Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out (/showthread.php?tid=82472)

Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Patchou on 03-19-2008 at 09:02 PM

Hi,

a new version of Messenger Plus! is now available for download! Many things have been updated in version 4.60 but if you’re not a script or a skin developer, chances are you won’t see much difference compared with the last update. Still, among the improvements you’ll notice that WMA sound files can be selected for Custom Notifications, all the extra Plus! features now work fine in Mobile Device chat windows, and notification popups are now shown in a better way.

If you’re a script developer, you’ll find many new functions of interest in this release, like UploadFileFTP,  GetElementPos, ExtractFromZIP and support for synchronous callbacks with GetCallbackPtr. Skin developers will enjoy even more improvements, like DateRange restrictions to make your skin change depending on the current date, advanced new features for Color resources to create customized colorization values and gradient colors, the addition of Font elements to distribute and use special fonts in your skin, the possibility to create a separate About Box window, Environment tags for PlusSkin elements to create conditions based on things like the current version of Messenger, and more! Just check the Change Log and download the latest version of the documentations to see it all.

Of course, even if you’re just a simple user, all the updates that are related to scripts and skins still concern you. You’ll need the latest version of Messenger Plus! to be able to enjoy upcoming scripts and skins that make use of these improvements (and trust me, some good stuff awaits you in the near future for both, many very talented people now work on Messenger Plus! extensions). Also, in addition to all these updates, the new version contains an extra dose of bug fixes to make the software even more stable and enjoyable which brings me to something special I wanted to talk about.

Almost anybody who’s been using Windows for an extended period of time knows about the “Send Error Report” window. This window popups when a program crashes and asks if you want to send additional information to Microsoft about the problem. What some of you may not realize is how precious this information can be and how useful this system is. The reports are gathered together, classified, organised and made available to the associated software developer by the Windows Quality Online Services (Winqual) team at Microsoft. For years this team has helped me improve Messenger Plus! with the reports you’ve sent. Tens and tens of important errors have been found and fixed thanks to the service they provide. I’m proud to be able to deliver a highly reliable product to my users and I wanted to point out that my job would be much more difficult sometimes if the Winqual team was not here to help. The people who work in Winqual are among the most professional people I’ve worked with at Microsoft and I just wanted to thank them for the service they provide, especially considering that most people have no idea of who they are and what they do ;-).

Thank you for using Messenger Plus! and keep on sending those error reports when prompted :-). Have fun with the new release!

Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by MeEtc on 03-19-2008 at 09:04 PM

w00t!
* MeEtc downloads and installs right away

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by NanaFreak on 03-19-2008 at 09:06 PM

=o wtf... this is like unexpected

but oh well... woot ;o

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Lou on 03-19-2008 at 09:08 PM

Awesome news. Time to update my beta then :P.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Vilkku on 03-19-2008 at 09:08 PM

New release :D Didn't know the Winqual team actually sent information to you as well :o

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Nagamasa on 03-19-2008 at 09:08 PM

Oh yay! Downloading right now...

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by roflmao456 on 03-19-2008 at 09:09 PM

lol never knew :cheesy:
until adam told me with his (!VER) <3

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Basilis on 03-19-2008 at 09:12 PM

Thanks Patchou. Those are great news for all us developers

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by felipEx on 03-19-2008 at 09:19 PM

Thanks Patchou, i love the new features :)

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
lol never knew :cheesy:
meh, i knew about it  because PortalMes.com (a dodgy spanish website) was talking about a rumour...   :/

* felipEx downloads and installs right now =D
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by prashker on 03-19-2008 at 09:22 PM

*downloads*

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Quantum on 03-19-2008 at 09:50 PM

Great!

