other things called planets out there.
hundreds of years ago the solar system was our universe and people could not even fathom the thought that the earth was in fact not the centre of the universe
today most people can't imagine the universe being "flat" or "not closed".... even the best theoretical physicists don't fully understand it... what do they say is outside of the universe
quote:
It is useless to try and find out because the universe is everything
So what im saying is that while today it may seem that humankind will never understand the universe.... maybe in a thousand years maybe in a billion we will understand how the universe came to be.

quote:
errr, u just proved energy isn't matter, e=mc^2
Okay lets get rid of the myth once and for all... this formula interelates mass and energy... basically where there is energy there is mass and where there is mass there must be energy... let me give an example...assume you are standing still you have some amount of energy in you (the binding energy of all the atoms in you body and what not fr outside the scope of this post) now you start running... congratulations you just got heavier.... how can this be? when you start running you changed energy into kinetic energy.... now since E=mc^2 then m=E/c^2 so you would've got heavier (created mass). Now for all of you out there wondering why we can usually see this change in mass its simple... were dividing by c^2 (about 9*10^16 i think could be wrong) so the little change in energy you created leads to a miniscule change in mass. Now if you were creating large amounts of energy then you would create large amounts of mass.... this is why you theoretically can't travel at the speed of light. KE=.5*mv^2 if at speed of light v=c KE=.5mc^2 now
E=mc^2
.5mc^2=mc^2
.5=1 (a ridiculous result) so it seems impossible to travel at exactly the speed of light... you can approach it but never attain it... light (photons) gets around this by having zero mass thus that is why it can travel at the speed of light (and purportedly faster somehow) okay that was kinda off topic

Now in regards to dark matter/dark energy scientists still cannot agree whether it exists or not.... and if it does exist it points towards a universe that is likely not closed

finally scientists cannot why more matter exists than anti-matter.... was it some kind of fluke i hardly think so.... if the big bang theory is correct then why was more matter created than anti matter (it shouldn't happen) or... where did all the anti matter go...

okay enough blabbing on for now... interested to see your thoughts

RE: Is there an end to space by sasquatch on 07-20-2004 at 02:20 AM

quote:
where did all the anti matter go...
wouldn't it be destroyed on the moment it contacted matter? isn't that one of key attributes of anitmatter that allow for possible animatter propulsion and the reason u need to form isolation chambers for antimatter
RE: Is there an end to space by dotNorma on 07-20-2004 at 02:35 AM

Blah , The question to me isnt if Space ends or not but IF space ends then whats beyond space....:S :p

RE: Is there an end to space by Vantage on 07-20-2004 at 02:54 AM

I believe that it is the white light that people see when they die and go towards although i would be willing to go out in space as far as i could even knowing i wouldn't come back but at least i would know

RE: Is there an end to space by Vendetta on 07-20-2004 at 09:41 AM

hmm i dont really know what i think *-)
i think that there isnt an end of space... it would be weird if you were in space with your spaceshuttle and flew as far as possible, but then you stop. you cant go further cause there is some kind of wall blockin' your way. that would be really weird.

but what IS there? i dunno..
i want to know too if there is something beyond space :)

RE: Is there an end to space by illuzn on 07-20-2004 at 09:52 AM

quote:
wouldn't it be destroyed on the moment it contacted matter? isn't that one of key attributes of anitmatter that allow for possible animatter propulsion and the reason u need to form isolation chambers for antimatter

but that's the point why didn't all matter get destroyed the instant it was created in the big bang...

heres the question i want in diagramatical form:
big bang-->theoretically 50% matter 50%anti-matter --> matter and anti-matter anhilate each other-->no earth or solar system or matter for that matter
RE: Is there an end to space by CookieRevised on 07-20-2004 at 10:18 AM

sasquatch, I'm not gonna quote you (too much ;)), but illuzn already made some important comments... Although you learned that energy isn't exactly (mathematicaly) mass/matter (which is correct), it is the same in a sense that you can convert mass to energy and energy to mass (which was what I meant with "energy=matter", it wasn't a mathematicaly correct formula). That's a fundamental law. (at least in theory, we humans can't do it in practice (yet?) unfortunatly, because otherwise all energy problems in the world would be solved)

and "velocity=displacement": that is actually true. Whenever you have velocity you will have speed and therefore, you will have displacement. (Vice versa is a bit different: only when you have displacement and your speed is different, then you have velocity.)

