Shoutbox

Remote access - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Remote access (/showthread.php?tid=82423)

Remote access by bio_hazard13 on 03-17-2008 at 12:35 PM

Ok I'm going to try and explain the set up I have got and what I'm trying to do.  May take a few goes but hopefully you guys will be able to understand and be able to help me in what I'm trying here.

Ok I have both a laptop and a main pc.  I use the main pc for most of my stuff but sometime I just wanna go and lie down in my bedroom on the laptop still talking to people.

Now I have all my chat logs on the main pc and use the network to save any chats i make on the laptop onto the main pc.  I also download things on that pc and can control the app from the laptop over the web using a web gui.

What I want to know is, is it possible to somehow turn off the main pc from the laptop when I am finished using the connections I am making?  As sometimes when I'm working in my bedroom I end up going straight to bed, and as the main pc is two floors down and at the other side of the house, I don't really want to go all the way down there to turn it off.  Is there anything I can set up to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

RE: Remote access by matty on 03-17-2008 at 01:15 PM

If you use an application called RealVNC it will allow you to control the other computer. Doing this you can use the start button on the PC to shut it down without being infront of it.

http://realvnc.com

RE: Remote access by Jimbo on 03-17-2008 at 03:07 PM

I personally prefer UltraVNC as its relly easy to install as a system service so it starts up when windows starts up, but its really up to you. If you want one that doesnt require any installation at all, use TightVNC. (Search google for download links, im too lazy:P)

RE: Remote access by Jesus on 03-17-2008 at 07:44 PM

or just use remote desktop...
it's built into windows so you can probably use it without setting anything up (except maybe enable it on the target PC in My Computer's properties)
You won't see a "Shut Down" option in the start menu, but if you choose "Windows Security", the tast manager will pop up, allowing you to shut the machine down.

RE: Remote access by MeEtc on 03-17-2008 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
You won't see a "Shut Down" option in the start menu
Uhh, yes there is. I use it all the time

RE: RE: Remote access by Jesus on 03-17-2008 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
You won't see a "Shut Down" option in the start menu
Uhh, yes there is. I use it all the time

No there isn't, at least not in XP
[Image: attachment.php?pid=895555]
Afmelden=Log Off
Verbinding Verbreken=Disconnect
Windows-beveiliging=Windows Security
RE: Remote access by MeEtc on 03-17-2008 at 08:06 PM

ahh, I use RDP to Win 2003

RE: Remote access by Jarrod on 03-18-2008 at 04:52 AM

can't you just click start>run>shutdown?

RE: Remote access by markee on 03-18-2008 at 01:11 PM

There seems to be some command line stuff with shutdown.exe, but I have never been ale to use it.  The following line gives you an interface to use, and apparently you can add in computers there, but I don't know what the privileges or system requirements are....

code:
shutdown -i

RE: Remote access by Jesus on 03-18-2008 at 01:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
apparently you can add in computers there
lol indeed, had some fun with that at school a few years ago :P
RE: Remote access by Steven on 03-23-2008 at 12:54 AM

www.logmein.com for vnc alternitave, personally i like logmein best.