* Quantum downloads

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by GiantSpider on 03-19-2008 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
Awesome news. Time to update my beta then :P.
:D
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Choli on 03-19-2008 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The reports are gathered together, classified, organised and made available to the associated software developer by the Windows Quality Online Services (Winqual) team at Microsoft
I've always thought that those reports where useless, as nobody would read or care about them and even less take any action to fix the problem... but it seems I was wrong. I'll send them from now on.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Spunky on 03-19-2008 at 09:57 PM

Damn work! I'm not going again because I'll be late to download it again :(

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by MicroWay on 03-19-2008 at 10:05 PM

Great news Patchou!!!
* MicroWay downloaded and imediatly installed it :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Basilis on 03-19-2008 at 10:07 PM

An important question: Will the skinning documentation be updated also?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Nagamasa on 03-19-2008 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I know for sure that the SkinInfo diagram in the documentation is updated already, but the Schema documentation hasn't (can't find the word "font".
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Sunshine on 03-19-2008 at 11:25 PM

Installed, wrote article on my website and of course updated the version in my DB (mirror, in case someone needs it) as well :)

[Image: sunnynana.gif]

Thanks Patchou :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Eddie on 03-19-2008 at 11:40 PM

Nice new update, will install when i get home xD

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Patchou on 03-19-2008 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
It was supposed to be done already but I screwed up somewhere during the re-build, thank you for noticing. You can now get the proper update (just reinstall Plus! and click on the documentation button or get it from the Skin DB).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Jesus on 03-20-2008 at 12:52 AM

Woot new version :D I'll install as soon as I finish this post :P

which is... about now

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Lt.Col.DraGon on 03-20-2008 at 01:18 AM

Great job Patchou!, keep up the good work (y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Bionic on 03-20-2008 at 02:09 AM

Thanks for the heads up! :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by John Anderton on 03-20-2008 at 05:57 AM

Now I have to download this again even though this is the same as the last beta with a version bump :P
* John Anderton blames Patchey for wasting his bytes :P

New MP!L :D Good job sPatch :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by High Speed Chaser on 03-20-2008 at 06:45 AM

Thanks Patchou! Keep up the great work

* High Speed Chaser updates to 4.60

Thank you so much for putting a filter so you can filter yourself out of the event viewer!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Th3rmal on 03-20-2008 at 06:53 AM

gr8 job, downloaded it as soon as i cam home from school. Youre on a roll patchou! have a day off, its on me.

hmm when will you be requiring new beta testers?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by raghav on 03-20-2008 at 06:55 AM

Great work Patchou.

*raghav downloads and installs

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by x2zen on 03-20-2008 at 07:47 AM

Great job :D (y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by markee on 03-20-2008 at 09:34 AM

So when are we going to lose the "feature" in the script editor so that if we have a long line of code we don't need to separate it onto multiple lines....?

I was hoping this would be fixed, but apparently not :sad:

Oh and can we get an easy way to clear the debugger in the script editor window as well? Even if this was something under "Options".

And on a final note, thank for the added functionality with being able to change text in the windows, this is going to make translation function for scripts a whole lot easier and quicker <3

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by effection on 03-20-2008 at 11:17 AM

woop thank you patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by absorbation on 03-20-2008 at 01:16 PM

Finally! Yet another great release (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by matty on 03-20-2008 at 01:40 PM

quote:
You’ll need the latest version of Messenger Plus! to be able to enjoy upcoming scripts and skins that make use of these improvements (and trust me, some good stuff awaits you in the near future for both, many very talented people now work on Messenger Plus! extensions).
* matty wonders who these people could be...

Awesome Pitcho! Glad I could help with the beta testing!
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Basilis on 03-20-2008 at 04:27 PM

I also noticed that the features page in the website is not updated to version 4.60. It still says 4.50. Just informing

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Matti on 03-20-2008 at 05:28 PM

Damnit! Downloading! :D

EDIT: Installed, and works great! Now the cool things I added in Countdown Live 2 (to be released) will work for everyone. :P

Great work, Patchou! (y)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by stuartbennett on 03-20-2008 at 06:36 PM

thanks patchou, however i cannot find any trace of any new schema files or documentation for skinning so how do we find out the syntax for taking advantage of these new features? some of the new skinning features are stuff i want to use in my skin but cant until these updates are done or atleast found lol.

skinning docs still say they are from december 4th 2007

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by blessedguy on 03-20-2008 at 06:50 PM

Nice!
the new skin docs(available at least when you click Documentation at the Options Menu) hasn't really changed at all...only addapted to the new features...you could've at least taught a lil more about the AboutBox...
Very nice features for us!!
Loved the new extration reasources naming (img_referencenumber), it is really goint to be helpful
Well...lets get to work...