Furthermore, you, without knowing it I think, actually quoted almost exactly Hubble's law (velocity=H x distance, where H is Hubble's constant). This defines the expantion rate of the universe and is a method to measure distant objects ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
I believe that it is the white light that people see when they die and go towards although i would be willing to go out in space as far as i could even knowing i wouldn't come back but at least i would know
You wouldn't know and the traveling would be very very boring, because you wont see much... Although there is a lot in space, it all is very distant appart, it's not like in StartTrek where you push a button and 5 minutes later you come to a new solarsystem... Also, the human can't even leave his own galaxy in his lifespan, you would've already died of extreme old age before you even come close to the "edge" of our galaxy (which is only a very very very very very ... very small dot in the known universe).... The closest galaxy (Andromeda Galaxy) is 2.9 million light years away from the sun. (how do we know this: see this very nice explaination)

(for those who do not know: a light year is not a time refference but a distance refference like kilometers or miles... 1 light year = the distance that light can travel in 1 year, so if humans could travel with the speed of light, it would take 2.9 million years to reach our neighbour galaxy)

To give a very SMALL idea of how big the universe is:
* We all know our solarsystem
* Our galaxy (of which we can see a part of it, known as the Milky Way in the nightsky) consists of billions of such solarsystems
* Our closest neighbour galaxy is 2.9 million light years away called Andromeda Galaxy (travelling at the speed of light, it would take 2.9 million years to reach it.)
* There can be thousands of galaxies in one galaxy-cluster (all distant appart in terms of million of lightyears). Our galaxy-cluster, named The Local Group, is however very very very poor and has only two large spiral galaxies, one small spiral galaxy, two ellipticals galaxies, 13 irregulars, and 14 dwarf ellipticals.
* Clusters also group together on their part to form superclusters. Again there are billions and billions of such superclusters...

A Trip Through the Universe (with actual data): http://magnum.anu.edu.au/%7ETDFgg/Public/Movie/
(note the "dots" you'll see in most part of the "travel sequences" are not stars!, they are galaxies which consist billions of stars)

quote:
or matter for that matter
lol, my head hurts now.... I'm going to enjoy the weather outside now.... EDIT: (damn, it rains)

RE: Is there an end to space by Ice Queen on 07-30-2004 at 05:21 PM

i dont think there is an end to space u know y because it is SPACE and there is alot of it :lol:

RE: Is there an end to space by M73A on 07-31-2004 at 12:05 AM

lol, be weird if the endings to both the men in black films where what the universes are....one in a marble the othe rin a locker! lol

RE: Is there an end to space by kangie on 07-31-2004 at 12:41 PM

space is forever expanding.... and theoretically will keep doing so until it loses momentum and begins to implode :P tbh, we wont know until it happens.... but as far as we are concerned, it just keeps on going....

RE: Is there an end to space by The Napster on 07-31-2004 at 01:28 PM

Ill just say what i think i remember:

Space is forever expanding, so youll never reach the end.
But of cource there are many theories. And i guess well never know cuz its so fucking big.

So who knows... *-)

RE: Is there an end to space by TGG on 07-31-2004 at 01:31 PM

Space must be infinite, because if it were to stop suddenly, there would have to be an infinite amount of matter after it

Space = absence of matter (sort of)

[EDIT]

This may not be true though because space isn't empty

i'm probably wrong, but thats wot i think

[/EDIT]

RE: Is there an end to space by Anubis on 07-31-2004 at 01:38 PM

Or there could just be a place after space where the laws of time and space do not exist, matter can not exist, therefore nothings there...not even time...

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by SonicBoom on 08-02-2004 at 04:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fragged
Well I think that there is an end, in that we can't get past a certain point without going faster than the spped of light but if we could break that rule then we would be set. It's hard to explain, but the universe is moving apart so fast that there are some stars that we will never be able to see. If you wanna understand then read a new scientist from awhile back.

