Shoutbox

Vista recorded sound can't be played - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Vista recorded sound can't be played (/showthread.php?tid=82332)

Vista recorded sound can't be played by elfe.chlorophile on 03-13-2008 at 10:12 PM

In Windows Vista, the sound recorder application allows only more to record sounds in the  *.WMA   format. One can NOT choose to save it as   *.WAV   as earlier in XP.

And for alerts, when some friends connect, a   *.WMA   sound can't be selected... no support in Messenger plus... 

I used to record some funny customized "Rob's ooonnnn!" sound to be payed when a friends connects.

I know I could install some freeware to confert data format, but it may be better to enable this in Messenger Plus?

Thanx... I hope it's the right place to submit this...

RE: Vista recorded sound can't be played by pollolibredegrasa on 03-13-2008 at 10:29 PM

Plus does seem to actually support playing WMA files for notifications. Just enter the file name in the when choosing a sound and continue setting up the notification as normal.

It won't allow you to preview it ("This sound cannot be played by Messenger Plus!") but I've just tested it and confirmed it worked on 2 WMA sounds that I tried (using Messenger Plus! Live 4.50.0.312).

Hope this helps

Also, according to Wikipedia:
quote:
Originally posted by Wikipedia
to force Sound Recorder to save as WAV, the user must start Sound Recorder with the command line "soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav".
So this could be a possible solution too.

RE: Vista recorded sound can't be played by ahmetgns on 03-13-2008 at 11:05 PM

I couldn't make .wma's work on my Plus! 4.50 :s I knew your method pollolibredegrasa before and I could make it work at those times but not now, strange.

RE: Vista recorded sound can't be played by Patchou on 03-14-2008 at 02:07 AM

Version 4.51 will allow the proper selection and preview of WMA sounds for event notifications. Thanks for reminding me about it :).