(p.s.: why don't you add a way to automatically update the skins, like it is with the scripts?)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by matty on 03-20-2008 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
(p.s.: why don't you add a way to automatically update the skins, like it is with the scripts?)
Scripts don't have this. It is up to the developer themselves.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by blessedguy on 03-20-2008 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
Scripts don't have this. It is up to the developer themselves.
Didn't know that...all the scripots I've used do that, so I thought it was a plus feature...thanks for the info!
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by stuartbennett on 03-20-2008 at 07:16 PM

yes i agree with blessedguy, i can set an aboutid but i dont know whether i need to make a seperate file for the about box or if i added to the existing file, if i add to existing file then how? if i use a seperate file then how do i get it to know which file does what? so many unanswered questions.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Patchou on 03-20-2008 at 08:32 PM

Skin auto-updating is scheduled for the next version.

As for the documentation, if you see no change, get it again from the server. The Schema's documentation should include a "Fonts" element on the root (I had wrongly updated the file the day of the update).

You are right though, I should add more information to the documentaiton. I'm counting on the new tutorials section of the skin's database to fil lthe gaps. For the About Boxes: just create another window in the file you specified in <InterfaceFile>. You can find some more information about that in the documentation, "Options for Advanced Users" section, bottom of the page.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by ahmetgns on 03-20-2008 at 10:41 PM

Thanks for the new features and new functions of skins&scripts.

However I didn't like one thing with this update. You added a new ChkAccept2 key in translation file which is used when importing Skins from Windows shell however you neither requested the updated sentences from us (translators) nor created that key yourself in all the translation files with the same value of the ChkAccept key which is just above that ChkAccept2 (I thought you'll do so since you said "translators, don't worry about it" and didn't want us to update our files). But now users of Messenger Plus! translations will have to see English sentence for checkbox while importing Skins, which is the most new&popular feature, from shell and it is just wrong according to me :(

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Patchou on 03-21-2008 at 05:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
You added a new ChkAccept2 key in translation file which is used when importing Skins from Windows shell however you neither requested the updated sentence...
Sorry about that, fixed and re-uploaded.

quote:
however theres no way for my users to get into it so how do i let them access it
Please read the documentation more carefully :).
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by blessedguy on 03-21-2008 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Skin auto-updating is scheduled for the next version.

As for the documentation, if you see no change, get it again from the server. The Schema's documentation should include a "Fonts" element on the root (I had wrongly updated the file the day of the update).

You are right though, I should add more information to the documentaiton. I'm counting on the new tutorials section of the skin's database to fil lthe gaps. For the About Boxes: just create another window in the file you specified in <InterfaceFile>. You can find some more information about that in the documentation, "Options for Advanced Users" section, bottom of the page.
Finally...I release updates so oftenly...that i think users don't even know what version they are on! (althoug...they just need to check the About Messenger box...).
Oh, the Sknning Documentation works fine...to update to the new one just delete the old one in the main skins folder and click on the documentation link at the skins menu...i think its the same for scripts.