Where do you get that?  You can't go past the speed of light if you are mass because as you approach the speed of light, the energy required to accelerate you any further approaches infinity.  At the speed of light, it takes an infinite amount of energy to accelerate you any further.  As far as we understand, you can move as slowly through space as you'd like, you just won't get very far, and the chances of getting destroyed by a rock or planet are much greater than the chances of you reaching the "end of the universe".

SonicBoom
RE: RE: Is there an end to space by SonicBoom on 08-02-2004 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Muss
It could have bounced off of thing (dust particles, other planets, etc) but then it wouldn't be travelling in a straight line, which is the whole thing behind the experiment.

Unless of course, space-time is curved (which supposedly it is by gravitational forces) in which case the light will follow the contour of space-time, still a straight line along that contour, but "bent".

If you did send a laser beam, I don't think it would have time to hit the "end" of the universe.  As fast as light does travel, it takes years even to reach us from some stars.

SonicBoom
RE: RE: Is there an end to space by SonicBoom on 08-02-2004 at 04:19 AM

quote:
If there is an infinite amount of space but a finite amout of matter, well, it doesn't compute does it, the amount of matter in relation to the amount of space must also be infinitly small and well does that mean there is no matter?

I also read in New Scientist that Earth is a Spherical Geometry, which in small scales looks Euclidean (X, Y, Z all perpendicular). They think that space is the same but instead of being a sphere, it looks like a potato chip.

Just because something is infinitely small does not mean it is insignificant nor does it mean it is non-existant.  A black hole is considered a point in space, of infinite density and fixed mass.  To compress a fixed mass to infinite density, it logically follows that the point would have to be infinitely small.  However, the curvature of space-time around that black hole is definitely significant and even bends light toward it.  I hardly think you can say that that gravitational force does not exist.

SonicBoom
RE: Is there an end to space by Pr0xY on 08-02-2004 at 04:25 AM

I think space could have an end to it, but if we ever came even close to finding it, god would just add on another good chunk of space. 

Anyways, unless theres a big planet out there where the  naked angels from south park live, i dont care about space. 

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by SonicBoom on 08-02-2004 at 04:27 AM

quote:
That's why Maths is stupid

If matter = space (both are infinite)
then how can matter < space

MATHS IS DUMB

Just because space is infinite does not neccessarily mean the amount of matter in that space is infinite.  I believe there is a fixed amount of matter/energy in the universe.  If we take a box, and place a penny inside it, there is exactly one penny.  If we double the box in size, there is still only one penny.  If we take the size of the box out to infinity, there is still only one penny.

RE: Is there an end to space by user27089 on 08-03-2004 at 12:23 PM

but in space, there is mostly this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=286295]

hehe :lol:

