Shoutbox

Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. (/showthread.php?tid=82474)

Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by Quantum on 03-19-2008 at 09:56 PM

Every time a quote a post from .Lou i get:

Welcome back, john-t. You last visited: Today, 06:57 PM
Private Messages: New 0, Unread 0, Total 178.

In the quote. It only happens with .Lou in my thread about Easter eggs in my app.

* Quantum = :S

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by foaly on 03-19-2008 at 09:58 PM

quickquote is bugged... try selecting the post and quickquote again...

if you don't use quickquote then it should work....

RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge... by toddy on 03-19-2008 at 09:58 PM

if you have text selected and press quick quote, it will quote the text selected with the name of which ever user is linked to the quick quote button

RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge... by Quantum on 03-19-2008 at 09:59 PM

I didn't select text. Its still happening only with .Lou

RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge... by aNILEator on 03-19-2008 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
wft just happend there? I Q.Quoted your post.. (Smilie)(Smilie)

Yeah It's buggy, you sometimes need to click on the post you want to quote first, others select the text etc.
RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge... by toddy on 03-19-2008 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
Yeah It's buggy,
not it used corrected
quote:
you sometimes need to click on the post you want to quote first
only if you have selected other text beforehand, otherwise it works fine
RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge... by aNILEator on 03-19-2008 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Yeah It's buggy,
not it used corrected
quote:
you sometimes need to click on the post you want to quote first
only if you have selected other text beforehand, otherwise it works fine

Nah it is buggy for more than a few members here.

I never select text and it will randomly decide to change a posts username or do a completely different message or a blank message, with just username. I generally curse then click it again before posting
RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge... by vaccination on 03-19-2008 at 10:15 PM

It works as it should, quotes post you click button on, or quotes text you've selected with users name of post you clicked button.

it's buggy in sense that it will quote text you've selected but clicked away from, but all you gotta do is click q. quote button again

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by user35870 on 03-19-2008 at 10:15 PM

Try clearing your cache to get a fresh copy of the JavaScript files and then restart your browser.   

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by ShawnZ on 03-19-2008 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris UK
Try clearing your cache to get a fresh copy of the JavaScript files and then restart your browser.

wtf?! what does that have to do with it? he's obviously just selected his PM text at one point, and his browser is still saying it's selected or something...
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by WDZ on 03-20-2008 at 12:00 AM

It's not a quick quote bug, it's either a browser bug or the result of you selecting something by mistake. The quick quote feature simply asks the browser for the "range of text selected by the user." That should be blank if you haven't selected anything. O_o

quote:
Originally posted by vax
it's buggy in sense that it will quote text you've selected but clicked away from
True, but that's kind of a limitation... I think the feature would stop working properly in certain browsers if I changed it. =p
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by -dt- on 03-20-2008 at 02:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
It's not a quick quote bug, it's either a browser bug or the result of you selecting something by mistake. The quick quote feature simply asks the browser for the "range of text selected by the user." That should be blank if you haven't selected anything. O_o

quote:
Originally posted by vax
it's buggy in sense that it will quote text you've selected but clicked away from
True, but that's kind of a limitation... I think the feature would stop working properly in certain browsers if I changed it. =p
I could see if i could improve it a little :P
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by NanaFreak on 03-20-2008 at 05:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

quote:
Originally posted by vax
I could see if i could improve it a little :P
do it!
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by -dt- on 03-20-2008 at 06:58 AM

heres the new improved code :P

tested in IE and firefox

this new one should fix the crazy selection issues (blame the function quickquotesel1 for that : <) and if you're using a browser that supports selectionStart and selectionEnd then it should preserve the caret position :D

GM version:
http://version.thedt.net/scripts/GM/quickquotetester.user.js

code:

function quickquote(pid){

var sel = getCurrentSelection();
    var messageElement = document.getElementsByName('message')[0];
    if(!sel || sel == ""){
        var postdata = document.getElementsByName('qq' + pid)[0].value;
        var username = document.getElementsByName('qqu' + pid)[0].value;
        insertAtCurrentSelection("[quote=" + username + "]" + postdata + "[/quote]\r\n", messageElement);
    }else{
        insertAtCurrentSelection("[quote]" + sel + "[/quote]\n", messageElement);
    }
}