[Edited by moderator: The AboutWnd topic has been split to the skinning forum]
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by matt on 03-21-2008 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Finally...I release updates so oftenly...that i think users don't even know what version they are on! (althoug...they just need to check the About Messenger box...).
Oh, the Sknning Documentation works fine...to update to the new one just delete the old one in the main skins folder and click on the documentation link at the skins menu...i think its the same for scripts.

it is true.  i am still trying to get familiarized with all the options, features, etc.  but thank you for this Patchou.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Dragunov on 03-23-2008 at 11:25 PM

Once again, a marvelous job done by you

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by CookieRevised on 03-24-2008 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Almost anybody who’s been using Windows for an extended period of time knows about the “Send Error Report” window. This window popups when a program crashes and asks if you want to send additional information to Microsoft about the problem. What some of you may not realize is how precious this information can be and how useful this system is. The reports are gathered together, classified, organised and made available to the associated software developer by the Windows Quality Online Services (Winqual) team at Microsoft. For years this team has helped me improve Messenger Plus! with the reports you’ve sent. Tens and tens of important errors have been found and fixed thanks to the service they provide. I’m proud to be able to deliver a highly reliable product to my users and I wanted to point out that my job would be much more difficult sometimes if the Winqual team was not here to help. The people who work in Winqual are among the most professional people I’ve worked with at Microsoft and I just wanted to thank them for the service they provide, especially considering that most people have no idea of who they are and what they do ;-).
I'm so glad to hear that these reports do not go unnoticed. Indeed, everybody should do this (and put those paranoid and hear-says like "M$ is spying on you" aside). I've always clicked on "send reports" whenever the dialog appears and it is indeed one of the first things I do enable when installing Windows.

It is funny how many times people complain about Windows and how it crashes regulary etc, yet they also quite often don't provide such valuable reports back to MS when something does go wrong because they think "M$ is spying and gathering my precious personal info".

It isn't emphesized enough how important such a service is....

Also, for those who don't know this yet. For Windows Live Messenger there are very similar services dedicated to your precious IM client. You can active these by going to:

Tools > Options > Connections > Advanced Settings > Save a log of my server connection to help troubleshoot connection problems.
This log will be saved as msnmsgr.txt, by default in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger (XP) or C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger (Vista).

and:

Tools > Options > General > Allow MS to collect anonymous info about your Messenger usage

note: exact phrases my differ, I don't have the English version atm
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Patchou on 03-24-2008 at 05:28 AM

It's true that some people unfortunatley mis-interpret those report as a desire of spying. I can tell you right now that the information that's sent (which is the information that I get on my side) is very limited and only covers the following: version of Windows, version of all the DLLs loaded in the process that crashed, and a small memory dump of the process to help find the cause of the crash (and this dump is far from being a full process memory dump so you can't even fear that the developer will get stuff like your passwords as stored in memory).

Basically, the only thing that's sent is anonymous information to help the developers fix problems in their software. And no, we don't get the IP of the source, not even the country.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by stuartbennett on 03-24-2008 at 08:44 AM

i am glad those reports help you out patchou, i have always clicked on "send report" when getting those errors, i do also take advantage of all of microsoft's customer experience programs ticking that option whenever i see it, didnt know about saving the server logs but now cokkierevised has pointed it out ive set that up to.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by BlackStar on 05-11-2008 at 07:41 PM

I hade a message fro Betanews that there is a new version: 4.60.326
released 2008-05-06

I can't find anything here or elsewhere about it!
Now history logs, nothing!

No update in my own MSP!
Nothing here in the Forum.
What is going on here!!!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by blessedguy on 05-11-2008 at 08:45 PM

Version 4.60.326 is the one currently available at the download page:

quote:
Originally posted by download page

Messenger Plus! Live 4.60.326
released on:
May 6th 2008

Think it is a minor version... maybe just fixed some bugs
RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by CookieRevised on 05-11-2008 at 09:33 PM

There was a silent update to fix a small security issue.

Simply download the new version, as always, from the official site...

No need to search any further than that; The latest update, if there is one, will _always_ be available from the official site.

http://www.msgpluslive.net/

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by mnrr on 05-29-2008 at 06:36 PM

Thanks Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 is out by Pipish on 06-03-2008 at 06:46 AM

Good to see everything is all still going well its been ages since ive been around here keep up the good work mate