Shoutbox

help with itunes - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: help with itunes (/showthread.php?tid=82454)

help with itunes by azn angel on 03-18-2008 at 11:36 PM

I hate itunes but for the sake of my sister im installing it.

I have a few questions though.

If i install it on my computer and put a whole lot of songs on her ipod, can she then install it on her computer and have all the music still work? or will there be conflicts and what not

also, if i uninstall it, will i get issues with my music? like the deletion of my music collection?

RE: help with itunes by Voldemort on 03-19-2008 at 03:16 AM

hai love!!
hahaha
you can't use an ipod on two computers, you can only use it on one computer with one ipod install. you need to connect her ipod her computer, enable disk usage and manual sync, connect it to your computer and use a program such as floola to get your music on it. if both of you used a program like floola, you wouldn't have these issues. (basically itunes sucks and its a damn hassle and its better to use alternative ipod managers)

quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
also, if i uninstall it, will i get issues with my music? like the deletion of my music collection?
no, unless you let it delete your library along with your music
RE: help with itunes by azn angel on 03-19-2008 at 04:17 AM

ooh thanks

RE: help with itunes by matty on 03-19-2008 at 04:38 AM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61148

RE: RE: help with itunes by djdannyp on 03-19-2008 at 11:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
hai love!!
hahaha
you can't use an ipod on two computers, you can only use it on one computer with one ipod install. you need to connect her ipod her computer, enable disk usage and manual sync, connect it to your computer and use a program such as floola to get your music on it. if both of you used a program like floola, you wouldn't have these issues. (basically itunes sucks and its a damn hassle and its better to use alternative ipod managers)
quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
no, unless you let it delete your library along with your music

well that's wrong, lol

you most definitely CAN use an ipod on two computers, just make sure it's not set to auto-sync (if the libraries on the two computers aren't synced).  then you can just drag and drop files onto the ipod from within itunes, you don't need "floola" or anything else, itunes works perfectly fine and i've used it for 4 years (since i got my first ipod) with no problems whatsoever

no need to enable disk usage either, you just need to have auto- sync disabled, otherwise each time you plugged the ipod into the respective computers it would erase the ipod contents and replace it with the whole library from the computer

with manual sync on you can just drag and drop new files onto the ipod in itunes
RE: help with itunes by Voldemort on 03-19-2008 at 02:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
with manual sync on you can just drag and drop new files onto the ipod in itunes
no, you still can't do that on two computers...
RE: help with itunes by xJ + on 03-19-2008 at 03:10 PM

quote:
quote:
well, I did that.. Drag and dropped using alternate PCs and nothing happen..

really.
RE: help with itunes by Jimbo on 03-19-2008 at 04:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by xJ +
quote:
quote:
well, I did that.. Drag and dropped using alternate PCs and nothing happen..

really.
The older versions of itunes could do this i think, but from 7.0 upwards, this was disabled, no?
RE: help with itunes by xJ + on 03-19-2008 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
The older versions of itunes could do this i think, but from 7.0 upwards, this was disabled, no?
eh, nope..
Perhaps, my nano is the first generation and allows me to do that.

quote:
You can manage your iPod with different computers as long as the computers are running the same operating system (Mac OS X or Windows) and you have set the iPod to "Manually manage music." If you're not using iTunes 7 or later, click here.

Source

RE: help with itunes by djdannyp on 03-19-2008 at 07:07 PM

my ipod and itunes are fully updated on two computers and i have no problems with it

RE: RE: help with itunes by matt on 03-21-2008 at 10:08 PM

quote:
my ipod and itunes are fully updated on two computers and i have no problems with it

i do the same thing.  i have use itunes in many computers, but the point is that i do the sync manually. 

the only risk is that if you have movies or tv shows in your ipod and you try to sync or by error you sync it with the itunes that you are trying to use (which is other than the one, where you have the movies or tv shows), then you will loose the videos and will have the music from the new one.

let's say that itunes is not fully operational yet. :^)
RE: help with itunes by absorbation on 03-22-2008 at 12:51 PM

My iPod syncs with two computers using its normal method :S

RE: help with itunes by azn angel on 03-23-2008 at 01:24 PM

Does it matter which computer i FIRST use the ipod with?
I mean can i install itunes and use it first on my computer and then on a different one and it have some sort of weird preference for the first computer?