//inserts at the current selection and moves carret
function insertAtCurrentSelection(text, element){
    if(element.selectionStart !== undefined && element.selectionEnd !== undefined){
        var value = element.value;
        var startString = value.substring(0, element.selectionStart);
        var endString = value.substring(element.selectionEnd, value.length);
        var newSelPos = element.selectionEnd + text.length;
        element.value = startString + text + endString;
        element.focus();
        element.setSelectionRange(newSelPos, newSelPos);
    }else{
        //IE doesnt have per input selection, only document.selection, so we cannot insert at the correct position :(
        element.value += text;
        element.focus();
    }

}

function getCurrentSelection(){
    //good browsers
    if(window.getSelection){
        return window.getSelection().toString();
    //IE
    }else if(document.selection && document.selection.type == 'Text' && document.selection.createRange){
        return document.selection.createRange().text;
    }else{
        return false;
    }
}

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by WDZ on 03-20-2008 at 08:51 AM

Looks nice, but IIRC the old code "cached" the selected text for a reason: in some browsers (not sure which :tongue:), clicking the [Image: qquote.gif] button will actually unselect the text before quickquote() has a chance to grab it.

I read that using onmousedown instead of onclick for the button will solve that problem though... :\

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by -dt- on 03-20-2008 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Looks nice, but IIRC the old code "cached" the selected text for a reason: in some browsers (not sure which :tongue:), clicking the [Image: qquote.gif] button will actually unselect the text before quickquote() has a chance to grab it.

I read that using onmousedown instead of onclick for the button will solve that problem though... :\
hm i thought that might have been why, but in a test with IE7 and firefox it seemed fine. probably an IE6 thing...
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by Quantum on 03-20-2008 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:

wtf?! what does that have to do with it? he's obviously just selected his PM text at one point, and his browser is still saying it's selected or something...

No. I didn't and never have...
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by WDZ on 03-21-2008 at 05:15 AM

The improved code is online now... I tested it in IE6 and it actually works fine, so that's good enough for me.

@dt: I didn't like how your code omitted the username when quoting selected text, so I removed that "feature." :p

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by John Anderton on 03-21-2008 at 05:58 AM

quote:
Not really.. this is possibly one of the oldest forum bugs ever..
Quick Quote works in such a way that it allows you to quote the last text for an entire post instead of the entire post ie you can quote only this one line from my post and leave everything else out. For that purpose it checks the selected/last selected text on that page by you.. if that happens to not be the same post as you clicked the quick quote button then.. well it can't do anything (meaning highlighting my post and clicking the quick quote button on say ShawnZ's post would show ShawnZ had said what I did).

Solution is to reselect what you want to actually quote and then click the quick quote button on that person's post.
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by user35870 on 03-21-2008 at 11:06 AM

Oh, ok - didn't know about that bug :P.

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by Jarrod on 03-22-2008 at 09:12 PM

WDZ: now it doesn't support internet explorer ce. change it back.......
jokes, i'll live

RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by vikke on 03-22-2008 at 09:28 PM

Why does the first posts in this thread say:
"RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge..." ?
Is that a forum-bug?

blah... you can enter anything here :p by WDZ on 03-22-2008 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vikke
Why does the first posts in this thread say:
"RE: Looking for an avatar to use in an easter egg in take the challenge..." ?
Is that a forum-bug?
No, some posts were moved here from that thread, and they keep their original subjects.
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by John Anderton on 03-23-2008 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Oh, ok - didn't know about that bug :P.
You've been here longer than me. lol.
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by -dt- on 03-23-2008 at 08:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by xen0h
jokes, i'll live
use opera :P
RE: RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by Jarrod on 03-23-2008 at 08:48 AM

quote:
quote:
jokes, i'll live

but -dt- I'm ment to pay for it
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by John Anderton on 03-23-2008 at 08:57 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
jokes, i'll live

http://getfirefox.com
RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by -dt- on 03-23-2008 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
quote:
quote:
jokes, i'll live

for windows mobile?

use minimo
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/

:P not sure how good it is....
RE: RE: Every time i quote a post from .Lou i get.. by Jarrod on 03-23-2008 at 12:13 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
quote:
quote:
jokes, i'll live

for windows mobile?

use minimo
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/minimo/

:P not sure how good it is....

minimo is great; it has tabbed browsing, a bookmarks home page, best of all 100% ajax support...but if you click it a text area of the forum it crashes.
back to pIE/IEce I guess

[I quoted your whole post 'cos the 'quick quote' isn't working :p