CHAPTER 2
SPACE AND TIME
Our present ideas about the motion of bodies date back to Galileo and Newton. Before them people believed
Aristotle, who said that the natural state of a body was to be at rest and that it moved only if driven by a force or
impulse. It followed that a heavy body should fall faster than a light one, because it would have a greater pull
toward the earth.
The Aristotelian tradition also held that one could work out all the laws that govern the universe by pure
thought: it was not necessary to check by observation. So no one until Galileo bothered to see whether bodies
of different weight did in fact fall at different speeds. It is said that Galileo demonstrated that Aristotle’s belief
was false by dropping weights from the leaning tower of Pisa. The story is almost certainly untrue, but Galileo
did do something equivalent: he rolled balls of different weights down a smooth slope. The situation is similar to
that of heavy bodies falling vertically, but it is easier to observe because the Speeds are smaller. Galileo’s
measurements indicated that each body increased its speed at the same rate, no matter what its weight. For
example, if you let go of a ball on a slope that drops by one meter for every ten meters you go along, the ball
will be traveling down the slope at a speed of about one meter per second after one second, two meters per
second after two seconds, and so on, however heavy the ball. Of course a lead weight would fall faster than a
feather, but that is only because a feather is slowed down by air resistance. If one drops two bodies that don’t
have much air resistance, such as two different lead weights, they fall at the same rate. On the moon, where
there is no air to slow things down, the astronaut David R. Scott performed the feather and lead weight
experiment and found that indeed they did hit the ground at the same time.
Galileo’s measurements were used by Newton as the basis of his laws of motion. In Galileo’s experiments, as a
body rolled down the slope it was always acted on by the same force (its weight), and the effect was to make it
constantly speed up. This showed that the real effect of a force is always to change the speed of a body, rather
than just to set it moving, as was previously thought. It also meant that whenever a body is not acted on by any
force, it will keep on moving in a straight line at the same speed. This idea was first stated explicitly in Newton’s
Principia Mathematica, published in 1687, and is known as Newton’s first law. What happens to a body when a
force does act on it is given by Newton’s second law. This states that the body will accelerate, or change its
speed, at a rate that is proportional to the force. (For example, the acceleration is twice as great if the force is
twice as great.) The acceleration is also smaller the greater the mass (or quantity of matter) of the body. (The
same force acting on a body of twice the mass will produce half the acceleration.) A familiar example is
provided by a car: the more powerful the engine, the greater the acceleration, but the heavier the car, the
smaller the acceleration for the same engine. In addition to his laws of motion, Newton discovered a law to
describe the force of gravity, which states that every body attracts every other body with a force that is
proportional to the mass of each body. Thus the force between two bodies would be twice as strong if one of
the bodies (say, body A) had its mass doubled. This is what you might expect because one could think of the
new body A as being made of two bodies with the original mass. Each would attract body B with the original
force. Thus the total force between A and B would be twice the original force. And if, say, one of the bodies had
twice the mass, and the other had three times the mass, then the force would be six times as strong. One can
now see why all bodies fall at the same rate: a body of twice the weight will have twice the force of gravity
pulling it down, but it will also have twice the mass. According to Newton’s second law, these two effects will
exactly cancel each other, so the acceleration will be the same in all cases.
Newton’s law of gravity also tells us that the farther apart the bodies, the smaller the force. Newton’s law of
gravity says that the gravitational attraction of a star is exactly one quarter that of a similar star at half the
distance. This law predicts the orbits of the earth, the moon, and the planets with great accuracy. If the law
were that the gravitational attraction of a star went down faster or increased more rapidly with distance, the
orbits of the planets would not be elliptical, they would either spiral in to the sun or escape from the sun.
The big difference between the ideas of Aristotle and those of Galileo and Newton is that Aristotle believed in a
preferred state of rest, which any body would take up if it were not driven by some force Or impulse. In
particular, he thought that the earth was at rest. But it follows from Newton’s laws that there is no unique

A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking

RE: RE: Is there an end to space by Zink on 08-23-2004 at 02:38 PM

hey! I like this discussion! :p

quote:
heres the question i want in diagramatical form:
big bang-->theoretically 50% matter 50%anti-matter --> matter and anti-matter anhilate each other-->no earth or solar system or matter for that matter

well.. I looked into a web that somebody already post and found this:

quote:
Originally on http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,220659-1,00.html
the universe's first 1/1,000 of a nanosecond.
1) The big bang creates equal amounts of matter and antimatter.
2) One of every billion antimatter particles changes into a particle of matter.
3) Matter and antimatter annihilate each other.
4) The result: Antimatter destroys 99.9999999 percent of the matter in the universe.

so.. if this is true matter can be created from antimatter somehow.. . it's like matter had some predominion against antimatter

RE: Is there an end to space by Anubis on 08-23-2004 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zink

so.. if this is true matter can be created from antimatter somehow.. . it's like matter had some predominion against antimatter

The only thing I want AntiMatter for is to have a huge reactor :p...
And I believe AntiMatter can be created from Matter. In fact the US have a research facility that apparently has small amounts of anti-matter
RE: RE: Is there an end to space by Zink on 08-23-2004 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The only thing I want AntiMatter for is to have a huge reactor :p...

true, that will be like a dream
its a pity that nowadays (and probably forever) is needed more energy to create antimatter than the energy it can produce

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
And I believe AntiMatter can be created from Matter. In fact the US have a research facility that apparently has small amounts of anti-matter

what I heard is that the scientists, using a particle accelerator, were able to create matter and antimatter. after accellerating gamma rays and colliding them in the accelerator..
and they separated the antimatter created so they could analize it..
but I think, as long as I know, there is no way to obtain antimatter directly from matter, it is obtained from energy (gamma rays)