Shoutbox

improved thread icons.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: improved thread icons.. (/showthread.php?tid=82354)

improved thread icons.. by andrey on 03-14-2008 at 06:57 PM

Well, remember when WDZ added the read/unread marking to those thread icons last year?

Since I think that the current default MyBB icons are ugly, I made my own set of thread icons back then:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=894841]
(see WDZ's reply to Improved thread read/unread marking)

The old thread just died and I was too lazy to post a poll, but now you can vote if you want to keep the current icons or prefer the icons I made :cheesy:

Edit: updated the poll and added two more options: triangles and coloured triangles.

RE: improved thread icons.. by Joe on 03-14-2008 at 07:05 PM

I'd say the current are fine, but could you possibly have the coloured triangles, instead of dots? I think it might look better.. just my opinion.

EDIT: Actually, I like yours more, but I'd like the triangles to remain the same.

RE: improved thread icons.. by andrey on 03-14-2008 at 07:41 PM

Okay, I'll add a triangle version to the poll some time tomorrow..

(Although I think the dots fit in better than wdz's weird triangles :tongue:)

RE: improved thread icons.. by Basilis on 03-14-2008 at 08:18 PM

It think they look similar to WDZ's and I consider both to be good. Good job!

RE: improved thread icons.. by duck! on 03-14-2008 at 08:29 PM

I prefer yours, they are more lighter :P

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Goof job!
Rofl
RE: improved thread icons.. by RebelSean on 03-14-2008 at 08:56 PM

I like your's, they look just dandy :p. Good job.

RE: improved thread icons.. by EBFL on 03-14-2008 at 10:45 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/shoutbox.php?hl=31131

RE: improved thread icons.. by djdannyp on 03-14-2008 at 11:17 PM

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79...d=870924#pid870924

my reply remains the same

i'd like a fourth option, the same colourings as the "andrey" icons, but with the black traingles.......i think they look a lot smarter than dots......but the colourings are slightly better on the red icons

RE: improved thread icons.. by MeEtc on 03-14-2008 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
agreed as well. audrey's style icons, with the triangles

RE: improved thread icons.. by Eddie on 03-15-2008 at 02:15 AM

* Eddie doesn't see why its such a big deal...

i prefer the current ones personally, not that i sit here and stare at the icons though :S

RE: improved thread icons.. by CookieRevised on 03-15-2008 at 02:25 AM

I vote for "[ ] I hate it very much when people create duplicated threads for no reason when they just can post in the existing thread, and thus will report it"

RE: improved thread icons.. by andrey on 03-15-2008 at 02:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I vote for "[ ] I hate it very much when people create duplicated threads for no reason when they just can post in the existing thread, and thus will report it"
what? =/
The point of this thread is to have a poll about this, how am I supposed to do this in an existing thread :tongue:

may I just quote wdz from the shoutbox:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/shoutbox.php?hl=30143)
<WDZ> nothing stopping you from posting a poll... :p

RE: improved thread icons.. by Joe on 03-15-2008 at 03:04 AM

quote:
haha.. what?
RE: improved thread icons.. by CookieRevised on 03-15-2008 at 03:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andrey
quote:
what? =/
The point of this thread is to have a poll about this, how am I supposed to do this in an existing thread :tongue:
create poll and link to original thread with it.

Why should a new thread be created? So everybody can post again what they posted in the first thread, to repeat everything what has been said?

quote:
may I just quote wdz from the shoutbox:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/shoutbox.php?hl=30143)
<WDZ> nothing stopping you from posting a poll... :p

Yes, "a poll", this is not "a new discussion thread"...

;)
RE: improved thread icons.. by Joe on 03-15-2008 at 03:18 AM

Without discussion, I wouldn't have been able to tell andrey as easily that I liked his colors with the triangles instead of dots.

RE: improved thread icons.. by CookieRevised on 03-15-2008 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Without discussion, I wouldn't have been able to tell andrey as easily that I liked his colors with the triangles instead of dots.
There is already a discussion, here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79700, that's the whole point :rolleyes:.
RE: improved thread icons.. by andrey on 03-15-2008 at 03:39 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe
There is already a discussion, here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=79700, that's the whole point.
Well the old thread was initially about the read/unread marking feature and things that were added to latest.php, not specifically about replacing all of the thread icons. Thus I do think this deserves a new, seperate discussion in a seperate thread ;)

Btw, I just updated the poll with the triangles as requested.
RE: improved thread icons.. by CookieRevised on 03-15-2008 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Well the old thread was initially about the read/unread marking feature and things that were added to latest.php, not specifically about replacing all of the thread icons. Thus I do think this deserves a new, seperate discussion in a seperate thread ;)
No, those are all excuses,

this same discussion was already done there too:

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
andrey made his own versions of the thread icons, and I'm thinking about uploading them... opinions?
And other people have replied to it also. Including people who again replied to this thread. djdannyp even explicitly linked to his post there. Also, the excuse that it was off topic in the other thread shows that it WAS discussed there and second the discussion there wasn't some one or two small off topic posts, it were many posts.

And even if it was off topic in the other thread, then it could/should have been split. But now, if you still would split it, you end up with 3 threads about the same thing. So those are all excuses.

I'm sorry for my rant, but we say to new people not to create threads about the same stuff and to use the search feature, and we complain that the forums get cluttered, etc..... Why should this be ANY different?? Again, there is already a perfect good thread about this very same subject. No reason why there should be another thread about the new improved icons....

You could have simply made a poll and kept the discussion in one thread, in my (very strong, off topic) opinion.

--

anyways, let's T&T'ify my rant :p
RE: improved thread icons.. by Oxy on 03-15-2008 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by duck!
quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Goof job!
Rofl
quote: